Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Plus Putin was a Lieutenant Colonel in the KGB and head of the FSB, a successor to the KGB. I mean, he's pretty gangsta as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Yeah, he's a Cold War spook and many Americans conservatives feel nostalgic for those days gone by. They were simpler times when men were men and you knew who and where your enemy was.

That and a former KGB guy rising to the highest rank in the land and participating in world politics is some straight up IRL Tom Clancy poo poo.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Obama is a dark jedi.

Syria

9/11 + Syria

Obamacare + Syria

Detroit + Syria

Putin + Syria

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Sir Rolo posted:

Putin + Syria

There is no response.

Just none.

Are they that naive or do they just hate (their conception of) Obama that much?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Anniversary posted:

Do you really need to ask?

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

What 2014 presidential elections?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ferroque posted:

What 2014 presidential elections?

Seriously, didn't you read about Obama's secret personal security force that is turning people to the Dark Side?

I just hope Rand Paul can bullseye womp rats in his T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.

Also:

This isn't an argument, it's just contradiction!

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Is Monte Python anywhere near Monte Carlo?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Sir Rolo posted:

Detroit + Syria

I love how this neatly ignores that the debate during the Presidential campaign was over the auto makers in Detroit, not the city itself.

What do you mean Wall St refers to a particular industry/group of corporations and not just a geographic location!? :hurr:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I love the fact that suddenly Republicans are FOR federal spending on infrastructure.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

I love the fact that suddenly Republicans are FOR federal spending on infrastructure.

I really hope this is the endgame in Obama's 11-dimensional chessgame.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I really hope this is the endgame in Obama's 11-dimensional chessgame.

Heh. 11 dimensional reverse psychology? I have to admit the notion is amusing, but it only seems to work about 5-10% of the time. The other times, the kneejerk response is to go super duper conservative rather than wrapping around so hardcore their positions become liberal.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Rolo posted:

Obamacare + Syria
The Constitution of the Russian Federation provided all citizens the right to free healthcare under Mandatory Medical Insurance in 1996. Due to some...problems quality went down until Putin, in 2006, made it a National Project, using public funds, to build it back up.

Obamacare IS worse than Socialized Medicine! Good observation let's get some Russian style healthcare over here!

Sir Rolo posted:

Putin + Syria
Yes. The 2014 Presidential Elections... Stupid Liberals don't you know anything about America??

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Obviously Obama is going to be kicked out of office by the end of the year, duh :downs:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Every American who thinks that Putin would be a great president are by their own definitions traitors and should exile themselves. That or at least shut the gently caress up because of the millions of Russians who loving hate Putin, half of whom are most likely better than him.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Wow, this is some grade school bitching here. One was used, the other wasn't.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
"Only a few hundred people died, no big." - LL101

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Also "military action" now apparently has no meaning other than deploying ground forces.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

ShortStack posted:

Also this thread.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

ShortStack posted:

And these are the same people who think the four deaths from the Benghazi attack were a massive world-changing disaster and that Obama should be impeached for it. I guess some peoples' lives are worth more than others.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I calculated it once, I think it came out to the life of one American being equal to that of roughly 450 Middle Easterners.

:smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ShortStack posted:

I calculated it once, I think it came out to the life of one American being equal to that of roughly 450 Middle Easterners.

:smith:

I'm taking bets on how long it takes fo this to be seen by someone as proof of how much better America is.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

OwlFancier posted:

I'm taking bets on how long it takes fo this to be seen by someone as proof of how much better America is.

I'm pretty sure it's already the subtitle for the RNC.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Anniversary posted:

There is no response.

Just none.

They are literally fascists.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Fulchrum posted:

In fairness, Putin also has pecs, whereas Kim Jong Un has a double chin. Its sorta the difference between the fat, smelly kid talking about how he managed to fight three gangs at once, you guys, versus a douchebag at the gym who's obviously on steroids talking about how he could flip a car if he felt like it. He looks like he's crazy enough to try it.
Also, Kin Jong-Un sort of looks like a man-sized toddler.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Not to mention that they probably only "calculated" it by doing something like (number of victims * average lethal dosage), not accounting for things like dispersion etc. I think it was mentioned in the middle east thread that the type of missile used in the attacks could hold as much as 50 kg of Sarin, so even by their ridiculous logic of "more gas=more bad" it doesn't hold up.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

They start with the lovely one liner and work their way backwards to nothing.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 15, 2013

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

Is this needlessly gruesome to anyone else?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

As well as outright lying, since executions cost the state magnitudes more than simply holding the accused for life thanks in large part to the automatic appeals that come with a capital sentence.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

As well as outright lying, since executions cost the state magnitudes more than simply holding the accused for life thanks in large part to the automatic appeals that come with a capital sentence.
Not that you'd want to make that counterpoint, because the next argument would be about gutting due process.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Regalingualius posted:

The answer to that always is to call for reduced appeals. Even when it's brought up this could and would lead to the state killing innocent people, I've gotten that it could be an acceptable loss :smithicide:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

nyquil hangover posted:

Well, at least it's a change of pace from what I usually see in response to these kind of crimes, which is people gleefully cackling about the prison rape child molesters usually face. :smithicide:

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

nyquil hangover posted:

Oh yeah, the stigma of child molestation and the abuse of pedophiles in prison isn't enough, killing them is what will really send the message. There are no murders in Texas, after all.

Neptr fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 16, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

hirvox posted:

Not that you'd want to make that counterpoint, because the next argument would be about gutting due process.

Yeah, I'm familiar with it. :smith:

Of course, the people I've known who've made that argument have never seemed to think of the broader implications, let alone the potential consequences if they or a loved one was falsely convicted.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It's really strange to look at right-wing relatives' facebook feeds and see recycled anti-war stuff from 2003 or so. Now that there's a black democrat in office, conservative family members of mine are posting things like *picture of sad child* if we can't afford to feed her, how can we afford to feed this? *picture of f-22*. Everything has a nice paranoid slant to it though, my grandma has recently started sharing posts from a page called "Support Our Troops... Bring Them Home (To Fight The New World Order)"

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I'm familiar with it. :smith:

Of course, the people I've known who've made that argument have never seemed to think of the broader implications, let alone the potential consequences if they or a loved one was falsely convicted.

I actually asked a pretty hardline Rush listener what if they were falsely accused. They maintained that their family would know they were innocent and it'd be a worthwhile sacrifice to ensure the real criminals were disposed of as well.

It was my final attempt to explain the Blackstone Ratio and why/how it was the backbone of modern criminal justice; a concept they flat out refused to accept.

Oh, they were my supervisor. (Somehow still managed to gain some respect in that job in spite of being branded as having aberrant political opinions.)

This is the lesson it took to learn just too stare mutely when coworkers espouse regurgitated bullshit opinions.

e: I was an unpaid intern and made a good impression on that person's boss (and their boss as well.) The only reason I knew about the branding was when one of his bosses said something about it jokingly as part of a compliment. Up to that point I assumed that he'd kept it between us, for all I know he tried to use it against me and that boss shot it down. :/

e2: And to clarify what I had been trying to explain was that the (US) justice system errs on the side of caution and that that is a good thing. For some reason I thought he'd realize how terrible it is to punish innocent people if someone he cared about was the innocent, but learned that the machine must feed!

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 16, 2013

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Anniversary posted:

Oh, they were my supervisor. (Somehow still managed to gain some respect in that job in spite of being branded as having aberrant political opinions.)

At least s/he's intelligent enough to separate work from personal.

There's a reason that the entire justice system in the US errs enormously on the side of caution, though even then sometimes they get it wrong.

See: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/07/090907fa_fact_grann

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

andrew smash posted:

Everything has a nice paranoid slant to it though, my grandma has recently started sharing posts from a page called "Support Our Troops... Bring Them Home (To Fight The New World Order)"

That's a pretty big waste when we could just give Sting a baseball bat.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I Before E posted:

That's a pretty big waste when we could just give Sting a baseball bat.

"Another suburban family morning.../Grandmother's screaming at the wall..."

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

rkajdi posted:

The answer to that always is to call for reduced appeals. Even when it's brought up this could and would lead to the state killing innocent people, I've gotten that it could be an acceptable loss :smithicide:

"It takes balls to execute an innocent man."