Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So my friend just sent me an update on a bird sanctuary. He lives over in Nashville TN, and when he was in the process of re-homing his birds, he found this amazing woman in the process of making a sanctuary. She originally was keeping all these birds in her home and doing the work of adopting them out, and is now almost done building/setting up a place for the actual sanctuary.

It's called East Exotic Avian Sanctuary of Tennessee (http://tnavianrescue.org/)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gFyzrHfLNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrOMu7xm7ss

Just watched a facebook video where she was touring the new place, it's so amazing that she was able to do this and is going to/has already helped out so many birds <3 I know she helped my friend find an amazing home for his birds <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Update!!!

Jasper is cute and innocent and Beryl's heart is filled with fire. I hope she chills out sooner than later.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
The way this comic does cockatiel eyes is killing me:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1062122476145164290

Pinto came into the shower and stepped into the water on his own!

Then afterward, I had him on my shoulder on a washcloth. He lost his balance, the washcloth started sliding down, then he grabbed the washcloth with his beak, continued to fall, rolled, and ended up swaddling himself. I caught him, he panicked, and now he's sitting on Ms Cookies's shoulder and mad at me.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

:swoon:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

DrakIris posted:

Update!!!

Jasper is cute and innocent and Beryl's heart is filled with fire. I hope she chills out sooner than later.

excellent bird names. excellent birds. esp in that second picture hahaha

beryl: pissed and the queen of everything

jasper: just here to be loved :angel:

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

excellent bird names. excellent birds. esp in that second picture hahaha

beryl: pissed and the queen of everything

jasper: just here to be loved :angel:

e:
unhappy talk, the store at some point well before I got ehr cut like all her loving primaries off and I'm kinda pissed for not noticing that sooner. Heres to them regrowing sooner than later.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Oh boy, is it that time already? Its Terra Tuesday!

ACTIVATE BORB MODE

hi friend welcome to my fort would you like to share some broccoli

Terra, buddy, I appreciate the offer but I really don't need your help also please stop trying to eat my crochet hooks

My girlfriend and I were making noodle soup and he was very interested in it so I gave him his own small portion :3:

look at this smug little rear end in a top hat, he knows exactly how cute he is

and now its time for a special game of "Food or Not Food" with Terra the cockatiel:

Kale: Not Food, also a little scary

Broccoli: Uninteresting, Not Food

Joey's Nail Art: FOOD. GIVE. NOM.

Kale and Broccoli: Food, but only in the fort

Thank you for coming to this week's Terra Tuesday, feel free to return next week when my idiot bird won't have bright red legs because he decided it'd be a fun idea to play in a discarded curry container!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Nothing to contribute, just a caique being a caique.

https://i.imgur.com/RjWG1IE.gifv

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

:(
Making the rounds on news today in Denmark: A woman took her 10 y/o cockatiel to the local pet shop, who offered to cut the bird's nails. The staff takes the bird (brought in a shoebox) into the back room, to avoid risks of escape, and a bit later brings it back. When the owner comes back home, it turns out the bird has been swapped. The staff then owns up to accidentally killing the bird, and swapping it hoping she would be none the wiser.
bork

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Jasper looks so dang sweet. Beryl is also a good bird.
HI TERRA :kimchi:
Love that ciaque
That cockatiel switch is so awful :smith:

Here's Pinto running back to my finger after getting some punishment floor time.
https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1062161530626682880

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

Love that ciaque

Here's Pinto running back to my finger after getting some punishment floor time.

Beryl learned from when we had a cockatiel that the floor has Tasty Treats sometimes and seems to rather enjoy being on the floor. I have no means of punishing her @@

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

nielsm posted:

Making the rounds on news today in Denmark: A woman took her 10 y/o cockatiel to the local pet shop, who offered to cut the bird's nails. The staff takes the bird (brought in a shoebox) into the back room, to avoid risks of escape, and a bit later brings it back. When the owner comes back home, it turns out the bird has been swapped. The staff then owns up to accidentally killing the bird, and swapping it hoping she would be none the wiser.
bork

My loving god, imagine being the person with the audacity to swap the birds thinking no one could notice. Imagine being that vile.

-------

Anyway, I love my budgie to death and sometimes I laugh to myself when I'm put and about because I think about my budgie and how clowny he is. Part of me thinks I should have gotten a cockatiel, though. They seem really chill and like pets whereas budgies are more hyper and although mine is very interactive, does not tolerate petting for more than a few seconds. He also does not sit still and I can't do anything like draw, paint or do any other crafts because he has to be part of the process (perching on the drawing hand/tool, hopping from marker to marker, trying to kiss the felt tips of my pens, flying around scattering hundreds of paper petals about).

I love him so much though :3 This is essentially the kind of budgie I wanted but now I'm debating getting him a friend.

Would my current bird lose most interest in me or would he just incorporate the other bird, myself, the phone, the tablet and his bell into one flock? Would he show the other bird that I'm cool?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

Love that ciaque

LOOK AT HIS SWEET LITTLE Face aaagh I can't handle it :kimchi:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Plant MONSTER. posted:

My loving god, imagine being the person with the audacity to swap the birds thinking no one could notice. Imagine being that vile.

-------

Anyway, I love my budgie to death and sometimes I laugh to myself when I'm put and about because I think about my budgie and how clowny he is. Part of me thinks I should have gotten a cockatiel, though. They seem really chill and like pets whereas budgies are more hyper and although mine is very interactive, does not tolerate petting for more than a few seconds. He also does not sit still and I can't do anything like draw, paint or do any other crafts because he has to be part of the process (perching on the drawing hand/tool, hopping from marker to marker, trying to kiss the felt tips of my pens, flying around scattering hundreds of paper petals about).

I love him so much though :3 This is essentially the kind of budgie I wanted but now I'm debating getting him a friend.

Would my current bird lose most interest in me or would he just incorporate the other bird, myself, the phone, the tablet and his bell into one flock? Would he show the other bird that I'm cool?

If you have a good relationship with the bird it's unlikely that a new friend would harm it. That can be a potential risk if your bird isn't very interactive. If they're already on the fence about you and are only interacting because they have nothing else, but it sounds like your little guy loves you and wants to spend time with you.

He will probably tell the new bird you're cool.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

After I added another budgie to my household, my first budgie stopped letting me pet her.

However, she never started to hate me - she always continued to preen me and try to be around me! She just decided my fingers are WAY less good than a beak. I can only respect her wishes.

(But I miss getting to scratch her head. It's been over three years.)

Plant MONSTER. posted:

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Beryl seems to love me as long as I'm not actively stopping her from starting poo poo with Jasper.

If I am then all bets are off and she's going for a finger tax.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

DrakIris posted:

Beryl learned from when we had a cockatiel that the floor has Tasty Treats sometimes and seems to rather enjoy being on the floor. I have no means of punishing her @@

Pinto loves being on shoulders so dang much, he'll get bitey sometimes if we try to take him off our shoulders. Luckily, he's so tiny his bite doesn't really hurt so I can no-sell his beak and pretend it doesn't phase me. Trying not to positively reinforce the biting behavior.

I'm torn on trying to get him used to being around us without being on our shoulders, and respecting him being comfortable on our shoulders and not wanting to push him and associating negatively.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Omg, there's so many good birds in this thread.

My lil dude is becoming friendlier by the day. He's began making way more pleasant whistle sounds at times the last couple of days and I think he's trying to imitate some melodies we've been whistling to him :3

He's almost getting the hang of flying, but at the moment he can only fly UP! Never down. Landings are difficult and if he misses it, he panics and flies as high as he can right below the roof in circles until he crashes into a wall... Only taking him out of the cage in the bedroom, which is quite small, so he doesn't build up too much speed. It's still terrifying to watch though :/ Lately he's at least managed to land in this plant (which is poisonous)...

Have to go pick him up when he lands there, he doesn't dare flying down again...

He's a good baby borb

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I can't have a bird due to cats and asthma, but I love this thread. There are so many good birbs.

And what yarn is that, Faerie? Terra and you have great taste in wool!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

So today, Terra introduced himself to The Other Cockatiel That Lives Inside The Mirror And Looks Suspiciously Like Him

His first reaction?

asking this mysterious new friend for scritches :kimchi:
In rabbits this is a dominance move. I've seen my two rabbits furiously press their foreheads together to try and make the other groom them until they get angry and fight.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Aerofallosov posted:

And what yarn is that, Faerie? Terra and you have great taste in wool!

it's James C Brett Baby Marble DK! Specifically the second one on this page! It's a lovely yarn with a gorgeous gradient

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://twitter.com/northantsfire/status/1062745691674607616

BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My grey does a 100% perfect smoke detector and he does it as loud as he possibly can get.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Oh my goooooooooood this thread. :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Truck Stop Daddy posted:

Omg, there's so many good birds in this thread.

My lil dude is becoming friendlier by the day. He's began making way more pleasant whistle sounds at times the last couple of days and I think he's trying to imitate some melodies we've been whistling to him :3

He's almost getting the hang of flying, but at the moment he can only fly UP! Never down. Landings are difficult and if he misses it, he panics and flies as high as he can right below the roof in circles until he crashes into a wall... Only taking him out of the cage in the bedroom, which is quite small, so he doesn't build up too much speed. It's still terrifying to watch though :/ Lately he's at least managed to land in this plant (which is poisonous)...

Have to go pick him up when he lands there, he doesn't dare flying down again...

He's a good baby borb
Look at this little guy :3: I remember when Judah was at that stage, he had to learn fairly fast to fly down on his own because I'm only four foot 2 in :v:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Our local humane society just had a 30 year old blue and gold macaw relinquished to them, and their post on facebook about it made it pretty clear that they are not prepared for that, and they need to find someone who is. I am not that person, but a part of me wishes I was. Nicky would never forgive us for one, both for bringing any other pet into our home, and especially for one that would require a lot of attention immediately and also could fly when she can't.

On the plus side, Nicky is a very happy bird who likes to eat squash:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpFxc8oloWj/

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Ozzy isn't good at flying down either. It'll come.

Ever wondered what a bird would do with a human their size? Here's Sera and his girlfriend, whom I interrupted him carefully preening.

I really don't have an explanation as to why I bought a Barbie doll from the thrift store and brought it home to my birds, but I can tell you what when I got her, she was naked, and he got very, very upset when I manhandled her around to dress her.

Edit: the opossum finger puppet was a cuddle buddy for an elderly rat after her sister died and she was alone and I wasn't planning on getting more rats. Its ears and tail got chewed off but I don't have the heart to get rid of it.

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 15, 2018

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

His face is all "WE WEREN'T DOING ANYTHING I SWEAR!"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

An important update: uploading that to imgur prompted a random to message me with "You like birds or guys?" and I'm not answering. Nope.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Elmnt80 posted:

His face is all "WE WEREN'T DOING ANYTHING I SWEAR!"

his face is KILLING me :laffo:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

Ever wondered what a bird would do with a human their size? Here's Sera and his girlfriend, whom I interrupted him carefully preening.

I really don't have an explanation as to why I bought a Barbie doll from the thrift store and brought it home to my birds, but I can tell you what when I got her, she was naked, and he got very, very upset when I manhandled her around to dress her.

Edit: the opossum finger puppet was a cuddle buddy for an elderly rat after her sister died and she was alone and I wasn't planning on getting more rats. Its ears and tail got chewed off but I don't have the heart to get rid of it.

I just called my Pops over to see that, and he laughed his rear end off. Said the birb was saying, "gently caress OFF DAD!"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I just called my Pops over to see that, and he laughed his rear end off. Said the birb was saying, "gently caress OFF DAD!"

"Mom," but yeah. He was definitely not pleased to be interrupted in his quality time, lol.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Oh. My. drat. :3:

so i have a neat slo mo vid of Tito scratching, but i couldn't figure out how to post it (it's on my phone).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RoboRodent posted:

Don't judge - their love is very pure and probably wholesome. :3:

We had a red-rumped parakeet for a very short while many many years ago. He was a rehome just after Looloo the cockatiel died - we were told he was handreared and so, presumably unafraid of people. But the thing we didn't know at the time is that red-rumped parakeets spend most of their lives in a state of frothing rage and the only thing stopping them from trying to kill you is their innate fear of humans.

But since he was handreared, this didn't apply.

The only thing he loved in the world was a yellow duster, which he would sit beside and preen and sing gentle loving songs to. If anyone touched or moved his beloved duster, he went completely berserk - he'd literally fly in your face and try to bite your eyeballs. The only way to stop him was to grab him out of the air and start stroking his head and neck - he'd calm down completely and be really cuddly As Long As You Never Ever Stopped Cuddling. On a less funny note, can you imagine how much of a shock he was to us, just after losing the gentlest, sweetest, kindliest little birb in the world?

We rehomed him again after a few weeks to a man who had great big aviaries including several red-rumps, so hopefully that lil angry dude found a lil angry lady to sing songs of rage and bloodshed with :3:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

RoboRodent posted:

Hello there

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
He’s molting and unhappy.

E: hand nest

E2:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 15, 2018

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer