Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

xtal posted:

Was he the one who was too small for the electric chair so they made him sit on a bible as a booster seat?

The very same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

xtal posted:

Was he the one who was too small for the electric chair so they made him sit on a bible as a booster seat?

:911:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

xtal posted:

:negative:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What the hell did they sentence a 10 year old to death for? :stare:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Leavemywife posted:

Holding a toy gun. Oh wait, that was a 12 year old. And in 2014.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Essentially being black.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Leavemywife posted:

The murder of two younger children, who were white. The kids really were murdered, but Stinney’s conviction was vacated in 2014 because there was no real evidence against him, he was just the closest Black kid who could be frightened into “confessing”.

Stinney was not the youngest child to be executed for murder in the US—that would be Hannah Ocuish, a Pequot child. :911:

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Jun 19, 2020

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Stinney was 14 at the time of his execution, not that that's any better.

He was accused of murdering two young white girls. The police coerced a confession from him. It was essentially a legal lynching. The execution took place three months after the murders.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This seems like a good place to ask, does anyone have a link to the article from a few years ago that profiled a woman drone pilot, including about her killing people?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

xtal posted:

This seems like a good place to ask, does anyone have a link to the article from a few years ago that profiled a woman drone pilot, including about her killing people?

Are you sure it wasn’t a story?

Article about the story and the fallout from it.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/jamespmcleod/status/1274137020227559425?s=19

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Um, definitely not that. I'm referring to a woman in the military who drone striked people and wrote an article justifying it. I think it was in wired or motherboard or something though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Stinney was 14 at the time of his execution, not that that's any better.

He was accused of murdering two young white girls. The police coerced a confession from him. It was essentially a legal lynching. The execution took place three months after the murders.

What kind of goddamn monster do you have to be to kill someone who is only 14 years old? How did nobody speak up about how utterly hosed that is?

I know, racism, but, just, gently caress

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

xtal posted:

Um, definitely not that. I'm referring to a woman in the military who drone striked people and wrote an article justifying it. I think it was in wired or motherboard or something though.

Doesn’t specifically ring a bell for me. There’s a few on longform but I don’t feel like any of them match what you’re after.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Leavemywife posted:

What kind of goddamn monster do you have to be to kill someone who is only 14 years old? How did nobody speak up about how utterly hosed that is?

I know, racism, but, just, gently caress

That we did that in loving June of 1944 while my grandma was herself in a concentration camp and D-Day was happening has always stuck with me. That execution was straight-up nazi murder on a smaller scale.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKZKETizybw

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That we did that in loving June of 1944 while my grandma was herself in a concentration camp and D-Day was happening has always stuck with me. That execution was straight-up nazi murder on a smaller scale.

The Nazis literally admired the US and wanted to emulate them.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tashilicious posted:

The Nazis literally admired the US and wanted to emulate them.

Hitler’s American Model is a comprehensive read of this. The fact that Hitler found distaste in some of our policies for going too far is something that we should all be aware of.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

not sure how the brabant killers is related?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tashilicious posted:

not sure how the brabant killers is related?

I assume the connection is the speculation that the Brabant killers had connections to the Belgian police or military establishment, or maybe Gladio.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Probably a dumb question, but the Olbermann video made think if corporations are people in the legal sense, is it possible for a corporation to be sentenced as a person for a crime? Like if corporation X (take your pick) is found guilty of say, polluting a town's water supply which then leads to the deaths of dozens of people, wouldn't that count as mass murder and in a death penalty state wouldn't the corporation then technically be subject to a possible death sentence?

I want it to be true because it's stupid on top of stupid and it would be so perfect if they had to figure out a way to symbolically execute a corporation.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stare-Out posted:

Probably a dumb question, but the Olbermann video made think if corporations are people in the legal sense, is it possible for a corporation to be sentenced as a person for a crime? Like if corporation X (take your pick) is found guilty of say, polluting a town's water supply which then leads to the deaths of dozens of people, wouldn't that count as mass murder and in a death penalty state wouldn't the corporation then technically be subject to a possible death sentence?

I want it to be true because it's stupid on top of stupid and it would be so perfect if they had to figure out a way to symbolically execute a corporation.

No.

Corporations are people when it's an advantage, and not a person when it's an advantage.

Protected by law, not bound by it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

No.

Corporations are people when it's an advantage, and not a person when it's an advantage.

Protected by law, not bound by it.

I know you meant disadvantage, but eh, I figured as much. I'd love to be a prosecutor and keep driving at that point when a corporation is sued for something and hoist those fuckers by their own petards.

And then lose my job and be blacklisted because corporations own everything.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How can a corporation be a person if I cannot murder them?

The definition of personhood should depend on whether or not the "person" in question can be loving shanked in the kidneys and left to die a slow painful death in a ditch somewhere, alone and ignored.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DRINK ME posted:

Doesn’t specifically ring a bell for me. There’s a few on longform but I don’t feel like any of them match what you’re after.

I found it.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/she-kills-people-from-7850-miles-away

It was hard because it is paywalled but it works on outline.com

quote:

Over the next 24 hours she would track an insurgent, watch as he was killed by a Hellfire missile, and spy on his funeral before ending her night with a breakfast beer and a trip to the dog park.

xtal has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jun 20, 2020

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Tashilicious posted:

The definition of personhood should depend on whether or not the "person" in question can be loving shanked in the kidneys and left to die a slow painful death in a ditch somewhere, alone and ignored.
Hence the distinction between a corporate person and a natural person. It's a legal fiction, but only the second most fictive.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was a bumper-sticker style quote going around a few years back that went, "I'll believe a corporation is a person when Texas executes one"

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Stare-Out posted:

PG&E just pleaded guilty to 84 counts of manslaughter. It was fined $4 million dollars.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...mp-fire-deaths/

“CBS” posted:

Deems rebuked PG&E for its “callous disregard” for human life and pointed out that if an individual had confessed to the same crimes as the company did, he would have been able to order a sentence of 90 years in state prison.

But as a corporation, PG&E can not be imprisoned, forcing the judge to issue the maximum fine allowed under California law. Although PG&E has been in bankruptcy since early last year, the penalty won’t leave a big financial dent, given that it brought in $17 billion in revenue last year.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mister Mind posted:

PG&E just pleaded guilty to 84 counts of manslaughter. It was fined $4 million dollars.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2...mp-fire-deaths/
Cool country. gently caress me.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Tashilicious posted:

This is literally the point of the novella Bicentennial Man.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Hence the distinction between a corporate person and a natural person. It's a legal fiction, but only the second most fictive.

I thought the idea was the CEO of a company can be held criminally responsible for the actions of a company and prosecuted? Idk how that would work for murder though.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

turntabler posted:

I thought the idea was the CEO of a company can be held criminally responsible for the actions of a company and prosecuted? Idk how that would work for murder though.

I didn’t want to just type “lol,” because it looks kind of rude by itself, but lol. Every company on the Fortune 1000 has committed multiple crimes that would lead to life sentences if an individual committed them, and maybe once per year we get a story about someone in a position of power at one of those companies eating poo poo for it.

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I didn’t want to just type “lol,” because it looks kind of rude by itself, but lol. Every company on the Fortune 1000 has committed multiple crimes that would lead to life sentences if an individual committed them, and maybe once per year we get a story about someone in a position of power at one of those companies eating poo poo for it.

Yeah I was literally thinking of the Bhopal disaster as I typed it, although looking at the wiki it seems the despite the CEO dodging chargers so lower level guys ate them instead. But my point was the theory is the CEO is the actual person who should be accountable for the crimes of a company in this way, despite what actual happens.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I don't want to just type lol either, but I'll start with that.

Lol.

Now that that's out of the way, could you defend CEOs some more?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I think they're saying the mechanisms of justice are broken against the corporations, not defending the CEOs??

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Eta

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

xtal posted:

I don't want to just type lol either, but I'll start with that.

Lol.

Now that that's out of the way, could you defend CEOs some more?

Eh I'm not defending CEOs. Someone asked if a company is a legal person can it be charged with crimes. I said I thought the CEO is the person that is meant to be charged for the companies crimes, and asked if that was the case. Whether it happens or not.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That is a extremely uninformed opinion that breaches the territory of wilful ignorance. I'm not aware of any time that has ever happened.

xtal has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Jun 21, 2020

turntabler
Sep 10, 2011

xtal posted:

That is a extremely uninformed opinion that breaches the territory of wilful ignorance. I'm not aware of any time that has ever happened.

Thoughts/questions aren't opinions but good chat there guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Mean post deleted

xtal has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jun 23, 2020