Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

Remember how Gentle's entire backstory was that being stupid and using your power without thinking of the consequences is really goddamn dumb and ruined his life?

Silver2195 posted:

I do kind of see the issue here. There's a bit of a clash between the "realistic" and "cartoonish" elements in MHA sometimes. I can accept that Soul Reapers, magical ninjas, and even One Piece-world normal humans don't get concussions, etc., but MHA has this semi-"real-world" setting where the implicit rules regarding physical injuries, as well as social and legal norms regarding use of force, are more blurry.

These two posts get into the problem here. Given how often responsibility with one's power is A Thing and carelessness/misuse thereof has consequences (everything involving Deku using One For All, Gentle's backstory, how their entire society is built on the regulation of quirks and that's why hero licenses are so important, etc) in MHA, with it being a recurring and important theme/plot point, having a training exercise that's completely unimportant besides ego and maybe a better grade where the lesson is "go all out on your opponent and batter them into submission or else" is completely out of place and nonsensical. Even if you ignore "real world" standards, it goes against the comic's standards and those established by UA itself in-universe (Recovery Girl telling Deku to stop destroying his body or she won't heal him anymore, people reacting with shock or telling All Might off for doing things like not stopping Deku and Bakugou's fight in his first lesson or going all out those two when they had to work together, them trying to stop Deku and Todoroki's fight before they hurt each other, them coming down hard on Deku and Bakugou fighting for real, and so on). People are saying that stuff like this is normal for shonen, but a big part of MHA has been that it isn't like most shonen in this particular regard.

I mean, I remember this being one of the big complaints people here had about the fight with Overhaul, and maybe one or two things before that. People were pointing out that, after repeated instances of it being hammered in that Deku needs to learn to control his power and develop ideas beyond "hit things so hard it breaks his body", he had a fight where his entire strategy was "hit things so hard it breaks his body", without any of the lessons he's learned or development he's had factoring into it and completely ignoring the comic's whole thing about controlling your power, not doing so having consequences, etc, and how it kind of went against most of the comic before it. This is similar; while it doesn't concern Deku specifically, the series suddenly going "actually going all-out on people is cool and good, do it for completely unimportant things and against your classmates," feels out of place, given that using their powers in life-or-death situations, like the fight with Stain, had consequences for them.

Also Kinoko's power being able to just grow stuff inside of people came out of nowhere and felt like an rear end pull to have Tokoyami lose after having him crush half of the 1-B team anyway. There were better ways to have 1-A lose than the entire match having pretty much just been Kinoko deciding when she feels like ending it. (And before people try to bring up Manga's power making the place damp or whatever, people's insides are pretty wet, so I don't think he had much of an impact there. It was pretty much entirely whether or not she was conscious and felt like using her power or not that kept things going after she was close enough to use said power on people.) That's not a particularly satisfying resolution to things.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the whole thing with AfO making shiggy into what he is by having allmight beat the gently caress out of him and his friends made it seem like horikoshi knows drat well what hes doing in regards to violence in society (theres a lot of cool little stuff like shinso being mad at the festival that he doesnt have a ultra destructive and violent quirk like deku)

I figured horikoshi set up allmights fall on purpose to poke holes in a society that only came to be cause one guy hosed up everyone and how it cant be sustained or is even all that well for society (with all the undercurrents and how the second allmight goes down villians pop up everywhere)

sadly none of this excuses that momo is the biggest chump in A-1 by a landslide (at least nobody says WHAT A GREAT HERO YOU ARE AOYAMA)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MHA's always had a problem with it's relationship to "realistic" injuries and consequences. Like Deku constantly breaking his arms and being told he needs to stop only to be continued to be put in situations where him breaking his arms is cool and heroic and saves children is just a mess. Like obviously the Overhaul fight is the worst part of that since he doesn't even get injured after breaking his bones harder than ever before but even poo poo like the Todoroki fight where Deku shattering his fingers to counter Todoroki's attacks is shown as a cool moment in a great fight. And Deku going all out with everything in that match is used as a catalyst for Todoroki to start working through his issues and become a better person.

MHA loves using traditional Shonen elements of burning passion and spirit and always going at 100% and all that stuff but at the same time it occasionally tries to say that stuff has consequences and never follows through completely.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Thinking it is a problem is really goddamn overthinking it.

The series takes liberties with injuries and stuff for sure, but it brutally shows it off when it actually matters.

Case in point, Deku ruins his goddamn arm smashing a robot the exam committee was like "don't even bother fighting these, they will wreck your poo poo" to all of the students at the exam.

That robot was not made of paper maché and it's supposed to impress upon us just how broken it is with Deku's arm being so broken. I guess the one failing of that scene was that he also broke his legs against the ground, despite it not being nearly as dangerous of an opponent.

This comic exists comfortably in the realm of comic physics. Deku's punch was just that ludicrous that even a comic punch shouldn't have worked.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

MHA's always had a problem with it's relationship to "realistic" injuries and consequences. Like Deku constantly breaking his arms and being told he needs to stop only to be continued to be put in situations where him breaking his arms is cool and heroic and saves children is just a mess. Like obviously the Overhaul fight is the worst part of that since he doesn't even get injured after breaking his bones harder than ever before but even poo poo like the Todoroki fight where Deku shattering his fingers to counter Todoroki's attacks is shown as a cool moment in a great fight. And Deku going all out with everything in that match is used as a catalyst for Todoroki to start working through his issues and become a better person.

MHA loves using traditional Shonen elements of burning passion and spirit and always going at 100% and all that stuff but at the same time it occasionally tries to say that stuff has consequences and never follows through completely.

Deku has permanent nerve damage in his hand from fighting Todoroki!

*doesn't matter, never comes up again*

Honestly my beef with this chapter isn't even so much the absurd "be sure to pummel your training partners into unconsciousness", a way no human being on Earth is trained, or even Mushroom Girl's sudden display of a power that could have instantly won the fight. It's that we had a fight with three characters who have been featured on and off in this series for years, three people that are allegedly part of the core cast of characters, and they got completely jobbed out to...who? Are any of these people going to matter once this arc is done? Are we going to have occasional check-ins with Mushroom Girl and Vantablack while actual 1-A students continue to stand around and be useless?

There was an obvious build-up to a big Momo win, a chance to actually progress her character arc beyond "Momo is sad she loses all the time", and instead the fight ends in a bizarre anticlimax with nothing achieved by characters who really needed a chance to shine.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Actually we've reached the end of Momo's arc. She is, in fact, sad and loses all the time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shinjobi posted:

Actually we've reached the end of Momo's arc. She is, in fact, sad and loses all the time.

Given that Kirishima's only character beat seems to be "get sad about not being manly enough and then vow to be more manly" this might actually be the case yeah

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

Given that Kirishima's only character beat seems to be "get sad about not being manly enough and then vow to be more manly" this might actually be the case yeah

kirishima also gets into a insanely sick deathbattle with a dude who cares nothing except a good fight, and gets to grow from it after the close win. things momo will never get to even dream about because her titties cant be anywhere close to intrigue or danger

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

To be fair Kirishima's action in that fight was to take a few hits get knocked unconscious and have a flashback.

E: Like Rappa was probablly the most entertaining mafia goon. But that fight was pretty lame.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if Tetsutetsu is also going to have an "unbreakable" form like Kirishima, or if he'll improve his quirk in a different way so they don't mirror each other so much. Like maybe he can make sick steel blades or something.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Maybe momo's arc is about learning how to take a loss without it destroying her entire self worth

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

So does Shoto get the win or does Bakugo? I would like the final battle to be more about “saving face after everyone else couldn’t make it” rather than a tiebreaker, but let’s be real.

fractalairduct posted:

Maybe momo's arc is about learning how to take a loss without it destroying her entire self worth

So that’s gonna be like, 7 more “almost wins”? Just make Mina the top girl and give her another breakdancing arc.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 6, 2018

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Both win, then Deku's team wins, just to continue putting the poop out on Momo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A handful of the characters in the "main cast" are going to get like a single miniarc or big moment and Momo had hers like over a hundred chapters ago, same with Iida who has done precisely dick since the Kamino rescue. Thems the breaks with ensemble casts.

I literally do not remember 3/4ths of the class in Assassination Classroom and that had fewer people to work with than Horikoshi does and we keep just getting new characters. We're not quite at Bleach levels of having a gigantic irrelevant cast however because a lot of ancillary characters remain properly ancillary.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
if momo wants to win maybe she should stay back and be a commander instead of getting into fights like why was the whole team not being supplied with useful gadgets via airdrop from distance and coordinated via earpiece?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elfgames posted:

if momo wants to win maybe she should stay back and be a commander instead of getting into fights like why was the whole team not being supplied with useful gadgets via airdrop from distance and coordinated via earpiece?

Because they all start in the arena and then they got rushed down so Momo was busy trying to put out fires right until she was knocked out of the fight.

She did show progress here, is the interesting thing. In her last big fight she overcame her indecisiveness, and here, she just figured out her moves instantly. Instead of worrying about her fight with Kendo, she instantly figured out how to adjust her plan for the new scenario and executed it without hesitation. If her team had been on the ball, she would have won.

(Which is why Kendo felt like this wasn't a real win. She beat Momo in hand to hand, and swept overall, but she'd been pretty near disabled herself despite having every advantage, and if she hadn't gotten that lucky break, her team would be the one looking at Nezu's smiling face. She didn't beat Momo. She just had stronger backup.)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Maybe Momo should cut the cannon poo poo and make a gun.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

Maybe Momo should cut the cannon poo poo and make a gun.

Slight spoilers for the movie, but Momo likes cannons. It's canon.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Momo's first instincts being "make a cannon" in most situations puts her in my good books

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Maybe Momo should cut the cannon poo poo and make a gun start making blades erupt everywhere out of her skin like a cactus.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Like and here's where this exercise starts getting loving weird. Like... if Mushroom girl feels it's okay to do that. How COME Momo doesn't feel it's okay to start shooting knives from her flesh in hand to hand combat? Is that not permissible? Like what's the limit, can Recovery Girl help Tokoyami with the throat fungus or can fungus girl remove them? Can ya straight up stab a bitch? Like if this was a realistic high school, the kids would be getting into this argument.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Onmi posted:

Like and here's where this exercise starts getting loving weird. Like... if Mushroom girl feels it's okay to do that. How COME Momo doesn't feel it's okay to start shooting knives from her flesh in hand to hand combat? Is that not permissible? Like what's the limit, can Recovery Girl help Tokoyami with the throat fungus or can fungus girl remove them? Can ya straight up stab a bitch? Like if this was a realistic high school, the kids would be getting into this argument.

Bold new direction for Momo's character imo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Onmi posted:

I mean I'm just being an rear end but I don't think Momo's the type of person to want someone bleeding after fighting her, student or no even if they are all training to be cops and I hope they all fail. I just like throwing out ideas because boy is she gonna be cool as gently caress when she turns out to be the traitor. A belt loaded with rounds is gonna start falling out of her arm and she's gonna whip it out and load it into the gatling gun she was working on making from her stomach.

Turns out she can move things in her body as she's making them so she makes this huge gently caress-off saw blade and just starts spinning it around herself like some cross between a hula hoop and a globe of death.

Viridiant posted:

Bold new direction for Momo's character imo.

I mean it sure seems to be paying the gently caress off for Toga so maybe she does need a new mentor.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Oh man the idea of Momo moving things around in her body makes me think of her developing the power to absorb and decreate things by turning them into lipids. Momo just absorbing bullets and poo poo.

I really need to stop building her up in my head like this.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shadowlyger posted:

I mean they were specifically told to treat the other team as if they were villains. You give the villain a chance to fill your lungs with mushrooms hell yes they're gonna do it.

I can't imagine any type of law enforcement, military or even just martial arts training including "pummel your training partners into unconsciousness" as part of the rules of engagement. Hell I don't think there was ever a time where Colossus punched Jubilee really hard in the head to win a training exercise in the Training Room or something

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Even with the already demonstrated abilities, her quirk should have been just as over-powered in direct and close combat as Todoroki's or Bakugo's, if not more. But its pretty obvious thats something Horikoshi has no interest in doing, so its better to just stop thinking about posibilities.

Just create gas mask on/from your face and then emit knockout gas from your skin, instead of going for silly cannon and support combo again, c'mon Momo!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Even with the already demonstrated abilities, her quirk should have been just as over-powered in direct and close combat as Todoroki's or Bakugo's, if not more. But its pretty obvious thats something Horikoshi has no interest in doing, so its better to just stop thinking about posibilities.

Just create gas mask on/from your face and then emit knockout gas from your skin, instead of going for silly cannon and support combo again, c'mon Momo!

Her power already got compared to poop by the guy with loving duct tape for elbows, no way she's doing anything that remotely validates it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Eej posted:

I can't imagine any type of law enforcement, military or even just martial arts training including "pummel your training partners into unconsciousness" as part of the rules of engagement. Hell I don't think there was ever a time where Colossus punched Jubilee really hard in the head to win a training exercise in the Training Room or something

Yeah it's not a superhero genre convention or a shonen genre convention or a real thing any human being would do, it's just stupid.

Mushroom Girl should be catching poo poo for choking Tokoyami out instead of Tokoyami getting blamed for being too soft.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 6, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think the only way this chapter could not bother me on a future reread is if Class B begins to show up way more frequently after this, or at least have a prominent role in the next conflict. There needs to be a good reason for them to be sold this strongly outside of keeping tension up for a contest that has no consequence for losing in the first place. It'll be even worse if Shinso is also shunted off to Class 1B or stays in General Studies.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Viridiant posted:

I think the only way this chapter could not bother me on a future reread is if Class B begins to show up way more frequently after this, or at least have a prominent role in the next conflict. There needs to be a good reason for them to be sold this strongly outside of keeping tension up for a contest that has no consequence for losing in the first place. It'll be even worse if Shinso is also shunted off to Class 1B or stays in General Studies.

Here's my question about that: to what end? To have another twenty plus regular characters around in this manga that can barely handle what it already has on its plate between 1-A, the League of Villains, the teachers, and the pro heroes? That sounds like a really bad idea.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Here's my question about that: to what end? To have another twenty plus regular characters around in this manga that can barely handle what it already has on its plate between 1-A, the League of Villains, the teachers, and the pro heroes? That sounds like a really bad idea.

I've seen the idea floated around that they might shuffle around the class rosters at the beginning of the second year. So you could see some of the more impressive/popular characters from 1-B end up in class 2-A while some of the dead weight characters that'll probably never get significant development from 1-A will end up in 2-B.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhonne posted:

I've seen the idea floated around that they might shuffle around the class rosters at the beginning of the second year. So you could see some of the more impressive/popular characters from 1-B end up in class 2-A while some of the dead weight characters that'll probably never get significant development from 1-A will end up in 2-B.

This seems like pretty baseless speculation and I honestly don't think it'll solve anything because the amount of characters is still part of the problem

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 6, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Viridiant posted:

Oh man the idea of Momo moving things around in her body makes me think of her developing the power to absorb and decreate things by turning them into lipids. Momo just absorbing bullets and poo poo.

I really need to stop building her up in my head like this.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with theory crafting, imo. Personally mine stops at her being able to absorb anything she didn't make in the first place, because if I use your rules then what's to stop her from creating an insatiable blob that consumes all in its wake?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

grey goo momo

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
On the other hand, what if Momo started doing so badly, she gets kicked out of the hero course and finds her true calling...in the support class? She totally could even have a double major or something. Can you imagine the crazy things she'd be capable of if she understood all that weird tech they've developed in that universe enough to just pop them out on demand?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

AtheistMantis posted:

On the other hand, what if Momo started doing so badly, she gets kicked out of the hero course and finds her true calling...in the support class? She totally could even have a double major or something. Can you imagine the crazy things she'd be capable of if she understood all that weird tech they've developed in that universe enough to just pop them out on demand?

Super Move: Lipid Prototyping

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

AtheistMantis posted:

Just cause she gets her hero license doesn't mean she has to be front line material. Lunch Rush is a hero who offers support to the school as well as during tragedy situations like hurricanes where keeping people fed can become an issue. I don't think there is any way that Momo wouldn't get her hero license. She was top scorer during the provisionals as well as being #1 in the class academically.

I could see them pushing her to being more in the background though. Leading groups of heroes from behind the frontlines and using her power to offer immediate specialized support items to deal with whatever villainous quirks they encounter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AtheistMantis posted:

I've been saying that when I keep dumping my Traitor Momo fanfiction all over the thread! Momo and Mei team up and Momo becomes unstoppable. Momo's a nerd and Mei's a female Jimmy Neutron with more explosions so all her blueprints and ideas will be trivial to explain to her. In two weeks, she'll go from tungsten shields and cannons to rocket handcuffs that lock onto your other arm with their onboard AI.

What the team really needs are a few scientists chemists so they can have someone super into elements and then start creating completely new materials. Time to bring Mythril into the BNHA universe. :getin:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I've been saying that when I keep dumping my Traitor Momo fanfiction all over the thread! Momo and Mei team up and Momo becomes unstoppable. Momo's a nerd and Mei's a female Jimmy Neutron with more explosions so all her blueprints and ideas will be trivial to explain to her. In two weeks, she'll go from tungsten shields and cannons to rocket handcuffs that lock onto your other arm with their onboard AI.

What the team really needs are a few scientists chemists so they can have someone super into elements and then start creating completely new materials. Time to bring Mythril into the BNHA universe. :getin:

Mythril, huh?

"It's not a problem".

Seriously, though, they're going to need help from Lunch Rush if Momo's going to be creating armslaves in the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i know everyone is busy complaining about momo and i agree she is getting the shaft but i just wanna say kendo owns. her power is fun and her design is cool and she has an amazing hero outfit. she should replace momo in class a