Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
The only eternal format I could reasonably afford to be interested in is Pauper. Is it reasonable to hope for reprints of stuff like Oubliette and Chained Lightning and the costly-for-Pauper blue staples to level out the MTGO pricing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Chain Lightning is a super possible reprint. Oubliette probably not since it hadn't even spiked by the time this set would have been finalized.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Judd Stackington posted:

The only eternal format I could reasonably afford to be interested in is Pauper. Is it reasonable to hope for reprints of stuff like Oubliette and Chained Lightning and the costly-for-Pauper blue staples to level out the MTGO pricing?

It's reasonable yeah, so they probably won't be in the set. Daze was the only card that was really expensive, and that's because it's also a 4-of in a lot of legacy decks. There are a surprising amount of $4-5 sideboard cards though, plus Pyro/Hydroblast are over $10.

Also Chain Lightning will be at mythic.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Daze is in at uncommon, so that should help a lot for blue based decks. Hydroblast is the only other blue card that's really high for a common I think. I wouldn't be surprised to see Oubliette and Chain Lightning as well, although Chain Lightning is 5 cents, and Oubliette is under 2 tix online. I'd be looking more for Hydroblast, Pyroblast, Snap, Gorilla Shaman, Cuombajj Witches, etc. There are a lot of commons online that are higher than Oubliette right now. I'm sure some will be reprinted.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShadeofBlue posted:

Daze is in at uncommon, so that should help a lot for blue based decks. Hydroblast is the only other blue card that's really high for a common I think. I wouldn't be surprised to see Oubliette and Chain Lightning as well, although Chain Lightning is 5 cents, and Oubliette is under 2 tix online. I'd be looking more for Hydroblast, Pyroblast, Snap, Gorilla Shaman, Cuombajj Witches, etc. There are a lot of commons online that are higher than Oubliette right now. I'm sure some will be reprinted.

IIRC Oubliette was pretty expensive on MTGO a while back but mono-black seems to have dropped off pretty hard. Why play that when you can just have turn 1 Delver, turn 2 flip with Counterspell 100% of the time?

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
I had Oubliette and Chain Lightning as examples of cards that were considerably more expensive in paper when I was looking for cards that were pricey on MTGO. Brainfart. Hydroblast/Pyroblast/Cuombajj are the ones I should have mentioned as you picked up. I want to draft this set online and was curious in advance if they might use it as an opportunity to reprint cards that won't affect any paper values but would balance the online prices.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The style guides make sense in a block for world building purposes, that doesn't apply for reprint sets. The world of Scourge is long gone and the names are generic enough to apply to anywhere; it makes more sense than having a mix of green and non-green elves.

The Wirewood is a place on Otaria

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

Man bad flavor text on Werebear, and no flavor text on Karakas, you need to up your game WotC

Original Karakas is in the top 10 best flavor text of all time imo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The March Hare posted:

Original Karakas is in the top 10 best flavor text of all time imo.

Real world literary quotes on magic cards ruled.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

Real world literary quotes on magic cards ruled.

They were the largest casualty of moving away from all-reprint core sets, and the one that received the least attention. And we'll never see them again outside of promos.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The biggest reason to own an English legends karakas instead of Italian is that the Italian one doesn't have flavor text.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

The biggest reason to own an English legends karakas instead of Italian is that the Italian one doesn't have flavor text.

I own both. And a judge promo. Mismatched lands 4 lyfe!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Animate dead at uncommon. Worldgorger combo is a go!

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
IMHO they should not ban anything from Miracles, thank you for your time.

Really, though, I'm hoping they reprint Flusterstorm.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

That oracle text tho

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

That oracle text tho

too bad you'll never open an entomb to combo with this

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

That oracle text tho

That's a mouthful.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

That oracle text tho

This art is loving sweet but it really should be a dragon getting animated

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

too bad you'll never open an entomb to combo with this

hopefully instead you'll open any the non-mythic ways of getting things into your graveyard that they must be printing if animate dead is in the set.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
there is still a lot of money cards left

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Angry Grimace posted:

That oracle text tho

Did the oracle text get even longer?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

hopefully instead you'll open any the non-mythic ways of getting things into your graveyard that they must be printing if animate dead is in the set.

buried alive will prob be reprinted, entomb is just the only one mana way of doing it i'm aware of

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm super thirsty for top

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Man the EV of this set is insane (obviously not timg)

In less exciting news

Possibly just a Cool Card, possibly point towards some spells matter stuff being RB or RU. Storm is -probably- still an archetype, but it has to be BX and BR seems weird, if not impossible.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 24, 2016

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
When is it usually the best time to buy newly reprinted cards? I want a top for my EDH deck but I know absolutely nothing about #mtgfinance, so I don't know whether it's going to be at it's cheapest on day 1 or day 999.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

superstepa posted:

When is it usually the best time to buy newly reprinted cards? I want a top for my EDH deck but I know absolutely nothing about #mtgfinance, so I don't know whether it's going to be at it's cheapest on day 1 or day 999.

It's like 16 bucks now. Probably not gonna go under 10. It depends how badly you want to play with it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

superstepa posted:

Most of the MMA2 cards had their largest price dips ~5mo after MM2 came out. That said, you can get tops for <$20 already, so just buy one when they get down to 15 or so and you won't pay more than about 5$ more than the lowest they'll ever be, worst case scenario.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Considering you only need 1 copy I might jump on it at $16, especially because I can't remember the last time I saw one for that cheap. If you needed a playset I might say wait and see if EMA brings the price down further.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Man the EV of this set is insane (obviously not timg)

In less exciting news

Possibly just a Cool Card, possibly point towards some spells matter stuff being RB or RU. Storm is -probably- still an archetype, but it has to be BX and BR seems weird, if not impossible.

Doesn't seem like a 1/4 for 2 is what you're going to want to be doing in this draft format...

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

buried alive will prob be reprinted, entomb is just the only one mana way of doing it i'm aware of

There's probably going to be a bunch of discard stuff too if U/B Reanimator is a draft theme. Psychatog maybe?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

Doesn't seem like a 1/4 for 2 is what you're going to want to be doing in this draft format...

We've seen about 5 commons.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Elyv posted:

We've seen about 5 commons.

I am not sure how many commons you think would need seeing before Giant Turtle is playable in any way.

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

mcmagic posted:

They are obviously setting this up for a phenax reprint at mythic.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

Please do not timg the giant tortoise, even in replies.

superstepa posted:

....that doesn't work how you want it to I think.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jenx posted:

I am not sure how many commons you think would need seeing before Giant Turtle is playable in any way.

Enough to tell how many people are going to be trying to beat you down with small ground creatures.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

superstepa posted:

It would be horrible with Phenax since Giant Tortoise would only mill 1 card.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yall are going to pass the giant tortoise then die to a nimble mongoose.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Did the oracle text get even longer?

I mean, if they were to print it today, it would probably look more like:

The problem is the issue with making it an Aura in all zones because "Enchant Dead Creature" makes no sense because it would drop off when the creature stopped being in a graveyard. They actually changed that in like Fifth Edition, but then changed it back because functional errata. I think Necromancy has similarly long errata text.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 24, 2016

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

All I know is that I can Stifle animate dead, and that Stifle remains the best magic the gathering card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Yeah, fair enough re: curving one into the other. Also possible they print 1 mana discard outlets, a la Faithless Looting/Careful Study or something.

• Locked thread