Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Heads up to anyone who missed the boat on the Beatles mono LP reissues, Past Masters (under the name Mono Masters) is still in print. Why the rest aren't I can't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Heads up to anyone who missed the boat on the Beatles mono LP reissues, Past Masters (under the name Mono Masters) is still in print. Why the rest aren't I can't understand.

Yeah with all the weirdo Beatles collectors out there you would think they would at least keep the individual records in print. I was lucky to pick up the box at a bargain bin price (a sign that maybe they weren't moving). Speaking of mono I just grabbed the Bob Dylan mono box for $130. I have most of the records included but figured I'll just sell off the OGs and have nice new copies.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Bruno Pernadas' albums are CD only and I'm not here for it. :argh:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ballz posted:

The original Abbey Road stereo mix always sucked, and it was the only Beatles album to not have a mono mix you could fall back on.

The brand new mix of it that came out a year or two ago is a godsend.

Can you link to that one because Abbey Road is the only Beatles album I actually like as an album

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

snagged this because I was extremely broke in '09 and didn't even bother looking when I started being able to afford records not from a goodwill

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

You know what's funny? Original UK mono copies of a bunch of these albums sell for less than the 2014 reissues.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I didn't think of it but now that you've said it I completely believe it

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://boxset.dischord.com/ Tomorrow is the last day to order this if you're interested

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
So I've cleaned out Ship to Shore's city pop section (those that are still in stock, anyway). Are there any other sites that specialize in the genre, or do I finally need to venture into the big wide world of Discogs?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Read After Burning posted:

So I've cleaned out Ship to Shore's city pop section (those that are still in stock, anyway). Are there any other sites that specialize in the genre, or do I finally need to venture into the big wide world of Discogs?

Check out https://www.lightintheattic.net

And of course now that I have looked to narrow it down for you, they are basically sold out of those albums. Check out Pacific Breeze if you haven't already. My local record store still has a copy of I think Vol. 2 in stock but you might be able to find em in the wild without resorting to Discogs.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 10, 2021

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pwn posted:

Can you link to that one because Abbey Road is the only Beatles album I actually like as an album

It's this one. There were a couple of limited edition versions with extra packaging or as a picture disc (lol) but this is the definitive version of Abbey Road to get imo

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, the resurgence of I checked the Japan section of my local record store, but it was all ~1950s-era "crooner" type music. Very cool, but not what I was looking for.

It's more jazz fusion, but this is my Japanese music white whale...I could afford one if I saved up, but it's hard to justify that kind of spending right now.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=287930&ev=mb&format=Vinyl

pwn
May 27, 2004

Ballz posted:

It's this one. There were a couple of limited edition versions with extra packaging or as a picture disc (lol) but this is the definitive version of Abbey Road to get imo

Thaaaaaaaaaanks :love:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Barry posted:

https://boxset.dischord.com/ Tomorrow is the last day to order this if you're interested

Good lookin out. Almost forgot about it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Love is Dead is marked sold out now, so you probably got the last one. I have that record but zero recollection as to whether it's clear or what. Super looking forward to their new album, and still kick myself I missed them live years ago because it sold out just before I tried to get a ticket.

quote:

Newbury Comics has refunded your order a total of $21.54 USD for:

1x Love Is Dead LP (Clear)

:mad:

pwn
May 27, 2004

Your Order is Dead

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's not a bad idea to check discogs because a lot of times those labels will have stock on there which isn't available on their own website. I'd also suggest checking which ever band's Bandcamp page for the same reason.

Ballz posted:

I'm too much of a purist to ever listen to classic albums remixed. Especially when it's not done by the person who was originally worked on it. And even then sometimes you end up with something like Iggy Pop's Raw Power remix. I never really took issue with Abbey Road. The mono releases that were put out in stereo in their own era are a mess though. But then it gets wacky again because some of the mono songs on Magical Mystery Tour and The White Album (which admittedly I don't like all that much because half of it is not every good) have these weird quirks or are missing some little sound effects here and there. Mono is 100% the way to go with Sgt. Pepper though. I don't think there will ever be a debate about that. I was lucky enough to grab the mono CDs for the Rubber Soul - The Beatles Part 1 & 2 way back when. The only mono LP reissue I got was Revolver because I never thought they'd ever put those out of print and I didn't feel the need to get right on albums I've heard nine million times. Such is life.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BY THE WAY. If anyone absolutely must have a Newbury Comics exclusive (which honestly I don't recommend because they're overpriced and the quality control isn't the best) I can check out the Newbury Comics in my area because it seems a bunch of you don't live where they have them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CPL593H posted:

BY THE WAY. If anyone absolutely must have a Newbury Comics exclusive (which honestly I don't recommend because they're overpriced and the quality control isn't the best) I can check out the Newbury Comics in my area because it seems a bunch of you don't live where they have them.

now you tell me

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

now you tell me

It's a mixed bag. I avoid them for that reason but I probably have a couple here and there because they didn't have the regular one in stock and it was fine. It's never my first choice and they didn't always cost more than the regular one and if they did it was like two or three bucks. Last I checked it was closer to ten now.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

CPL593H posted:

I'm too much of a purist to ever listen to classic albums remixed. Especially when it's not done by the person who was originally worked on it. And even then sometimes you end up with something like Iggy Pop's Raw Power remix. I never really took issue with Abbey Road. The mono releases that were put out in stereo in their own era are a mess though. But then it gets wacky again because some of the mono songs on Magical Mystery Tour and The White Album (which admittedly I don't like all that much because half of it is not every good) have these weird quirks or are missing some little sound effects here and there. Mono is 100% the way to go with Sgt. Pepper though. I don't think there will ever be a debate about that. I was lucky enough to grab the mono CDs for the Rubber Soul - The Beatles Part 1 & 2 way back when. The only mono LP reissue I got was Revolver because I never thought they'd ever put those out of print and I didn't feel the need to get right on albums I've heard nine million times. Such is life.

The biggest issue I have with Abbey Road is it’s original stereo mix does that thing where it’s half of the instrumentation 100% in one channel and the other half 100% in the other channel. The 2009 remaster of it sounds pretty but it still has the awful mixing that’s only helpful in finding out if one of your speakers is blown (true story the first time I listened to the 2009 Abbey Road remaster is how I learned one of my computer speakers was dead because I could literally only hear half the music)

The 2019 remix does a good job of bringing the instrumentation together without fundamentally changing the sound of the album. And while it’s not the work of George R. Martin, it’s pretty much the next best thing: his son, who grew up listening to this music and seeing his dad work first-hand. The Love remix album he did ages ago is incredible and it’s what had me anticipating a redone Abbey Road for years afterward.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

The biggest issue I have with Abbey Road is it’s original stereo mix does that thing where it’s half of the instrumentation 100% in one channel and the other half 100% in the other channel. The 2009 remaster of it sounds pretty but it still has the awful mixing that’s only helpful in finding out if one of your speakers is blown (true story the first time I listened to the 2009 Abbey Road remaster is how I learned one of my computer speakers was dead because I could literally only hear half the music)

The 2019 remix does a good job of bringing the instrumentation together without fundamentally changing the sound of the album. And while it’s not the work of George R. Martin, it’s pretty much the next best thing: his son, who grew up listening to this music and seeing his dad work first-hand. The Love remix album he did ages ago is incredible and it’s what had me anticipating a redone Abbey Road for years afterward.

Never mind all that, when are they going to re-release the Let It Be movie and the new movie made from other footage from that session? It was on track to come out last year and it stalled out and not just because of the pandemic. I've been hearing "It'll be out in a couple years!" for like 20 years.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

In totally irreverent news I guess I'm collecting the lovely late 80s CDs of the Beatles now? The ones that were largely forced into stereo via the worst means possible (instruments on the left, vocals on the right).

Up to 7 of these now: not pictured is Rubber Soul, Abbey Road, and Let it Be. I, or someone else, should really start a CD thread.

There is was a CD thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814175

Looking around for the wax cylinder thread. Couldn't find it so I'll post this here.

https://redmartian.com/?product=red-martian-%e3%83%87%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc%e3%83%99%e3%83%ab-daisy-bell

They have an acetate of the month club as well...

CPL593H posted:

Never mind all that, when are they going to re-release the Let It Be movie and the new movie made from other footage from that session? It was on track to come out last year and it stalled out and not just because of the pandemic. I've been hearing "It'll be out in a couple years!" for like 20 years.

I saw the some footage months ago and it looked great. It would be really cool to see that footage in a new light. Think I rented that and Cocksucker Blues as a double feature for movie night back in the day. Portland has the best video store.

https://moviemadness.org/

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 11, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

There is was a CD thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814175

Looking around for the wax cylinder thread. Couldn't find it so I'll post this here.

https://redmartian.com/?product=red-martian-%e3%83%87%e3%82%a4%e3%82%b8%e3%83%bc%e3%83%99%e3%83%ab-daisy-bell

They have an acetate of the month club as well...

I saw the some footage months ago and it looked great. It would be really cool to see that footage in a new light. Think I rented that and Cocksucker Blues as a double feature for movie night back in the day. Portland has the best video store.

https://moviemadness.org/

The Beatles 1+ blu-ray set has a bunch of the Let IT Be music scenes and they are beautifully restored. So there's that at least. I have a bootleg of the whole movie. But you know, it's a bootleg so it's basically a decent VHS transferred to DVD.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Waiting for that movie to be released on home video again as been a real long and winding road!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I want to say there was a new trailer posted for Jackson's take on the footage earlier this year? idk if there was an agreed-upon release date, however.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Yahoo Auctions/Mercari and a mail forwarder/proxy service, learn to search the artists names with Kanji. I use Zenmarket. Even factoring in shipping and Zenmarket fees it will usually end up cheaper than buying on discogs, especially if you consolidate on shipping. If you must go discogs route, prepare to pay a hefty premium, don't buy from Kupiku or Face Records, their markups are ridiculous. Even still, Japanese sellers have figured out what we're doing and City Pop stuff especially is priced quite high.

Yeah, the resurgence of I checked the Japan section of my local record store, but it was all ~1950s-era "crooner" type music. Very cool, but not what I was looking for.

It's more jazz fusion, but this is my Japanese music white whale...I could afford one if I saved up, but it's hard to justify that kind of spending right now.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=287930&ev=mb&format=Vinyl

99% of that stuff is bargain bin garbage (I still love it) but there are some things that will sell for absolute crazy prices for some reason, if you know what to look for

screaden fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 11, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

The Beatles 1+ blu-ray set has a bunch of the Let IT Be music scenes and they are beautifully restored. So there's that at least. I have a bootleg of the whole movie. But you know, it's a bootleg so it's basically a decent VHS transferred to DVD.

I bought a VHS bootleg of Renaldo and Clara a bunch of years ago, and it’s the absolute worst (video) bootleg I’ve ever seen. And you’re going to say, “ha ha, I bet it’s a little fuzzy and the color’s bad”, but this is like trying to watch a scrambled channel on an old cable box bad. It’s all horizontal lines and intense distortion and fuzz. It’s basically a lousy rip of the soundtrack on vhs. To this day I’ve never watched more than 15 or 20 minutes of it just to see if it got any better. If I bought it at someplace local I would have returned it.

Now we need a vhs thread. I have a copy of Don’t Look Back that’s not a bootleg, it’s kind of a white label I guess that came from DA Pennebaker’s collection. I have no way to authenticate that though.

But I would love to see the Let It Be movie. I hope it comes out this year.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Waiting for that movie to be released on home video again as been a real long and winding road!

Controversial take - Phil Spector really saved that song. The strings and the choir really put the finishing touches on the song, and all other versions feel like incomplete demos.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
Does anybody do Record Store Day online? I just found out that I've got to go out of town for work tomorrow. I just wanted a Warren Zevon album :(

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Human Cow posted:

Does anybody do Record Store Day online? I just found out that I've got to go out of town for work tomorrow. I just wanted a Warren Zevon album :(

What’s the zevon?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

BigFactory posted:

What’s the zevon?

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13491

quote:

Following Warren Zevon's death in 2003, his son Jordan Zevon discovered 126 unreleased outtakes and demos in a piano-sized touring case. This discovery would be distilled down to the best of these recordings and eventually released as a 2CD set titled Preludes released on May 1, 2007. When the album was released it featured sixteen unreleased recordings from Zevon's personal archives, as well as six never-before released songs and a five-part 2000 interview with KGSR's Jody Denberg. Now, for the first vinyl release, these will be pressed on beautiful Sky Blue vinyl, this doule LP set features all of the exclusive bonus tracks as well as a beautiful 20-page perfect bound book, all packaged in a hardbound slipcase.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Oh cool. Preludes is good stuff.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I won an auction on ebay months ago, a signed copy of a Jalelladin Takesh album. When it arrived I almost failed to notice the return address was from J. Takesh. I just ran across that mailer.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Indeed the poorly mixed beatles albums are good for diagnosing speaker problems, rip my right earbud that's inexplicably dead, plus it's how I know it's my record player connection that's weak on the left and not the rest of the set up. Soon I'll look at the headshell, been so drat busy lately.

I have however decided that I'm just going to leave RSD up to fate tommorow and just roll into the record shop whenever. If ones I want are still there great, if not, whatever.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Indeed the poorly mixed beatles albums are good for diagnosing speaker problems, rip my right earbud that's inexplicably dead, plus it's how I know it's my record player connection that's weak on the left and not the rest of the set up. Soon I'll look at the headshell, been so drat busy lately.

I have however decided that I'm just going to leave RSD up to fate tommorow and just roll into the record shop whenever. If ones I want are still there great, if not, whatever.

That's too funny, years ago I discovered the right speaker in my old work van was blown while listening to one of those Beatles albums.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

screaden posted:

Yahoo Auctions/Mercari and a mail forwarder/proxy service, learn to search the artists names with Kanji. I use Zenmarket. Even factoring in shipping and Zenmarket fees it will usually end up cheaper than buying on discogs, especially if you consolidate on shipping. If you must go discogs route, prepare to pay a hefty premium, don't buy from Kupiku or Face Records, their markups are ridiculous. Even still, Japanese sellers have figured out what we're doing and City Pop stuff especially is priced quite high.

99% of that stuff is bargain bin garbage (I still love it) but there are some things that will sell for absolute crazy prices for some reason, if you know what to look for

This was incredibly helpful, thank you! <3

This is my first Record Store Day and I have no idea what to expect!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Controversial take - Phil Spector really saved that song. The strings and the choir really put the finishing touches on the song, and all other versions feel like incomplete demos.

I don't think that's controversial at all and you're right. Let It Be was a salvage effort so making it into any sort of coherent album is impressive enough.

The Human Cow posted:

Bullmoose puts a bunch of the RSD stuff on their website a day or two after RSD.

Turbinosamente posted:

You mean you're going to just leave getting that reissue of Reach The Beach by The Fixx up to chance? That reissue we definitely needed of an album that's in such high demand and short supply which will probably cost no less than 25 bucks!

This is my first Record Store Day and I have no idea what to expect!

A bunch of people getting up at dawn to stand in a line so they can snatch up what few interesting items there are so they can sell them on ebay for 3-5 times the already absurd retail price. 95% of the rest of the releases are absolute poo poo no one wants like "audiophile" reissues of the same classic rock albums everyone already has that have been reissued many times over which will collect dust in these stores for years to come.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wish record store day would go back to being mostly 7”s that are new instead of a billion 12” reissues of completely marginal interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

I wish record store day would go back to being mostly 7”s that are new instead of a billion 12” reissues of completely marginal interest.

You mean fun?