Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
We took turns reading the sex scenes in Glasshouse at my master's residency. It was almost as funny as the HP fanfic where Dobby has a groinsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Scott Westerfeldt has an amazing story about driving his parents across Texas after they'd (apparently) read some of his early books. After an hour of silence his mom said, "Scott, dear, I read your novel. There was something I didn't really understand. When she put her prehensile clitoris into his urethra, would that really feel good?" And his dad said "Yes, honey, it's called sounding."

:gonk:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

:yikes:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Stross's fetishes are most obvious in his standalone scifi books, Accelandro + Glasshouse.

Now I'm wondering if I should go back and re-read those to figure out what they were.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ssssooo is this a good time to ask about more high fantasy novels like Janny Wurts' stuff or should I see myself out...?

e: like I grabbed volume one of the Crown of Stars series today, looking forward to sinking a lot of time into it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Speaking of High Fantasy, Poul Anderson's Broken Sword is $2 on US kindle right now.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Kraps posted:

What are some books that combine Scifi and Fantasy?

some of karl schroeder's more abstruse non-Virga stuff might scratch your itch,

or, hell, Virga too, if "sci-fi setting but with more high fantasy-typical tone and narrative tropes" counts

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ssssooo is this a good time to ask about more high fantasy novels like Janny Wurts' stuff or should I see myself out...?

why would it be a bad time to ask about fantasy in the fantasy thread

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 15, 2018

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Loutre posted:

I'm halfway through the first book in Peter F. Hamilton's new "Salvation Sequence" series, and it's pretty enjoyable so far.

I'm getting a lot of Hyperion vibes. It's the story of 5 people on an adventure, interspliced with long stories they tell about their interlocked histories, in a world littered with teleporters.

I thought it was a good start for a new series. The ending was waaaaay too abrupt in my opinion, but it'd probably hold up better if the next book was out. Standard stuff from him, only one sex scene to +30 through.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

PupsOfWar posted:

some of karl schroeder's more abstruse non-Virga stuff might scratch your itch,

or, hell, Virga too, if "sci-fi setting but with more high fantasy-typical tone and narrative tropes" counts

why would it be a bad time to ask about fantasy in the fantasy thread

Virga's great, just read it no matter what, but it does feel a lot like a fantasy novel except for the careful attention to technical detail.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Now I'm wondering if I should go back and re-read those to figure out what they were.

Accelerando features weird perverted future sex where the participants actually touched each other and exchanged bodily fluids instead of doing it in completely safe mind-linked VR like a healthy normal couple.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ancillary Justice is an extremely cool book.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Accelerando features weird perverted future sex where the participants actually touched each other and exchanged bodily fluids instead of doing it in completely safe mind-linked VR like a healthy normal couple.

Did that book come out before or after Demolition Man?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just saw there's a new Halloween story bundle. Anyone familiar with any of them?

You mean the ChiZine one? The only book listed that I've read is Every House is Haunted by Ian Rogers, but it was a great collection. I've read stuff by most of the other authors and it was all good, so you probably can't go wrong.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Did that book come out before or after Demolition Man?

That's actually a good question, its a stitch up of a bunch of related short stories and I'm not sure when that individual story was written.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

That's actually a good question, its a stitch up of a bunch of related short stories and I'm not sure when that individual story was written.

Significantly after.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Let me save you some time: every letter in the term BDSM is Stross's fetish.
And yes, it crops up in all the Laundry series books, kinda like seeing the white arrow in the FedEx logo, once you see it...it's hard to un-see.

Accelandro had the gimp scene, Glasshouse was either Stross going deep into his happy place and pumping out prose (ugh unintended phrasing), or it was Stross reworking the really gross bits of Heinlein's exceptionally skeevy book Friday into a standalone novel.

e: tried finding a youtube clip of last week's It's Always Sunny russian malware joke that had Mac chafed + limping after 4 hours of private computer time for a "that was Charles Stross after finishing Glasshouse" meta-joke.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 16, 2018

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I remember the BDSM in Accelerando, but nothing like it in Glasshouse, perhaps because I actually enjoyed reading the latter. Guess I should read it again.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Glasshouse is a weird, weird book, and anyone going into it should be wary.
And it was definitely influenced by/copied multiple elements of Robert Heinlein's 1982 novel Friday.
Lumping all the Heinlein "incest is cool you prudes" books into the number 1 slot, Heinlein's Friday is probably the 2nd most creepy book Heinlein ever got published.

Now that I remember Saturns Children exists with it's sexbot cover, that makes two Heinlein homages Stross has written...of the same book.

Just to break away from fetish chat in science fiction novels, I finished Quakeland by Kathryn Miles earlier today.
Pretty good book, definitely recommend it to other people. It was slightly scattershot, had a good summary of tectonics knowledge as of 2017. Spoiler alert: Salt Lake City Utah is mega-hosed if a magnitude 5/magnitude 6 earthquake occurs.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just saw there's a new Halloween story bundle. Anyone familiar with any of them?

The Carey family book is great. It's not as good as the Steel Seraglio but it's really enjoyable.

Experimental Film felt like an interesting premise that dragged too long. Honestly almost everything ChiZine does is worth at least checking out.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Man, the new Black Company is not very good. A lot of :yikes: moments and not in a good way. It really feels like it was written by a completely different and way creepier dude.

There is an interesting story under all of that, but man, his editor should have made him cut and rewrite a bunch of it. The plot was inherently gonna be problematic, but I feel like he would have handled it way better in his prime.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 16, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Darksaber posted:

I thought it was a good start for a new series. The ending was waaaaay too abrupt in my opinion

Never start a Hamilton series until he's finished it. I thought we went over this already. It always ends in tears, or someone going over an infinite waterfall.

Whatever else you can say about him as a writer, he does cliffhangers better than anyone else ever did.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I haven't read Accelerando yet, so my strongest memory relating to it is reading this one review of it that went on a tangent about how much the reviewer hates cats. It made me want to read the book to spite that guy.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Let me save you some time: every letter in the term BDSM is Stross's fetish.

Honestly, you're the only one who ever brings this up and you do it every time so maybe this is more your issue than Stross's.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah, the BDSM scenes in Accelerando were intentional comedy, I thought.

The "sequel" to Saturn's Children has no sex that I can recall, and doesn't resemble the book Friday in any way.

Now, you wanna read something hosed up, try his short story about unicorns.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Honestly, you're the only one who ever brings this up and you do it every time so maybe this is more your issue than Stross's.

:agreed:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Now that I remember Saturns Children exists with it's sexbot cover, that makes two Heinlein homages Stross has written...of the same book.

Stross had nothing to say about the cover of Saturns Children, that was something entirely up to the publisher.

As for Stross, I feel like the Eschaton series ended way too soon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Another author who's as prolific as Schaefer (but just not quite as good at the noir bit) is Orlando Sanchez.

Pretty good books, but I've only read the Simon and Montague series. He's got like 4? others going on at the moment.

Just thought I'd recommend him if someone was looking for a decent urban fantasy read on Kindle unlimited.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Cardiac posted:

Stross had nothing to say about the cover of Saturns Children, that was something entirely up to the publisher.

He said it was broken. Something to do with being able to go ftl and all the human societies being placed back in time proportional (1 year per ly) to their distance from earth. Meaning the ReMastered should really have been able to get to earth before the E came into being. Or something like that. He had a 3rd book planned about pirates and accountancy.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Fair enough, awkward sex scenes just stick out in good scifi stories like Stross usually writes. So, won't mention it again.

Collateral posted:

He said it was broken. Something to do with being able to go ftl and all the human societies being placed back in time proportional (1 year per ly) to their distance from earth. Meaning the ReMastered should really have been able to get to earth before the E came into being. Or something like that. He had a 3rd book planned about pirates and accountancy.

That actually got published. Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross. Bitcoin, interstellar piracy, secret FTL travel, a literal waterworld, pirate accountants, and flatwormy deep-deep sea miners.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

Yeah, the BDSM scenes in Accelerando were intentional comedy, I thought.

The "sequel" to Saturn's Children has no sex that I can recall, and doesn't resemble the book Friday in any way.

Now, you wanna read something hosed up, try his short story about unicorns.

I wouldn't have gone with comedy as it was a rape scene (female on male) but it didn't strike me as particularly fetishistic, it was pretty integral to the plot since that's where the daughter came from, and it was the only scene like that in the book.

Stross has posted that he hates the US cover for Saturn's Children--he didn't get to choose it, but he had already thrown a hissy fit over the cover to whatever he published right before it and didn't think he had the ability to demand a complete redo at the time. For the record, the UK cover is this.

This isn't to say that Stross isn't kind of pervy but it's never struck me enough to make a noteworthy impact on any of his books I've read. I haven't read the Laundry series outside of some short stories so maybe there's more of it in the series that's about Lovecraftian horror.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Stross's Merchant Princesses follows the scifi/fantasy mash-up established by Roger Zelazny's Changling/Madwand books, magic + science intertwined with dimension travelling.

That's my point though. There is zero magic in Merchant Princes except the dimensional travelling (which in itself isn't something beyond the ken of science, in the setting).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, the new Black Company is not very good. A lot of :yikes: moments and not in a good way. It really feels like it was written by a completely different and way creepier dude.

There is an interesting story under all of that, but man, his editor should have made him cut and rewrite a bunch of it. The plot was inherently gonna be problematic, but I feel like he would have handled it way better in his prime.

He's 75 next year, he may unfortunately have reached that condition of "Oh dear, he really should have retired from writing 10 years ago" that a lot of F&SF writers suffer from. In my head I've always thought of it as Heinlein Syndrome but there's no shortage of other candidates you could name it after.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 16, 2018

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiac posted:

That cover is totally appropriate given the content of the book though

I wasn’t imagining the scene with the robot’s self lubricating nipples was I

Or having a completely trashy orgasm with a space ship

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Collateral posted:

Other authors would have ignored that and made up something to make it fit together.
So I guess he got bored of the scenario or it didn’t sell enough. The merchant princes apparently goes well with like 3 different series, but was boring to me.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I just noticed there's a new Honor Harrington book out.

Which I used to love.

But I was astonished he actually wrapped up the Safehold series so maybe he's reigning stuff in and moving towards a conclusion. :shrug:

Anyone read it and care to comment? My baseline assumption is that shark hasn't merely jumped, but is currently heading for low Earth orbit.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich

Deptfordx posted:

I just noticed there's a new Honor Harrington book out.

Which I used to love.

But I was astonished he actually wrapped up the Safehold series so maybe he's reigning stuff in and moving towards a conclusion. :shrug:

Anyone read it and care to comment? My baseline assumption is that shark hasn't merely jumped, but is currently heading for low Earth orbit.

It wasn’t terrible! Although the parts directly involving her were largely boring, they were a small part of the book. And it more or less wraps up the Solarian war and is probably the last HH-focused book. If he writes more I expect a 25-30 year jump with her kids in a new war against the Mesan Alignment proxy nation.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Other authors would have ignored that and made up something to make it fit together.
So I guess he got bored of the scenario or it didn’t sell enough. The merchant princes apparently goes well with like 3 different series, but was boring to me.

Stross’ thing is that he looks at FTL as “hard science”, so handwaving away the time travel paradox would have been against the entire point of the book.

I’m not smart enough to understand that stuff so my fiction involves a lot of hyperspace and wormholes and poo poo idgaf

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

That's Port of Shadows, right? Good to know - I think I'll avoid it (and Pitiless Rain when it comes out) then, if he's gone a bit...weird with age.
(And well, me not buying PoS is also good in a sense, since that'll give me a chance to read through all the other books I have! :v: I've been eyeing off my copy of The Count of Monte Cristo, so I might give that a go after I finish TBC series)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

occamsnailfile posted:

I wouldn't have gone with comedy as it was a rape scene (female on male) but it didn't strike me as particularly fetishistic, it was pretty integral to the plot since that's where the daughter came from, and it was the only scene like that in the book.

Stross has posted that he hates the US cover for Saturn's Children--he didn't get to choose it, but he had already thrown a hissy fit over the cover to whatever he published right before it and didn't think he had the ability to demand a complete redo at the time. For the record, the UK cover is this.

This isn't to say that Stross isn't kind of pervy but it's never struck me enough to make a noteworthy impact on any of his books I've read. I haven't read the Laundry series outside of some short stories so maybe there's more of it in the series that's about Lovecraftian horror.

I started reading Glass House and the protagonist immediately casually has an orgy with a four armed woman and a unicorn. I dropped the book like my hands had been burnt. Fortunately Stross has restraint enough to keep it out of a lot of his work - on my experience anyway - or to keep it to vaguely creepy levels like the 16 year old loving the 50something guy off camera in Iron Sunrise rather than mega gratuitous wank material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Neurosis posted:

Fortunately Stross has restraint enough to keep it out of a lot of his work - on my experience anyway - or to keep it to vaguely creepy levels like the 16 year old loving the 50something guy off camera in Iron Sunrise rather than mega gratuitous wank material.

Science Fiction and Fantasy: what is this, the alabama of space?