Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

RZA Encryption posted:

Are you blaming the user for poor device design?

We are all slaves to corporate customer blaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EugeneJ posted:

So are the overpriced phones a way for Google to promote Fi, or is Fi a way for Google to promote overpriced phones?

Fi is just one of those Google projects that they forgot about and haven't gotten around to killing yet. I'm sure they'll remember sometime in the next 2-3 new messaging platforms.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Maneki Neko posted:

Fi is just one of those Google projects that they forgot about and haven't gotten around to killing yet. I'm sure they'll remember sometime in the next 2-3 new messaging platforms.

We have a winner.

Fi is a side project like Fiber which is going to wither on the vine.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I'm extremely surprised my Google voice number still functions honestly

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

So are the overpriced phones a way for Google to promote Fi, or is Fi a way for Google to promote overpriced phones?

Nexus 6P owns, nothing overpriced about it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Daydream was a big hit at New Year's playing "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes." Turns out a room full of drunk people love disarming fake bombs.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Daydream was a big hit at New Year's playing "Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes." Turns out a room full of drunk people love disarming fake bombs.

Was going to ask what a screensaver would accomplish before remembering daydream is two things in Android

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I played that game too but with a Note 7

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I played that game too but with a Note 7

He said fake bombs not real ones

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RZA Encryption posted:

Are you blaming the user for poor device design?

Any sufficiently advanced fool will surprise even the most competent planner.

Not saying Samsung is competent, but they probably didn't expect anyone to try and jam their S-Pen in backwards. Because...who would expect someone to put it in backwards? The thing's got a pointed tip. Looks like an arrow.

And guess what, after people proved to be dumber than expected, they did indeed change it for their next Note. Unfortunately they also managed to turn it into a bomb, but still.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The pen should have a tiny extension at the top which prevents it from going in backwards. A single millimeter would be sufficient because let's be honest the people buying Samsung aren't the brightest

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jigoku posted:

Why get a 5x when they are randomly boot looping?

is this like a serious problem that should warrant not buying the phone or what?

one of my friends never got around to selling the 5x he bought immediately before they announced the pixel so if i can buy that for a comedy discount well im gonna do that unless its bad + hosed up

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 2, 2017

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RVProfootballer posted:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-nexus-6p-bootlooping/

quote:

The Google Nexus 6P may not be that old yet, but some users are experiencing some pretty serious issues with it. The latest? With new software updates, the phone seems to be getting itself stuck in a bootloop.

Google, however, says that the issue isn’t due to software updates — but rather a hardware issue with the Nexus 6P. Not only that, but there doesn’t appear to be a real solution to the problem. In fact, Google recommends contacting your place of purchase for warranty information. It’s not clear if users will get a replacement device or just get a repair — or if it just depends on the retailer.

welp

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Any sufficiently advanced fool will surprise even the most competent planner.

Not saying Samsung is competent, but they probably didn't expect anyone to try and jam their S-Pen in backwards. Because...who would expect someone to put it in backwards? The thing's got a pointed tip. Looks like an arrow.

And guess what, after people proved to be dumber than expected, they did indeed change it for their next Note. Unfortunately they also managed to turn it into a bomb, but still.

You should definitely keep blaming user error for terrible loving design.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
IIRC Samsung's response at the time the issue first came up was just "the manual says not to do that :rolleyes:".

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maybe we can move on to phones that are impossible to drop after we solve this thing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Speaking of Uncle Sam

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-concludes-note-7-investigation

quote:

According to South Korean daily JoongAng Ilbo, Samsung has concluded its investigation, and will reveal the results of the probe by mid-January. A combination of factors is said to have contributed to the failure of the phone, and Samsung will be looking to share the findings as a way to regain much-need consumer trust and ensure it doesn't do the same mistakes again.

:f5:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samsung is a terrible company skating by on massive market share that's constantly being eroded as people get hosed by poo poo design on, well, drat near every iteration of the note series these days and gently caress off back to iPhones. When you gently caress your phone by drunkenly trying to mallard-cock your stylus backward into its slot at least you learned the Samsung Lesson at the cost of an older model poo poo phone than after having your kids and pets die in the house fire caused by the newer model poo poo phone. Sure you shouldn't be trying to jam their stylus in backward and they shouldn't have made it possible to do so (seriously like a tiny tab on the back end would have done it) but at least your house didn't burn down.

For gently caress's sake I'd been poo poo talking Samsung for like eight years now and hilariously the ONE SAMSUNG PHONE I even remotely start considering is the note 7.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

You should definitely keep blaming user error for terrible loving design.

I'm not blaming user error for terrible design

PEBKAC is a thing for a reason :colbert:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Is there a single phone without anyone anywhere on the internet experiencing failed hardware? Like, iPhones die and you get them replaced in person, which is better even than Google Store cross shipping, sure.

And anyway, at least Google is replacing hardware if it happens, it is affecting a tiny fraction of people, and some people say they fixed it by wiping their data and reflashing the software, suggesting at least some of the complaints are from people with hosed software either from a bad update or being dumb with their phone. Some survey of people with the issue posted on reddit found almost half could boot into recovery, again suggesting that for many it's a bad flashed update.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Blue Train posted:

The pen should have a tiny extension at the top which prevents it from going in backwards. A single millimeter would be sufficient because let's be honest the people buying Samsung aren't the brightest

Guess what Note models 1-4 had.. a tiny 1mm extension at the top, preventing people from inserting it the wrong way. Samsung just regressed because of reasons.

People will make mistakes. That is why you design products so that errors are not too easy to make. The world is full of examples. Probably engineers wanted to keep that feature but some retarded "design guru" said it looked ugly so they had to remove it...

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RVProfootballer posted:

Is there a single phone without anyone anywhere on the internet experiencing failed hardware? Like, iPhones die and you get them replaced in person, which is better even than Google Store cross shipping, sure.

And anyway, at least Google is replacing hardware if it happens, it is affecting a tiny fraction of people, and some people say they fixed it by wiping their data and reflashing the software, suggesting at least some of the complaints are from people with hosed software either from a bad update or being dumb with their phone. Some survey of people with the issue posted on reddit found almost half could boot into recovery, again suggesting that for many it's a bad flashed update.

This sounds an awful lot like the post making fun of me in the Fi thread a month ago when I first mentioned the 5X's were having problems

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

This sounds an awful lot like the post making fun of me in the Fi thread a month ago when I first mentioned the 5X's were having problems

I don't post in the Fi thread, but lol if that is "making fun of you". Anyway, the point is that not every complaint on the internet reflects a true and widespread problem, not that no complaints do.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 2, 2017

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Seems the charger on my wife's 2 week old pixel has given up on working? Googling doesn't seem to show this as a common/known issue but absolutely nothing out of the ordinary has happened with it prior to it no longer working.

It's the only one we have until my pixel arrives in a day or two, so I've had to stick the usb-a to C cable that came with it in to another charger to at least keep the phone going.

Returning the whole phone for just a defective charger will be a massive pain in the bum but I'm guessing that's what we'd have to do? But ~£30 for a replacement official charger is a bit much to just ignore it!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't post in the Fi thread, but lol if that is "making fun of you". Anyway, the point is that not every complaint on the internet reflects a true and widespread problem, not that no complaints do.

Nah, somebody jumped down his throat for asking whether the 5X defect was limited to a certain SKU. The dude was really hostile for no good reason. Also, several people in this thread reported the issue. I wouldn't downplay it at this point, especially considering there's no way to fix it.

Edit: I mean, we were just trashing Samsung for the reverse pen thing. Now we're white-knighting Google/LG for phones completely bricking.

azurite fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 2, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

azurite posted:

Nah, somebody jumped down his throat for asking whether the 5X defect was limited to a certain SKU. The dude was really hostile for no good reason. Also, several people in this thread reported the issue. I wouldn't downplay it at this point, especially considering there's no way to fix it.

Edit: I mean, we were just trashing Samsung for the reverse pen thing. Now we're white-knighting Google/LG for phones completely bricking.

Gotcha about the Fi thread. But we're talking about two different things. LG doesn't make the Huawei Nexus 6P, so if the 5X is a hardware fault, you either think Huawei made the same mistake as LG, or it's a software flaw of some kind. As I said, almost half of the self-selecting people responding to a survey about their "bricked" Nexus 6P on reddit could get into recovery, while others couldn't (though in comments, multiple people seemed to say they could get to the android with red exclamation mark and thought that meant they couldn't get into recovery, fwiw). That isn't proof the 6P has a huge problem with its hardware failing, and that's a completely different universe than making a pen slot that can take a pen in either direction but will permanently break it if you put it in one way. Just seems like the latest 7.1 update might have some low level problem causing issues with the 6P, or at least more than most updates usually cause issues.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Ah, I missed the 6P part.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My guess is that the 5x and 6p use the same TPM chip as part of whole disk encryption, which is now failing due to xyz.

That said, I'm using a $650 Pixel until they open up Fi to cheaper phones that aren't the 5x. After drat near getting stranded 3 hours from an international airport with no access to Uber, my flight reservations, email and all the other things I've come to depend on my phone for.

If you travel at all and own a 5x, make sure you have a contingency plan. I'm really glad i wasn't traveling internationally when mine decided to brick. We were looking at spending the holiday in Thailand. That could have been a real disaster.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My guess is the TPM has a non-volatile storage area of its own for encryption keys which is crapping out.

I heard the 6P had the same part, too, but I don't know for certain. I think someone posted about it in this thread, but I can't find anything about it via web search.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So, any idea when Pixel XL availability will be sorted out?

I've been in need of a new phone for like a month and the poo poo is still sold out, and straight up not available at best buy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So I'm trying to figure out the best way to remotely manage my Shield TV. Mainly just reboot it if necessary (Plex server sometimes stops working). My best ideas right now are enabling Google remote debugging a directory using command line or possible AirDroid if I can set up unattended access. Anyone have any better ideas?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I wouldn't use AirDroid. I guess it's main vulnerabilities are fixed now but they handled it extremely incompetently

https://blog.zimperium.com/analysis-of-multiple-vulnerabilities-in-airdroid/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've been in need of a new phone for like a month and the poo poo is still sold out, and straight up not available at best buy.

Not that it helps you but I ordered mine when they last became available and had it within two weeks. The best I can tell you is to sign up for Google's alerts on it so when it comes back in stock they'll tell you, they were accurate and is how I got mine. :shrug:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Nitrousoxide posted:

Ordered on December 3, still waiting for shipping.

The upside is that device payment won't start until I have it in hand, so my bill has been ~$35 lighter for 2 cycles now.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I ordered my Pixel XL on the 26th and it was in my hands on the 30th.

v:shobon:v

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I had the 6P bootloop. It happened randomly when I was looking through hangouts for a picture someone had MMS'd me. I had an unlocked bootloader but hadn't rooted or flashed anything, kosher OTA updates only.

I couldn't get into recovery but I could get to the screen where it allowed me to choose between recovery, wipe device, boot normally etc which I think some people might have confused with actual recovery.

Since I had an unlocked bootloader I could have tried to flash an update to see if it fixed it but since google had already agreed to replace it and I had a crack in my screen...:shrug:

I think it's still a fine phone but between this and the running out of battery at 40% some other people are reporting I would probably push people to spend more on the pixel.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

+1

While I had mine replaced mainly for the broken Speakerphone and battery starting to get all wonky, the device is still fantastic today and TPM issue or not (doubt it's as big of an issue yet as the battery issue or the 5X's level of bootloops) the rest of the device is still drat good.

If you want a potentially problem free phone, (I haven't heard of any major issues at least, I could be wrong though) get a HTC10. Unlike the Pixel even, HTC seemed to do some drat good work on making that phone as good as they possibly could even if it was a bit bland from the outside.

I wonder what the "U" Announcement is going to be though. I continue to wonder really why Sprint had them make the Bolt, and not call it an EVO to boot lol. (Literally just had them make it to show off some new LTE Tech from what I can tell. And tech only the 810 had, but the 820 didn't WTF?)

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 3, 2017

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
With the recent talk of 6P bootloops, I wanted to turn OEM Unlocking back on, but it mentions that Device Protection Features will no longer work while that setting is on. What are the device protection features that get disabled with OEM unlocking on?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If your device gets lost or stolen, someone could reflash and use it even if it was encrypted. They can't get at your data, but the hardware will work for them.

Basically, it prevents a lost or stolen phone from becoming a brick for the finder or thief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

THF13 posted:

I had the 6P bootloop. It happened randomly when I was looking through hangouts for a picture someone had MMS'd me. I had an unlocked bootloader but hadn't rooted or flashed anything, kosher OTA updates only.

I couldn't get into recovery but I could get to the screen where it allowed me to choose between recovery, wipe device, boot normally etc which I think some people might have confused with actual recovery.

Since I had an unlocked bootloader I could have tried to flash an update to see if it fixed it but since google had already agreed to replace it and I had a crack in my screen...:shrug:

I think it's still a fine phone but between this and the running out of battery at 40% some other people are reporting I would probably push people to spend more on the pixel.

Mine booted to the same screen. You couldn't actually do anything from there except look at the options that don't do anything.