Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
I don't know how you invest in a game like this without realizing there's going to be a ton of PvP involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/304267/major-game-design-flaw-stranded-in-space

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

I imagine this will be Sandi when she realizes what she has done to other people,

so... never?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Kakarot posted:

They did one for Veterans day once, sold a 15-20 dollar item. People complained about um...supporting war criminals or something so they didnt do it again.

To add to what everyone else has said, the cherry on the top: 2-3 years later the skin still doesn't actually have any effect in game, and the resale price on the grey market is at like 500% of the original purchase price because it is so rare. Capitalism!

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

To add to what everyone else has said, the cherry on the top: 2-3 years later the skin still doesn't actually have any effect in game, and the resale price on the grey market is at like 500% of the original purchase price because it is so rare. Capitalism!

Seriously? I've melted mine :(

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

quote:

Paul says:
December 13, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Using Star Citizen and Game of War in the same article about the same lovely practices is really strange to me, especially happening after Roberts and his team just released one of the most ambitious pieces of interactive entertainment ever created (yes I am talking about the alpha 2.0). Game of War and its ilk is pure trash…Star Citizen is marvel of art and engineering.

Woah that game sounds awesome where can I play it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

Maybe they are getting ready to sue you but their :woof: told them to keep their mouth shut. Isn't that how it goes?

If they were abiding by the rules, they wouldn't be threatening The Escapist, then getting their bluff called.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You'd think nerds would have learned after the Star Wars prequels. The more I hear people talk about how "this is an amazing development" and "the vision is becoming reality", the more I think they were the idiots who clamored for more movies by Lucas.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

People interacting with me in this open world game in any manner not explicitly designed to make me feel like king poo poo of turd mountain are griefing and should be shot on sight. When I put my money into the game, having only skimmed a couple of discussion posts, I assumed that PvP slider meant no challenge from other players I could not trivially overcome. I spend all day overcoming real-life challenges in my job as assistant junior undersecretary of thermal burger conditioning, I don't want to spend one moment of my video game life being second best to anyone- that's why I exclusively play competitive online games, where I am guaranteed the satisfaction of always being #1 in all situations.

Disagreeing with me is also a form of griefing and is a bannable offense.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

A bloody mary costs $5 in real life US dollars. For the price of four drinks you can buy a spaceship with warp drive and lasers and poo poo. :wtchris:

Firstly, that cocktail menu was printed on a 17lb card made on Earth using old growth forests, and hand couriered to the station. Secondly, that alcohol was smuggled into the station from Earth. They aren't serving any of that fungal vat synthesised garbage. A bloody mary with vodka that doesn't have the bitter-copper after taste from station alcohol, and juice from real vine ripened tomatoes is worth paying Restoration Space Barware 25% of a spaceship for a drink.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

“We take Facebook stalking to a whole new level. You spend enough money, we will friend you. Not officially, but with a fake account. Maybe it’s a hot girl who shows too much cleavage? That’s us. We learned as much before friending you, but once you let us in, we have the keys to the kingdom.”
:chanpop:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

CIG, this- this right here- is how the average gamer not familiar with super-duper alphas and space bullshit is experiencing your game. As a hilariously broken shitpile.

Robbaz posted:

That ship is $200 worth of bad-rear end. It will probably be the best space game ever when it's released... if it's released. I hope in my heart, deep down I really hope they don't gently caress it up. Ohhhh well. gently caress this. Become Glitch Citizen today.

Other person: "You do know elite dangerous are planning to do add their first person thing to the game as well"

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 14, 2015

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6072298/#Comment_6072298

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6073509/#Comment_6073509

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6074513/#Comment_6074513

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Iglocska posted:

Seriously? I've melted mine :(

LOL

noob

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

I found this link in the comment thread. It was meant to be satire, but ended up being a how-to guide: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DanielCookGameDesign/posts/Cyi2Am8gqGq

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

People interacting with me in this open world game in any manner not explicitly designed to make me feel like king poo poo of turd mountain are griefing and should be shot on sight. When I put my money into the game, having only skimmed a couple of discussion posts, I assumed that PvP slider meant no challenge from other players I could not trivially overcome. I spend all day overcoming real-life challenges in my job as assistant junior undersecretary of thermal burger conditioning, I don't want to spend one moment of my video game life being second best to anyone- that's why I exclusively play competitive online games, where I am guaranteed the satisfaction of always being #1 in all situations.

Disagreeing with me is also a form of griefing and is a bannable offense.
You have a nice way of putting things :)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG, this- this right here- is how the average gamer not familiar with super-duper alphas and space bullshit is experiencing your game. As a hilariously broken shitpile.

Naw, the best quote was "Let's all fly the $200 piece of poo poo I bought two years ago that is probably my biggest mistake in my life"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

AP posted:

Northern Ireland. My local postman got shot when I was kid just because he had the crown symbol on his van, not that he had much choice, being a postman. A lot of people similarly have a problem with the Red Poppy even today.

Right, that makes sense. I was thinking mainland UK, and struggling to work out where it was. :(

EDIT: Enjoying the disonance re: pirates in SC. CIG have sold ships designed for pirate use. Does that make CIG wrong? Is anyone asking that? I'm not wading into the sea.

TTerrible fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 14, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

Right, that makes sense. I was thinking mainland UK, and struggling to work out where it was. :(

EDIT: Enjoying the disonance re: pirates in SC. CIG have sold ships designed for pirate use. Does that make CIG wrong? Is anyone asking that? I'm not wading into the sea.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/304361/cig-made-ships-for-pirates-so-what-s-the-issue

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Holy gently caress, we found the one person in the entire world who actually likes HOA's.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/3wnxqt/to_those_saying_star_citizen_is_a_scam/

Oops, the salt spilled over into general gaming channels today. I love it. "Suck it haters!" to a crowd of people who couldn't give less of a poo poo about your stupid cult.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
What the fastest ship in Star Citizen? Didn't someone say it was 500 meters per second?

I want to compare how slow it is compared to Voyager 2 currently flying at 17000m/s

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jobbo_Fett posted:

What the fastest ship in Star Citizen? Didn't someone say it was 500 meters per second?

I want to compare how slow it is compared to Voyager 2 currently flying at 17000m/s

You need 128 bits for that kind of poo poo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

You need 128 bits for that kind of poo poo

but is it 64x64 bits or 128x128 bits?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jobbo_Fett posted:

but is it 64x64 bits or 128x128 bits?

Atari Jaguar?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

gently caress me, the second post in your thread is someone saying piracy is fine as long as the punishment is the same as real life. Why do these people still surprise me.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

Atari Jaguar?

That POS didn't crash as much as Chris Roberts' dream game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

gently caress me, the second post in your thread is someone saying piracy is fine as long as the punishment is the same as real life. Why do these people still surprise me.

I can't post there, I am slipping into wanting to kill them all already

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That POS didn't crash as much as Chris Roberts' dream game.

It also wasn't a colossal rear end in a top hat

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Why is calling people sociopaths allowed while calling people carebears is forbidden?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
can someone give me an estimate on when the botany/bio-dome mini-games will be put in the Alpha? I don't really like PvP. tia.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I can't post there, I am slipping into wanting to kill them all already

The lore says that Drake aren't happy about the piracy so actually..

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

A Neurotic Jew posted:

can someone give me an estimate on when the botany/bio-dome mini-games will be put in the Alpha? I don't really like PvP. tia.

2 weeks

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

The lore says that Drake aren't happy about the piracy so actually..

I cannot use your poll as it seems to be a question then 2 selectable answers, this is unnacceptable

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I cannot use your poll as it seems to be a question then 2 selectable answers, this is unnacceptable

End it all p gabz.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mirificus posted:

Why is calling people sociopaths allowed while calling people carebears is forbidden?

Because sociopaths haven't "invested" tens of thousands of dollars and have a direct line to a concierge who will personally listen to all of their bitching and whining.

One fun thing about that interview is Sandi flat out saying she has to specially train the Concierge support staff. I wonder what that training consists of, and whether or not CIG actually has a policy written down somewhere on how to extract more money out of the upper crust of the addicted.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Because sociopaths haven't "invested" tens of thousands of dollars and have a direct line to a concierge who will personally listen to all of their bitching and whining.

One fun thing about that interview is Sandi flat out saying she has to specially train the Concierge support staff. I wonder what that training consists of, and whether or not CIG actually has a policy written down somewhere on how to extract more money out of the upper crust of the addicted.

Personal grooming

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6078639/#Comment_6078639

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Please god, just one time let me reach through my monitor, I won;t bother you again, I swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Anything over 2 lines I skip anyway so gently caress knows what some of these guys are on about

• Locked thread