Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I want to write a book about them titled "The Worst Generation."

Mine will be called "The Greatest Generation ('great' meaning large or immense, I use it in the pejorative sense)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/935098939522633729

Setting aside that divorce was the reason for the CofE existing, I feel like there was something else worse than that about Wallis Simpson :thunk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a pretty great map.

I'm Sweden and her sister clearly running a book on who's going to win.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Mine will be called "The Greatest Generation ('great' meaning large or immense, I use it in the pejorative sense)"

Der Grossest Generation.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/spectator/status/935098939522633729

Setting aside that divorce was the reason for the CofE existing, I feel like there was something else worse than that about Wallis Simpson :thunk:

The fact that she was American? That doesn't help here...;)

(However - Charles, the literal heir to the throne, is divorced and married to a divorcee. I think uh that that horse has bolted at this point!)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Tias posted:

FDR was by all accounts pretty concerned about the French blundering in Vietnam, but the discourse against communism had him between a rock and a hard place, policy wise. I don't know enough about him to speculate.
Had FDR lived and been healthy enough to engage in diplomacy, things might have gone differently just based on his stronger political position and greater experience. Truman by his own admission initially felt out of his depth in Asia, especially in regards to China, and there was a lot of infighting between different camps of advisers. Truman found his footing more as his presidency went along, but by then the political situation limited his options much more severely.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

OwlFancier posted:

That's a pretty great map.

I'm Sweden and her sister clearly running a book on who's going to win.

I'm all the fauna in Finland.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

feedmegin posted:

The fact that she was American? That doesn't help here...;)

(However - Charles, the literal heir to the throne, is divorced and married to a divorcee. I think uh that that horse has bolted at this point!)

What's wrong with divorce? I thought the whole point of the English royal family starting its own church was that they could do divorcing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's wrong with divorce? I thought the whole point of the English royal family starting its own church was that they could do divorcing.

I have a feeling a lot of these outlets publish these pieces and columns by morons because they tend to get a lot more page views than normal takes.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're fine with divorce but it has to be because of adultery. Or, at least it did in the 30s, I don't know what the deal is now.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a pretty wide space between the CofE as it was established by Henry 8 to basically get his way and what people made it into over the next couple hundred years. A lot of the 17th/18th century fights in ENgland were over whether it was going to lean more in a protestant direction or a catholic direction theologically. In the end it came down more on the catholic side of that line, with a very heavy emphasis that it was Not Catholic At All because of political fears of catholic dynasties on the continent. It's still not Catholic, but on religious matters it's closer to that than Lutheran or any of the various Calvinist offshoots.

bewbies posted:

They're fine with divorce but it has to be because of adultery. Or, at least it did in the 30s, I don't know what the deal is now.

It also gets super wonky with the royals because they're nominally in charge of the church. I'm hazy at best on the details, but that was a big part of why marrying a divorcee was such a big deal in the 30s - it's one thing for Bob who runs the pub to do it, it's another thing for your king/pope to do it.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 27, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

zoux posted:

I have a feeling a lot of these outlets publish these pieces and columns by morons because they tend to get a lot more page views than normal takes.

Columnists are basically paid trolls at this point and their job is to generate hateclicks. Pay attention to how often poo poo that will make people angry is paywalled.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

"The liberation war of 1914-1915", loving lol

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Note that any act to force France to give up a colony would still have been met by Very Strong Resistance from Britain at this point in time because of the obvious precedent it would set, too. Hell even in the 70s and 80s you don't see America strong arming countries into decolonisation against their will.

This is true in 1945, not so true even two years later. Britain was a model of decolonization later on, mostly because Attlee was too concerned with the domestic economy to bother paying for foreign wars and was handing the keys off to whoever wanted them. India was the big one, of course, but you also have the UK ingloriously GTFO'ing from Palestine and then OK'ing Burma's independence right after India. By the time you get to 1947-48 there really isn't much in the way of English pressure to maintain old colonial holdings for fear of destabilizing their own empire as they were well on their way towards cutting everyone loose and hoping to stay relevant via the commonwealth.

The important thing is that France was aware of all this poo poo and was actively negotiating with the Vietnamese about their post-war relationship. Ho and everyone else thought that they would get something along the lines of what India and Burma did - total independence with some nominal membership in a confederation of former French colonies. These talks culminated in France officially recognizing an "independent" vietnam under Bao Dai in 1949, but it was kind of bullshit. They still retained control of Vietnam's foreign policy, for example, and there was some economic shittery in there too. This was the proximate cause of the war between the Viet Minh and the French - Ho & Co. realized that the French weren't negotiating in good faith for an arrangement similar to what the Indians and Burmese had gotten from the British and took to the field to press for true independence.

This didn't have to be a total disaster, because just a few years earlier a similar situation in the Dutch East Indies resulted in everyone telling the Dutch to cut that poo poo out and grant Indonesia independence.

Of course that's the same year that Mao finally wins his war which drastically changes the American cold war calculus.

There probably was a window of opportunity between '47 and '49 where the French could have either gone all in on an actual commonwealth-like status for Vietnam or Ho could have forced the issue and led to something along the lines of what happened in Indonesia. As it stands the French dragged poo poo out just long enough for China to fall and the whole issue to become hopelessly entangled in Cold War containment policies.

edit: there's also a side line on the Greek Civil War that has to be taken into account if you're looking at it from the American perspective. That plus China is what really made containment policy a big deal

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is true in 1945, not so true even two years later. Britain was a model of decolonization later on, mostly because Attlee was too concerned with the domestic economy to bother paying for foreign wars and was handing the keys off to whoever wanted them. India was the big one, of course, but you also have the UK ingloriously GTFO'ing from Palestine and then OK'ing Burma's independence right after India. By the time you get to 1947-48 there really isn't much in the way of English pressure to maintain old colonial holdings for fear of destabilizing their own empire as they were well on their way towards cutting everyone loose and hoping to stay relevant via the commonwealth.

There's a difference between decolonising voluntarily on your own and watching your fellow colonial power being browbeaten into it by someone else, knowing you could be next, though. Attlee might have been cool with it personally, but the people of Britain as a whole were still pretty heavily attached to the Empire and being forced to divest it would have been seen as a national humiliation, which would be a good way to see him lose the next election by a landslide (see also: why that very same Attlee spent a poo poo ton of incredibly broke postwar Britain's money to get an independent nuclear deterrent after being pushed around by the US).

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

feedmegin posted:

There's a difference between decolonising voluntarily on your own and watching your fellow colonial power being browbeaten into it by someone else, knowing you could be next, though. Attlee might have been cool with it personally, but the people of Britain as a whole were still pretty heavily attached to the Empire and being forced to divest it would have been seen as a national humiliation, which would be a good way to see him lose the next election by a landslide (see also: why that very same Attlee spent a poo poo ton of incredibly broke postwar Britain's money to get an independent nuclear deterrent after being pushed around by the US).

Again, the example of Indonesia shows that wasn't that huge an issue. The Netherlands tried to fight a war to keep from losing the colony right after WW2 and eventually gave up in the face of widespread international pressure, including the US. The calculus of whether to support or squash post-colonial independence movements changed drastically after 1949.

edit: Indonesia is also a great example where you have both what could be described as a nationalist wing of the revolutionaries and an unabashedly left-wing/communist component. If Indonesia had gone down even 3 years later it's very easy to imagine it working out like Vietnam did with an enforced division and western patronage of the anti-communist forces. It really, REALLY can't be understated just how much China changed everything and how bad the timing of Vietnam's final push to break away from France was.

Not that they were to blame for that, the French basically dragged it out for fear of having exactly what happened to the Dutch happen to them.

edit x2: of course Indonesia gets its own flavor of Cold War unpleasantness when it comes time to clean up those old left wing elements.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 27, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Again, the example of Indonesia shows that wasn't that huge an issue. The Netherlands tried to fight a war to keep from losing the colony right after WW2 and eventually gave up in the face of widespread international pressure, including the US. The calculus of whether to support or squash post-colonial independence movements changed drastically after 1949.

I'm talking about Britain's reaction rather than America's, and I will note that even in 1945 Britain is a leeeetle more of a world power than the Netherlands. I agree that Russia and the US between them could have pulled a Suez a decade early if they so chose, but my point is that Britain wouldn't just shrug and say 'ok then' over it, and there would be serious political consequences in both the UK and France (with all sorts of interesting knock on effects in the Cold War, I guess).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't France have real messy decolonization even past Vietnam? I know that they've been through a hell of a lot of wars in Africa because of it.

There's also something I've read about the later decolonization that France has done being paired with a forever tax on the "benefits of colonization" on the countries it left, but I've had difficulties digging up good corroborating resources, so I'm not sure about that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

zoux posted:

Britishnewspapers.txt

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

feedmegin posted:

I'm talking about Britain's reaction rather than America's, and I will note that even in 1945 Britain is a leeeetle more of a world power than the Netherlands. I agree that Russia and the US between them could have pulled a Suez a decade early if they so chose, but my point is that Britain wouldn't just shrug and say 'ok then' over it, and there would be serious political consequences in both the UK and France (with all sorts of interesting knock on effects in the Cold War, I guess).

Eh, I think we just see the situation differently. Even if Britain had decided to throw a fit over it I don't think it would have mattered. A huge part of the reality in SE Asia from '45-49 was that the traditional colonial powers didn't have the resources to get stuck in and the US had a whole different set of priorities. Attlee might not have been popular back home if he'd just washed his hands of the matter, but then he wasn't all that popular to begin with. British reaction to the crumbling of the empire, the suez crisis, and it becoming increasingly obvious to everyone that the US was the hegemonic western power now is a big part of why we got a second helping of Churchill.

The core of it is that it's the US's reaction to indonesia and vietnam that mattered, and the US reacted very, VERY differently before and after the CCP took over China. Before it was an anti-colonial struggle that if anything would see the US's position strengthened as it could befriend the former colonies at the expense of the European powers. After it was framed in the larger context of the struggle to contain communism. It's a very important shift in American foreign policy that underpins a LOT of how the first half of the Cold War shook out.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Didn't France have real messy decolonization even past Vietnam? I know that they've been through a hell of a lot of wars in Africa because of it.

There's also something I've read about the later decolonization that France has done being paired with a forever tax on the "benefits of colonization" on the countries it left, but I've had difficulties digging up good corroborating resources, so I'm not sure about that.
Vietnam was bad, but the French don't spend much time lamenting it because Algeria eclipsed in every way possible. Losing Vietnam was a major embarrassment for French arms, the crisis in Algeria led to an attempted coup and caused the fall of the Fourth Republic.

So yeah, French decolonization was a bit of a shambles.

EDIT: The Fourth Republic had a lot of problems other than Algeria, but Algeria was definitely the thing that pushed it over the edge.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Back to the small stuff with 20mm Projectiles! There's a variety of rounds on display as well as some markings that only apply to certain families of 20mm ordnance. On top of that, we see examples of "New Series" vs "Old Series" projectiles. What's different about them? How were certain 20mm projectiles loaded, and how did a tracer affect that? Check out the blog to find out!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

WW2 Data

Back to the small stuff with 20mm Projectiles! There's a variety of rounds on display as well as some markings that only apply to certain families of 20mm ordnance. On top of that, we see examples of "New Series" vs "Old Series" projectiles. What's different about them? How were certain 20mm projectiles loaded, and how did a tracer affect that? Check out the blog to find out!

Do you know if the Polsten used Oerlikon ammo or if they had their own?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ensign Expendable posted:

Do you know if the Polsten used Oerlikon ammo or if they had their own?

I'm not sure, I'd have to see if any of my other books might mention interchangeable ammo. Seems like the Polsten was just a cheaper version of the Oerlikon and, apart from a difference in magazine use, the wiki for it doesn't mention any supply issues caused by it.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Does anyone have reading recommendations about the espionage in the cold war, especially in Berlin?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

how amazing must it be to just only enjoy reading the exact same poo poo that pops into your head while showering

"Hmm she's divorced I think, isn't that a problem?"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Watching the Vietnam series and it is extremely good. I like the perspectives from both sides, which is not something you often get in English.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Vietnam was bad, but the French don't spend much time lamenting it because Algeria eclipsed in every way possible. Losing Vietnam was a major embarrassment for French arms, the crisis in Algeria led to an attempted coup and caused the fall of the Fourth Republic.

So yeah, French decolonization was a bit of a shambles.

EDIT: The Fourth Republic had a lot of problems other than Algeria, but Algeria was definitely the thing that pushed it over the edge.

Bernard Fall sums it up:

quote:

The French in Algeria learned every lesson from the French in Viet-Nam. The troop ratio there was a comfortable 11-to-1; the French had 760,000 men, the Algerians had 65,000. The French very effectively sealed off the Algerian-Tunisian border, and by 1962 had whittled down the guerrillas from 65,000 to 7,000. But the French were winning at the expense of being the second-most-hated country in the world, after South Africa, in the United Nations. They were giving the whole Western alliance a black name.2 At what price were the French winning? Well, 760,000 men out of the about 1 million men of the French armed forces were tied down in Algeria. It cost 3 million dollars a day for eight years, or $12 billion in French money. No American aid was involved. The "price" also included two mutinies of the French Army and one overthrow of the civilian government. At that price the French were winning the war in Algeria, militarily. The fact was that the military victory was totally meaningless. This is where the word "grandeur" applies to President de Gaulle: he was capable of seeing through the trees of military victory to a forest of political defeat and he chose to settle the Algerian insurgency by other means.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

bewbies posted:

That was the case with all upper class English divorces in the 1930s. That said, the upper class was split in opinion on Wallis Simpson.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What, half hated her for being divorced, the other half hated her for being American?

BTW Meghan Markle's family tree has some serious titled bona fides on her English side.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

zoux posted:

What, half hated her for being divorced, the other half hated her for being American?

BTW Meghan Markle's family tree has some serious titled bona fides on her English side.

There definitely seems to be something coloring opinions.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

xthetenth posted:

There definitely seems to be something coloring opinions.

Yeah, this here probably explains it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wasn't Wallis Simpson a Nazi?

Huh, I wouldn't have guessed Markle was mixed race unless I saw the headlines on interracial marriage. Probably not a Nazi, then, which is a relief.
I was confused at first, looking at the picture and wondering if it's some old-timey discrimination against like the Italians or something.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

Research compiled in 1997 by historians including Markle's great-uncle, Mike Markle, revealed that her paternal great-great-great-grandmother was New Hampshire landowner Mary Hussey Smith (1823–1908), a descendant of nobleman John Hussey, 1st Baron Hussey of Sleaford, who was beheaded in 1537 at the order of King Henry VIII. Through Lord Hussey, Markle is a descendant of King John. Markle is also a descendant of Captain Christopher Hussey, Esquire (d.1686) who was appointed in 1679 by King Charles II to govern the Royal Province of Hampton, New Hampshire. He was a Founding Father of Nantucket.

Markle is a distant relation of Prince Harry. Their common ancestors are Elizabeth Bowes (1505–c.1572) and her husband, Richard Bowes, son of Sir Ralph Bowes of Streatlam Castle and High Sheriff of County Durham—ancestors of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother (née Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon).

Markle's maternal great-great-great grandfather was a slave on Georgia plantations before being emancipated with the abolition of slavery in 1865.
Love that contrast.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Huh, I wouldn't have guessed Markle was mixed race unless I saw the headlines on interracial marriage. Probably not a Nazi, then, which is a relief.
I was confused at first, looking at the picture and wondering if it's some old-timey discrimination against like the Italians or something.

You know plenty of American white supremacists have at least one black ancestor from the 18th or 19th century for some unknowable reason, right? Ancestry is no guarantee. Not to imply that this means she is a Nazi, of course.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Harry's the nazi

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Rockopolis posted:

Yeah, I had to look at Wikipedia to find out, I had no idea. Though to be fair I had no idea who she was yesterday, either.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Race is an extension of class, of course Harry would get more bothered seeing same curry shop in London than someone with 1/64 African ancestry.

At this point, everyone in the English royal family outside the Queen herself comes off as complete scum.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Here's a hot take, cut off the heads of all the "royals" like they should've a hundred years ago so I don't have to read about a bunch of inbred do nothing's and their tabloid escapades written by a bunch of chumps who think this is still the age of Victoria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

At this point, everyone in the English royal family outside the Queen herself comes off as complete scum.

Why do you make an exception for the Queen?