Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Not China but still "welcome to East Asia"

https://twitter.com/TheKoreaHerald/status/957531030306500608

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Ever-vigilant!

https://my.mixtape.moe/slpmqg.mp4

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

GotLag posted:

Paywalled

The Internet Is Filling Up Because Indians Are Sending Millions of ‘Good Morning!’ Texts

The country, newly online, has become obsessed with sending cheery greetings from smartphones, causing head scratching in Silicon Valley

By Newley Purnell Jan. 22, 2018 11:54 a.m. ET

Google researchers in Silicon Valley were trying to figure out why so many smartphones were freezing up half a world away. One in three smartphone users in India run out of space on their phones daily.

The answer? Two words. “Good Morning!”

The glitch, Google discovered, was an overabundance of sun-dappled flowers, adorable toddlers, birds and sunsets sent along with a cheery message.

Millions of Indians are getting online for the first time—and they are filling up the internet. Many like nothing better than to begin the day by sending greetings from their phones. Starting before sunrise and reaching a crescendo before 8 a.m., internet newbies post millions of good-morning images to friends, family and strangers.

All that good cheer is driving a 10-fold increase in the number of Google searches for “Good Morning images” over the past five years. Pinterest, the San Francisco visual-search platform, added a new section to display images with quotes. It saw a ninefold increase over the past year in the number of people in India downloading such pictures.

Facebook Inc.’s WhatsApp messaging service—which has 200 million monthly active users in India, making the country its biggest market—added a status message last year so users could say good morning to all of their contacts at once.

Desh Raj Sharma, 71 years old, recently started using a smartphone. At around 6 a.m. every day he searches for and sends good-morning images to more than 50 friends and family using WhatsApp.

In one recent dispatch, a toddler sporting a fedora and holding his hand over his chest says, “Our heart is the only thing in the world that works without any rest. So keep it happy, whether it is yours or your dear one’s. Good Morning.”

In another, an image of Krishna, the Hindu god of love, is paired with the words “Good Morning. Silent prayers often reach God faster, because they are not bound by the weight of words."

“These WhatsApp messages are really my thoughts put into words," said Mr. Sharma.

Perhaps India’s most famous morning-message enthusiast is Prime Minister Narendra Modi. He gets up at 5 a.m. to practice yoga and is known to fire off good-morning messages as the sun is rising. Last year, he admonished a group of lawmakers for not responding to his greetings.

Bonding with large groups through work, school, family and friend circles is important for Indians. This is one reason wedding celebrations often involve hundreds if not thousands of guests. That tendency has been given new fuel in the form of affordable smartphones and wireless broadband.

Some complain all these greetings come too early, are too cheery and too likely to freeze their low-cost, low-memory phones. To deal with the annoying morning cheer, some leave message groups or refuse to download the images.

Mr. Sharma’s niece, 24-year-old Prerna Sharma, says she respects her uncle and is glad he is excited about technology—but she has had enough from him and her other relatives who send morning messages every day.

“They’ll call you and say, ‘did you see that good morning?’ ” she said, and she doesn’t know what to say because she rarely reads them. “Most of the time my notifications are on mute.”

Popular Indian comedy group “All India Bakchod” addressed the issue in an October skit. A bedraggled man plays the role of WhatsApp, driven to exhaustion by a demanding mother who orders him to deliver morning messages to friends and family who ignore the messenger.

When Google researchers peeked into Indian consumers’ phones, they found thousands of “good morning” images gumming up their storage. One in three smartphone users in India run out of space daily, according to a survey by data-storage firm Western Digital Corp. , compared with one in 10 in the U.S.

Google’s solution: a new app called Files Go that highlights files for possible deletion—with a special feature to search out and delete all good-morning messages at once.

The company used its giant image database and artificial-intelligence tools to train the app to weed out good-morning messages. The key to spotting them was looking for a certain size and type of image file, said Josh Woodward, the Google product manager in Mountain View, Calif., who led the effort.

“We were trying to deconstruct what is the DNA of a good morning message for months,” he said. “It’s been a lot of hard work to get it right." Early versions were picking out photos of children wearing T-shirts with words on them.

Google unveiled the app in December in New Delhi. The morning-message deleting function prompted the crowd of media and government officials to break out in applause.

The app has more than 10 million downloads so far, with more users in India than any other country. It has cleared up on average more than 1 gigabyte of data per user, Google said.

Kanwarjot Singh, 31, tapped into the good-morning craze with his website, WishGoodMorning.com, which he launched in 2015. Hundreds of thousands of people download his images. Categories include special messages for siblings, boyfriends and girlfriends and bosses.

One recent message shows a golden sunset and the phrase, “We permit limitations to limit us, instead of limiting our limitations.” Another, showing a single red rose, says, “Good morning to my life’s rose. Your fragrance makes all of life’s thorns worth tolerating.”

Mr. Singh is a morning-message maniac himself. Before getting out of bed, he spends as long as 45 minutes on his smartphone responding to the many messages he has already received. Then he dispatches his own cheery notes to friends and relatives. “I feel happy people are remembering me," he said.

On the first morning of the new year, he found the perfect image. It showed mountain peaks and a rising sun, signaling the dawn of 2018.

WhatsApp says more than 20 billion New Year’s messages were sent in India, a record, and more than any other country.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

I start every day by checking out the hashtags #shoots and #arrow

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://my.mixtape.moe/gjpntb.mp4

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Lol

That reminds me of when I was a kid and went to the airport with my dad to pick up my brother. I had a stuffed TMNT Raphael with me. When we got to the x-ray machine my dad said “Put him in” and I thought he was talking to my other brother, telling him to put me on the conveyor belt. Of course I freaked out and bawled until he explained he meant Raphael.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

those things are strong enough to be risky for a kid right

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

underage at the vape shop posted:

Well it's Chinese so who knows, but generally speaking absolutely not

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nah, it shouldn't be any worse than getting a medical xray. Like you wouldn't want to buy the kid his own to ride through at home but he's probably getting more xrays from a longer plane trip.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

I looked up the model number for the scanner and it's supposed to give off 1.14 μSv per inspection. That's not very much—a dental x-ray is about 5 to 10 μSv for a set. However, like Darkest Auer said above, there's the question of what the scanner actually emits, if it is even tested at all. :tinfoil:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

big time bisexual posted:

I looked up the model number for the scanner and it's supposed to give off 1.14 μSv per inspection. That's not very much—a dental x-ray is about 5 to 10 μSv for a set. However, like Darkest Auer said above, there's the question of what the scanner actually emits, if it is even tested at all. :tinfoil:

That’s balanced by the chance that the scanner does nothing at all, and the guard is watching soap operas back there.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

That’s balanced by the chance that the scanner does nothing at all, and the guard is watching soap operas back there.

No china, but once as the only non-Ecuadorian crossing over from Peru I had to get off the bus, put my poo poo on an x-ray conveyor belt, walk through a metal detector, *beep!* grab my poo poo and leave. There wasn't a single person in the customs room, nor was there anyone to declare anything. Last place I expected an honor system.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

No china, but once as the only non-Ecuadorian crossing over from Peru I had to get off the bus, put my poo poo on an x-ray conveyor belt, walk through a metal detector, *beep!* grab my poo poo and leave. There wasn't a single person in the customs room, nor was there anyone to declare anything. Last place I expected an honor system.

I wonder if that’s “we don’t care,” or, “we can’t afford to pay staff.”

Any news of the cancer girl who was foregoing actual, potentially useful treatments in favor of TCM nonsense?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Any news of the cancer girl who was foregoing actual, potentially useful treatments in favor of TCM nonsense?

Way to misgender Steve Jobs, guy.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Which one? Not doing real treatment in favor of doing TCM is kind of China's style, and gift to the world.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

WarpedNaba posted:

Way to misgender Steve Jobs, guy.

Steve Jobs had pancreatic cancer, which is invariably fatal, so it didn't really matter what he did.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

yaffle posted:

Steve Jobs had pancreatic cancer, which is invariably fatal, so it didn't really matter what he did.

He actually had the super rare type of pancreatic cancer (neuroendocrine) that is easy to treat through surgery with a very high survival rate. He sat on that diagnosis for 9 months of attempts to cure it through organic juice therapy before getting it operated on.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 29, 2018

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

yaffle posted:

Job's apparently had a rarer form of pancreatic cancer that was much more survivable had he undergone surgery early on and not use alternative treatments

http://gawker.com/5849543/harvard-cancer-expert-steve-jobs-probably-doomed-himself-with-alternative-medicine

quote:

The condition might have been nipped in the bud if Jobs had acted right away. Jobs's cancer manifest in neuroendocrine tumors, which are typically far less lethal than the "pancreatic adenocarcinoma" that make up 95 percent of pancreatic cancer cases. [Harvard Medical School researcher Ramzi Amri] said neuroendocrine tumors are so "mild" that...

quote:

"In my series of patients, for many subtypes, the survival rate was as high as 100% over a decade... As many as 10% of autopsied persons in the general population have been reported to have one of these without ever having had any symptoms during their life. Up to 30% of detected GEP-NETs are so well differentiated they're strictly not cancers."

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Bajaj posted:

Which one? Not doing real treatment in favor of doing TCM is kind of China's style, and gift to the world.

You told stories about one in particular, who I think was a friend of yours from WeChat. I think you had a falling out with her over it, and stopped talking to her.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Outrail posted:

That's pretty China. The subway security check (there's a subway security check lmao) has a metal detector that naturally goes off for literally every single person. Nobody cares.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/tepingchen/status/957875790456279040

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Double-plus secret ancient

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Find '5000' Replace '6000'

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

FB group post: Hello! I and my husband arrived in Chengdu 1 month ago, and I would like to know opportunities about volunteer actions in this city. Do you know foundation that receive register for this?

Chinese Reply: you want to be volunteer?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
in Chengdu you should see pandas

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

FB group post: Hello! I and my husband arrived in Chengdu 1 month ago, and I would like to know opportunities about volunteer actions in this city. Do you know foundation that receive register for this?

Bless, good to see it's the same as always.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Grand Fromage posted:

can you make a twitter account that just posts screenshots of these?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

angel opportunity posted:

can you make a twitter account that just posts screenshots of these?

Please

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Although IIRC the Chengdu FB groups are pretty slow. Maybe a pan-China one would be better.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Although IIRC the Chengdu FB groups are pretty slow. Maybe a pan-China one would be better.
Greater East Asian Co-Reponsperity Sphere

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
China pulls a Moscow embassy trick:

https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2018/01/239343/african-union-china-spies-addis-ababa/

quote:

In 2012, the Chinese government “graciously offered” African States a gift and constructed the African Union’s headquarters in Addis Ababa. The act of soft diplomacy proved to be a rather self-serving maneuver to spy on the activities and discussions being conducted by leaders of the exclusive continental group.

In Addis Ababa, ministers and heads of states meet twice a year to discuss major continental issues. While strict security measures give the impression that that building is closely monitored and secured, an unseen security threat was present from 2012 until 2017. The threat was from none other than those who built the headquarters: the Chinese. An investigation conducted by “Le Monde Afrique” exposed Chinese espionage efforts.

According to the report, for five years, between midnight and 2 a.m., computer servers were reaching a peak in data transfer activity. A computer scientist noticed the oddity of the situation. The organization’s technical staff later discovered that the AU servers were all connected to servers located in Shanghai.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What does China think of civilisationslike Australian Aboriginals who have 50 000 years of history? Potentially 80-125 000?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How many walls you can totally see from space did their unbroken unified civilization state produce?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

How many walls you can totally see from space did their unbroken unified civilization state produce?

Does Uluru count?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Are you under the impression that aboriginal people made Uluru?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ekuNNN posted:

Are you under the impression that aboriginal people made Uluru?

no of course not, but they've been at the site forever

I more mean, how does China react to other cultures being around much much longer than their 5000 years. For the aboriginals, their civilisations only got broken yesterday relative to how long their history is.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 30, 2018

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

What does China think of civilisationslike Australian Aboriginals who have 50 000 years of history? Potentially 80-125 000?

Yes they have been around a long time but we are talking about human civilization and china has 5000 years of civilization

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

no of course not, but they've been at the site forever

I more mean, how does China react to other cultures being around much much longer than their 5000 years. For the aboriginals, their civilisations only got broken yesterday relative to how long their history is.

I can tell you about what a lot of mainland chinese tour groups think of my local first nations people, which is not much. They view them like europeans did a century ago, they're primitive savages that haven't built any great cities or walls or invented most of the world's inventions. They've made some quaint primitive art and it's interesting how they maybe came over some ancient land-bridge from china, but they're not really a proper civilization like China.

Chinese chauvinism and pride over "5000 years!" isn't at all intellectually honest first of all, it's China's version of exceptionalism, and it's not really about "culture" so much as their concept of a "civilization". Rome was short lived due to internal civil wars and barbarian raids unlike eternal China, but it's respected as a real ancient civilization. Canadian first-nations and australian aboriginals are "pre civilized", they don't have 5000 years, they don't have any years, they're just "natives". It's pure "chinese exceptionalism" just like america's national myths about being the most freest country in the world that invented liberty, it's not about historical facts it's just a comforting source of national pride.

It's like asking "How do americans react to other cultures establishing forms of democracy before the US even existed?" they don't react because they don't give a poo poo. America is exceptional and the most free, end of story. China is the oldest unbroken civilization-state, end of story.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

simplefish posted:

Yes they have been around a long time but we are talking about human civilization and china has 5000 years of civilization

The aboriginals didn't have great walls or castles but they still had civilisation with clearly defined borders, histories and a deep understanding of the Australian ecosystem. A lot of it was lost because the Europeans labelled them flora and fauna, and tried to wipe them all out. Unless that's your point, the Chinese deny their existence. Thought such a nationalistic people would be very offended in a funny way when they find out something they are so proud of is a drop in the bucket compared to elsewhere.

E:

Baronjutter posted:

It's like asking "How do americans react to other cultures establishing forms of democracy before the US even existed?" they don't react because they don't give a poo poo. America is exceptional and the most free, end of story. China is the oldest unbroken civilization-state, end of story.

I was hoping it'd be like the Taiwan situaion.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Unless that's your point,

Yes

• Locked thread