Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

No Wave posted:

It was always my favorite. Plus it looks amazing.

Cool Towers of Doom Fact:

Each of the six buildings are named areas like "the mill or "the graveyard" or "the mine"

The bottom right one is the graveyard, it is full of gravestones and even a mausoleum.

It also has a small hill. If you look at the hill while your hero is dead, there is a WoW Spirit Healer floating at the top of the hill. You can't see it while you are alive.

Other map facts:

Spider Queen has some Indiana Jones type guy appear in the top lane, he also appears at the core at match end??? Maybe he is a guy from WoW I don't know someone told me that

On the punisher map, there are vases around the map you can break by casting damage skills towards them. Sometimes a glowing gold (Diablo unique) item will fall out. If that happens, a gold goblin will appear out of a portal near the core when the match ends. I know you can break the vases and I know sometimes a glowy item falls out and I know sometimes a gold goblin appears at the core when a match ends, maybe this is true? Have not tested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Harrison Jones is wow-guy. There's a gem between blue's keep and town you can click on to summon him. He also appears on Sky Temple if you click the well beneath the boss enough times.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Another map fact: There's the sharks on blackhearts bay - if you click on them enough they fall into the water.

Issakhar
Sep 10, 2009

There's sharks in Sky Temple too!

In the aqueducts above the top lane, every now and then a swimmer pops up and it is being chased then eaten by a shark.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
There's fighting holograms on one of the Starcraft maps. There's an arcade in the top left of one of those maps. Click the right arcade cabinet a few times to see the holograms.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dodgeball posted:

There's fighting holograms on one of the Starcraft maps. There's an arcade in the top left of one of those maps. Click the right arcade cabinet a few times to see the holograms.

Ooooh, I didn't know this one. Braxis Holdout is the name of the map specifically.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

of the 5 qm games i played tonight, 4 were me and 4 randos vs full 5 stacks. and a different 5 stack each time too.

this game sucks, blizzard sucks, uninstall and dont give blizzard your money.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
You do know that it's a free to play game, right?
I was happy with the last patch, I gave them :10bux: for jewels I haven't even used.
I think that means in the last year, I've given them ten dollars for about 50 hours of playtime.
Not bad IMO

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It certainly isn’t very sporting of people to play with their friends.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
is there a way to see if the opposing team is a 5-stack at any point during or after a game? feel like ive been getting rolled by premade comps all night

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

After the game, you can mouse over a username and it'll say if they're in a party or not. You used to be able to see who was in what party loading in, but apparently enough people were abandoning matches over it before the game even loaded that they removed that feature.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Love the logic, too.

Hey, this ruins games so consistently that people are dropping before the game even starts, what shall we do?

Hide it from them, it’s the kids who are wrong.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shockeh posted:

Love the logic, too.

Hey, this ruins games so consistently that people are dropping before the game even starts, what shall we do?

Hide it from them, it’s the kids who are wrong.

As shocking as this might be, Blizzard was right.

Playing with your friends is cool.

People are also whiny babies seeking out any excuse that's isn't "I didn't play well enough".

So, you remove the excuse and let people play with their friends.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Toshimo posted:

As shocking as this might be, Blizzard was right.

Playing with your friends is cool.

People are also whiny babies seeking out any excuse that's isn't "I didn't play well enough".

So, you remove the excuse and let people play with their friends.

Agreed. As frustrating as it is to get rolled by five stacks, there really isn't any benefit in reminding people that solo players are generally at a disadvantage.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

If you like the game, but don't like going up against premades, just do what I do and play vs AI. Laugh as you devastate AI foes, dunk on them as hard as possible with or without your friends. Feels good man

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

If you like the game, but don't like going up against premades, just do what I do and play vs AI. Laugh as you devastate AI foes, dunk on them as hard as possible with or without your friends. Feels good man

Then laugh even harder when you run into a badass who talks poo poo about the AI or trash talks his teammates.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Then laugh even harder when you run into a badass who talks poo poo about the AI or trash talks his teammates.

talking poo poo to your teammates in a comp-stomp is one of life's greatest pleasures.

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

i once had an AI game where there was a leoric who just fed over and over on towers of doom. as a ktz, i rolled with it and urged him to keep going in undeath solidarity. just some good fun leoric and ktz RP with some rando.

even with his like 20+ deaths the ai was no big deal.

probably the best hots game ive ever played tbh

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

theyre good for quickly knockin out the dailies with little to no stress, and/or playin weird builds for funsies too

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Going into QM with chat off is its own AI game in a way

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

When I play AI I complain about them like they’re real. Really triggers pubbies.

Or troll the ai on your own team. loving trash Guldan!!!

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
5 stacks in QM should be exclusively matched into other 5 stacks. It’s just miserably unfair getting rolled over by a constructed comp with a random team. If you wanna play with a full team on comms play storm league.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lawdog69 posted:

5 stacks in QM should be exclusively matched into other 5 stacks. It’s just miserably unfair getting rolled over by a constructed comp with a random team. If you wanna play with a full team on comms play storm league.

There's no way the people in 5 stacks continue to play when it's 10+ minutes to get a queue. The game doesn't have the playerbase to support that.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
It really just depends. I have gone against some 5 stacks that try to do crazy fun things like throws to stitch who then get hooked, gorged, and teleported to the other teams core. I can laugh at stuff like that. I can also laugh at 5 stacks who are like 4 healers and Gazlowe.

However, it is really frustrating when you go against a try hard 5 stack that hell even has some smurfs on it so you are stuck with a true newbie and they are just rolling you while bstepping and not ending.

It seems to be about 50/50 on what you go against.

I think the plus/minus 1 rule that they use to enforce I thought worked well. If you are a 5 stack you at least have to go against a 4 stack, etc... If you are a 5 stack you should be able to wait a bit more with your buds.

Also, why in the world don't mobas have the waiting room where you could train like they do in fighters or overwatch. It would be crazy fun to just be put in a death match while waiting.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The group I regularly play with tries to drag out aram matches as long as possible and we’re super toxic.

Of course we get wiped a lot and lose level 30 matches that we had in the bag for like 20 minutes. But eh that’s the price of a good time

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

ToxicToast posted:

It really just depends. I have gone against some 5 stacks that try to do crazy fun things like throws to stitch who then get hooked, gorged, and teleported to the other teams core.

You bastard. I got rolled to this for most of a game a few weeks ago. Medivh + Stitches + Garrosh combo doing mostly that.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Toshimo posted:

There's no way the people in 5 stacks continue to play when it's 10+ minutes to get a queue. The game doesn't have the playerbase to support that.

The separating groups and individuals was one of the changes that killed SMNC (following up by splitting the queues further with a new game mode finished it off).

You can only really fix (sort of) this problem with a larger playerbase and a lot of time spent on your matchmaking, and HOTS is absolutely not getting either of those things at this point.

minema
May 31, 2011
I play exclusively in a 5-stack but we're very bad and argue amongst ourselves regularly so it's not much of an advantage.

We recently threw a game because while doing objective we discovered the toy train mount multiple people thing and got carried away.

We've tried storm league but we have a huge disparity in skill level in the team and just get completely wiped

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Storm League has no players so you probably got matched way out the boundaries

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Theswarms posted:

The separating groups and individuals was one of the changes that killed SMNC (following up by splitting the queues further with a new game mode finished it off).

You can only really fix (sort of) this problem with a larger playerbase and a lot of time spent on your matchmaking, and HOTS is absolutely not getting either of those things at this point.

drat I miss SMNC. Though iirc the "5 person teams get their own queue" wasn't that big a deal (probably sucked rear end if you had 4 friends to play the game with) but the subsequent "2 and 3 person teams have their own queue separate from solo queue" that just murdered anyone's chances of getting a game ever.

Then yeah the fix being another shittier game mode (that you could join mid-game so there was no wait time) made playing the normal mode straight up impossible

All of this ignoring the part where they turned the game into a bitcoin miner but that happened after the game was already essentially dead so it's really just a funny footnote

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Latest patch finally gives Zagara real level 20 talents among some other changes. Pack Instinct looks good for focusing down heroes, Brood Mother better for more sustained damage. After taking the extended creep talent for so long it will be nice to have something with a more direct impact on the game.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Woo Morales changes/buffs. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy her more again. Been a fun few games so far.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mind over Matter posted:

Woo Morales changes/buffs. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy her more again. Been a fun few games so far.

Yeah, this patch is good, OP.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
How does that new Monk Talent work if you didn't pick Insight at level 1? Do you still get half the CDR on hit?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

How does that new Monk Talent work if you didn't pick Insight at level 1? Do you still get half the CDR on hit?

You get it with the quest completed, so you get half the mana and half the CDR.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Okay that is pretty cool then, don't know if its worth a level 20 talent though

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Wow those Zagara changes

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

baneling build zagara is 100% my loving jam and will be my main squeeze for the foreseeable future

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Baneling Zagara was always the one true path, namaste

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

baneling build was like. the hardest of the hard modes. it was fun but it just didn't have the numbers, at all

now it does. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Better range and damage than Sgt. hammer + summons + creep speed boost