Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Krispy Kareem posted:

Has anyone gotten their MacBook battery replaced under AppleCare? I've got an appointment on Friday as AppleCare expires this month and my laptop battery is showing 75% with 423 cycles. From what I'm reading anything below 80% and 1000 cycles is supposed to warrant a replacement.

I feel a little silly doing this over 5%, but in my experience laptop batteries start dying after about 3 years and even brand new this model had only about 5 hours of power.

If it fails their diagnostics, they'll fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

If it fails their diagnostics, they'll fix it.

I was warned to back everything up because they erase the hard drive. I regularly back up everything, but doing a complete restore would be a major hassle. Is that just a cover-your-rear end in case something catastrophic happens?

I mean it's a battery. It shouldn't impact the hard drive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

I was warned to back everything up because they erase the hard drive. I regularly back up everything, but doing a complete restore would be a major hassle. Is that just a cover-your-rear end in case something catastrophic happens?

Always plan for the worst.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It would be interesting if NVidia would release some stats on the web driver / Hackintosh population.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's a "cover their rear end" thing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

~Coxy posted:

It would be interesting if NVidia would release some stats on the web driver / Hackintosh population.

Honestly nVidia's wicked drivers are one of the biggest things that continues to make hackintosh a viable platform for me.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

All this talk about an OLED Bar or OLED Keys is making me rage. There's no way in hell Apple would dare do such a thing and all I really care for is a modern Macbook. Give me USB 3.1c, Thunderbolt 3 (eGPU), an updated display and I'm happy.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I bought a 2015 rMBP last around September from the refurb store but I completely forgot about Applecare. Can I still get it and is it worth it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

They'll check everything, not just the battery. So if the find out a faulty mainboard is causing the battery to run down then they'll need to swap the board and reinstall.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Neighbor of mine just bought a foreclosure house and there was a Mac Mini in the place. I told him I'd sell it for him but trying to determine a price on it.

It's a Late 2014 Mac Mini
1.4 Processor
16 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 5000
Fusion 1TB Harddrive
128GB SSD (I think)

So from what I can gather, it was the base model that has had the ram and drive upgraded is that correct? What do you think a fair price is for it? $300-$350?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

track day bro! posted:

I bought a 2015 rMBP last around September from the refurb store but I completely forgot about Applecare. Can I still get it and is it worth it?

Depends. Do you have renters/homeowners insurance policy that covers property damage and equipment failure? Did you buy it with a credit card that also increases the warranty? You might want to check with your insurers and your creditors before buying AppleCare. Regardless, AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage, but in my experience I would say "meh". AppleCare has saved my rear end once, where a ~2k repair turned into $0 (old model MBP had total failure). I guess there were other times when I used it for minor defects that showed up over time, but I haven't bought it since, and have relied on third-party insurance like renters/homeowners and credit card warranty extension.

I used to tell people that for portables, AppleCare is a worthwhile purchase, but with the insurance products and credit products people have these days, I'm not 100% sure anymore, which is why I don't buy it. Remember, AppleCare on portables doesn't cover accidental damage, and the nature of modern hardware means "if it doesn't fail right away, it probably won't fail for a long time". The exception was the GPU desoldering debacle but they did launch a warranty extension program for that, so... In my opinion, no, I wouldn't buy AppleCare, but I'm just some idiot on the Internet, so weigh your options if you want coverage.

That being said, you have a year to buy it, so you have until your purchase date in September to decide.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Scrapez posted:

Neighbor of mine just bought a foreclosure house and there was a Mac Mini in the place. I told him I'd sell it for him but trying to determine a price on it.

It's a Late 2014 Mac Mini
1.4 Processor
16 GB Ram
Intel HD Graphics 5000
Fusion 1TB Harddrive
128GB SSD (I think)

So from what I can gather, it was the base model that has had the ram and drive upgraded is that correct? What do you think a fair price is for it? $300-$350?
A new one in that config is $1049 :stare:

Looking on eBay the base configuration (4GB, 500GB platter drive) sells in the $350 range. I'd probably just try around half of new price, like $500-600.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

japtor posted:

A new one in that config is $1049 :stare:

Looking on eBay the base configuration (4GB, 500GB platter drive) sells in the $350 range. I'd probably just try around half of new price, like $500-600.

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure if this is the right place to ask but this thing appears to have a few purchased programs installed: GarageBand, iMovie, Keynote, Numbers and Pages. How does that work with selling to a new user?

I'm a windows person so I'm not familiar with how the Apple App Store works. Since they were purchased by the previous user on this mac mini, do they just transfer to the new owners Apple ID? or how do they update them in the future?

Edit: I posted the software questions in the software thread.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 11, 2016

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Those all come with OS X

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

track day bro! posted:

Yes, you have literally 365 days from the day of purchase to easily add AppleCare yourself, and even if it goes a bit past, if you buy the package, you can call the support number and tell them you forgot and they'll add it. You don't want to push your luck too much but up to a week or two late should still see them covering you.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Buy Macs with American Express you get a two year warranty instead of just one.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

SourKraut posted:

I built a Hackintosh a few years back but between major updates causing issues, miscellaneous driver issues, etc, I gave up and went back to my Hackintosh for Windows only. Since I acquired a 2009 Mac Pro recently though I upgraded it quite a bit and it's actually a good gaming system, and switch between Bootcamp and OS X as desired.

It'd be nice to find a 2012 and/or hope maybe the Trash Can will get better GPUs, although I'd still miss just how upgradable the classic Mac Pro is.

Yeah I did the same thing and it was an exercise in frustration. Now I just RDP into the PC from my Macbook or iPad :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think my ideal would be a dual native (hardware passthrough) VM setup but I figure that's probably more of a pain to set up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Eh, a lot of cards offer this now. AmEx has lost most of its perks advantages at this point.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
IIRC my card gives me seven years of warranty.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So you don't buy warranties then? Which card is it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

No I misread it, it's just one year.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004

MrBond posted:

That definitely doesn't seem worth it. A refurb MacBook can be had for $929, or an 11" air refurb for $759. 8ender mentions trying to clean it up yourself - that seems like the only worthwhile option.

Good news for me - the independent place was able to get essentially the entire computer repaired under AppleCare for their diagnostic fee of $80. All I need now is a Magsafe 2 charger and I'll be good to go for the next while.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mu Zeta posted:

Buy with a citi card and get 3 instead of 1, even some no annual fee ones.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EuphrosyneD posted:

All I need now is a Magsafe 2 charger and I'll be good to go for the next while.

Will a 45w model work? If so, there's a guy in SA Mart selling one. I bought it but I'm stupid and realized just after I sent payment that I'm a dummy and I needed the MagSafe 1 instead. I

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can get a MagSafe 1 to 2 adapter for about $15 😎😎😎

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah these are pretty awesome, the Magsafe 2 magnet is weak as poo poo and detaches if you breathe on it, the Magsafe 1-2 adapter magnet is really strong. I bought it because I wanted to use my old power brick and hated the perpendicular design of the Magsafe 2, but this was an unexpected benefit.

P.S. I bought my adapter like, 2 years ago, so YMMV.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I got one to use with my Thunderbolt Display and I was also able to give my GF one of my spare MagSafe 1 chargers and buy an adapter when she lost her MagSafe 2 one, saved about €80.

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
I have an 2015 Macbook Air. I came home the other night and there is a big crack in the screen under the glass. I haven't dropped it or anything and it literally stays under my bed while I'm not at home. I took it to the Apple Store and the guy there said I dropped it or something and that it wouldn't be covered under warranty. They quoted me ~$600 to fix, but gently caress that. If I were to raise a big enough stink at the store would they end up covering it? If not is it easy enough/cheap to find a lcd screen to repair this myself?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Show me a picture of the LCD fracture

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A bunch of places online do it for $300

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Show me a picture of the LCD fracture

this is what it looks like when it's on.

is it possible I did something to gently caress it up a while ago, but it didn't immediately show? I definitely didn't drop it recently.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

idontcare posted:

this is what it looks like when it's on.

is it possible I did something to gently caress it up a while ago, but it didn't immediately show? I definitely didn't drop it recently.

Something hit it. You can see the impact point. The part you see cracks radiating from is where the initial break was.

Or something in a bag acted as a fulcrum and the MBA flexed around it. Not enough to damage the case, but enough to shatter the LCD.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 14, 2016

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

That's not looking so healthy :(

And the internet is saying to not expect anything at the upcoming event. Bah.

edit: to add some substance to my whinge - waiting for a new portable and a new desktop for the studio. Ideally a Mac Pro, but at this point, I don't even know if that's a possibility.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 14, 2016

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Yeast posted:

That's not looking so healthy :(

And the internet is saying to not expect anything at the upcoming event. Bah.

Current rumor is October. Gonna be a long September.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

Something hit it. You can see the impact point. The part you see cracks radiating from is where the initial break was.

Or something in a bag acted as a fulcrum and the MBA flexed around it. Not enough to damage the case, but enough to shatter the LCD.

He's right.

Wanted to see because if it's a single hairline crack with no point of impact and no damage to the clamshell it's covered. Something impacted it. Sorry dude. It's damage done from something.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember when someone said they'd buy my MacBook, just for me to open it and see the exact same thing. I think I stepped on it in the night, luckily the old screens were about $120 and a friend fitted it for a pizza so I didn't lose out too much.

But yeah, it's not just done that by itself and you're gonna have to suck it up or buy a monitor.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

flosofl posted:

Or possibly even the bed frame itself as it flexed and sagged when human weight was added?

I've shattered a poorly-placed under-bed storage box that way before.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I had a screen do that after it sat in -30C in my car and I brought it inside. Opened it up and watched it shatter. Convincing Apple that it wasn't from a drop was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Quantum of Phallus posted:

About the only time these are useless are if you're an AASP or Fruit Stand tech testing a laptop with a MagSafe 2 port and you don't have a MagSafe 2 adapter.

Running the Battery / Adapter Diagnostic on an ASD server on a MagSafe 2 laptop with a MagSafe 1 attached via a MagSafe 1-2 adapter gives you an error that's essentially Apple saying 'LOL what are you doing buy a MagSafe 2 adaptor you cheap butthead'