Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Have you guys seen this thing?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620669801/synek-any-beer-ever-made-fresh-on-your-counter

It's basically a keurig for beer.

They've got brewers on board to offer fills into their proprietary bag system that snaps into the unit. They say the bags are sealed and won't lose carbonation like a growler so they're supposedly viable for 30+ days. You can also detach a bag and swap it out for another one without losing carbonation.

It sounds interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I want you all to eat your hearts out.

http://www.pittsburghbeerfest.com/#!brewery-list-/cfug

The beer list for the beerfest this Friday and Saturday.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

VendaGoat posted:

YOU HAD ME AT ABITA.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That's boring as gently caress. The handful of brewers that made me even remotely excited are all bringing boring poo poo. My heart is firmly uneaten.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 16, 2014

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
all the yuengling black and tan you can drink

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

VendaGoat posted:

no Iron City?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

no Iron City?

Man, even Pittsburgh has gone all hipster-beer-drinkin'...

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Some real :effort: entries there. Maybe they'll add some homebrew, cover all their bases.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Mmmmmmmmm Beer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620669801/synek-any-beer-ever-made-fresh-on-your-counter

They've got brewers on board to offer fills into their proprietary bag system that snaps into the unit. They say the bags are sealed and won't lose carbonation like a growler so they're supposedly viable for 30+ days. You can also detach a bag and swap it out for another one without losing carbonation.

It sounds interesting.

I saw this thing at the AHA's conference in GR last month. They didn't even have a working version of it to demo, and the guy made me guess what the sale price would be instead of just advertising it.

Stupid salesmen aside, for $399 I could buy 6 Growler Savers (with money left to spare) and then put the whole thing into my dedicated beer fridge that I already own. When I asked them what the cleaning process for the unit would be, I was told "well you can purchase some new tubing from us". You also cannot reuse the bags and they're ~$1/ea. It's gimmicky and dumb and really not green at all, just like the Keurig.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 16, 2014

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
That beer list isn't all that bad for a 2nd time festival being put on by an animal rescue group to raise money. It looks perfectly suited to target the casual base that they are probably targeting.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Philly goons Local 44 has beer camp boxes if anyone is still looking for one.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

toenut posted:

That beer list isn't all that bad for a 2nd time festival being put on by an animal rescue group to raise money. It looks perfectly suited to target the casual base that they are probably targeting.

Pretty much.

I also got the responses I thought I would. :D

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

VendaGoat posted:

Pretty much.

I also got the responses I thought I would. :D

Trap sprung... Spergy beer snobs gonna sperg.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
There are plenty of breweries I have never had anything from on that list, so it actually looks pretty good to me. Plus, you are all glossing over the free unlimited Oatmeal Yeti that's available.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
So will I get laughed out of here if I give my thoughts on Sam Adams Porch Rocker?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

So will I get laughed out of here if I give my thoughts on Sam Adams Porch Rocker?

Its ok. I never liked the finish on it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

VendaGoat posted:

Not at all. Everyone has to start somewhere.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

swickles posted:

Its ok. I never liked the finish on it.

What finish?

It's very light, thin, citrusy and would be perfect for a hot day. Not sure if it's the bottle I got, but it's also surprisingly devoid of carbonation.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

VendaGoat posted:

naw, just for being a Dogfish Head fanboy

swickles posted:

There are plenty of breweries I have never had anything from on that list, so it actually looks pretty good to me. Plus, you are all glossing over the free unlimited Oatmeal Yeti that's available.

except Oatmeal Yeti is loving gross; what a disappointing beer

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm sure other have been curious on this but at least it's straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/why-does-jester-king-not-have-reserve-society.195020/#post-2593879

quote:

I've been told by other brewers not to do a reserve society unless you are in need of an up-front cash infusion, because managing a society is a big time commitment and is akin to taking on new equity investors in the brewery in terms of communication, service, expectations, etc. I'm personally worried about having the time to manage a reserve society at the moment. There are obviously some benefits from one for our supporters. It would be great to give everyone who is interested a chance to ensure access to all our releases. But for the time being at least, it's not something we can take on.

i should provide consulting services to manage reserve societies for breweries yes... that's it...

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

It sounds interesting.

I have a feeling this is going to be a huge flop just like the Heineken mini-keg setup.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

VendaGoat posted:

It's still better than Savor :v:

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Sirotan posted:

I saw this thing at the AHA's conference in GR last month. They didn't even have a working version of it to demo, and the guy made me guess what the sale price would be instead of just advertising it.

Stupid salesmen aside, for $399 I could buy 6 Growler Savers (with money left to spare) and then put the whole thing into my dedicated beer fridge that I already own. When I asked them what the cleaning process for the unit would be, I was told "well you can purchase some new tubing from us". You also cannot reuse the bags and they're ~$1/ea. It's gimmicky and dumb and really not green at all, just like the Keurig.

Thanks, I'm gonna send this verbatim to all my relatives that keep posting this on my Facebook or emailing it to me "because you like beer."

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
So people that have the beercamp, what's your top 3-4?

I was kind of let down by the New Glarus and think it's not the best showing of what they can do.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Local had them on tap, which was dangerous and delicious. My favorite two were Yvan and There and Bock, followed closely by Maillard's Odyssey (I don't know what's happening that people have finally started producing dark beer that's tasty, but I like it).

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Has anyone tried Atramentous? It's a soured version of Three Brothers' Resolute Bourbon Barrel RIS.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

lazerwolf posted:

Philly goons Local 44 has beer camp boxes if anyone is still looking for one.

I was there earlier tonight. Almost bought one, but I'd rather split it with 1-2 extra people and do it all in one night. And a worthy uhh is being a big babby about it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I was there earlier tonight. Almost bought one, but I'd rather split it with 1-2 extra people and do it all in one night. And a worthy uhh is being a big babby about it.

:catstare:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Suddenly the animosity displayed by him, towards me makes sense. :lol:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

VendaGoat posted:

Suddenly the animosity displayed by him, towards me makes sense. :lol:

Animosity? Lol, I treat Hatful worse than that and we're friends.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Did I see one of you guys post a while back about Scratch brewing? I'm headed down to the Carbondale area this weekend with the wife and we're gonna check it out along with Big Muddy in Murphysboro. Quite excited - I tried Scratch's ginger gruit and rye ESB at a recent beerfest and they were bitchin. Can't wait to try some foraged beer brewed with deadly nightshade or some poo poo.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Has anyone had kombucha beers before? A friend of mine made a fantastic homebrew, but the guy is on another level when it comes to making sours. I keep seeing beers from these guys in Whole Foods:

http://www.unityvibrationkombucha.com/

Anyone try it and have thoughts, or do I have to take the plunge?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I've heard great things about the Unity Vibration kombuchas.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Crooked Stave basically makes a cuvee with a local kombucha brewer that's alright. Unfortunately at CS prices it's hard to justify that over just regular CS beer.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

Did I see one of you guys post a while back about Scratch brewing? I'm headed down to the Carbondale area this weekend with the wife and we're gonna check it out along with Big Muddy in Murphysboro. Quite excited - I tried Scratch's ginger gruit and rye ESB at a recent beerfest and they were bitchin. Can't wait to try some foraged beer brewed with deadly nightshade or some poo poo.

I did. I've enjoyed pretty much everything I've had from them, especially the BA apricot braggot.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Beer Camp is in CO now I guess. Picked one up for ~$24 after tax.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Killing another 4 pack of 3 way, canned 7/8. Jeez this is mindblowingly good considering how it's everywhere in the PNW. FG should just make this year round.

SD goons should go do this
http://lostabbey.com/annual-christmas-in-july-celebration-2014/

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

air- posted:

Killing another 4 pack of 3 way, canned 7/8. Jeez this is mindblowingly good considering how it's everywhere in the PNW. FG should just make this year round.

SD goons should go do this
http://lostabbey.com/annual-christmas-in-july-celebration-2014/

Dang, I need a functional car...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lodie
Feb 8, 2004
One of my friends is going to Chicago and I'm looking for beers for him to bring back for me to drink. I like pretty much everything but wheat beers (especially IPAs and sours). We're from Texas. I don't know how to link to this to where it's filled out but here is seekabrew: http://www.seekabrew.com/distro/compare.html