Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

BigglesSWE posted:

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor at 25% off is a decent price for a VERY good game. Price might drop even more in the coming days, but in any case I highly recommend it. I think it might be GOTY for me. It's just an overall solid and fun experience.

Also, first post. Might as well come out and say it.

Seventeen dollars on Nuuvem is an even better price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

BigglesSWE posted:

Also, first post. Might as well come out and say it.

Are these Garbage Dick avatars the new stupid newbie?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Slimy Hog posted:

Yes.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Wait... How do we banish games from our library? Oh wow!

Set Category > Hide this game in my library. Neat!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Spoilers!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

so hows that boycott going

I've redeemed one free key that I was promised before Steam put Hatred back up and that's it, so pretty good.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Putting my wish list on the front page, prominently displaying how discounted all those games are, was a devious move Valve.

Devious. :shepspends:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Snuffman posted:

Putting my wish list on the front page, prominently displaying how discounted all those games are, was a devious move Valve.

Devious. :shepspends:

I know.. everything's on sale.. gotta have restraint and only do daily and flash deals.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So should I get the Mordor Premium Edition? Or just the base version?

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Delusibeta posted:

:siren: During the big sales, always wait for the daily deals, community choices or flash sales. They're all the same, they won't go any lower for that particular sale. If it's the last day, though, go nuts.
There's one pretty major caveat to this rule that never seems to get mentioned anywhere: if game X in a franchise turns up as a Daily Deal on the store's front page then there's a very strong chance that games Y & Z in the franchise will also get an unadvertised Daily Deal.

Taking the first day's Daily Deals just as an example:
  • Dark Souls II is the advertised Daily Deal at 63% off ($14.79) but Dark Souls is also an unadvertised Daily Deal at 75% off ($4.99) for the same period.
  • Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes is the advertised Daily Deal at 33% off ($13.39) but Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is also an unadvertised Daily Deal at 80% ($5.99) for the same period.

Those unadvertised Daily Deals may not repeat, but if people strictly follow the "wait for the daily deal" rule and only go by what appears on the front page of the store then they're going to be missing out. Enough people seem to spot these unadvertised Daily Deals to push them into the top 20 best sellers, but I've lost count of the number of people I've seen saying "I didn't see games Y & Z go on sale!" when everything's over, simply because they didn't check for the unadvertised deal.

As always, there are exceptions. During the last Summer Sale when Skyrim went up for a Daily Deal, Oblivion and Morrowind didn't get a deeper discount at the same time (although they did in previous sales) but did later get their own deal. Also, if Far Cry 3 appeared as a Daily Deal on its own then it's unlikely that Far Cry 4 would get an equally deep discount, but then if FC4 does end up appearing as a Daily Deal itself for 33% off, then there's a strong chance that all the previous Far Crys will get a deeper discount.

TL;DR: If an advertised Daily Deal is part of a franchise, there's a strong chance other games in that franchise will be unadvertised Daily Deals.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Slimy Hog posted:

Its the hip new cool kid club my friend.

Holding out on Morder/Wolfenstein 50%+ days, there's bought to be one......right.

Edit:

VVVV Thanks for the replies. Nazi killing seems to be in my future for xmas.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 19, 2014

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sonance posted:

TL;DR: If an advertised Daily Deal is part of a franchise, there's a strong chance other games in that franchise will be unadvertised Daily Deals.

Hey yeah.

Just got Sniper Elite 1 and 2 there with full DLC for 18 euros total.
Going to be shooting off Hitler's testicle this weekend.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

Holding out on Morder/Wolfenstein 50%+ days, there's bought to be one......right.

Wolfenstein is already 50%, but it will definitely get a daily spot.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

RadicalR posted:

The consensus I got on the sale thread was to not bother. It's also much cheaper on Nuuvem right now.

Znae
Aug 13, 2009

Eviscerating that man on the operating table isn't that big a deal, just go back to medical school real quick and give it another shot.

gmq posted:

Having only a Mac available for gaming has made surviving these sales so much easier.

Deciding to beat every single game I own on steam has been my anti-drug. I think all I bought during the Thanksgiving sale was Saints Row IV DLC mega upgrade that I only "needed" costume stuff from.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

RadicalR posted:

Just the base game is plenty enough. I have the seasonpass but (to my knowledge) there's nothing in it thus far that warrants it. Sometimes it's nice to be a rich bugger and buy it all, but in all honesty, I'd say buy the full game only.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

Quoting again:

Wolfenstein is $20 here: http://www.greenmangaming.com/24-hour-winter-deals/

As well as Skyrim Legendary Edition for $13, Tomb Raider (2013) GOTY for $7.50, and Mortal Kombat Komplete for $5!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
In general you should always check Isthereanydeal.com or a similar site to be sure, even if a game is already on sale on Steam.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Yep, that's why I was asking! Nuuvem is awesome.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Oh, I forgot the most important part about Dungeon of the Endless.

One of the heroes is a Pug. http://dungeon-of-the-endless.wikia.com/wiki/Ayairi_Whairydd

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One good price I noticed on Nuuvem last night: The Banner Saga for the equivalent of about 3$. Lowest ever price.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I bought Ground Zeroes on Nuuvem last night and they ran out of keys :/

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I never know what street address to put when ordering from Nuuvem.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mung Dynasty posted:

I never know what street address to put when ordering from Nuuvem.

I put my own, there's none of that restriction like on Amazon.com for non-Americans.

They do restrict a handful of games (can't buy Shadow Warrior for like 3$), but I'm ok with that because I figure those keys might be region locked anyway.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Jordan7hm posted:

I put my own, there's none of that restriction like on Amazon.com for non-Americans.

They do restrict a handful of games (can't buy Shadow Warrior for like 3$), but I'm ok with that because I figure those keys might be region locked anyway.

I'm in South Africa and it won't let me buy Ground Zeroes... So there's definitely some kind of region control :smith:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'm in South Africa and it won't let me buy Ground Zeroes... So there's definitely some kind of region control :smith:

Use a VPN or something to buy it. The game itself isn't region locked.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Generally the game page will warn you with a big red label if a game key is region locked, but sometimes they won't let you buy it anyway. Going through a Brazilian proxy can get you around that, but that boils down to a question of money saved vs. time spent finding a good proxy.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Junkenstein posted:

Can you recommend anything? I haven't used a VPN before for this sort of thing and I'm a bit paranoid about my credit card / paypal details.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Use Hola Unblocker, you'll be fine.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yay, Hack & Slash won the first vote, as it should. Now it's just about having enough discipline to wait until the discount actually kicks in. :woop:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Is anyone having issues trying to make purchases? I've tried paying with my debit card and paypal through my work PC and I'm getting errors and the transaction's not going through. Tried it on my phone as well (on work wi-fi and on data plan alone) and nothing either.

I just want Defense Grid 2 before it goes off sale :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like 'tis the season for Activision to not renew the licenses on it's failed licensed games from the past year or so: Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse, Ice Age Continental Drift Arctic Games and The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct have been yanked from the Steam store. No big loss, but worth noting.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Kins posted:

Looks like 'tis the season for Activision to not renew the licenses on it's failed licensed games from the past year or so: Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse, Ice Age Continental Drift Arctic Games and The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct have been yanked from the Steam store. No big loss, but worth noting.
When I think of "Successful Business Moves," my go-to is always "don't have a constant passive income trickling in forever" :hurr:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Phew, good I got Family Guy + DLC from Rirse as a birthday present.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I feel like a big old turd because I really didn't like Thomas Was Alone. The platforming is not great, or even good really, and the writing and narration is uninteresting but has a British dude. I feel like everyone loves the hell out of it, so I try it out again every once in a while but it seems like it just kind of... loving blows.

It goes for cheap in sales, but I still say you ought to avoid it.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Palpek posted:

Phew, good I got Family Guy + DLC from Rirse as a birthday present.

Glad I acted on that then or we would never got a bad game review on it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Somehow I completely missed Red Faction: Guerrilla getting a full steam conversion.

Do people still do multiplayer? Cause Rhino-packing everyone through walls on XBL never got old.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Junkenstein posted:

I would recommend NOT doing this. I think Valve have cracked down on people before. They don't care if you activate a key or use a VPN to unlock a game earlier. If you use a VPN and purchase through the Steam store by pretending you are in another region, they take notice. I think some goons had a warning or temp ban in the past?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ragequit posted:

I would recommend NOT doing this. I think Valve have cracked down on people before. They don't care if you activate a key or use a VPN to unlock a game earlier. If you use a VPN and purchase through the Steam store by pretending you are in another region, they take notice. I think some goons had a warning or temp ban in the past?

I think they're talking Nuuvem, which is totally cool with such things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Stan Taylor posted:

I feel like a big old turd because I really didn't like Thomas Was Alone. The platforming is not great, or even good really, and the writing and narration is uninteresting but has a British dude. I feel like everyone loves the hell out of it, so I try it out again every once in a while but it seems like it just kind of... loving blows.

It goes for cheap in sales, but I still say you ought to avoid it.

Yeah I didn't think it was anything special either.

• Locked thread