Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Season 4 has a lot of stuff it can do to make the uneven Yakuza arc really good.

i hope it actually gives some screentime to the girls fighting that one big dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Inflammatory posted:

i hope it actually gives some screentime to the girls fighting that one big dude.
That's like prime material for canonized filler. The only thing you need to hope for is that Bones is as good as dealing with how the schedule and staff their episodes as they have been with seasons 2/3. If it's one of the 2-3 outsourced episodes...ehhhhhh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wonder about that fight since they didn't even actually take him down in the end. it'd be kind of a waste of time, wouldn't it?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wonder about that fight since they didn't even actually take him down in the end. it'd be kind of a waste of time, wouldn't it?
There's a lot they can change about how the fight plays out until the end because all they have to do is set it up where he gets floated and then powerbombed through the street at the end. They can trade blows as much as they like leading up to it.

poo poo, Kirishima's fight is shown in its entirety and it's just him and Fatgum getting the poo poo pummeled out of them until Kirishima buys enough time for Fatgun to 1HKO the whole bunch. I don't think it's impossible to handle Dragonlady and the girl interns fighting until the manga part in such a way that it's interesting to watch.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 9, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea but that actually ends the fight. the off screen fight is off screen because it doesn't accomplish anything

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I seem to remember powerbombing the big guy through the street and into where the showdown with Overhaul was happening being pretty important but maybe I need to reread.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

I seem to remember powerbombing the big guy through the street and into where the showdown with Overhaul was happening being pretty important but maybe I need to reread.

that happened on screen already. the initial fight was unimportant because he just got back up. that's when he got dropped through the ceiling and that part was shown

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1049359062687789058

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

"Man your really going at that pinata, you must really want the candy inside"

"Theres candy inside?"

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like the Shonen Jump podcast since it's one of the few places where discussion or mere mention of Mineta isn't followed by people trampling over each other to be the first to say how much they hate him.

MHA discussion is gonna become a hellscape if he doesn't get taken out near immediately when his fight starts.

EDIT: note this isn't in response to Hihohe's post above, but rather based on mention of Mineta on Twitter and other sites

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 10, 2018

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Hihohe posted:

"Man your really going at that pinata, you must really want the candy inside"

"Theres candy inside?"

It's just already licked, unwrapped, grape-flavored jolly ranchers.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I like the Shonen Jump podcast since it's one of the few places where discussion or mere mention of Mineta isn't followed by people trampling over each other to be the first to say how much they hate him.

MHA discussion is gonna become a hellscape if he doesn't get taken out near immediately when his fight starts.

EDIT: note this isn't in response to Hihohe's post above, but rather based on mention of Mineta on Twitter and other sites

I personally hope he does well and shows that he's grown as a person. I personally prefer when bad characters learn their mistakes and become okay rather than them just being dunked in constantly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SpacePig posted:

It's just already licked, unwrapped, grape-flavored jolly ranchers.

I personally hope he does well and shows that he's grown as a person. I personally prefer when bad characters learn their mistakes and become okay rather than them just being dunked in constantly.

Yeah, MHA has been remarkably good at that so far.

Bakugo started as an rear end in a top hat, now he's Deku's rival and a merely questionable (as opposed to terrible) role model for small children. Endeavor was a domestic abuser, now he's realized that his actions might never be set right, but that doesn't give him an inch of leeway when it comes to trying. Shigaraki was an obnoxious, murderous manchild, and now...

Well, he's still a murderous supervillain, but he's much better at it now.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

SpacePig posted:

Same! I've liked Mineta every time he gets to take center stage or contribute in a meaningful way. He can still be a perv, that is fine, but as long as he gets some development out of it or learns boundaries or something I'm happy.

Also, I reread the newest chapter in the English Jump and yup, I still hate it. These two lines, fuckin' hell.

"He should've knocked her out cold, but Tokoyami didn't take this training seriously enough!"

"You had to resort to that, Komori?"

I hope the next chapter elaborates and doesn't skip right to the next fight because god I hate these lines. Tokoyami gave 100% in this fight, showing off his growth and new fighting style and teamwork left and right. Sorry he didn't want to smash another student's head in during a training exercise, I guess, but I mean he should've know better after the first match where every single fight was decided by knockout and simply restraining the opponent was definitely not sufficient four goddamn times.

And what does Kendo mean, resort to that? Because unless that power has one hell of a drawback or limitation, then Tokoyami was definitely not the one underestimating people.

EDIT: also I only noticed on reread that Kendo somehow got out of that enclosure with only one arm free while dragging Momo and a cannon and it pisses me off that it was preceded by such aggravating poo poo and not shown at all so I can't appreciate how cool that would be otherwise.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The "he should've knocked her out cold" line gets more and more bizarre the more I think about it.

Maybe Inko should've taken Deku out of UA after all.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Keep in mind that the person who said those lines was Monoma.

I do hope they expanded a bit on this. Sure Midnight was praising Momo, but I really hope they don't just swipe Tokoyami's efforts under the rug.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe Aoyama should stop wearing a cape since he keeps getting dragged by it with seemingly no way to stop people.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rhonne posted:

Maybe Aoyama should stop wearing a cape since he keeps getting dragged by it with seemingly no way to stop people.

I honestly can't believe there's not an Edna Mode in the support department who refuses to let heroes have capes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Capes are there to be wrapped around those in need to help remind them that everything will be okay.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

SpacePig posted:

I honestly can't believe there's not an Edna Mode in the support department who refuses to let heroes have capes.

The reason heroes wear capes is so they can take tormented little girls in their pain and suffering and cloak them in it's comfort!

Beside that Edna bit in Incredibles was silly, just make the cloaks detachable (velcro or snaps) and none of those incidents would have happened.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

See, the difference between Mirio and Aoyama is that Mirio is highly skilled and competent(and used to be able to turn his cape intangible), while Aoyama...is not.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rouncer posted:

The reason heroes wear capes is so they can take tormented little girls in their pain and suffering and cloak them in it's comfort!

Beside that Edna bit in Incredibles was silly, just make the cloaks detachable (velcro or snaps) and none of those incidents would have happened.

Yeah, capes should be some kind of protective material like Batman's but also just magnetic stick onto your suit or something so they can't get grabbed or caught on poo poo.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You don't tug on Superman's cape, and you don't mess around with Jim.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Kanos posted:

The latest chapter, in summary:
  • Momo decides she's not gonna beat Kendo so she makes a cannon and shoots a bag of goodies to help her team win. By doing this, she gets knocked out, though at some point she apparently ties herself and her cannon to Kendo to slow her down.
  • Aoyama is loving useless and Tokoyami/Hagakure can't save him from the other team until Momo's goodie bag arrives, which contains anti-fungal spray and infrared goggles.
  • Tokoyami takes the goggles and uses them to find mushroom girl and Vantablack and beats the poo poo out of them effortlessly until mushroom girl decides to choke Tokoyami out by growing mushrooms in his throat/lungs. This is treated as Tokoyami making a mistake because he didn't bludgeon her unconscious immediately.
  • Hagakure, who is invisible again due to the anti-fungals, beats up Manga a little bit but is then chumped into submission immediately by Kendo, who managed to drag herself, the cannon, and Momo there in time to help and still be strong enough to instantly capture Hagakure.
  • Despite 1-A getting completely swept off the board and Mushroom being able to win the fight instantly at any point, everyone talks about how great Momo was and Kendo talks about how it doesn't feel like she won, even though she completely won.
  • No one talks about Aoyama and Hagakure because they were so useless in this encounter that the fight might as well have been a 2v4.

Oh

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I'm bi so I don't really enjoy all the tactical stuff but it seems like even for someone who does, you'd want to make it possible to predict and speculate with some kind of reasonable guidelines for their abilities and behavior because that's what makes it fun right? Not just constant rear end-pulls and personal revelations?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I'm honestly kind of puzzled that so many people don't see to have gotten that Momo, even falling into unconsciousness with the single mega-attack from Kendo, was clearly launching the binding 'attack' from her body as she was falling in that last panel of her, to which Kendo was reacting in her own last panel in that sequence.

So she knew she'd likely lose in one hit, and planned to launch her payload (not wanting to kill Kendo with the force thereof at that point blank range, which could totally kill anyone), get hit/taken out, and bind up Kendo with her own body + the cannon, hoping the weight thereof would be enough to effectively take her out of the fight insofar as she'd be easy pickings for her teammates in that state.

I mean, we see the stuff (vines? epoxy? whatever) launching up out of her body forcefully even as she was falling, so it was pretty clearly planned and intentional on Momo's part.

It's not her fault Mushroom Girl effectively has an auto-subdual ability much like Midnight's sleep scent, which is hardly an egregious thing for a quirk to provide (despite some people reacting to it as such), much like Deku also has super-mobility and long-range attacks to go with his melee strength, or Bakugou has rocket jumps, or any number of other Heroes or Villains have all manner of 'other powers' through creative use of their Quirks.

That's how comic book characters have been rolling for pretty much its whole history, and pretty much every single character that can rapidly grow and control plants (or some other substance) at will within a certain range have been pulling nasty tricks with 'inside their opponents' like the throat spores for as long as they've existed. There are Swamp Thing panels where stuff like that happens that are literally decades old at this point.

Also, excessive school-approved violence has been a part of THIS series since, like, the entrance exam? So yes, people are mad for various reasons, but someone suggesting that knocking one of their fellow students unconscious (or choking them into subdual) somehow suddenly being this outrageous suggestion ring a bit...odd?

Also, to address that last post above mine, the fact that 1-A has been in the public spotlight, showing off their capabilities and getting recognition for it, while 1-B has not, and characters having issues with these two circumstances, and the potential advantages between fighting real villains frequently vs not having their studies interrupted by drama while also not having shown off their Quirks yet (to the point where we still have no idea what several 1-B students' are yet, halfway through this arc) and thus having a potential tactical advantage are literally in-story issues that have been brought up, discussed, and argued over by the characters themselves in the manga itself.

So...'I have a quirk that can do various things wait until you find out what they are mid-fight 1-A in this event we specifically set up so the classes could compete against each other and grow as students' doesn't seem like it'd qualify as an "asspull" to me.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 10, 2018

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

In a school where you are learning to fight bad guys you should be able to a) knock someone tf out and b)be able to take being knocked tf out (or having you lungs filled with mushrooms)

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I agree on basically all points but also this is the thread where some people thought Deku was exercising excessive force against Gentle, who was actively committing a crime and given every opportunity to surrender.

A lot of the week-to-week reactions smooth out in the long run.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

That and people are (rightly) salty that another female character in a shounen didn’t get a clean, satisfactory win

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

That and people are (rightly) salty that another female character in a shounen didn’t get a clean, satisfactory win

It was a clean win for Kendo and Mushroom Girl :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

In a school where you are learning to fight bad guys you should be able to a) knock someone tf out and b)be able to take being knocked tf out (or having you lungs filled with mushrooms)

So should Momo have just shot Kendo in the face with the cannon?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

If it's power is somewhere around "knock someone out", sure

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Probably should have gone for the gut and knock the wind out of her, like Mirio did with all of Class 1A

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

SgtSteel91 posted:

Has anyone at all ever gotten a clean, satisfactory win in MHA

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

SgtSteel91 posted:

What does "be able to take being knocked out" mean. Should they train to make their brains more muscular so they aren't damaged as badly

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Clearly. This is shonen after all. Anything can be trained.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Question Friend posted:

Has anyone at all ever gotten a clean, satisfactory win in MHA

Mirio. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

It was a clean win for Kendo and Mushroom Girl :colbert:

Yeah, and it's only gonna make the Kendo and Naijire battle against Toga and Twice that much cooler! I can't wait for Toga to grind Kendo's face on a belt sander and show that yeah, as the story goes on, people are getting tougher, as she breaks it with her face with largely no injury.

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, Momo should've made two cannons so she could put some range between her and Kendo and also deliver emergency supplies to the rest of her team.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

If Momo had made a bird-shaped gasmask, would that have protected Tokoyami from the mushroom cheat?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Rhonne posted:

If Momo had made a bird-shaped gasmask, would that have protected Tokoyami from the mushroom cheat?

It probably could have before the spores got to them. If you inhale them it’s over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
So functionally the mushroom girl's quirk is just Midnight's but better