Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Jesus Christ.

This game is so like DS1, sunvasion is back with a vengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tallgeese posted:

Jesus Christ.

Honestly, when even the coding of the game starts looking phoned in, I think it's about time to call 'er done. I'm glad this series is finally being put to bed.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am
Looking up luck builds led me to a speedrun and I have mixed feelings about it. I can sort of understand quitting and reloading to skip door openings, because they're very slow--but then, if the speedrun community decided against that then everyone would have the added time of the door openings on their runs so it would still be equal. What feels extremely hinkie to me is quit/reload to avoid death when grabbed by something or to reset a crowd of mobs that are waiting patiently for you to leave a cutscene. Does anyone else feel that is sort of dishonest? You're not defeating the encounters placed by the designers in a speedy way, you're just abusing a mechanic to skip large chunks of it.

If nothing else I think the timers should continue counting while the runner is quitting/reloading.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Melanion posted:

Does anyone else feel that is sort of dishonest?

It's entirely up to a particular speedrunning community what is or isn't legitimate, and there's frequently multiple categories where certain glitches or tricks are/are not allowed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Don't worry guys, it doesn't matter what flaws Dark Souls 2 Dark Souls 3 has it was just the work of the B team A team. When they make Dark Souls 4 everything will be perfect.

Melanion posted:

Looking up luck builds led me to a speedrun and I have mixed feelings about it. I can sort of understand quitting and reloading to skip door openings, because they're very slow--but then, if the speedrun community decided against that then everyone would have the added time of the door openings on their runs so it would still be equal. What feels extremely hinkie to me is quit/reload to avoid death when grabbed by something or to reset a crowd of mobs that are waiting patiently for you to leave a cutscene. Does anyone else feel that is sort of dishonest? You're not defeating the encounters placed by the designers in a speedy way, you're just abusing a mechanic to skip large chunks of it.

If nothing else I think the timers should continue counting while the runner is quitting/reloading.

The speed running community decides on what is 'fair' for any given game, and they always lean in favor of whatever saves time for the most part. In most games, exploiting game mechanics is just as important as actually playing the game well.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

Jesus Christ.

What does that term refer to? Being summoned as a friendly and then swapping your status/target eligibility so that you could attack the host? Or something more arcane?

Edit:

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't worry guys, it doesn't matter what flaws Dark Souls 2 Dark Souls 3 has it was just the work of the B team A team. When they make Dark Souls 4 everything will be perfect.
The funny thing is that when people say "A Team" or "B Team" when referring to who made which Souls game, I just think of high school academic competitions where the top few schools regularly sent multiple groups to compete. (Mine was infamous for this.) Of course this isn't the same thing, but regardless all these designations just make the "A Team" and the "B Team" sound so, well, similar.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 15, 2016

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Vermain posted:

It's entirely up to a particular speedrunning community what is or isn't legitimate, and there's frequently multiple categories where certain glitches or tricks are/are not allowed.

I know, I know. IANASR. Just wondered if other people felt the same as me.

I do think it's hellishly impressive that this guy is reading his stream chat while running from enemies while managing his inventory screen.

e: It occurs to me that what I deem impressive pretty well boils down to what would give me a personal sense of satisfaction and pride, which is pretty myopic.

Melanion fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 15, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

NGDBSS posted:

What does that term refer to? Being summoned as a friendly and then swapping your status/target eligibility so that you could attack the host? Or something more arcane?

Using the Red Eye Orb, and when the game is in the middle of the invading process switching a number so that you are invading as a friendly.

This is DS1-era stuff. You couldn't do this in DS2, there was protection against it and the programming involved was different.

What is old is new again. The method is exactly the drat same. The numbers you need to use to invade as red/blue/etc are the same. It's incredible.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Finished my caveman run. Rings, loincloth, club, bare fists and torch. Was very fun and would recommend :thumbsup:

Yes that does mean I beat Yhorm with my club. Definitely took a while.

Buck Turgidson fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 15, 2016

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
Truly, the truth of the world is that everything is a grand cycle. It does not matter what you did in the second, the first flame game is rekindled and reigns supreme once again.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Melanion posted:

The rest of your post is definitely up for worthy debate, but the timer is stopped during loads because not all hardware is the same. If you have a SSD, you probably knock off two minutes from an all-bosses run in DS3/Bloodborne.

Also the in-game timer doesn't count loads, I think.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Using the Red Eye Orb, and when the game is in the middle of the invading process switching a number so that you are invading as a friendly.

This is DS1-era stuff. You couldn't do this in DS2, there was protection against it and the programming involved was different.

What is old is new again. The method is exactly the drat same. The numbers you need to use to invade as red/blue/etc are the same. It's incredible.

The internet collectively said it didn't like dark souls 2 as much so let's just copy-paste dark souls 1 and forget whatever the B team ever did

RyokoTK posted:

The rest of your post is definitely up for worthy debate, but the timer is stopped during loads because not all hardware is the same. If you have a SSD, you probably knock off two minutes from an all-bosses run in DS3/Bloodborne.

I'm pretty sure they look at the time recorded on the save yeah. It's one reason quitting to the menu is so efficient in a lot of places.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Some of the stuff about the way the game is coded is legitimately disheartening, but I still feel like the game will really come together when we get some DLCs released. Souls 2 and Bloodborne both felt that way to me, so I'm more than willing to give 3 the same chance. I think the core gameplay loop and area design are as strong as they've ever been, too, so I'm remaining optimistic. I feel like this is a great game with some serious flaws right now, but I think that some of those flaws could definitely be fixed in the future. So here's hoping!

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

That hadn't occurred to me and is very fair.

Also this streamer got super salty when he botched a quit and died to a fall.

I enjoy this style of run for the way it reduces the entire game to a series of puzzles and optimisation problems. This guy has likely spent more time out of the game planning and reading others' strategies than I've spent actually playing it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bombadilillo posted:

What's happening here

NPC pulls a Wile E. Coyote and briefly wastes my time before I can get to that sweet poisoned host booty.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dazzling Addar posted:

Some of the stuff about the way the game is coded is legitimately disheartening, but I still feel like the game will really come together when we get some DLCs released. Souls 2 and Bloodborne both felt that way to me, so I'm more than willing to give 3 the same chance. I think the core gameplay loop and area design are as strong as they've ever been, too, so I'm remaining optimistic. I feel like this is a great game with some serious flaws right now, but I think that some of those flaws could definitely be fixed in the future. So here's hoping!

You're right that a lot of flaws with 2 and Bloodborne were resolved in the DLC. I'm optimistic that when the DLC is released weapon variety at the very least will be improved. But other stuff I'm not so sure about. Like, are they ever going to adress the extreme balance problems with straight swords? Will they bother to fix their wonky hitbox? Will poise ever be a stat anyone cares about again? And when the DLC does come out, will some of the major bugs have been fixed by then or will we just have even more of them?

Its just disappointing right now. I still like this game a lot about for the final installment in the series, a lot of the mechanical problems make it underwhelming.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

argondamn posted:

I wonder if you could pull that trick on other players if they're locked on.

Players and ladders are my passion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6gC08c6Y8uY

You gain more or less hyper armour while descending.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I disagree on the dark souls 2/bloodborne DLCs being better than the original games. They have great level design, but for the most part I think they have the same problems as their base games, plus new problems such as 2's DLCs destroying any build that doesn't involve exclusively physical damage melee weapons.

WaltherFeng posted:

Players and ladders are my passion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6gC08c6Y8uY

You gain more or less hyper armour while descending.

For god's sake why didn't that moron just go to the boss door

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I originally wanted to do an sl1 run in this game but with all the ridiculous attack damage enemies do, nerfed pyromancies, and the fact all the good items like red tearstone ring aren't available until lothric castle (I wouldn't be cheesing the dancer to get there earlier). so instead I'm just doing a base vigor sorcerer run and only upgrading int instead. Sorcerer is so terrible my magic wouldn't break Wolnir's bracelet; even with a sun-bro I was doing nothing and when he died before getting the last bracelet I had to beat Wolnir by just soul-arrowing his face for over five minutes. Did you know he starts to summon red-eyed shotel skeletons in the last stage? It's not fun being a wizard (and you can't even go to the profaned capital until after irythrilll for the good spells if you don't want to break the greirat quest either)

:negative:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but look at this poo poo.

This is someone on Reddit who thinks they figured out Poise. Essentially, when you get hit by something, it drops IFrames from your rolls. Actually drops the frames, making yours rolling animation shorter and faster. Poise is how fast you regenerate IFrames.

This is ASININE. Why does heavy armor help you recover your dodge rolls? Why is it that Havel can shrug off hits ala DS1 Poise, but when YOU wear his armor, it does something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT? Why do weapon arts that "boost poise" actually do what you expect Poise to do, but are completely different mechanics?

Not sure if this is actually what is going on, but he did a boatload of frame by frame investigation and it seems legit. But WHY? :negative:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Digirat posted:

For god's sake why didn't that moron just go to the boss door

A lot of people get REALLY bad tunnel vision when an invader appears. These folks have phantoms for a reason :laugh:
That one particular ledge is the best cause it's way shorter and slipperier than it looks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but look at this poo poo.

This is someone on Reddit who thinks they figured out Poise. Essentially, when you get hit by something, it drops IFrames from your rolls. Actually drops the frames, making yours rolling animation shorter and faster. Poise is how fast you regenerate IFrames.

This is ASININE. Why does heavy armor help you recover your dodge rolls? Why is it that Havel can shrug off hits ala DS1 Poise, but when YOU wear his armor, it does something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT? Why do weapon arts that "boost poise" actually do what you expect Poise to do, but are completely different mechanics?

Not sure if this is actually what is going on, but he did a boatload of frame by frame investigation and it seems legit. But WHY? :negative:

It was posted a page or two back. Most of the big piles of text on reddit claiming they know what poise does are not very believable since they don't answer a lot of the questions we have about it (like why poise is a % from 0-100 like tallgeese said), but however it actually works, it can't be good. Whatever poise does there is no way for it to be a good system at this point. If this theory is right it's bad, if the hyper armor threshold theories are right it's bad, if it does nothing at all it's bad.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Desperate Character posted:

I originally wanted to do an sl1 run in this game but with all the ridiculous attack damage enemies do, nerfed pyromancies, and the fact all the good items like red tearstone ring aren't available until lothric castle (I wouldn't be cheesing the dancer to get there earlier). so instead I'm just doing a base vigor sorcerer run and only upgrading int instead. Sorcerer is so terrible my magic wouldn't break Wolnir's bracelet; even with a sun-bro I was doing nothing and when he died before getting the last bracelet I had to beat Wolnir by just soul-arrowing his face for over five minutes. Did you know he starts to summon red-eyed shotel skeletons in the last stage? It's not fun being a wizard (and you can't even go to the profaned capital until after irythrilll for the good spells if you don't want to break the greirat quest either)

:negative:

This doesn't sound right, did you try your magic swords on his bracelets?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Well okay, it's not exactly like DS1... It may in fact be worse! Yay!

Would anyone be able to summon me? I have a suspicion you can do a completely silent invasion now.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I never really bothered stacking poise in any of these games because tank builds are boring so I don't care about any of this.

Also Dark Souls III is a good game that is fun to play

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mazed posted:

I never really bothered stacking poise in any of these games because tank builds are boring so I don't care about any of this.

Really anything that makes fast rolly guys the superior build is an improvement.

This is part of why Bloodborne is the best Souls.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Digirat posted:

I disagree on the dark souls 2/bloodborne DLCs being better than the original games. They have great level design, but for the most part I think they have the same problems as their base games, plus new problems such as 2's DLCs destroying any build that doesn't involve exclusively physical damage melee weapons.
I think you're massively exaggerating this.

Note the arena, the weapon I'm using, my Estus Flasks used, and my health bar. (I didn't touch lifegems.) Some of the DLC bosses may have higher-than-average elemental resistances, but at the end of the day elemental damage is fine against them and their minions so long as you follow the Golden Rule of Hitting RPG Enemies with Spells. Don't use their own element against them. (People claimed something similar about DS1's DLC, and honestly with enough work you could overcome them with elemental damage as well.)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mazed posted:

I too don't care about formerly viable alternatives. Should just nerf magic and miracle damage as well so we're all just wearing naught but silken cloth during our beautiful katana dances.
:smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah I heard people complain about the elemental/magic resist in the DLCs but when I went through them as a club wielding pyromancer I did fine. My pyromancy still did solid damage to a lot of enemies and remained useful even in Brume Tower, a level where you'd expect everything to basically ignore fire damage.

RIP lingering flame :(

Mazed posted:

I literally never played a poise stacking character so it being gone hasn't changed much for me in PvE. I still think having a stat that is boosted by several items do nothing is idiotic and lazy.

Its all the other stuff that is getting me down. The terrible balance and the general bugs specifically. I'm getting tired of invading someone only to have them summon a phantom and end up in a T pose because they somehow managed to gently caress up the online in an entirely new way.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 15, 2016

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Mazed posted:

I beat all the Demon/Dark Souls games at least once, and almost always wear medium armor. I also find tank builds are boring (never played heavy for any significant time); still it was nice to know the heavy armor play style was there and worth trying if you wanted to. If there is no point to wearing heavy armor in ds3, my super important choice to wear medium armor is a less important choice. See what I mean?

I also want to say that Dark Souls III is a good game that is fun to play

BBQ Dave fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 15, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Flynn's Ring builds are stupid but I've been enjoying mine. I'm using a loincloth, a rapier, offhand caestus, pyro glove, Flynn's, Hornet, Leo and the ring that keeps human appearance. I get an 8% damage boost which isn't earth-shattering but overall it's a lot of fun. I'm at lvl 60 and pretty competitive in PvP. Facing multiple opponents is tougher than usual, however. The rapier boosted with carthus flame drops shield stability at a surprising rate, I'm not sure if the buff helps but either way when I face a sword & board opponent they always try and block after a couple whiffed longsword swings and get guardbroken after 2 or 3 stabs. My biggest problem is opponents with buffed weapons because I can't take advantage of split damage resistances. The best part about it is just invading and looking like a half-naked hairy old homeless one-eyed cretin.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh this is fun, they copied over the invasion mechanics from DS1 but forgot to copy over error detection: people can do completely silent invasions now.

I guess it has the benefit of me scaring people to death if I ever decide to teleport to them with a giant mimic head, since there would be absolutely no warning.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Without irony, I get the poise problem, really, and I know what y'all mean. :v: But, the game's far from a total mess, and shouldn't be hyperbolically written off as such.

If I had to voice a serious frustration, it's the netcode. Successful summons shouldn't be like a one in five kind of deal.

Also the fact that it seems to be far easier to get stuck on geometry. Backing yourself into a corner is one thing, but I encountered a legit nightmare scenario last night where I came out of the area where you fight the demon with Siegward in the Settlement, aggroed the Evangelist who was clanging her way up the road, tried to get a plunging attack, and instead fell into a tiny outcropping of rock and staircase and had no escape from the worst hug.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

Oh this is fun, they copied over the invasion mechanics from DS1 but forgot to copy over error detection: people can do completely silent invasions now.

I guess it has the benefit of me scaring people to death if I ever decide to teleport to them with a giant mimic head, since there would be absolutely no warning.

Just got to say I love reading your posts about messing around with these games, I remember you doing some fun things with DS2 as well.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I just want you all to imagine what would have happened if that Malcolm guy had an ounce of creativity in his body.

Imagine him doing everything he did, but doing it without anyone ever seeing his name pop up, or seeing him attacking. Just... horrific stuff happening to your character out of literally nowhere, without anyone seeming to have invaded.

I remember some very credulous folks thinking I was an NPC in DS1, that would have been twenty times worse.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 15, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cyberventurer posted:

18 minute long invasion. Every time the host's phantoms died, he danced away to summon more. The guy almost broke his sword by the end of it. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti7XimK0gU4

To his discredit, that character is totally twinked out. +10 estus, 10 flasks in an invasion, and you can bet money that his gear is all +10. But based on the souls he receives per kill, those guys are all around SL 25.

I sure as hell don't have the skills to do what he did, but knowing that he's a twink kind of robs the impressiveness of the situation

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

QuarkJets posted:

To his discredit, that character is totally twinked out. +10 estus, 10 flasks in an invasion, and you can bet money that his gear is all +10. But based on the souls he receives per kill, those guys are all around SL 25.

I sure as hell don't have the skills to do what he did, but knowing that he's a twink kind of robs the impressiveness of the situation

Can't have a +10 weapon and invade people below +7. Its more likely he had a +6 weapon, as that's what I use for invading in the Cathedral/Catacombs and still get hits without screwing myself over equipment wise if I want to invade Irthyll. Its perfectly possible that the phantoms he fight had as low as +2 weapons though.

It is kind of silly that estus doesn't get balanced around invasions at all but I guess From didn't think about it thought invaders having halved estus was a big enough penalty.

EDIT: Actually looking at the pitiful damage the host inflicts I find it hard to believe they could possibly have a +4 weapon so I dunno, guy might be more of a twink than I thought.

VVV Well when you bring up hacking everything goes out the window cause lol From

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 15, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Internet Kraken posted:

Can't have a +10 weapon and invade people below +7.

You can if you hack and have the slightest bit of willingness to experiment.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Can't have a +10 weapon and invade people below +7. Its more likely he had a +6 weapon, as that's what I use for invading in the Cathedral/Catacombs and still get hits without screwing myself over equipment wise if I want to invade Irthyll. Its perfectly possible that the phantoms he fight had as low as +2 weapons though.

It is kind of silly that estus doesn't get balanced around invasions at all but I guess From didn't think about it thought invaders having halved estus was a big enough penalty.

EDIT: Actually looking at the pitiful damage the host inflicts I find it hard to believe they could possibly have a +4 weapon so I dunno, guy might be more of a twink than I thought.

VVV Well when you bring up hacking everything goes out the window cause lol From

IIRC that reddit post where they talked about multiplayer and weapon level limits was only tested with coop, not invasions. It's not clear to me that those limits are the same for invasions.

e: Case in point I have a character with a +9 weapon who has no problem doing Aldritch Faithful invasions against all sorts of scrubby players, who I strongly doubt have upgraded to +7 yet.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

QuarkJets posted:

IIRC that reddit post where they talked about multiplayer and weapon level limits was only tested with coop, not invasions. It's not clear to me that those limits are the same for invasions.

I'd say there's no way From would make invasions less restrictive than coop but who loving knows. I've been basing all my invasion knowledge on this page which could be wrong.

Don't suppose you have any better knowledge on the way equipment interact with invasions Tallgeese?

QuarkJets posted:

e: Case in point I have a character with a +9 weapon who has no problem doing Aldritch Faithful invasions against all sorts of scrubby players, who I strongly doubt have upgraded to +7 yet.

Weapon range extends to -/+3 when you get past +5.