Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Slim Pickens posted:

Made a quick'n'lovely photoshop of the Sprint to see what it looks like in :britain: green

I think Triumph needs to get on that as a standard option. Here's a Thruxton in Brexit Green:

Full :britain: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Barnsy posted:

Is the sprint any good? They sell for peanuts here for some reason.

I think it's a decent bike, but it feels like an in-between bike for me. I used to just ride a twin so I'm missing that torque and sound, and the riding position is more aggressive than I'm used to. I like how quick it is and the hard panniers, and the fact I got it for really cheap, and it'll look good once I get fresh paint on it. Maybe once I get a smaller front sprocket, a better exhaust and hit some curves I'll love it but right now my bike check boxes are
*looks good
*Sounds good
*power wheelies in 2nd
*carries poo poo
And right now it's meeting only one, but has the potential for all four.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/june/honda-cbr600rr-killed-off/

Nibbler
Feb 13, 2007

America's Game, the way it's meant to be played.
Earlier this year I bought my first ever dirt bike and I've been riding it steadily since then. I hadn't ridden for 10 years prior (I'm old - 34) and I was always borrowing bikes so I was only ever able to ride intermittently. It really got me back into loving the sport. The problem with the dirt bike is I still can only ride a few times a month due to work and having to haul it out to the woods.

I'm looking into a dual sport now as I think it would be awesome to be able to commute to work and then hit trails afterward. I'm leaning toward a Yamaha XT250 due to the low seat height and overall newbie-friendliness.

Anyone with experience with this bike or any other recommendations?

I'm also taking the MSF course next weekend so I'll share how that goes. It helped relieve my nerves to hear about everyone else's experience.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

WHAT THE gently caress?
So Honda just isn't going to have a 600-sportbike in EU?
I hope this doesn't affect the US.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The 650F is good enough right?

The article implies they aren't making a new SS 600, so if they can still sell it in the states it will be the same old bike with bold new graphics forever.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The only way it won't affect the US is if Honda USA opts to foot the entirety of the R&D bill for making Honda's 600cc competition track bike road legal.

e/ ^^ will they keep the factory running though? Sounds like middleweight supersport sales have been dropping off everywhere.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 29, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I thought the 650F was made in Thailand though. Not to be super racist or anything but I want something MIJ, dammit

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Nibbler posted:

Earlier this year I bought my first ever dirt bike and I've been riding it steadily since then. I hadn't ridden for 10 years prior (I'm old - 34) and I was always borrowing bikes so I was only ever able to ride intermittently. It really got me back into loving the sport. The problem with the dirt bike is I still can only ride a few times a month due to work and having to haul it out to the woods.

I'm looking into a dual sport now as I think it would be awesome to be able to commute to work and then hit trails afterward. I'm leaning toward a Yamaha XT250 due to the low seat height and overall newbie-friendliness.

Anyone with experience with this bike or any other recommendations?

I'm also taking the MSF course next weekend so I'll share how that goes. It helped relieve my nerves to hear about everyone else's experience.

I've never owned or ridden a XT225 or XT250 (I've owned a TW200 which is pretty close) but they are great bikes with no major issues. The XT225 is more common and a bit cheaper. Other bikes in that range are the Kawi KLX250, Honda CRF230, and Suzuki DR200.

A MIRACLE posted:

I thought the 650F was made in Thailand though. Not to be super racist or anything but I want something MIJ, dammit

I believe they are built in Japan and assembled in Thailand.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
600 super sports are loving dumb and it's about time someone realized this and stopped dumping money into them.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
what's wrong with 600 super sports

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
They're lame because they cost as much or more than a naked literbike. You can literally buy a Z1000, FZ-10, CB1000R, etc for what a CBR600RR, R6, ZX6 cost, and they are much worse bikes for street use than the bigger nakeds. That's a lot of bucks to pay for something that's really only at home on a track as opposed to a better equipped, more powerful sport standard or sport tourer.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

What advantage do they have over other bikes that a liter bike doesn't have over them?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Razzled posted:

Not a Buell, obviously.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

No honest man needs more than 2 cylinders.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Deeters posted:

No honest man needs more than 2 cylinders.

This may be true. My third cylinder makes me feel less than honest...well, basically on any road.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chichevache posted:

What advantage do they have over other bikes that a liter bike doesn't have over them?

The only thing they've got going for them is that they give the sensible squid a slightly milder choice.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
you guys are wrong and just racist against gixxerwolves

i bet you voted for brexit

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I like my zx6 just fine /shrug.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Z3n posted:

600 super sports are loving dumb and it's about time someone realized this and stopped dumping money into them.

Seriously. If you buy a brand new 600 these days, you're a dummy. Double so if it's a brand new R6, hasn't had a major change since like 06 or 08?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

It looks like Android is finally getting multiple waypoints in Google maps. Brief article here

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Schroeder91 posted:

It looks like Android is finally getting multiple waypoints in Google maps. Brief article here

I can't believe this wasn't a thing yet. :psyduck: I had been looking for ages, and I just assumed I wasn't finding the right page or something.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Schroeder91 posted:

Took them long enough. I could have used that feature on my last trip, and in life in general.

Razzled posted:

gixxerwolves

I love that word so much.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
600s tend to be lighter and get better mileage than a liter bike. I'd take an sv650 or fz6 over an sv1000 or fz1.
An sv1000 is just a fat sv650. Only reason I'd take a fizzer over my fazer is if I was doing a lot of two up distance riding, but then I'd go for an FJR.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pope Mobile posted:

600s tend to be lighter and get better mileage than a liter bike. I'd take an sv650 or fz6 over an sv1000 or fz1.
An sv1000 is just a fat sv650. Only reason I'd take a fizzer over my fazer is if I was doing a lot of two up distance riding, but then I'd go for an FJR.

Agreed so hard super sports didn't even end up on the table.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pope Mobile posted:

SV650s are Supersports? :monocle: why do you assholes recommend them to beginners?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

600SS decline > 600cc racing declines > everyone whines about how 'the market' was 'too stupid' to keep bikes like that profitable and everyone has to ride around on 1300cc+ behemoths with 300hp.

People bagging 600's ITT is exactly why you cunts didn't get any of the good 400's or 250's.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

600SS decline > 600cc racing declines > everyone whines about how 'the market' was 'too stupid' to keep bikes like that profitable and everyone has to ride around on 1300cc+ behemoths with 300hp.

People bagging 600's ITT is exactly why you cunts didn't get any of the good 400's or 250's.

I'm not bagging smaller bikes, I love them. I just feel that if HP is a measurement you care about then step up to a liter. Make the 600s a platform for other cool poo poo besides the numbers that help the inadequate get hard.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
E: ^^^^ 115+ HP from something like a ZRX or FZ-09 is a lot more fun (and easier to power wheelie) on the street than from a really peaky 600 too.

Slavvy posted:

Smaller displacement bikes are fine. An EX250 is a much better street bike than a 600 SS. The big problem is, 600 SS's cost 2x what an SV650 or CB500 or Ninja 650 cost, and that's just silly. If you want a smaller displacement bike for general street use, get one of the cheap options. If you want something fast and expensive, and you're not going to exclusively trailer it to track days, then drop your $12,000 USD on an FZ-10 or Z1000 or something; it'll still be faster than you around a track and be better to live with and more versatile on public roads.

Supersports only really come into their own when being pushed hard, and you just can't do that without risking serious fines and jail time on public streets, so what's the point if you're not spending serious time and money at the track trying to become the next Marquez?

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 30, 2016

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chichevache posted:

I'm not bagging smaller bikes, I love them. I just feel that if HP is a measurement you care about then step up to a liter. Make the 600s a platform for other cool poo poo besides the numbers that help the inadequate get hard.

i don't even know why you're saying that, your zrx is not even that fast compared to an r6

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

600's don't exist to have massive power, they exist precisely because many people feel literbikes have too much power and want something slower and lighter and smaller but with the same grade of suspension and brakes and stuff (hint: this is why 400's are cool). That applies to road and track. They're also a lot more satisfying to ride than 1000's on the road, and you don't feel like you're cheating yourself somehow because you can't unleash 200mph and 180hp on every straight. Yes they're poo poo in traffic, but guess what? Literbikes are poo poo in traffic too! They too are peaky and long geared and have terrible low speed handling and horrible body postures. But on a country road a 600 is sharper and lighter and, dare I say it, more fun than a thousand. In an ideal world they wouldn't exist and we'd have 2t 250's but those got axed for the same reasons and I'll bet people sat around saying the same poo poo about how they're pointless.

As for cool poo poo, there are lots of bikes that have similar price/performance and do cool poo poo like the yamaha and triumph triples or the various fauxtards or whatever. That's like complaining that the bikes aren't what you want them to be but what you want them to be is other bikes that already exist.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I am ready to welcome our 400cc 300 pound dry weight turbo supersport overlords

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Modern liter bikes are only "peaky" if you're a completely broken human being. Modern 600s have too much power to be really good teaching you how to ride fast, none of the electronic AIDS to help you out, and tend to be insanely sharp handling, to the point of instability. They're also tiny and cramped, and only typically have a small weight advantage over a liter bike. If you're not racing a 600 class, you'll learn more on a smaller bike (or a 600 with one cylinder deactivated), and the numbers go up more on a liter bike plus you get the AIDS.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Your endless quest for the thrill of greater acceleration is doomed to despair. You become accustomed to it after a while, no matter the bike. Sorry to break it to you PaintVagrant.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

i don't even know why you're saying that, your zrx is not even that fast compared to an r6

And the R1 is faster than the R6. :shrug:

What point do you think I am making and why do you think it applies to my bike?

Please quote where I said my ZRX was faster than all 600s.

Edit

Is my bike even a Supersport? We are talking about supersports.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
*thinks of poo poo that has nothing to do with nothing*

Hey Razzled, your Tuono is shorter than Vern Troyer standing on Shaq's head.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

Razzled, it's not fair to compare Chichevache's ZRX that only runs on 3 cylinders to a modern supersport.

Chichevache posted:

*thinks of poo poo that has nothing to do with nothing*

Hey Razzled, your Tuono is shorter than Vern Troyer standing on Shaq's head.

At least his DRZ still runs despite being rammed into a mailbox :thurman:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 30, 2016

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Marxalot posted:

Razzled, it's not fair to compare Chichevache's ZRX that only runs on 3 cylinders to a modern supersport.

His bike isn't the only thing not running on all of its cylinders.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

At least his DRZ still runs despite being rammed into a mailbox :thurman:

Dude. Someone else has to quote your post and use :thurman:. You just gave yourself a round of applause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Chichevache posted:

Dude. Someone else has to quote your post and use :thurman:. You just gave yourself a round of applause.

Was I wrong? I mean ~MY DRZ~ was literally some goon's fancy upgraded trackbike (not sure he ever tracked it, I can't remember). Then I came along and put another 20kmi on it. At least -half- of which was at literal redline.

Still runs :iiam:

e: I mean the stator died, bad gas clogged up the pilot jet a couple times, and it's currently blowing fuses due to a short I haven't bothered to find. Otherwise it's been great.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 30, 2016