Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Use "Hey Google" for the Home instead is the best option I think.

Assuming they're signed into the same Google account, they can sort it out between themselves automatically. When they aren't, it sucks. Google really needs multiple account recognition on Googel Home ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

They're both on my account. They do see each other once in a while, but not always. Is "Hey Google" a home-specific wake phrase, or can I configure that somehow?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

They're doing this to escape telephone landline regulation, not for technical reasons, and we're talking about broadband internet access, not telephony. Verizon isn't replacing coax broadband cables or FTTN/FTTP lines with LTE boxes. Two completely different things.

One could make the argument that we've already abandoned wired service for voice communication.

Regulation is also a reason why they are doing it, but they have a mandate to "Never repair copper" if they can push the customer in a different direction.
This affects broadband too. Verizon is abandoning DSL when for many people DSL is their only viable broadband. Their fiber footprint is tiny compared to all the rural areas served by copper and a 1mbps DSL connection.

When Sandy came through and knocked down the copper in many areas in NY and NJ, Verizon basically said "Sucks to be you, switch to LTE broadband, we aren't putting the copper back."

ATT is another example with this DirecTV Now 5g pilot. They want to get out of the DSL game as well.

Residential fiber has basically ceased growth in the US. Without some sort of government subsidy, if you don't already have fiber at your house, you aren't likely to get it anytime soon.

Wired infrastructure is never fully going away, but it's certainly going to withdraw to high density areas only. Telcos are tired of rolling trucks to replace copper to houses that are 2 miles apart after every tornado and their solution is to replace it with wireless or nothing.

DemonMage posted:

Use "Hey Google" for the Home instead is the best option I think.

What's really odd is SOMETIMES my Pixel responds to "Hey Google" as well.

The most annoying thing about it is even though it sorts out what's answering, it leaves the assistant screen up rather than closing it out.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I just moved to a new office. Is there any way to tell Google that I'm not located 13000km when I'm sitting at my desk? I'm assuming it's basing it on Wi-Fi because there's no GPS signal but I can just move the phone 30cm and it'll give a correct location (no GPS signal either).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Regulation is also a reason why they are doing it, but they have a mandate to "Never repair copper" if they can push the customer in a different direction.
This affects broadband too. Verizon is abandoning DSL when for many people DSL is their only viable broadband. Their fiber footprint is tiny compared to all the rural areas served by copper and a 1mbps DSL connection.

When Sandy came through and knocked down the copper in many areas in NY and NJ, Verizon basically said "Sucks to be you, switch to LTE broadband, we aren't putting the copper back."

ATT is another example with this DirecTV Now 5g pilot. They want to get out of the DSL game as well.

Residential fiber has basically ceased growth in the US. Without some sort of government subsidy, if you don't already have fiber at your house, you aren't likely to get it anytime soon.

Wired infrastructure is never fully going away, but it's certainly going to withdraw to high density areas only. Telcos are tired of rolling trucks to replace copper to houses that are 2 miles apart after every tornado and their solution is to replace it with wireless or nothing.

We're in total agreement, since what I'm saying is the bold part. The thing is, about a quarter to half the country is in those high density areas, so let's not say wires are going away.

The DSL thing again is another no-brainer. Of course DSL is going away, landlines are going away and DSL is absolute dogshit. DSL is also uniquely terrible in rural areas because it's distance limited. In every way wireless is superior wireline service over existing copper landline infrastructure, both for the customer and for the provider, but again the only reason that's in the news about the non-replacement of copper after Sandy was because of landline telephone (read: non-internet) regulation.

You're not really right about fiber deployment though, though you are correct about it when looking at *just* AT&T and Verizon. Lots of smaller regional telecos are deploying at least FTTN and using existing DSL as a last mile while simultaneously providing FTTP on new construction. This might change with the incoming regulatory regime, however, since again it's telephony landline regulation that makes regional DSL less appealing on the one hand and AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/TimeWarner lobbying to outlaw municipal ISPs on the other. Depending on what ways the wind blows it could either promote or completely destroy residential fiber. Either way residential fiber still falls under the population density problem so it doesn't really apply to many people to begin with.

bull3964 posted:

The most annoying thing about it is even though it sorts out what's answering, it leaves the assistant screen up rather than closing it out.

eta: This. I hate that it doesn't go away.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 5, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wireless is superior to DSL in every way except price. It's regressive as gently caress to take away the only available broadband option for a lot of lower earning areas and tell them that they need to subscribe to service that costs 3x to 4x.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder of there might end up being a market for mid-range static infrastructure wireless techs that don't really currently exist. For use in cities and suburbs - something with the range of a few hundred metres or so, so At&T or etc can just run fibre runs to nodes which then serve only a few blocks with much higher bandwidth than a cell tower. Residential customers getting a home base station reciever router that puts out Ethernet and wifi. Exclusive frequency use for this tech, controlled and minimal signal overlap, and for denser areas, literally turn down the node broadcast range and make them denser.

A more controlled approach to chaos. Fibre to the Streetlight.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 5, 2017

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ragingsheep posted:

I just moved to a new office. Is there any way to tell Google that I'm not located 13000km when I'm sitting at my desk? I'm assuming it's basing it on Wi-Fi because there's no GPS signal but I can just move the phone 30cm and it'll give a correct location (no GPS signal either).

You can submit location corrections within maps, might take a few days for it to accepted but that's the only way

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Wireless is superior to DSL in every way except price. It's regressive as gently caress to take away the only available broadband option for a lot of lower earning areas and tell them that they need to subscribe to service that costs 3x to 4x.

That depends on what you call broadband, what you decide is mandatory for providers to offer (if anything), and where you draw the line for how poor you need to qualify.

I don't think there's a lot of ambiguity about how the incoming administration feels on any of these questions.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

bull3964 posted:

I've never seen that happen, but I do wish you could change it from "Ok Google" - My favorite thing is when the phone is locked, screen off, fingerprint and pin active I can say OK google and it wakes up and then I can just hit the home button and the phone is unlocked. I guess most pixels wouldn't recognize someone else's voice or something, but my brother can unlock my phone as we have similar sounding voices.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I find "Okay Google" to be an awkward phrase to say out loud

Is there a way to change it to something else entirely?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Duggler posted:

If you buy a Moto X (2014 or later) then you can do this. Otherwise, no.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

I have a hunch that what will happen is 5G service will have an allotment like "$50 for the first 10gb at 5G speeds, then throttled down to 3G speeds after" which will be fast enough for most people, and for those still on 1-2MB DSL even faster than what they have now

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

$50/month is still a pretty big jump for people who were likely paying less than half that for DSL.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

$50/month is still a pretty big jump for people who were likely paying less than half that for DSL.

Maybe there will be options for just 3G/4G speeds

I'm still grandfathered into Time Warner's $15/month 2Mbps down/1Mbps up plan

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Sorry.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

It's actually fine other than downloading Windows updates or game updates on Steam, which takes forever

Streaming video works fine on every website

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EugeneJ posted:

Streaming video works fine on every website

Then you're not watching HD or you're getting more than 2 Mbps.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

Then you're not watching HD or you're getting more than 2 Mbps.

2mbit is probably the lower limit for "HD" 720p streaming from youtube, netflix, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Netflix's stated requirement is 3 Mbps for SD and 5 Mbps for HD, though their minimum requirement is 0.5 Mbps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, if you have Comcast TV service, you should be used to all your "HD" being degraded to 720p.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

I've had both my phone and tablet (tablet more often) respond to just the word Google being said as people are talking on TV.

"and then Google went and did blah blah blah"
*DING!*

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Netflix's stated requirement is 3 Mbps for SD and 5 Mbps for HD, though their minimum requirement is 0.5 Mbps.

Their 720P HD stream worked ok when I was limited to 1.5-2Mbit for the most part. Better than YouTube and pretty much any other streaming service for sure.

Though going to 12/6 was a huge jump for the same drat price even through wireless (AP to a wireless tower, not 4G). The only time its iffy is when we have a storm like this past week. Rain/wind slow it down to 1-3mbit depending on how bad it is outside, but that's to be expected. Even 4G LTE gets hit.

Also of note, my GF has one of those bundled Comcast Modem/Router's that also did the Comcast WiFi Hotspot unless you dug into your account and turned it off. It was annoying as hell how with whatever she was getting (Not exactly sure but we assumed 20mbit? The account info doesn't make it clear) it would buffer and pixelate Netflix worse than when I was on 1.5Mbit DSL. Extremely annoying for what should be much faster internet.

Christmas, I replaced it with that $59 ASUS T-Mobile Router (Literally an RT-AC68U with T-Mobileized FW on it that I promptly reflashed back to an actual AC68U then put DD-WRT on with my AdBlocking software) and threw that up in her apartment. Disabled the Hotspot and enabled bridged mode on the Modem/Router and guess what, now it pulls down 50-80Mbit and Netflix is instant HD the second you turn it or anything else on. Even web browsing is immensely faster where before you actually had to wait for pages to respond to start loading from any device, now its as fast as one would expect.

Moral of the story, ISP Supplied/branded Modem/Routers suck rear end and should be replaced or at least bypassed as much as possible (Bridge Mode, make the Modem be just a Modem) as soon as possible with a known good Router.

That is one + I will give Wave when they can actually reach your house. They just give you a Surfboard Modem and a Archer C7 Router without any special branding.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 5, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Duggler posted:

Try saying "O.K. Google" instead.

EdEddnEddy posted:

That is one + I will give Wave when they can actually reach your house. They just give you a Surfboard Modem and a Archer C7 Router without any special branding.

Is that the same Wave I have? WaveG (formally CondoInternet). I just have a ethernet port in my wall. They rule. No nonsense, and the one time I had to talk to a tech they treated me like I knew what I was doing.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 5, 2017

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Moral of the story, ISP Supplied/branded Modem/Routers suck rear end and should be replaced or at least bypassed as much as possible (Bridge Mode, make the Modem be just a Modem) as soon as possible with a known good Router.
This, so hard. I have a 1Gb synchronous connection (FTTB), it's absolutely beautiful. But the router they gave me to use with it doesn't even support 11.ac Wi-Fi. Who makes these idiotic decisions?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 5, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tunga posted:

This, so hard. I have a 1Gb synchronous connection (FTTB), it's absolutely beautiful. But the router they gave me to use with it doesn't even support 11.ac Wi-Fi. Who makes these idiotic decisions?

Both an answer and a response:

:psyduck:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It can be difficult to borderline impossible to bypass ISP equipment depending on what services you have. My parents have digital voice with Comcast, so the voice gateway is integrated with the modem/router/wireless AP device.

FiOS can get difficult if you use their STBs. You have to setup your own MOCA network and even then some features (like out of home DVR access) tend to not work consistently or at all if you eliminate the ActionTech.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

Every way except latency and price. But if you don't play games, you probably wouldn't notice or care.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

Try saying "O.K. Google" instead.

Is that the same Wave I have? WaveG (formally CondoInternet). I just have a ethernet port in my wall. They rule. No nonsense, and the one time I had to talk to a tech they treated me like I knew what I was doing.

"Hey Google" works as well.

Also I am talking about Wave Broadband here in California. I think they only have a presence in CA and Oregon but don't quote me on that.

Also DSL was semi good on latency, but my Wireless has been better in every way even though it's "Wireless". I get around 11ms in West Coast stuff, and East Coast its roughly 30-50ms which is better than the 70-100 I was getting with DSL.

It does have a tiny bit of Packet Loss occasionally but not enough to affect gaming or other usage and the network seems to clear it up just fine. I can play Overwatch just fine among anything else thats fast paced.

The one thing that doesn't work is I don't get a dedicated IP so I can't stream my Plex server outside of my home network which sucks. And getting an IP cost like $20 a month which I just don't feel is worth it. Haven't run into any other issues from this yet though.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EdEddnEddy posted:

"Hey Google" works as well.

Also I am talking about Wave Broadband here in California. I think they only have a presence in CA and Oregon but don't quote me on that.

Also DSL was semi good on latency, but my Wireless has been better in every way even though it's "Wireless". I get around 11ms in West Coast stuff, and East Coast its roughly 30-50ms which is better than the 70-100 I was getting with DSL.

It does have a tiny bit of Packet Loss occasionally but not enough to affect gaming or other usage and the network seems to clear it up just fine. I can play Overwatch just fine among anything else thats fast paced.

The one thing that doesn't work is I don't get a dedicated IP so I can't stream my Plex server outside of my home network which sucks. And getting an IP cost like $20 a month which I just don't feel is worth it. Haven't run into any other issues from this yet though.

Thats better latency that I had experienced on point to point wireless or LTE service. Most of the services I have seen have been in the mid to high 100s. I know it depends on a bunch of various factors, so different people will have different experiences in different locations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Right now on LTE with my Pixel, I'm getting 38ms of latency against servers
10 miles or so away. I'm also getting 60 mbps down.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

EdEddnEddy posted:

You can just get a dns service like https://www.duckdns.org/ and use the ip updater tool. That should give you a static dns name at least.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yeah, to expand on what deong said, most people don't have a dedicated IP, they use stuff like what he mentioned. Or if you use Emby Premium instead of Plex, their clients will keep track of your dynamic ip for you I think.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Plex does that too :confused:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, I stream my Plex server outside my home network regularly, you sign into your MyPlex or whatever account and it works just fine

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea I was looking into that today and might just need to check my router config. I must be missing a port forward or something but the way this Wireless does its thing its more like I am Double Nat vs Dynamic and I have to figure out exactly how to fix that. Just eats time I already don't have is all.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

EugeneJ posted:

With my cable service I've seen steam downloads of 12MB/s.

Android content: when I replaced the visor on my 6P I seem to have broke the camera somehow. It stopped focusing properly. I lived with it until the pixel dropped, but any chance I could sell as is for like $200? Or is it not worth that anymore? It's fine other than that, as far as I remember.

Also my annoyance with OK Google is having my phone and tablet both respond. They're both signed into my account, damnit.

EdEddnEddy posted:

sence in CA and Oregon but don't quote me on that.
I think they hit Washington as well. Love um .

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 6, 2017

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ilkhan posted:

With my cable service I've seen steam downloads of 12MB/s.

Android content: when I replaced the visor on my 6P I seem to have broke the camera somehow. It stopped focusing properly. I lived with it until the pixel dropped, but any chance I could sell as is for like $200? Or is it not worth that anymore? It's fine other than that, as far as I remember.

Also my annoyance with OK Google is having my phone and tablet both respond. They're both signed into my account, damnit.

I think they hit Washington as well. Love um .

If you're upfront about it and someone wants to buy it as is, I don't see why not. There's better alternatives in that price range brand new though. I'd personally keep it as a backup or loaner for someone else.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Plex does that too :confused:

Yeah, I meant to put a parenthetical about thinking it did but not being sure, but I got busy so just posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The Huawei Mate 9 is officially for sale in the U.S. now for anyone still aching for a BigPhone. I'll be honest; I miss the hell out of my Nexus 6 and its massive screen. The camera on this thing is supposed to be pretty drat good too. It's certainly something to look at if the next wave of mid-high end phones coming out this spring are lackluster.