Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else that thinks at least as logically as it does. The easiest way to fool a completely logical robot is to feed it with the same stimulus sequence over and over again so it gets locked in a loop. This was best demonstrated by the famous Herring Sandwich experiments conducted millennia ago at MISPWOSO (the MaxiMegalon Institute of Slowly and Painfully Working Out the Surprisingly Obvious).

A robot was programmed to believe that it liked herring sandwiches. This was actually the most difficult part of the whole experiment. Once the robot had been programmed to believe that it liked herring sandwiches, a herring sandwich was placed in front of it. Where upon the robot thought to itself, Ah! A herring sandwich! I like herring sandwiches.

It would then bend over and scoop up the herring sandwich in its herring sandwich scoop, and then straighten up again. Unfortunately for the robot, it was fashioned in such a way that the action of straightening up caused the herring sandwich to slip straight back off its herring sandwich scoop and fall on to the floor in front of the robot. Whereupon the robot thought to itself, Ah! A herring sandwich...etc., and repeated the same action over and over again. The only thing that prevented the herring sandwich from getting bored with the whole drat business and crawling off in search of other ways of passing the time was that the herring sandwich, being just a bit of dead fish between a couple of slices of bread, was marginally less alert to what was going on than was the robot.

:hfive: Fits perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

china bot posted:

would

so, a reverse GunChicka

:thejoke:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

dadgummit

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Im going to revoke your internet license for flagrant disregard of internet.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Sloober posted:

Im going to revoke your internet license for flagrant disregard of internet.

my internet license was forged anyway, i'm an intergrant

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://twitter.com/tigerwang/status/832298110151823360

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Seriously, how can anyone (regardless of politics) look at the just bat poo poo hilarious and insane things that have happened in just a few weeks of this presidency and think for one second that America didn't make the best choice? Its incredible. It's like the rantings of a madman in the 80's! Russia is even involved!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Because some of us don't want to die in nuclear hellfire?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I know you're being hyperbolic, but I've encountered people that actually think that. Like Trump is more likely to launch nukes than Kennedy or Reagan were.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bill also did better. Both times.

Bush 1 is the winner of this stupid contest though. 426-111. So I guess your election doesn't predict how good a president you will be/likeliness of re-election?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Because some of us don't want to die in nuclear hellfire?

I'm okay with it. I just hope they hit somewhere close by because I'd rather it be fast than suffer the painful lovely radiation poisoning.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The Juice is loose!

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

I know you're being hyperbolic, but I've encountered people that actually think that. Like Trump is more likely to launch nukes than Kennedy or Reagan were.

To be fair, Trump is a figurative child who absolutely cannot handle any criticism whatsoever without going on a tirade.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Nuebot posted:

I'm okay with it. I just hope they hit somewhere close by because I'd rather it be fast than suffer the painful lovely radiation poisoning.

just move to a large urban area they arent going to nuke a rural area. unless we build silos under corn fields

https://thinkprogress.org/9-terrifying-things-donald-trump-has-publicly-said-about-nuclear-weapons-99f6290bc32a

poo poo like this is why people think he is gonna nuke someone. if his tiny fingers can even press the button

snergle has a new favorite as of 02:00 on Feb 17, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump as a person is more likely to launch nukes than any previous president.

Luckily, he’s buddies with Russia so there are no viable partners to engage in MAD.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

snergle posted:

unless we build silos under corn fields

Never happen.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Luckily, he’s buddies with Russia so there are no viable partners to engage in MAD.

I honestly don't know about that. I think Kennedy was probably the most likely one to do it seeing as though he had his finger over the button more than once and only Russia backing down at the last second kept it from coming down. Trump may be an idiot, but I don't think he's petty enough to literally launch the world into a nuclear holocaust without nukes coming our way or at our allies first. Once N. Korea or Iran or Pakistan gets them or uses them...then maybe.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 01:59 on Feb 17, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Solice Kirsk posted:

I honestly don't know about that. I think Kennedy was probably the most likely one to do it seeing as though he had his finger over the button more than once and only Russia backing down at the last second kept it from coming down. Trump may be an idiot, but I don't think he's petty enough to literally launch the world into a nuclear holocaust without nukes coming our way or at our allies first. Once N. Korea or Iran or Pakistan gets them or uses them...then maybe.

Do you think Trump would have handled the Cuban Missile Crisis any better, if he occupied the White House in 1962?

If “no”: that’s my point.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Trump's gonna nuke the liberal lyin media.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Dan Carlin's latest episode was about the Cuban missile crisis. The whole time he talked about it, I was imagining Trump in Kennedy's position, and it was loving terrifying.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Rough Lobster posted:

Trump's gonna nuke the liberal lyin media.

For quoting him

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Bad news about that, the Russians aren't doing MAD any more. Rather they favor "nuclear deescalation," which is basically if they start loosing a war, they'll make "limited" nuclear strikes in a attempt to force the other country to the bargaining table.
http://thebulletin.org/why-russia-calls-limited-nuclear-strike-de-escalation

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Do you think Trump would have handled the Cuban Missile Crisis any better, if he occupied the White House in 1962?

If “no”: that’s my point.

Khrushchev was the one that handled it correctly. He agreed to a public show of backing down to secretly move the entire world back from the edge. At least as far as I understand it. Maybe a history goon can enlighten us?

edit:

oh dope posted:

Dan Carlin's latest episode was about the Cuban missile crisis. The whole time he talked about it, I was imagining Trump in Kennedy's position, and it was loving terrifying.

Well never mind! I'll just listen to this.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

C.M. Kruger posted:

Bad news about that, the Russians aren't doing MAD any more. Rather they favor "nuclear deescalation," which is basically if they start loosing a war, they'll make "limited" nuclear strikes in a attempt to force the other country to the bargaining table.

Well if there's no more threat of MAD, then there's nothing at all to discourage Trump from lobbing a couple nukes when he gets the chance.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
(CNN)Ret. Vice Adm. Bob Harward has turned down President Donald Trump's offer to be national security adviser, sources told CNN Thursday.

A friend of Harward's said he was reluctant to take the job because the White House seems so chaotic. Harward called the offer a "s*** sandwich," the friend said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/16/politics/harward-says-no-to-national-security-adviser-role/index.html

To clarify: this is not an Onion article.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
But Trump has such a comprehensive grasp of the science and political ramifications of nuclear power and weapons!

https://twitter.com/readerer/status/832303185826033664

:negative:

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Solice Kirsk posted:

Khrushchev was the one that handled it correctly. He agreed to a public show of backing down to secretly move the entire world back from the edge. At least as far as I understand it. Maybe a history goon can enlighten us?

From what I learned from Hardcore History, Khrushchev started building secret nuclear missile sites in Cuba without support from his government because the USSR was worried about US missile sites in nearby NATO countries. Cuba also wanted the nukes because gently caress the US, let's blow them up.

Khrushchev brought the world to the brink of nuclear war, and then Kennedy had to very carefully convince him to stop doing that by putting a naval blockade on Cuba once he found out what was going on. To his credit, Khrushchev stood down when he saw the jig was up.

It's waaaaay more complicated than that of course, so do yourself a favor and check out the latest Hardcore History.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mr Havafap posted:

(CNN)Ret. Vice Adm. Bob Harward has turned down President Donald Trump's offer to be national security adviser, sources told CNN Thursday.

A friend of Harward's said he was reluctant to take the job because the White House seems so chaotic. Harward called the offer a "s*** sandwich," the friend said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/16/politics/harward-says-no-to-national-security-adviser-role/index.html

To clarify: this is not an Onion article.

You can't print that! Where did they print that?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4jGEgzkJs
33 seconds

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
he Washington Supreme Court ruled unanimously Thursday that a florist who refused to provide services for a same-sex wedding broke the state’s anti-discrimination law, even though she claimed doing so would violate her religious beliefs.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

C.M. Kruger posted:

I experience schadenfreude every time someone confuses "loose" and "lose."

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohVFVXwN4M

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oh dope posted:

From what I learned from Hardcore History, Khrushchev started building secret nuclear missile sites in Cuba without support from his government because the USSR was worried about US missile sites in nearby NATO countries. Cuba also wanted the nukes because gently caress the US, let's blow them up.

Khrushchev brought the world to the brink of nuclear war, and then Kennedy had to very carefully convince him to stop doing that by putting a naval blockade on Cuba once he found out what was going on. To his credit, Khrushchev stood down when he saw the jig was up.

It's waaaaay more complicated than that of course, so do yourself a favor and check out the latest Hardcore History.

Kennedy started it by flexing nuts and putting nukes in Turkey which was really threatening to the USSR.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

oh dope posted:

And, I believe it was a young John McCain who saw the satellite/spy plane photos of the missiles on the barges and forced his superiors to recognise what was going on.

If he hadn't pushed the issue, the US wouldn't have known about them until they were all in place and that's a scary loving thought.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I got u fam:

After the end of World War II, the world was split into two -- East and West. This marked the beginning of the era called the Cold War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmtvTJSygcY&t=390s
edit: video is timestamped to start at the relevant bit.

Takes No Damage has a new favorite as of 04:35 on Feb 17, 2017

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

From 1992-2011 or so I'd wondered why the USSR had to back down over Cuba (and not the US over Germany/Turkey), until finding out that the US agreed to also remove theirs and just not admit it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

syscall girl posted:

Kennedy started it by flexing nuts and putting nukes in Turkey which was really threatening to the USSR.

And Italy. And tried to invade Cuba.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

C.M. Kruger posted:

thats loving terrifying because they have been annexy with the former sattelites. They could easily end up in a losing war. If I was the us president I would make my position if anyone uses nukes i'm nuking you. To try to scare people into not using theirs. Although truth be told when it came time I would probably not press the button even they nuked us at least some of humanity lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧