Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

Schama was taken to task for focusing on the lurid stuff - guillotining and the like - without mentioning any of the positive outcomes of the revolution.

For Thirty Years War, I've always had a soft spot for Geoffrey Parker's book because he mentions an old SPI wargame in the bibliography.

Considering just how much of a bloody mess the revolution was it is not surprising that the focus was on how bad it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cessna posted:

Schama was taken to task for focusing on the lurid stuff - guillotining and the like - without mentioning any of the positive outcomes of the revolution.

For Thirty Years War, I've always had a soft spot for Geoffrey Parker's book because he mentions an old SPI wargame in the bibliography.

Didn’t know Tho. Jefferson himself posted here

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hunt11 posted:

Considering just how much of a bloody mess the revolution was it is not surprising that the focus was on how bad it was.

I feel that the extent of The Terror is usually exaggerated. There were 'just' about 16,000 executions total by revolutionary tribunals with the vast majority of those killed being people who rose up in armed revolt as part of the Federalist Uprisings.

I don't think the massacres in the Vendee are technically the Terror. That was outright scorched earth war.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

In conclusion, France is a land of contrasts

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr Enderby posted:

Divorce was basically impossible without proof of adultery until 1969. The standard procedure up till then was for the man to hire a room at a hotel, with a prostitute. At an agreed time, two members of staff, who had been paid off ahead of time, would enter and witness the couple in bed. They could then testify in court and you got a relatively trouble-free divorce. If you couldn't get the staff on board, you could hire private detectives to do the same. This isn't some fringe thing. Lots of novels from the period describe this procedure as if it were fairly common.

Before the mid-19th century, it was basically impossible to get divorced, without an act of parliament (though ecclesiastical courts could provide annulments). There was a very widespread idea in the 18th century that you could break up a marriage by the man publicly selling his wife. This had no basis in law, but was apparently commonly practiced and tolerated. In 1744 the 2nd Duke of Chandos bought an ostler's wife for half a crown, though the practice was generally more common among the lower orders.

Lol, there's a segment in the Aubrey/Maturin novels where one of the sailors buys a wife. Of course its a scam and she takes the money and runs back to her husband after he goes back out to sea.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mayor of Casterbridge is a great book if you're into wife selling fiction.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

Very few people do this actually! They get "is it correct" and "is it important," but loving MISS "do i sound like a goddamn computer wrote this"

Especially where history overlaps with sociology if I recall.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How about The Oxford History of the French Revolution?

There's also a People's History of the French Revolution but at quick glance that seems to be really skewed to being overwhelming positive about everything.

:france:

Ghetto Prince fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 28, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ghetto Prince posted:

Really? What about batshit crazy stuff like Jean-Baptiste Carrier and the Vendee war? Or do they just gloss over the terror?

this will restart the Communism Discussions, but there are people that love that poo poo, or gloss over it as justified

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Hunt11 posted:

I don't disagree. I was passing along why it was criticized, not endorsing the criticism.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There's certainly a lot of stuff that gets glossed over as justified in this thread.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel that the extent of The Terror is usually exaggerated. There were 'just' about 16,000 executions total by revolutionary tribunals with the vast majority of those killed being people who rose up in armed revolt as part of the Federalist Uprisings.

I don't think the massacres in the Vendee are technically the Terror. That was outright scorched earth war.

Well there's certainly revolutions that put more people in the ground, but that's still not a number to sneeze at. The French themselves certainly resented it enough to give Robespierre the axe and have some of the other organizers of the terror killed as well.

And while the vendee massacres are technically a separate thing, that still boils down to a whole hell of a lot of people being killed by the same governing body.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very moreish thing, the guillotine.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Revolutions podcast with Mike Duncan was pretty good on the French revolution I thought.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well there's certainly revolutions that put more people in the ground, but that's still not a number to sneeze at. The French themselves certainly resented it enough to give Robespierre the axe and have some of the other organizers of the terror killed as well.

And while the vendee massacres are technically a separate thing, that still boils down to a whole hell of a lot of people being killed by the same governing body.

The Vendeeists were reactionary scum that deserved it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Throatwarbler posted:

The Revolutions podcast with Mike Duncan was pretty good on the French revolution I thought.

Yeah, I''d have to go with that as a recommendation. Not a book, but it gets the job done!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GUNS posted:

this will restart the Communism Discussions, but there are people that love that poo poo, or gloss over it as justified

Panzeh posted:

The Vendeeists were reactionary scum that deserved it.

there we go

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is Mike Duncan generally thread-approved? I enjoy his podcast and I bought his book but if he was horribly biased and discredited or something I'd never know unless a bunch of historians told me

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I dunno if reading this twitter will teach anyone anything new about ww2, but it seems worth keeping an eye on if you like possibly weird snippets of history.

Like check out this dude: https://twitter.com/RealTimeWWII/status/910463817817059328

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also, if anybody's interested in testing the outer limits of :justpost:, while I was home for thanksgiving I found my grandpa's day-by-day war diary. He served in WWII as a plane-spotter in the pacific on an island that never saw action (or if it did, not while he was there; I can't recall the name).

I thumbed through it briefly but it was so brittle I didn't want to transport it but now I realize that phones have cameras so I can just foreverize it that way when I go back for christmas. He seemed to make daily entries for his entire period of service but from what I saw it was a lot of "we had/didn't have inspection/training today". One entry was literally "no inspection so just laid around all day." I also found a letter home written by him in which he expressed that he missed his dog, whose name was n-word. You know, it was a different era I guess

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Yeah, nobody realizes how much of Star Wars Lucas took from The Dam Busters. Dog had the same name, so the film basically vanished.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Very moreish thing, the guillotine.

Once you chop, you can't stop!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ithle01 posted:

The situation in Algeria was really hosed up at the time. In addition to what Tekopo said there wasn't going to be a solution that was mutually acceptable to the Algerians and to the French. Even de Gaulle realized that any victory was pyrric at best and he would talk in private about how winning meant almost ten million Muslim Algerians voting in French elections - something he found unpalatable. The legacy of over a hundred years of imperialism wasn't going to vanish in one generation and during the war the French and French-Algerians were no strangers to war crimes against the Algerian population. Any chance of winning their trust was dead before the war even started and only got worse as the atrocities mounted. Check out the Phillipsville massacre or the FLN narrative of the Million-and-a-Half Martyrs and then reconcile that alongside attempts to establish liberal democracy through infrastructure or cultural education. The FLN didn't win Algeria by being a military threat to France, they won by keeping their leadership out the country, eliminating all the other Algerian rivals for a post-war government, and refusing to lose first.

There's also the possibility that COIN just doesn't work.

COIN can work but if it is just being used as cover to avoid politics the government is in serious trouble. Many insurgencies make the mistake of assuming they can terrorize the people into taking their side, only to pushing them into the arms of the state. This is one reason the FLN won the Algerian Civil War in the 1990s, their opponents lost the support of the people by being too brutal and too stringent in their Islamism, alienating the urban middle class.

This conversation reminds of one a scene from Godard's 1967 film La Chinoise, about the trend toward radical Maoist philosophy sweeping France in the late 1960s. In this scene, one member of a revolutionary cell confesses her plans for revolution to her philosophy professor Francis Jeanson, played by the man himself. Jeanson, who in the fifties had been convicted of high treason for funneling money to the FLN, points out that nobody besides a few ideologues is going to be particularly thrilled by her plan to shut down the Universities via a terror campaign. I find the scene prophetic; the future tactics of the Red Army Faction and Red Brigade seem little better planned than those depicted in La Chinoise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0r0x7y4lok

Civil wars are not like tea parties. If you don't have a good plan you are going to lose whether you are the government or the insurgent. The Social War of the Roman Republic seems like the best model to follow in my opinion. The Roman's Italian allies rebelled because they were denied any possibility of citizenship. The Romans gave citizenship to everyone that didn't rebel, crushed those who were intransigent, and then within a few years gave citizenship even to those citizens that had rebelled. If you can't make any political compromise you best be prepared for a forever war like Israel in the Palestinian territories or India in Kashmir because those situations are going to be your best case scenario.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 29, 2017

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Squalid posted:

Civil wars are not like tea parties. If you don't have a good plan you are going to lose whether you are the government or the insurgent. The Social War of the Roman Republic seems like the best model to follow in my opinion. The Roman's Italian allies rebelled because they were denied any possibility of citizenship. The Romans gave citizenship to everyone that didn't rebel, crushed those who were intransigent, and then within a few years gave citizenship even to those citizens that had rebelled. If you can't make any political compromise you best be prepared for a forever war like Israel in the Palestinian territories or India in Kashmir because those situations are going to be your best case scenario.

I agree with you and the Social War is a good example. Obviously, counter-insurgencies can work because humans have been fighting asymmetrical wars for thousands of years, but the question is whether the specific COIN doctrine developed by the French and United States in the 20th century is the remedy to modern insurgency. And if it is, can we actually implement it without undermining it at the same time.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
With my username, you can probably guess how most of my arguments are going to go.
Firstly, the great terror lasted a couple years, and resulted in less than 20 thousand deaths directly. More died in the Vendee, of course, and the other wars against royalists. The repression after the Paris Commune in 1870 saw 10 thousand or 20 thousand killed in a week.
But greater minds than mine have already raised this argument, and it plays well into my argument against anti-communists. Always the cry of how bloody the revolution is, how unnecessary and cruel. If you are arguing against communism, you must be arguing for something else. Is it the status quo? Or some other nebulous future? It's far easier to pick out flaws in someone else's argument than argue the merits of your own.
As Mark Twain said,
"“THERE were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; the one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; the one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; the one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions; but our shudders are all for the “horrors” of the minor Terror, the momentary Terror, so to speak; whereas, what is the horror of swift death by the axe, compared with lifelong death from hunger, cold, insult, cruelty, and heart-break? What is swift death by lightning compared with death by slow fire at the stake? A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves.”
To argue against communism because it is bloody is to support thousand dying daily of starvation while we grow enough food, to support people dying of easily preventable diseases, to support millions of lives of want and deprivation so that some may have all the best things in life. Even if you don't care for the suffering of others, the reckless hunt for higher quarterly profits has seen our environment destroyed, CO2 levels rising to the point that some scientists think is irreversible and could prevent people from strenous activity for more than a few minutes in 20 years time, precious water contaminated for cheaper gas (for corporations, the average person still pays more at the pump), all to see the bank accounts of billionaires have a couple more zeroes.
The French revolution was bloody, no doubt. How many countries invaded France after they deposed the king? They killed him after he made an escape attempt towards enemy lines. How many countries invaded the burgeoning Soviet Union, after wrapping up that small world war? The revolution would be a tea party if the powerful were willing to make sacrifices to benefit everyone, but that seems unlikely since that reluctance is why they're powerful.
As for COIN, the reasons it often fails is because it requires that you benefit the lives of the same people the resistance is aspiring to. Independence often resulted from a insurgency, as the colonialists didn't want to turn over power to the insurgents but had to change an untenable situation. I've often thought it funny that COIN manuals argue for the improvement of the material conditions of the affected population and greater political rights as a way of separating the population from the insurgents, while this is exactly what the insurgents are trying to do! But they are afraid of people who take their just reward, rather than wait meekly for it to be awarded them. The slow march of progress that hasn't been bloody tends to be when the powerful are so afraid of losing all their power than they part with a small part of it to maintain the rest. What's more, history shows us that concessions tend to only further radicalise the population's demands. You can see why the school of america's graduates prefer just killing all the villagers.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ithle01 posted:

I agree with you and the Social War is a good example. Obviously, counter-insurgencies can work because humans have been fighting asymmetrical wars for thousands of years, but the question is whether the specific COIN doctrine developed by the French and United States in the 20th century is the remedy to modern insurgency. And if it is, can we actually implement it without undermining it at the same time.

Fair point, however I think popular discussion of these issues is sometimes hampered by narrow focus on a few exceptional cases like the Vietnam war. Most insurgencies are small and rarely studied by anyone but a few eccentrics like me, for example Egypt's Nile Delta conflict of the 1990s. Insurgents who lose are easily forgotten, which can leave us with a skewed perspective on the possibility of defeating them.

Though direct involvement was minimal, the United States trained and advised many allied governments in various COIN tactics. The defeat of the tupamaros in Uruguay in the seventies is often held up as an ideal example of how the state can win these wars. More neglected are the conflicts in El Salvador and Guatemala, though perhaps we shouldn't try to take too many lessons from cases in which victory was achieved through genocide.

I guess I just see the hand-wringing over tactics as pointless. The tactics that exist today are actually pretty good, they just aren't miraculous. France couldn't have won in Algeria by shuffling its troops around differently or being more/less atrocity prone. That makes a difference when you're fighting small organizations too radical to gain popular support or whose support in concentrated in small minority groups. Big civil conflicts though almost always start and persist because of political failings, and politicians demand militaries deliver miracles that will obviate the need to make hard political choices. Politicians like to be seen "bombing the poo poo" out of enemies, they don't like being seen bribing them, or pardoning them, or inviting them into government. It's that weakness that makes COIN hopeless, though I guess that's what you mean about not being able to avoid undermining the implementation.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Squalid posted:

though perhaps we shouldn't try to take too many lessons from cases in which victory was achieved through genocide.
"Kill them all and let God sort them out" is one way to win a war, yes.

I find COIN fascinating because what works in a good COIN operation is not at all what an army needs to do when fighting a conventional enemy and vice versa. Something like a strategic bombing campaign works great when fighting an enemy with factories and power plants which are all legitimate military targets you can blow up to have an objective measure of how well the war is going for you, but not so much when the enemy is a few dudes in a village and you cant hit them without killing an innocent person, which turns the population against you and also how do you measure the effectiveness of a strategic bombing campaign against guys who have no uniforms, possible foreign support from neutral powers that you cant touch and are all blended into the local population? Kill counts? Because that sure as poo poo didn't end well for anyone involved. On the other hand you can't fight a conventional power by sending out patrols, building infrastructure, always assuming you will have overwhelming aerial superiority to let you run CAS with impunity etc. I love reading about COIN because it seems counterintuitive to how a war is normally fought but the socioeconomic side seems like common sense, its just hard to build one while also killing people.

Also it's weird how two threads I read are talking about COIN now, forgot this wasn't the Cold War thread for a second.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
stop making GBS threads up the best thread on the forums with your "jokes" about how great it is to murder everyone who disagrees with you

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This is the military history thread.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Squalid posted:

Fair point, however I think popular discussion of these issues is sometimes hampered by narrow focus on a few exceptional cases like the Vietnam war. Most insurgencies are small and rarely studied by anyone but a few eccentrics like me, for example Egypt's Nile Delta conflict of the 1990s. Insurgents who lose are easily forgotten, which can leave us with a skewed perspective on the possibility of defeating them.

Though direct involvement was minimal, the United States trained and advised many allied governments in various COIN tactics. The defeat of the tupamaros in Uruguay in the seventies is often held up as an ideal example of how the state can win these wars. More neglected are the conflicts in El Salvador and Guatemala, though perhaps we shouldn't try to take too many lessons from cases in which victory was achieved through genocide.

I guess I just see the hand-wringing over tactics as pointless. The tactics that exist today are actually pretty good, they just aren't miraculous. France couldn't have won in Algeria by shuffling its troops around differently or being more/less atrocity prone. That makes a difference when you're fighting small organizations too radical to gain popular support or whose support in concentrated in small minority groups. Big civil conflicts though almost always start and persist because of political failings, and politicians demand militaries deliver miracles that will obviate the need to make hard political choices. Politicians like to be seen "bombing the poo poo" out of enemies, they don't like being seen bribing them, or pardoning them, or inviting them into government. It's that weakness that makes COIN hopeless, though I guess that's what you mean about not being able to avoid undermining the implementation.

Once again I basically agree with you on all points and that's exactly what I meant by undermining our own counter-insurgency efforts. I'm also well aware of the Central American insurgencies, but not well read on them beyond the usual stuff about death squads.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Schama in citizens relies on the methodologically unsound premise that the revolution could have unfolded in a nonviolent way while using as evidence of this revolutions that unfolded in violent ways. It's goofy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The best way to do COIN is to be a functioning liberal democracy.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, it really does make it easier to justify genocide. Admittedly, so does Soviet style socialism.

Not happening to me, done for the greater good, now let's get started...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I can't feel too much sympathy for France being invaded during the French Revolution as in order to unite the people, they were quite happy to declare war on Austria first. That war was most likely inevitable but it is hard to claim moral high ground if you start declaring preemptive wars.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

my dad posted:

That was going to be my post.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
The difficulty with Schama is that he shares 0 commonplace methodological assumptions with most modern historians. He believes his primary job is to tell 'a good story'. He promotives narrative. He eschews objectivity. He makes moral judgements. He refutes materialism entirely. He is essentially a historian who writes as if nothing changed in the historical method between 1945 and the present.

quote:

My principal criticism, however, concerns the first quarter of the book,
where Schama deals with the Old Regime. Relying heavily on Guy
Chaussinand-Nogaret and Pierre Léon, Schama draws a very favorable
picture of the French economy in the eighteenth century and of French
society in general. The Old Regime, he tells us, was dynamic, even
"modernizing," the nobility was on the whole enlightened and even
entrepreneurial, the seigneurial system was in "rags and tatters" (p. 319)
privilege was eroding, a new amalgam of notables and landlords was already
forming, and even agriculture registered an annual growth rate of 1.9 percent
( pace Morineau). Since Schama has decided at the outset that "structural"
causes of the French Revolution are negligible, if not wrong-headed, he sees
no need to discuss such matters as the distribution of wealth, rents, prices,
wages, or the village community and its relations with seigneur, church, and
crown. That Georges Lefebvre spent a lifetime demonstrating that the
French Revolution was also a peasant revolution (and not simply another
jacquerie) seems forgotten or irrelevant.

Schama accepts uncritically the Tocqueville-Furet view that the Old Regime
was not only economically prosperous, but also socially viable and well
equipped with qualified technicians and enlightened administrators. How
could a major revolution occur in such a prosperous and modernizing
society? Human blunder and national hubris leading to national bankruptcy
was part of it, suggests Schama. But deeper down was a hostile popular
reaction to modernization, reminiscent of Iran under the Shah (my analogy).
This is an interesting thesis, though not entirely new of course. But it
deserves development and may tell us about "citizen peasants," surely
culturally distinct from the Parisian sans-culottes and twenty times more
numerous. As Peter Jones has recently written, the French peasantry was a
massive and diverse group. Not all of them were Vendéens fighting for
"Church and Crown." Nor were they all prone to compulsive violence; the
assault on the châteaux in the summer of 1789 took very few lives.

quote:

Robespierre used to chide his moderate opponents of « wanting a revolution
without a revolution. » Simon Schama wants no revolution at all. In « sha-
king off the mythology of the revolution » (see the interview by Mervyn Roth-
stein in The New York Times, April 27, 1989), Schama has created his own
mythology. He admits that he does not believe in « pure objectivity » -
what historian does? But the reader has the right to expect of him a fair
treatment of the revolutionaries in the real circumstances of a profound social
and political crisis. Unfortunately, as Thomas Paine said of Edmund Burke,
« He pities the plumage, but forgets the dying bird. »

Schama sees the Revolution as a series of scandalous events. In this respect
his narrative is a sensational story. He seldom looks at the events from the
revolutionaries' point of view and never with sympathy for them. Instead,
he judges the movement from the victims' outlooik. But the latter are not the
Girondins, Enragés, Hébertistes, or Jacobins of the Left, but, rather, the Males-
herbes, the Neckers, and the Talleyrands. In addition, his book is badly skewed.
The text is 875 pages long, but the fall of the Bastille does not begin until
page 369. Part IV, entitled « Virtue and Death », which covers the most
important, and, in some respects, the most meaningful developments for our
own times, is a mere 170 pages. Yet, this portion attempts to recite the
dramatic events from the winter of 1793 through the fall of Robespierre in the
summer of 1794. He has little to say on Robespierre and the Great Committees,
and nothing but an « Epilogue » after 9 Thermidor. As for his view on revo-
lutions in general, he writes that « asking for the impossible is a good defi-
nition of a revolution. » (p. 322). This tells us more about the author's approach,
however, than it does about his subject.

Let us examine the text in more detail. Schama, like so many of his « revi-
sionist » contemporaries, never doubts that the Old Regime was « modern », or
« bourgeois », but that in any case, it was no longer feudal. Yet, there are nu-
merous references to the seigneurial system, to feudal dues, to labor obligations
(corvées), and to other traditional feudal exactions throughout his text. (See,
for example, pp. 433, 434, 435, 437, and the feudal priveleges surrendered on
August 4, 1789 by the National Assembly, p. 438). He quotes with approval a
conservative French historian, Guy Chaussinand-Nogaret that « a noble was
nothing more than a successful bourgeois », (p. 116), then contradicts himself
by writing that « The one thing the Constituent Assembly was manifestly not
was bourgeois. » (p. 478, his emphasis). But if the Assembly was not bourgeois
it must have been noble. (We can assume it is not necessary to demonstrate
that it was not sans-culotte or peasant). Still, how could it have been noble
when, according to him, a noble was only a bourgeois?

Moreover, he ignores Louis XVI 's famous speech three weeks before the
fall of the Bastille (23 June 1789). « All property without exception », said the
king, « shall be respected at all times, and His Majesty expressly includes under
the name of property the tithes... feudal and seigneurial rights and duties [my
emphasis], and, in general, all rights and prerogatives, useful or honorary, connec-
ted with lands and fiefs, or appertaining to persons. » Yet, Schama would have
us believe that the Old Regime was « bourgeois. »

Unlike many historians who find the Old Regime full of archaic and irra-
tional customs and practices (see Montesquieu's The Persian Letters as an
example), Schama argues that the French elite « was fluid and heterogenous »,
(p. 117), that the term « Old Regime » is a misnomer (p. 118), and that at the
very heart of this elite was « a capitalist nobility » (p. 118). He is convinced
that « a literary conspiracy » existed, which he calls « the Figaro syndrome »
ignored by modern historians, that helped bring down the misnamed Old Regime
by people who did nat really understand the ideas they were promulgating (p. 175).
And in a complete reversal of the many studies done on Louis XVI, Schama sees
him as « lively » (not at all phlegmatic), and concerned with public business
(p. 188).

quote:

The immense outpouring of works occasioned by the bicentenary of the French
Revolution-many of them devoted to criticizing the event while celebrating its two
hundredth anniversary-has begun to subside and to be succeeded by its "echo effect,"
a critical reconsideration of the historical literature it has produced. The reevaluation
of the influential contributions of Franqois Furet, for example, has in itself become a
minor genre in the historiography of the Revolution.' This essay is intended as a
contribution to critical reflections on the recent literature with reference to the phe-
nomenally successful narrative history of the Revolution by Simon Schama.
Schama's blockbuster has enjoyed a mixed response from academic historians -
not always, I suspect, for avowable reasons. It is a best-seller that is fun to read,
written by someone who has published on the period but has not been a lifetime
toiler in the vineyards of the Revolution. Not one of the familiar authorities but a
specialist in Dutch history has turned out the big book of the bicentenary that will
grace the coffee tables of the upper-middlebrow reading public.
But Schama's Citizens is considerably more than a well-written retelling of a
familiar tale crafted to the taste of the literate public. Its subtitle, A Chronicle of
the French Revolution, scarcely does it justice. Celebrated as a "work of rare
brilliance" and as "an intelligent book for intelligent readers that is also a delight
to read," it has been received in some quarters as something like the authorized
version of the Revolution.2 Therefore it deserves serious critical consideration.

Schama says both that his narrative "does not pretend to dispassion" and that
it is "offered more as witness than judgment." 3 It is, in fact, a strongly argued
interpretation of the revolutionary era that has taken the revisionist line at full
tide.4 Methodologically, it reflects the pervasive influence of the linguistic tum,
promising in its preface an emphasis on "revolutionary utterance." The promise
is certainly fulfilled in Schama's representation of the Revolution by way of
political discourse and symbols of ritual and ceremony.
In this essay I will argue that it is not Schama's conclusions that are most
vulnerable to criticism (although I disagree with many of them) but the manner in
which he supports them- that is, through the tendentious manipulation of sources
and the facile disposal of alternate interpretations that demand consequential
refutation.

Recent contributors to the venerable controversy over narrative as an intellec-
tually reputable mode of historical discourse have criticized an excessive
distinction between narrative and "problem-oriented" history.5 The strongest
version of this criticism recognizes no such distinction: inevitably, as in all
historical writing, what is ordinarily called narrative embodies some sort of
explanation as well as the values and interpretive perspectives of the historian.
To a considerable extent Schama's interpretive perspective is integral to his
narrative. It is conveyed by rhetorical effect, by emphasis and exclusion, by the
mining of a wide range of primary sources for the telling anecdote and the
evocative vignette, by the ingenious selection of appropriate illustrations-but
also by argument, in the conventional sense of posing and refuting other
interpretations. Therefore an evaluation of such a work will tend to shift its
grounds according to the form of discourse selected by the author. I have chosen
three issues central to Schama's reading of the Revolution that entail somewhat
different critical perspectives.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Hunt11 posted:

I can't feel too much sympathy for France being invaded during the French Revolution as in order to unite the people, they were quite happy to declare war on Austria first. That war was most likely inevitable but it is hard to claim moral high ground if you start declaring preemptive wars.

I just don't understand the level of the hate and fear the Parisians had for Austria. I think some of the French had Cato levels of feelings for the Hapsburgs, and I have no idea how it got that far beyond normal rivalry and nationalism.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

That was an interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

golden bubble posted:

I just don't understand the level of the hate and fear the Parisians had for Austria. I think some of the French had Cato levels of feelings for the Hapsburgs, and I have no idea how it got that far beyond normal rivalry and nationalism.

Louis and Austria were in cahoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

my dad posted:

To be fair, you can also fight wars against people who agree with you, but not enough.