Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
That's because they know there is a special place in hell for people that play mines Abathur. Talk about taking an already extremely annoying hero to the next level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

AtillatheBum posted:

That's because they know there is a special place in hell for people that play mines Abathur. Talk about taking an already extremely annoying hero to the next level.

Outside of stuff like medivh using dust of appearance no joke the most effective counterplay I've seen to my mines is "wait until all my other team members are far away on the minimap, then charge in as a big group and just bust all the mines at once with their face before running off to heal"

It's really funny to watch and bloats my hero damage massively (top hero damage aba!) but there's the one trick mines aba doesn't want you to know. Once you've done that it's not too hard to check the key area periodically to catch whatever mines are being put down to reseed it, and mines aba isn't all that effective outside of locking down some particularly valuable area/path which most maps will only have 1 or 2 of

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

ninjewtsu posted:

Outside of stuff like medivh using dust of appearance no joke the most effective counterplay I've seen to my mines is "wait until all my other team members are far away on the minimap, then charge in as a big group and just bust all the mines at once with their face before running off to heal"

It's really funny to watch and bloats my hero damage massively (top hero damage aba!) but there's the one trick mines aba doesn't want you to know. Once you've done that it's not too hard to check the key area periodically to catch whatever mines are being put down to reseed it, and mines aba isn't all that effective outside of locking down some particularly valuable area/path which most maps will only have 1 or 2 of

"Map Awareness" is a skill that is important in just about any MOBA on any character. With Abathur, you absolutely need Map Awareness to do well, but you also need a different skill that is only really useful to Aba. You need Concrete Map Knowledge.

Mines build can be good and effective, but on top of Map Awareness and playing mind games with the enemy team, you also need to know Where And Why It Is Good To Place Mines. It's a rote skill and once you know how to do it you can do it right every single time, but it's like a weird solo minigame inside of HOTS and I have seen several Abathurs that take all the mine skills and just plop them down like wherever man who cares.

Also, if the enemy team is purposely hunting your mines and trying to stop you from placing them, I loving HOPE the rest of your team is pushing an undefended lane instead of just faffing about passively soaking XP in a lane that has no enemy heroes. If the enemy team is clustered somewhere and you don't think you can win a teamfight, PUSH EVERYTHING AND MAKE THEM SPLIT UP TO DEFEND.

It all comes back to Map Awareness. You can have exceptional Map Awareness and place great Aba mines, but if the rest of your team has a Post-It note over their minimap and can only see what is happening within their hero-centered screen you are basically doing nothing and how did you even end up playing Abathur in a match like this? I am very sorry for your lots.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Is there any point even learning anything when the Matchmaker is the MVP in so many games? Just game after game with wonderful lineups like ‘No healers, but we’ll put Muradin & Raynor on one team so one side has sustain’ or ‘No tanks, and we’ll give one side a bunch of peel options but not the other’

It leads to games being visibly lost at the load screen in both directions, and I can only assume it’s endemic to the pool being small enough now it has to to avoid massive queues.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

There really isn't a point to tryharding this game outside of making people angry because you outplayed them.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Kith posted:

There really isn't a point to tryharding this game outside of making people angry because you outplayed them.

I loving love that about this terrible game I've blown over 5k games in.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kith posted:

I tryhard in AI games because it makes the blue fire on my HUD and then at the end I get MVP and people upvote me

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Shockeh posted:

Is there any point even learning anything when the Matchmaker is the MVP in so many games? Just game after game with wonderful lineups like ‘No healers, but we’ll put Muradin & Raynor on one team so one side has sustain’ or ‘No tanks, and we’ll give one side a bunch of peel options but not the other’

It leads to games being visibly lost at the load screen in both directions, and I can only assume it’s endemic to the pool being small enough now it has to to avoid massive queues.

Wouldn’t be surprised. I ended up in a match with two ETCs which I never see outside of new hero releases. Sunday morning HOTS, you so crazy

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Ha, I casually had a half hour, so booted the game.

No healers either side, one side has Muradin/Imperious/Raynor/Orphea. gently caress me.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

sounds like they did

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
This is probably like the 8th time I've mentioned this, but the queue algorithm for QM is super weird about healing support.

You can queue solo or as a group with no heals, and you will be queued into a match with no heals (sometimes on both sides!)

If you queue solo or as a group and pick a healer, you are almost 100% guaranteed to have another healer put on your team.

I have no idea how the matchmaking code works but it seems really silly in practice.

One time I got goofy with my friends and queued as 4 support. The algorithm gave us a fifth support hero. We won because my support hero was Zarya and she can do big sustained DPS with a whole team behind her to keep it going.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
The spout of new heroes has tapered down to a tiny drip. Who even knows if/when we will get a new one?

What Blizzard character would you love to see as a hero? They've covered a lot of characters/lore but there are still things missing. My vote is the same as this ancient post of mine:

WITCHCRAFT posted:

a D2 assassin would be really fun. Teleport kick, mind blast, lightning sentry. Summon shadow as ult. Talents let you pick up burst of speed or fade as active castables.

Teleport kick, mind blast, and lightning sentry would all fit really well as MOBA skills. Talents letting you pick Burst of Speed or Fade as short term buffs would fit in perfectly. For the ult, I think Summon Shadow is obvious, but I don't know what the alternate ult would be.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i would like to see gabriel tosh. i even made a design for him, once upon a time

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Isn't there one more Diablo angel? Love their designs.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I'm still not sure if Hogger was really planned in advance or if they just took the Gnoll creep from War3 and slapped some moves on him in response to an angry and abandoned playerbase

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Isn't there one more Diablo angel? Love their designs.

Itherael, yes.

Elephunk posted:

I'm still not sure if Hogger was really planned in advance or if they just took the Gnoll creep from War3 and slapped some moves on him in response to an angry and abandoned playerbase

Hogger is the last of the Heroes that have been planned months or years in advance. I can promise you that they didn't push out a hero release to try to appease their players - that would require giving a poo poo, and Blizzard definitely has other things to worry about right now.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Lilith would be a clear choice for a D4 tie-in but I doubt there will be anymore added to the game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kith posted:

There are no Free To Play Heroes in HOTS this week.

Not a single one.

game healthy

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
steve is out this week and forgot to schedule it, and no one else at ABK has the password, anywhooo see you all in the nexus

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
well labor day hots sure is interesting! I got my first golden MVP today playing Chen of all things in Quickmatch.

does MMR happen on a per-hero basis or something? I'm usually super bad at Chen, but the enemy team didn't have anything to interrupt me while i drank my barrel full of High Life and were generally playing really bad. like, "Deathwing repeatedly using Cataclysm to dive our towers and dying" kind of bad.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

cmdrk posted:

well labor day hots sure is interesting! I got my first golden MVP today playing Chen of all things in Quickmatch.

does MMR happen on a per-hero basis or something? I'm usually super bad at Chen, but the enemy team didn't have anything to interrupt me while i drank my barrel full of High Life and were generally playing really bad. like, "Deathwing repeatedly using Cataclysm to dive our towers and dying" kind of bad.

mmr works how you would expect, but the quickmatch population is so anemic that the matchmaker doesn't know what the gently caress half the time

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kith posted:

mmr works how you would expect, but the quickmatch population is so anemic that the matchmaker doesn't know what the gently caress half the time

I used to think queuing for CS:GO and waiting 10-20 minutes for a match was hell. The real hell is when you wait 5 min and then the algorithm says "gently caress IT WE'LL DO IT LIVE" and gives you a truly random assortment of 9 other players and a ban/pick screen.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i'm being dead serious when i say ARAM has better matchmaking because it at least somewhat encourages balanced team compositions

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

QM has serious balance issues because it avoids duplicate heroes at a higher priority than any other criteria, meaning if you don't pick this patches' OP hero the other team will have it.

Also last night I had an SL teammate who was like 3-7 and gold 1 :psyduck:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Pedestrian Xing posted:

QM has serious balance issues because it avoids duplicate heroes at a higher priority than any other criteria, meaning if you don't pick this patches' OP hero the other team will have it.

Also last night I had an SL teammate who was like 3-7 and gold 1 :psyduck:

That really says something about the number of players in queue given that I ended up in an ETC va ETC QM the other day

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Solvent posted:

I loving love that about this terrible game I've blown over 5k games in.

Honestly same

Hopping back into solo QM matches after being away from the game for a long time. And it almost kind of feels in a better spot than it was at the game’s height? Like, maybe because there are fewer toxics players still around. I remember when 75% of my matches would get decided by which team had the least toxic crybaby screaming at them

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The unique feel of each hero makes this game so different. I do love it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I don’t love losing 450 rating points when facing a 5 stack when my team only had a two stack and a guy who got pissy and alt-f4’d halfway in

but the alternative is unranked which never pops or some obscure QM matchup of 4 mages vs 4 stealthies and Aba on each side

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I can tank! All the game usually needs is a good tank and a good healer, so, can you heal? I feel like if we could get together a few people from this thread to play ranked, we’d all be a lot happier with that much free time.

Or you can message me if you see me on. I’ll be ur Arthas bb.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Apparently I've sunk so far beneath Bronze 5 that I'm in the hidden Bronze 30 - my win/loss points per match is about 16-18. I've got a 55% win rate but can't climb at all.

Still, I'm not the worst player and if anyone wants to get a premade going send me an add: Duskmoor#2170

I realise I haven't exactly made myself out to be the guy you want to play a game with, still.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
How many matches have you played? Who’re your favorites? I mean, honestly the ranking system is as much luck as anything else. Ggs happen because everyone can work together.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
so now I understand why Li Mings go teleport build. Always did the boring "sit in the back, toss orbs" build in ARAM, but went with Teleport on a whim during QM and holllllllllllllllly gently caress :hellyeah: You just become a completely different character, bouncing between heroes, telefragging jerks over and over, and shielding and healing from the kills too. Teamfight god

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Nybble posted:

so now I understand why Li Mings go teleport build. Always did the boring "sit in the back, toss orbs" build in ARAM, but went with Teleport on a whim during QM and holllllllllllllllly gently caress :hellyeah: You just become a completely different character, bouncing between heroes, telefragging jerks over and over, and shielding and healing from the kills too. Teamfight god

Yeah Calamity Li Ming is fun. If the other team has a bunch of glass-cannon characters you can absolutely smash face.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
The most fun thing in this game is hands down a nano-boosted teleport-build Li-Ming. Just throwing missiles, orbs, and telefrags everywhere.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
You can telefrag with Li Ming??!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

cmdrk posted:

You can telefrag with Li Ming??!

One of the talents adds damage to the teleport location.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Machai posted:

One of the talents adds damage to the teleport location.

:allears:

I need to try that out.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The thing I ran into today was 1) a bad team who was allergic to team fights so I was focused down and never got the takedown heal until after I died, and 2) i kept forgetting that you only get shields at 16.

Definitely a late game changer tho, but it’s a rough life if the team isn’t organized even a little bit. (this is true of most heroes, but especially her)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Calamity Li-Ming is absolutely the superior build but I suck at it so I just throw balls every day and get about the same level of performance without running the risk of getting murdered by my own easily preventable mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah the nice thing about Orb Li-Ming is that you can have fun even if the rest of your team is clueless. Calamity Li-Ming needs to capitalize on wounded or out-of-position enemies - she can have trouble without team cooperation because she's committed to the fight.