Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

One thing I think Tokoyami could be criticized for was not stepping up to take charge once the rest of the team was separated from Momo. Before her care package dropped in, they were just standing around not knowing what to do. And lord knows the other two weren't going to step up.

Mulderman posted:

Gotta make sure she doesn't stand out for the TRAITOR reveal.
You hide the eyes you hide the lies.

Honestly, this is probably the only reasonable excuse for her being so useless. If she's not the traitor than oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Momo and Tokoyami are fairly blameless, the entire enemy team made their entire plan about separating Momo and throwing her into her absolute worst matchup and Tokoyami nearly defeated two of them.

Hagakure and Aoyama have no excuse really

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
We are going up against a guy who can merge with black objects.
We have a guy who can shoot a bright laser.
We have a girl who can refract light.

Kuroiro should have been a non-factor the second they discovered his quirk.
They failed hard and the manga needs to acknowledge this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Hagakure entirely exists for the one joke Horikoshi keeps using her for, which is fine, but he needs to stop putting her on panel in situations that lead to the expectation of her becoming anything other than a joke if he's not going to actually follow through on that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rouncer posted:

Actually each team was supposed to treat the other team as if they were villains. Trying to capture them but working under the assumption that the other team was trying to harm them. Under those conditions her decision to strap herself to kendo is completely illogical and eraser dad should be lecturing her about it but won’t cause her personality is too fragile.

Villains don't always go in for the kill. If they did, class 1-A would be down a Bakugo, at minimum. If you know your opponents want hostages, then it makes sense to take advantage of the fact they don't want to kill you yet.

Momo assumed (reasonably) that she'd lose in CQC because that's Kendo's whole schtick. Given that, and that her teammates were going to go down without her help, prioritizing the overall situation made sense. She could either win the battle overall (if Aoyama and Tooru had pulled their weight) and have hope of rescue, or (maybe, it would be a longshot at best) win her fight, get her teammates captured or killed, and have to handle everyone else by herself.

It's a sensible choice. Not her fault it didn't pay out.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If the premise of the battle was "you should treat the other team as real villains and hold nothing back", Momo failed utterly because her response to being attacked was to IMMEDIATELY assume she'd lose and go for a self-sacrifice play instead of even attempting to defend herself. If Kendo were a villain and this were a real situation, that might end up with Momo getting killed or horribly injured.

It's pretty clear by everyone praising Momo that "treat the other team as villains and burn them to the ground" isn't the core intent of the training exercise.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Well that was Class 1A praising Momo

I hope we get another after action report with the teachers and see what they thought of everyone’s performance

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It would be funny if Momo was still unconscious in the next chapter and poor Kendo spent the rest of the arc tied to her.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If Mushroom Girl gets the ok for choking you out with mushrooms in your throat then Momo should have just worn a gas mask and just started spraying sarin everywhere when Kendo approached her instead of wasting all her energy on a useless lovely cannon

E: to clarify it's ok because it's non lethal as long as she cancels the effect with her quirk (by making an antidote injector)

Eej fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 12, 2018

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

just send everyone into anaphylactic shock its ok bc you got recovery girl and can make epipens

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Someone earlier mentioned that Hagakure should have snuck up and put Manga in a choke hold instead of just punching him. On paper, that sounds like a decent plan, but given his weird comic panel head, is it even possible to choke him? How does he breath? The whole biology of his head confuses me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That's probably what Hagakure should do, isn't it? Just straight up Solid Snake the poo poo out of everyone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Fight bad tweet good

https://twitter.com/NoemiSculptures/status/1050453184127397888?s=19

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

A tweet tweet

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Just thought of something. So the rope was still attached to Momo. Doesn't that mean she could literally create attached armor? So she could take a lesson from tanks and build herself some attached reactive armor (so when she got hit it would explode outward and cancel the force on her).

Her power has so much potential and is so under utilized. Just need to get her and Hatsume together to probe the limits of what she could create.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Chapter spoilers are in the wild so translations should be underway.
Juzo speaks English!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

momo needs to understand how the thing works and there's probably limits to how much she can actually make at once (tho if there is, there's been no indication of it thus far)

she prob couldn't make anything bigger than her either since the stuff she makes comes out of her body

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Manatee Cannon posted:

momo needs to understand how the thing works and there's probably limits to how much she can actually make at once (tho if there is, there's been no indication of it thus far)

she prob couldn't make anything bigger than her either since the stuff she makes comes out of her body

She can make stuff bigger then her. The cannon for example.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

May wanna take another look at the last chapter, Dr. Cannon

EDIT: although to do so should take an insane amount of energy (poop) out of her so I don't know why she went for that instead of, like, a t-shirt gun

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rouncer posted:

Just thought of something. So the rope was still attached to Momo. Doesn't that mean she could literally create attached armor? So she could take a lesson from tanks and build herself some attached reactive armor (so when she got hit it would explode outward and cancel the force on her).

Her power has so much potential and is so under utilized. Just need to get her and Hatsume together to probe the limits of what she could create.

she could build armor like that but a) she can only create what she has the lipids to convert into material and b) she's not exactly tank strong

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Minor spoiler from the newest chapter.

English!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Hate-Senpai posted:

Minor spoiler from the newest chapter.

English!

drat, imagine working that hard or at least doing more research than the average mangaka and still getting foiled by typos.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
New chapter

lmao at the first panel

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

short one this time huh

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

May wanna take another look at the last chapter, Dr. Cannon

EDIT: although to do so should take an insane amount of energy (poop) out of her so I don't know why she went for that instead of, like, a t-shirt gun

I did honestly forget how big that cannon was

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/202/5402/1

e: woops didnt refresh.

So more Dabi hints

Kild fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Oct 12, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Tetstutetsu's got that REAL STEAL

Shame it's going to take another break, hope Hori's doing okay. The art's been pretty strong of late, I think, at least.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
every time iida opens his mouth im more convinced he's the traitor

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Oh hell yes Hatsume Mei 4-koma

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kild posted:

https://readms.net/r/my_hero_academia/202/5402/1

e: woops didnt refresh.

So more Dabi hints

I wanna be clear here, previously in this thread, I was like "There are no real hints to this, people are really constructing this stuff from nowhere." The last burst of stuff though. Yeah, I was blatantly wrong. If it's not Dabi at this point, I will be loving surprised.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That wasn't so much a hint as it was just straight up winking at the camera at this point.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've missed Iida. I hope he gets to do things.

E:

drjuggalo posted:

every time iida opens his mouth im more convinced he's the traitor

Being good and cool is really suspicious I agree.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Onmi posted:

I wanna be clear here, previously in this thread, I was like "There are no real hints to this, people are really constructing this stuff from nowhere." The last burst of stuff though. Yeah, I was blatantly wrong. If it's not Dabi at this point, I will be loving surprised.

Yeah, it's a little much. At this point there is almost no way for the reveal to be satisfying, it's either obvious or an unnecessarily convoluted twist.

-->EDIT: I suppose the kids reading it will be happy and feel smart having caught babby's first foreshadowing so maybe that's his angle, but it's unfortunate as an adult reader.

As for the chapter, well. Koda got a reflection panel last time but we're just gonna move on from that second battle like there's nothing to talk about. Sure.

Endeavor's plan makes less and less sense the more they let him yell about it. Like, All Might would be loving psyched if he was somehow healthy and active when suddenly an 18 year old Todoroki showed up to help out at the top. What satisfaction was Endeavor hoping to gain? Horikoshi really should have quietly buried this silly "breeding a successor" thing and let both Todorokis develop on their own.

That said, I hope he lets Todoroki get taken out quick while he's brooding and have the other three clean up. The last thing this manga needs is three more cool characters jobbing so Todoroki can find himself and wipe them all out with daddy's Prominence Burn or something.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 12, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, it's a little much. At this point there is almost no way for the reveal to be satisfying, it's either obvious or an unnecessarily convoluted twist.

As for the chapter, well. Koda got a reflection panel last time but we're just gonna move on from that second battle like there's nothing to talk about. Sure.

Endeavor's plan makes less and less sense the more they let him yell about it. Like, All Might would be loving psyched if he was somehow healthy and active when suddenly an 18 year old Todoroki showed up to help out at the top. What satisfaction was Endeavor hoping to gain? Horikoshi really should have quietly buried this silly "breeding a successor" thing and let both Todorokis develop on their own.

That said, I hope he lets Todoroki get taken out quick while he's brooding and have the other three clean up. The last thing this manga needs is three more cool characters jobbing so Todoroki can find himself and wipe them all out with daddy's Prominence Burn or something.

Todoroki might win with Blue flames.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I've missed Iida. I hope he gets to do things.

E:

Being good and cool is really suspicious I agree.

hes actually salty over birdman and two tones conversation on being successors to top heroes and is faking his emotions (again)

edit: im half joking of course, the mei 2 pager was cool, replace momo with her

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

drjuggalo posted:

edit: im half joking of course, the mei 2 pager was cool, replace momo with her

same but deku

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bakugao is growing on me.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think I'd also enjoy if Todoroki can take the back seat for this fight and let his teammates shine. It feels like of the main characters, Ida doesn't actually get much attention - when was his last big arc, was it Stain? A fight which everyone assumes will rotate around Todoroki instead focusing on the other three could make the round an interesting underdog fight.

This is also probably the only round of the five where the outcome is actually up in the air, so enjoy it - if team three wins, team four will lose, and vice-versa. Unlike poor, jobbing Momo, I think both Todoroki and Bakugo have enough fight-cred at this point that either of them could go the "loses but learns a lesson" route plausibly enough, but I don't know if it'll be another "Todoroki angsts about his dad and becomes distracted" or "Bakugo refuses to work with others" lesson.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Real Steal is such a good loving name

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
And we're on break next week because Hori is dying again. Three weeks of 12-13 page chapters are kind of a giveaway that he's sick or overworked again.

The lack of post-fight chat is a bummer but it was kinda nice to see All Might and co taking the weird ghost stuff and potential loss of control seriously instead of just kinda not thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

You mean that the plan created by a heavily-aggresive, completely obsessed to the point of destroying his own family, absolutely warped barely-hero, may not really work?! Jesus, you've opened my eyes to Horikoshi's terrible writing!

Seriously, I don't think Endeavor thought it that far. All Might defeated = he wins. He's utterly incapable of understanding that All Might doesn't share his obsession with the Nš1 slot - well, he may understand it now that he got it, but definitely not before.