Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

They cancelled my order so now I'm considering putting my own unRAID system together and am wondering if there's any oversights here:

1 x GIGABYTE B660M DS3H DDR4
-cheapest socket 1700 board with 2.5gb rj45 i could find
1 x Intel Core i3-12100T, 4C/8T, 2.20-4.10GHz, tray (CM8071504651106)
-cheapest alder lake quad core with an iGPU, went with the -T over the cheaper non -T in hopes of lower power consumption
1 x be quiet! Pure Rock Slim 2 (BK030)
-cpu doesnt come with a cooler and this one is cheap and has decent reviews
1 x Cooler Master V-Series V550 Gold V2 White Edition 550W ATX 2.52 (MPY-550V-AGBAG)
-cheapest fully modular, semi-passive PSU with a 10 year warranty i could find
2 x G.Skill Aegis DIMM 16GB, DDR4-2666, CL19-19-19-43 (F4-2666C19D-32GIS)
-less than 5 euros more than the same brand 2333 kit, which was the cheapest kit of 32GB ram i could find
1 x Fractal Design Define R5 Black (FD-CA-DEF-R5-BK)
-supports 8 hdd bays with reasonable good looks
1 x KIOXIA EXCERIA G2 SSD 1TB, M.2 (LRC20Z001TG8)
-cheapest pcie m.2 drive with d-ram cache and 5 year warranty i could find
1 x Dell H310 SAS SATA HBA | LSI 9211-8i IT-mode (refurbished)
-card to get 8 sata ports, LSI stuff is more reliable than no name stuff on amazon from my (limited) understanding
8 x 3.5 inch HDDs (4x WD Red 10tb, 2x Seagate Exos 16tb, 2x Toshiba MG08 16tb)
-unRaid will allow me to use all of that with only one of the largest drives set aside for parity (unlike raid5 for example)

I wanna run a plex server and feed it with various arrs, all in docker containers. Am I looking at any issues with this system or should it at least in theory be smooth sailing? I don't really know much about PCs outside of windows and my prebuilt NAS which this system is meant to replace, but I've picked up a little bit of CLI stuff playing around with my NAS.

Looks like a solid setup. Only thing you're missing for UnRaid is an 8gb or so USB flash drive for the OS to live on.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
unraid top tip:
get a small SD reader with an 8gb SD, the license will get tied to the reader serial and not the SD, so if need be you can replace the SD if it ever fails without having to deal with renewing the license

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

e.pilot posted:

unraid top tip:
get a small SD reader with an 8gb SD, the license will get tied to the reader serial and not the SD, so if need be you can replace the SD if it ever fails without having to deal with renewing the license

That's right, I need to do this next time my motherboard that loves to fry USB devices kills my boot drive.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

e.pilot posted:

unraid top tip:

oh poo poo this is a good idea I need to get on this

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Enos Cabell posted:

Looks like a solid setup. Only thing you're missing for UnRaid is an 8gb or so USB flash drive for the OS to live on.

Is it bad practice or simply not necessary to have the unRaid install on the m.2 drive? I was thinking of that as "system drive" similar to windows, where it would house the OS install and docker apps, but you're saying it should/has to be separate? Regarding the tip with the USB reader, are unraid licenses not tied to an account? I assumed that it would be transferable to a new device, should I ever choose to replace the server.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Is it bad practice or simply not necessary to have the unRaid install on the m.2 drive? I was thinking of that as "system drive" similar to windows, where it would house the OS install and docker apps, but you're saying it should/has to be separate? Regarding the tip with the USB reader, are unraid licenses not tied to an account? I assumed that it would be transferable to a new device, should I ever choose to replace the server.

It won't work at all, Unraid ties the license to the GUID of the boot usb device. It's also tied to your account, but this limits you to only being able to boot from that one device. It's extremely simple to transfer the license to a new device though, I've had to do it several times now due to a stupid USB frying motherboard.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Enos Cabell posted:

It won't work at all, Unraid ties the license to the GUID of the boot usb device.

Ah okay, I wasn't aware of this. Is there anything I should look for when choosing a stick/card or will any do?
I'm also curious about the first time setting it up. I assume I can create the usb stick from my windows desktop, but to boot from it for the first time I'll need to have a keyboard and monitor connected to the unraid device directly in order to go into BIOS and give boot priority to the stick?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pretty much any old usb stick will do, but I do really like the suggestion to use a usb sd card reader and a small sd card. To create the boot media, they have an app for Windows or Mac https://unraid.net/download. You'll need a keyboard and display long enough to give the usb boot priority, but after that everything can be done via web browser on another pc.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
And make sure to set up boot USB backups, whether via plugin to something like GDrive or via the automated service direct from unRaid.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Incessant Excess posted:

Ah okay, I wasn't aware of this. Is there anything I should look for when choosing a stick/card or will any do?
I'm also curious about the first time setting it up. I assume I can create the usb stick from my windows desktop, but to boot from it for the first time I'll need to have a keyboard and monitor connected to the unraid device directly in order to go into BIOS and give boot priority to the stick?

Get one of the tiny wee ones.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDCZ430-032G-G46-Ultra-Flash-Drive/dp/B077VXV323

Or/and one of these things and put it in a spare motherboard header.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/STARTECH-COM-USBMBADAPT2-Motherboard-Header-Adapter/dp/B002GNU2V6

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 23, 2022

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I finally caved and am giving Portainer CE a try.

Why the gently caress would I want to use Apps on single-node TrueNAS?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
TrueNAS user here. I have a status report emailed to me every other day. I have 5 disks in a RAID-Z2 config that was built in 2018.

6 days ago I had only 1 UDMA CRC Error ever on /dev/ada2 (from long ago)
as of 4 days ago I've also had UDMA CRC errors on two other drives

Should I be worried about these accumulating?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sorry for double posting but maybe this is relevant to my UDMA issues, I have a Fractal 804 and only have 5 drives using the onboard SATA ports (mobo is a Supermicro MBD-X10SDV-TLN4F-O)

In the link you provided he is using some no-name SATA card. Can anyone here recommend a decent SATA that would allow me to use all 10 SATA connectors?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Hed posted:

TrueNAS user here. I have a status report emailed to me every other day. I have 5 disks in a RAID-Z2 config that was built in 2018.

6 days ago I had only 1 UDMA CRC Error ever on /dev/ada2 (from long ago)
as of 4 days ago I've also had UDMA CRC errors on two other drives

Should I be worried about these accumulating?
UDMA CRC errors are from S.M.A.R.T and mean that the harddrive has started correcting errors using its built-in checksums - it's probably an indication that the drives is slowly dying. I'd suggest getting hold of at least one (preferably more) replacement(s) that has the same number of LBAs and the same sector size, and start replacing disks one by one.
Typically one might expect a few checksum errors at the start of a drives lifetime, and if they stop increasing after some time that drive can still be used - but if it's been running regularly for 4 years, and is throwing errors now, it's almost never a good sign.

If you replace 3 of the drives with much bigger drives, there's also a good argument to replace the last two, and then have your whole pool grow bigger (either by setting autoexpand=on on the pool before replacing any disks or using zpool online -e after, if you forget to set autoexpand=on).
It's also possible that TrueNAS will automatically expand it; I know FreeBSD has an option to do it, but that feature was added in 2019.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 23, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

UDMA CRC doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy drive. That means there's errors occurring between the drive and the controller. It could certainly be a drive issue if the failure is on the drive's SATA interface, but it also could be cabling or the controller.

My go-to for controllers will always be any appropriate flavor of the LSI/ Broadcom SAS controllers, at least past the now-ancient SAS1 controllers that can't address >2TB drives. Flash one to IT mode and they're dead reliable.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
been having the sick urge to upgrade my HPE gen10+ to a QNAP TVS-872XT

I really don’t need it but it seems neat

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Hed posted:

Sorry for double posting but maybe this is relevant to my UDMA issues, I have a Fractal 804 and only have 5 drives using the onboard SATA ports (mobo is a Supermicro MBD-X10SDV-TLN4F-O)

In the link you provided he is using some no-name SATA card. Can anyone here recommend a decent SATA that would allow me to use all 10 SATA connectors?

I recommend an LSI 9211-8i in IT mode (probably used off eBay or whatever) with two 4-port SATA fanout cables. I have a server OEM variant of this card and it's been rock solid in my Linux NAS with a Supermicro X8SIL-F for years.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eletriarnation posted:

I recommend an LSI 9211-8i in IT mode (probably used off eBay or whatever) with two 4-port SATA fanout cables. I have a server OEM variant of this card and it's been rock solid in my Linux NAS with a Supermicro X8SIL-F for years.

For the money you'd really be dumb not to use the LSI stuff, it's absolutely bulletproof (and the same is not true of Marvell and consumer competitors) and everyone else is using it too. You won't be the first person to bump into X use-case on Y software on Z hardware to be using LSI stuff.

The usual thing a few years back was the IBM M1015, which is just an OEM rebrand of the 9211 (or some similar model, there's a list on some forum). Like a few other LSI cards, you may need to flash them to IT mode, which is annoying (build a freedos boot usb with the flashing software and ROM, etc) but nothing too difficult.

Somehow IT Mode is supposed to be different from JBOD mode and you want IT mode, but I'm not quite clear on what the difference is.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

UDMA CRC doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy drive. That means there's errors occurring between the drive and the controller. It could certainly be a drive issue if the failure is on the drive's SATA interface, but it also could be cabling or the controller.

My go-to for controllers will always be any appropriate flavor of the LSI/ Broadcom SAS controllers, at least past the now-ancient SAS1 controllers that can't address >2TB drives. Flash one to IT mode and they're dead reliable.
After it's been running fine for four years, they don't just crop up without a reason.
Of course, it's easy to reseat cables and such, so it's worth checking - but I'll be somewhat surprised if that turns out to be it.

Paul MaudDib posted:

For the money you'd really be dumb not to use the LSI stuff, it's absolutely bulletproof (and the same is not true of Marvell and consumer competitors) and everyone else is using it too. You won't be the first person to bump into X use-case on Y software on Z hardware to be using LSI stuff.

The usual thing a few years back was the IBM M1015, which is just an OEM rebrand of the 9211 (or some similar model, there's a list on some forum). Like a few other LSI cards, you may need to flash them to IT mode, which is annoying (build a freedos boot usb with the flashing software and ROM, etc) but nothing too difficult.

Somehow IT Mode is supposed to be different from JBOD mode and you want IT mode, but I'm not quite clear on what the difference is.
During a burn-in period for new hardware purchased for a storage farm at a place I worked at, we discovered that Marvell controllers would "oops all drives are suddenly gone" when approaching 100% load, and would refuse to recognize anything else until the server had been mechanically switched off.
On the other hand, the LSI controllers can have one downside if you're using HPE, because HPEs OOB BMC will throttle the fans lower if you're using one of HPEs branded LSI controllers (even if it's running LSI firmware), compared with running them at 60% if it doesn't recognize the HBA.

There's a seemingly endless supply of pre-flashed cards on Ebay, and most even come with breakout cables - but in case flashing is needed, that can be done from FreeBSD using mpsutil.

As for Initiator Target mode vs Just-a-Bunch-Of-Disks mode, that's not an issue on the pre-flashed LSI controllers.
Where it comes up is if you're dealing with hardware RAID controllers, which will sometimes emulate JBOD mode by putting each disk in its own RAID0 array with only one element - so you can get into a situation where you still need that vendors RAID controller to properly present the drive to the OS, even though you thought you wouldn't.

More importantly though, IT mode also ensures that the hardware RAID controller doesn't try and control disk cache - ie. intercept SCSI/SAS/ATA FLUSH events, which ZFS relies on to achieve atomic transactionality.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 24, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hed posted:

Eletriarnation posted:

I picked up one of these LSI 9200-8i boards a few years ago for ~$50 and haven't had any issues with Unraid. There may be cheaper/better/newer options, though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192732265809

Enterprise equipment on eBay is a goldmine.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 24, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Agreeing with going LSI. I also recommend checking out The Art of Server's YouTube videos for how to spot fakes if you're shopping because they're becoming pretty common now. He also has an eBay store if you don't mind paying a couple bucks more to be sure it's legit and has been flashed and tested correctly. He was really helpful answering my questions when I was buying my first HBA card and breakout cables.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Scruff McGruff posted:

Agreeing with going LSI. I also recommend checking out The Art of Server's YouTube videos for how to spot fakes if you're shopping because they're becoming pretty common now. He also has an eBay store if you don't mind paying a couple bucks more to be sure it's legit and has been flashed and tested correctly. He was really helpful answering my questions when I was buying my first HBA card and breakout cables.

I have had good experiences with LSI cards from Art of Server.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone. Before all the replies came in I realized what that reddit post was talking about and ended up getting an IBM M5110 that appears to be a rebadged LSI 9207-8i with 2 breakout cables. It looks like the 9207 vs. 9211 is just PCIe 3 vs. 2, so I think this will work out just fine on my board which is PCIe 3.

Starting to wonder if I should just put the drives in an enclosure and build a new 8xHDD pool entirely than swap my 5xHDD one by one and ZFS expand. There's not really an interconnect on my motherboard which would present the disks directly to the OS, though. Or just build another vdev. When's RAIDz expansion supposed to land, again? :)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I've got like 4 spare LSI HBAs of various types lying around I could sell at shipping cost to goons. Beats them collecting dust in my parts drawers I figure.

Edit: really, the more expensive thing potentially is the SFF-8064 reverse breakout cables, and I think I can spare one of those at least

necrobobsledder fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 24, 2022

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I'm passing a LSI 9207-8i to a TrueNAS VM (ESXi host). Zero issues, and I'm running consumer hardware.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm pretty new to the idea of NASs, and wondering if you all could point me in the right direction or recommend a guide or something. I'd like to set up a NAS primarily for media streaming (ideally HDMI straight out to a TV, it isn't 4K if that matters), but also for some general home backup stuff. My backup needs are pretty minimal, it'd mostly be documents and pictures that I have on the cloud anyway but want a local backup for convenience, but I'd also like to do regular backups of my freelance work from my laptop, which does include a lot of audio files.

I actually had an unRAID set up years ago primarily for backing up audio projects back when I did a ton of that kind of work, and honestly I don't really want to deal with a completely homebrew solution anymore, so I'm thinking I'd rather go the route of something like a Synology box that's already basically set up for what I want to do, if that exists. I don't have a budget in mind but I'm fine spending a little more for something that will require less janitoring over time.

I've started doing my own research but I'm kind of overwhelmed by the number of options and trying to figure out which options will work pretty well as a media server without a ton of headaches around transcoding and the like.

Apologies if basically the same question has been asked recently, I looked through the last few pages of the thread and didn't see anything along these lines, and the OP seems pretty... old.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm pretty new to the idea of NASs, and wondering if you all could point me in the right direction or recommend a guide or something. I'd like to set up a NAS primarily for media streaming (ideally HDMI straight out to a TV, it isn't 4K if that matters), but also for some general home backup stuff. My backup needs are pretty minimal, it'd mostly be documents and pictures that I have on the cloud anyway but want a local backup for convenience, but I'd also like to do regular backups of my freelance work from my laptop, which does include a lot of audio files.

I actually had an unRAID set up years ago primarily for backing up audio projects back when I did a ton of that kind of work, and honestly I don't really want to deal with a completely homebrew solution anymore, so I'm thinking I'd rather go the route of something like a Synology box that's already basically set up for what I want to do, if that exists. I don't have a budget in mind but I'm fine spending a little more for something that will require less janitoring over time.

I've started doing my own research but I'm kind of overwhelmed by the number of options and trying to figure out which options will work pretty well as a media server without a ton of headaches around transcoding and the like.

Apologies if basically the same question has been asked recently, I looked through the last few pages of the thread and didn't see anything along these lines, and the OP seems pretty... old.

Definitely sounds like a Synology box is the way to go for you. Do you have a sense of how many simultaneous streams you would be expecting and would they be 100% LAN or some external as well? If you're genuinely expecting just the single stream to the TV then any of their current line should be fine. I know some people tend to favor the Celeron CPU ones because they have Intel Quicksync for hardware transcoding.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm pretty new to the idea of NASs, and wondering if you all could point me in the right direction or recommend a guide or something. I'd like to set up a NAS primarily for media streaming (ideally HDMI straight out to a TV, it isn't 4K if that matters), but also for some general home backup stuff.

Synology and QNAP both have options that are extremely low maintenance. QNAP tends to give you more hardware for the price, Synology has an incrementally better OS. You should not directly expose NASes from either vendor to the internet, by which I mean don't put it in a DMZ or forward ports to it. QNAP has had a bunch of public security problems, but Synology has had several too.

Unfortunately wanting HDMI and to play video straight from the NAS eliminates the cheapest 2-bay options, which would be a good fit for you otherwise. I'm assuming gigabit Ethernet is fine? Wirecutter's comparison of entry level NASes is decent: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-network-attached-storage/

The QNAP TS-251D-4G-US looks like it'd meet your needs? Based on what you wanted for storage, it sounds like 2 bays would be plenty, and 14TB or 16TB disks are the best value right now so you'd have a nice big RAID 1.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You can combine a nas with a cheap nuc-like computer to handle the docker/server stuff. That's what I do. I have a Synology which is **just** a NAS and I have a refurb optiplex that runs OpenMediaVault which mounts the shared directory from my NAS and then does all the docker stuff (I keep the media on the NAS, and the server files for my docker apps locally on the optiplex)

It's a $150 addition to your setup but your performance will be MUCH better than trying to run on the underpowered NAS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLLR43R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It does increase the complexity of the setup though so if that's not something you want to deal with I can totally understand that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You could also get some cheap Android HDMI stick instead (or a Shield TV if you want to spend a bit more).
Connecting a NAS directly to the TV feels wrong

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MockingQuantum posted:

I ran Plex and the arrs just fine on a Synology DS218+ as long as I only had 1-2 streams. Plex pass helped a lot since the 218+ has quicksync, but I eventually upgraded to an old 6th gen intel workstation as an app server.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Scruff McGruff posted:

Definitely sounds like a Synology box is the way to go for you. Do you have a sense of how many simultaneous streams you would be expecting and would they be 100% LAN or some external as well? If you're genuinely expecting just the single stream to the TV then any of their current line should be fine. I know some people tend to favor the Celeron CPU ones because they have Intel Quicksync for hardware transcoding.

Yeah I'd anticipate it'd just be a single stream to the TV, all LAN. Basically just for my partner and I to watch stuff at home. We use Plex on an old laptop right now but it's not very stable and on its last legs anyway, so this would mainly be replacing that and serving as general storage as well.

Twerk from Home posted:

Unfortunately wanting HDMI and to play video straight from the NAS eliminates the cheapest 2-bay options, which would be a good fit for you otherwise. I'm assuming gigabit Ethernet is fine? Wirecutter's comparison of entry level NASes is decent: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-network-attached-storage/

I wouldn't necessarily need HDMI, I've just had mixed results with Plex with my current setup but that likely has more to do with my setup than Plex honestly. If streaming from the NAS will save me a decent chunk of change, the lack of HDMI isn't a dealbreaker.

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can combine a nas with a cheap nuc-like computer to handle the docker/server stuff. That's what I do. I have a Synology which is **just** a NAS and I have a refurb optiplex that runs OpenMediaVault which mounts the shared directory from my NAS and then does all the docker stuff (I keep the media on the NAS, and the server files for my docker apps locally on the optiplex)

I could look into this, it doesn't sound like a huge addition of complexity. I mostly want something that I can set up once and kind of forget about it, other than transferring media and backups occasionally.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I still feel like I'm a bit in over my head but I'll look around at the options and if I still have any questions I can't find answers to I'll drop them in here. I'm hoping I can kind of puzzle it out from here now that I have a starting point, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah I'd anticipate it'd just be a single stream to the TV, all LAN. Basically just for my partner and I to watch stuff at home. We use Plex on an old laptop right now but it's not very stable and on its last legs anyway, so this would mainly be replacing that and serving as general storage as well.

I wouldn't necessarily need HDMI, I've just had mixed results with Plex with my current setup but that likely has more to do with my setup than Plex honestly. If streaming from the NAS will save me a decent chunk of change, the lack of HDMI isn't a dealbreaker.

I could look into this, it doesn't sound like a huge addition of complexity. I mostly want something that I can set up once and kind of forget about it, other than transferring media and backups occasionally.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I still feel like I'm a bit in over my head but I'll look around at the options and if I still have any questions I can't find answers to I'll drop them in here. I'm hoping I can kind of puzzle it out from here now that I have a starting point, though.

Yeah the synology and like a set top box like an Apple TV 4K or nvidia shield pro will do exactly what you’re looking for.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I recently got a Synology to run the files for my Plex server and after it sits idle for a while when I go into the plex app on my phone it always says there are no files because the hard drives have all went into sleep mode. Is there a way to adjust this or turn it off on the Synology? Is it ok to turn it off?

it is a DS1621+ with Seagate 16TB IronWolf Pro drives if that matters

Trastion fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 28, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trastion posted:

I recently got a Synology to run the files for my Plex server and after it sits idle for a while when I go into the plex app on my phone it always says there are no files because the hard drives have all went into sleep mode. Is there a way to adjust this or turn it off on the Synology? Is it ok to turn it off?

it is a DS1621+ with Seagate 16TB IronWolf Pro drives if that matters

Yes it's called disk hibernation in their terminology:

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutorial/What_is_the_difference_between_HDD_Hibernation_System_Hibernation_and_Deep_Sleep

It's ok to turn off but you'll probably see conflicting opinions on what that does to disk reliability (more spin ups but stopped when not needed vs spinning 24/7).

MockingQuantum posted:

As another data point, I have all the media stored on the NAS and just use an old Windows tablet to drive the projector. But a $30 android box would work just as well.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 29, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Plex shouldn't be saying there are no files just because it's taking a while to spin the disks up, but that NAS has two M.2 slots so the answer might be to put a cheap 1TB NVMe SSD in as a cache which will ensure Plex can always see files.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutorial/What_is_the_difference_between_HDD_Hibernation_System_Hibernation_and_Deep_Sleep

It's ok to turn off but you'll probably see conflicting opinions on what that does to disk reliability (more spin ups but stopped when not needed vs spinning 24/7).

As another data point, I have all the media stored on the NAS and just use an old Windows tablet to drive the projector. But a $30 android box would work just as well.

Yeah I've got plenty of options in terms of stuff connected to the TV that can serve as the streaming box, heck I think the TV has a Plex app already installed, so it was never going to be hard to do Plex. I was mostly thinking I could maybe cut out the need to stream by connecting the NAS directly to the TV and cutting out Plex altogether but it sounds like that's not the normal use case, even if it is theoretically doable.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Thanks Ants posted:

Plex shouldn't be saying there are no files just because it's taking a while to spin the disks up, but that NAS has two M.2 slots so the answer might be to put a cheap 1TB NVMe SSD in as a cache which will ensure Plex can always see files.

It just seems to be the Android Plex app which it looks like they updated so it may be just a bug with that.

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks, I will look into that. I probably wont turn it all the way off if there are settings to just make it take longer to go into it like there is in windows.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I got a new Terramaster F2-210 and it looks like so far it's just a paperweight. Their site is completely non-functional, so I can't get to any of the software I need to actually set it up and use it. I found some direct download links and they don't work. I just get an XML error page. I can connect through IP from a browser, but it immediately fails trying to download the TOS software. About all I can do it keep trying and see if they respond to an email. Has anyone run in to this issue before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Funzo posted:

I got a new Terramaster F2-210 and it looks like so far it's just a paperweight. Their site is completely non-functional, so I can't get to any of the software I need to actually set it up and use it. I found some direct download links and they don't work. I just get an XML error page. I can connect through IP from a browser, but it immediately fails trying to download the TOS software. About all I can do it keep trying and see if they respond to an email. Has anyone run in to this issue before?

I don't have a solution for you, but I'd consider returning it and getting a synology 2 bay or something. Seems kind of awful for basic support. I'm guessing their site is having some issues, it barely loads for me and takes forever. I'm assuming even their US site is hosted in China and maybe having some technical problem just due to the long delays in things loading.