Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
"AUTOBOTANIK UNLEASH YOUR DISGUSTING POWERS ONTO AI!"

*DANNYWILSON CASTS AUTOBOTANIK ON HORRIBLE MECHANICAL FAILURES*

http://www.autobotanik.livejournal.com

IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Edit, new page: the first M5 is so wrong but tickles all the fabrikator Humpty Dumpty itches I've ever had.

spookykid fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dannywilson posted:

IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Edit, new page: the first M5 is so wrong but tickles all the fabrikator Humpty Dumpty itches I've ever had.

Quick, now find the dashcam videos each of these is from.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

CommieGIR posted:

Reminds me of when the auto industry also tried to villify safety belts.

Not wearing one is no better than wearing one improperly. So many people end up with the lap restraint right across their stomach and in winter, add 3 layers of heavy clothing to the equation. That's internal injuries just waiting to happen.

I hate wearing them but always do, because its the law, and always take the time to adjust properly. because I knew someone my freshman year of HS who had the lap restraint essentially destroy their intestines in a high-speed collision.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Lap belts don't go across your guts, though; they go across your hips. You'd have to destroy your pelvis if you were compressing your hips that much, and if the impact has that much force you'd be dead ten times over if you weren't wearing your belt.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

I hate wearing them but always do, because its the law, and always take the time to adjust properly. because I knew someone my freshman year of HS who had the lap restraint essentially destroy their intestines in a high-speed collision.

I've come across this viewpoint before and never understood it personally. Maybe it's a generational thing but once I put my seatbelt on I essentially forget I'm wearing it in every car I've driven.

Then again I also grew up riding around in the front seats of cars as a kid and that's a huge no-no today so :shobon:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dannywilson posted:

IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Some of these pictures are just them showing off that they're actually a really decent panel shop.

Most of them make me glad the chances of me ever driving on Russian roads are essentially non-existent.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Raluek posted:

Lap belts don't go across your guts, though; they go across your hips. You'd have to destroy your pelvis if you were compressing your hips that much, and if the impact has that much force you'd be dead ten times over if you weren't wearing your belt.

60% of Americans are overweight, 30% obese. That's a lot of fat folks out there for which wearing a seatbelt correctly is uncomfortable or impossible.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Dannywilson posted:

IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

I just noticed the random fridge with a lime green painjob about 1/3rd down the page. Everything else is cars and they cut a fridge door in half too apparently.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I just noticed the random fridge with a lime green painjob about 1/3rd down the page. Everything else is cars and they cut a fridge door in half too apparently.

They have a whole section on fridges - apparently they paint and un-dent and generally do bodywork on white goods as well. I recommend google translate.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You mean Russia has a culture of repair and continued use instead of throwing away and buying new?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Is that the same guy that rebuilt that Audi A3 from the ground up and painted it with all his leftover paint mixed together? man is a mastercraftsman!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Now this is a throne: https://pp.vk.me/c637122/v637122405/1e980/ec-DFwhxsVA.jpg

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fermented Tinal posted:

You mean Russia has a culture of repair and continued use instead of throwing away and buying new?

Not just that (though I can't really imagine a situation where my fridge would struggle with surface rust), but using a body shop to paint the fridge to match the kitchen is arguably genius, and I kind of want to get mine done in some garish high-gloss metallic now. (Though, sadly, that would not actually match my ikea cupboards.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Since pininfarina is designing soda machines now, maybe you could get them to sculpt you a fridge and then paint it like a car. I'd go for something pearlescent.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
man, now that you say that, I'm tempted to paint my fridge, stove, and dishwasher all SAAB #270 Lightning Blue. I have a grand total of $200 into them (beat up dishwasher came with the house and I planned on scrapping it before realizing it would take 50 bucks in parts to make it work again, $150 craigslist fridge, free stove from a friend) and I need practice before I paint my first project car anyways.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

kastein posted:

man, now that you say that, I'm tempted to paint my fridge, stove, and dishwasher all SAAB #270 Lightning Blue. I have a grand total of $200 into them (beat up dishwasher came with the house and I planned on scrapping it before realizing it would take 50 bucks in parts to make it work again, $150 craigslist fridge, free stove from a friend) and I need practice before I paint my first project car anyways.

Do this. Post pictures.

Do it. :catstare:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Topic addressed alredy. Dead horses, etc.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 14, 2016

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kastein posted:

I have been considering repainting our dryer; the paint is worn through on the top after 22-years, and I'll keep fixing it so long as I can get wear parts.

My wife is partial to a 50's type light green...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well I guess I will then :v:

On actual horrible mechanical failures, here is a motor that just got posted in a jeep group...

AMC 2.5L I4, 100k miles. Not really sure how someone got enough power out of one to make it explode. The big end of the rod looks kinda overheated though so I'd have to guess a poor history of oil changes and/or run dry.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Speaking of jeep failures, yesterday I spotted a security officer at work who responded to a late 90's/early 2000's cherokee that had rolled about one car length out of the parking spot it was in but mysteriously had managed to stop in the middle of the parking row without hitting anything.

today i saw it going out of the parking lot on a flatbed :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PainterofCrap posted:

I have been considering repainting our dryer; the paint is worn through on the top after 22-years, and I'll keep fixing it so long as I can get wear parts.

My wife is partial to a 50's type light green...
Try cockpit green, though it might be a bit bright. Land Rover pastel green would probably work.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Try cockpit green, though it might be a bit bright. Land Rover pastel green would probably work.

"50s type light green" was called avocado.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But that doesn't look like a car, it looks like an old dryer.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

But that doesn't look like a car, it looks like an old dryer.

I like my appliances and cars to have the same aerodynamics.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

cursedshitbox posted:

I like my appliances and cars to have the same aerodynamics.

Jeep owner spotted.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

Jeep Volvo owner spotted.
FTFY

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Bus owner spotted.

FTFY

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Too bad there's that whole "cd x total frontal area" problem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hitler cant get anything right.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

He killed Hitler

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Too bad there's that whole "cd x total frontal area" problem.

Yeah but remember the v^2, for a bus drag is practically negligible.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
iForge wasn't talking about that cute lil' thing you call a bus.

and fwiw: my washer/dryer *are* more aerodynamic than the truck or bus.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Platystemon posted:

Wo ist die Heizung?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Three-Phase posted:

Wo ist die Heizung?

Hier, mein Fhrer.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

"50s type light green" was called avocado.

I legit have this dryer. It works amazingly well for being ancient. The washer gave up the ghost and got replaced though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

He killed Hitler

Yeah, but he also killed the guy who killed hitler.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but he also killed the guy who killed hitler.

And the guy who killed the guy who killed Hitler, to be fair.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's hitler-killers all the way down

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Such a hero.

The guy that killed Hitler, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Kick-Puncher posted:

I legit have this dryer. It works amazingly well for being ancient. The washer gave up the ghost and got replaced though.

It's OG Maytag, of course it's still going strong. Maytag really did have a reason to run the Maytag Man series of ads, their poo poo was bulletproof.

My parents mid 90s Maytag set is based on the same design as that (they're one of the very last original Maytags built before Whirlpool started just slapping Maytag's name on Whirlpool-built washers/dryers). So far in nearly 20 years of ownership, the dryer has needed a blower wheel ($20, but about 2 hours worth of disassembly, cleaning all the lint out, vacuuming, and reassembly - actual replacement of the blower wheel was about 1 minute), and the washer needed a timer ($150ish? took about 15 minutes).

Basic dryers haven't changed much at all since the 1960s or so. Newer ones that aren't basic models are more efficient, but also have a lot more poo poo to break.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 15, 2016