Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Cavenagh posted:

I have some goat shoulder. Anyone got anything that isn't Goat Curry, Curry Goat or Carnitas?

That's the perfect cut for jerk goat (which I guess is not really unlike any of the things you mentioned).

You can slow-roast it and slice it and have awesome/silly sandwiches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
So my habanero plants have been unnecessarily successful, and I have a ton of habaneros. The temperature has also just dropped dramatically in my little corner of the Midwest, which means it's soup weather. Any suggestions for a good soup highlighting the habs? I'd prefer something hearty enough to serve as a meal, since I intend on taking it to work for lunches over the next week.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I want to grill chicken fajitas. I have a 13oz Stanley claw hammer, is there any advantage (besides looking a pussy) to buying a poultry hammer?

What recipe should I use? Do I want regular breasts or tenderloins or some other part of the bird?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Goons! I'm moving into a new apartment, with this type of stove:

I've used gas my whole life, except for a 1 year stint where I had a nichrome wire type electric stove that was older than me (irredeemable piece of garbage). What should I know about glasstops like this one? Any usage tips? I have no idea how quick the temperature changes etc are, compared to gas.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'd like to make some jambalaya tomorrow, I have brown basmati rice in my house but I haven't cooked that kind before. Can anyone give me some advice on cooking it properly? I was told it is a 2:1 ratio for water to rice so I was thinking a water brother mixture, bringing to a boil with spices and letting simmer until ready?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

M42 posted:

I've used gas my whole life, except for a 1 year stint where I had a nichrome wire type electric stove that was older than me (irredeemable piece of garbage). What should I know about glasstops like this one? Any usage tips? I have no idea how quick the temperature changes etc are, compared to gas.

Slower than gas, but more evenly spread. Extremely sensitive to warped pots and pans, so be careful about thermal shock.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

M42 posted:

I've got a similar one. Thoughts:
* You can't use cast iron, you'll scratch the hell out of it.
* Temperature change seems quicker to me than the coil-type electric stoves I've had in the past, but is still going to take some getting used to compared to gas.
* Mine can actually get extremely hot. Searing steaks and the like is definitely possible.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

when you shake your pots lift them a bit or you'll scratch the poo poo out of your range

M42
Nov 12, 2012

rj54x posted:

* You can't use cast iron, you'll scratch the hell out of it.

MY LIFE IS OVER

Would it still scratch if I didn't move it around? Makin steaks on a stainless steel pan sounds like it wouldn't work too well.

M42 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 4, 2015

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I use cast iron on mine, except I learned my lesson to pick it up to move it after it scratched the surface.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

M42 posted:

MY LIFE IS OVER

Would it still scratch if I didn't move it around? Makin steaks on a stainless steel pan sounds like it wouldn't work too well.

You get a really good crust and sear on steaks using a stainless pan. It's my preferred way to cook them anyway.

My question to goons:
Spring is here and the grapevine has some leaves. Unfortunately I'm going to be evicted and the house demolished and all plants torn up before I'll get any grapes.
But I was thinking about making some dolmades at least.
I've seen two ways to make them, cook rice completely and roll the leaves. Or par cook rice only, roll, then finish cooking as a parcel.
First method pros seem to be you can add fresh herbs, feta and other fillings, cons seem to be maybe harder to roll and keep them together. Also this method seem prevalent on taste.com.au (the aussie version of food.com), and by recipes using store bought leaves.

Second method I found on some greek recipe pages, cons seem to be you'd be boiling herbs and otherwise limited in fillings I guess. Pros seem to be the rice expands a little bit making the filling nice and tight, also I'm a poor anyway and was planning on just using lemon, salt, pepper and olive oil as flavourings anyway.

Anyone tried either method?
With fresh leaves I was just going to blanch them in boiling salted water BTW.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 4, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

M42 posted:

MY LIFE IS OVER

It's a super delicate surface, and any amount of normal cooking will scratch it. I scratched my mom's with plain old steel pan.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've committed myself to making a from scratch pumpkin pie. We went to a farm to buy a bunch of pumpkins and they had a special breed pumpkin which looks to me like a sugar pumpkin but they called a "winter" pumpkin. Anyway how do I cook this thing? Just like squash right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Toriori posted:

I'd like to make some jambalaya tomorrow, I have brown basmati rice in my house but I haven't cooked that kind before. Can anyone give me some advice on cooking it properly? I was told it is a 2:1 ratio for water to rice so I was thinking a water brother mixture, bringing to a boil with spices and letting simmer until ready?

Brown basmati would be a little tricky at least for a cajun jambalaya. It's more or less designed around a medium or long grain white. When I've made it I add the rice to the trinity / meat after cooking that together then adding in tomatoes / paste and around a 1:1 ratio of stock to uncooked rice and let that go from there for either 45 min on the stovetop on low heat or covered in the oven at 300F.

If you're cooking the rice separately that might be a bit difficult, never prepared it that way before and not sure if it would just get mushy once you add in everything else and cook it together afterwards.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

That's the perfect cut for jerk goat (which I guess is not really unlike any of the things you mentioned).

Yeah, just roast. When I butcher my goats I always do lots of roast cuts so i can do traditional Sunday roast with them, and shoulder is perfect for that. It's the shanks and things that I save for salt crust and other more exotic preparations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

M42 posted:

MY LIFE IS OVER

The huge pane of glass replaces what the cast iron does as far as heat/searing

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pile of brown posted:

In a way so it isn't reminiscent of something shaken out of a can of cat food.

This is a steak tartare but the ahi pic I was looking for is on an old phone. This is beef w zinfandel-macerated blackberries over a foie panna cotta with juniper foam.

Hey bro someone spit on your food in that first one.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I like how you took the time to edit the part where I said I didn't like it out of your quote, but not to read it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pile of brown posted:

I like how you took the time to edit the part where I said I didn't like it out of your quote, but not to read it.

I'm just messing with you, POB. <3

In other news, I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but pre-steaming my greens is way easier than having them in the fridge as-is.

I'm dog/cat sitting for a friend who's going out of town for a week. She knew I don't drive, so she took me to the produce market, and said to go nuts. There was some lovely kale and collard greens (both of which were like $0.80/lb), along with a bunch of other stuff. When we got home, I realised that it's not all going to fit in the fridge unless some adjustments were made. I did my best to finagle the rest of the veg in, but the greens just weren't going to fit.

I just took everything off the stem, and blanched it with hot water from the kettle until the wilted enough to squeeze out the excess water. Then they both fit into little tupperware containers. Now all I need to do is add it to stuff, which is way more simple now that the most annoying part of dealing with fresh greens is done. They're cleaned, and mostly cooked. Hell, I could even just heat them up with a bit more boiling water, toss in sesame oil, garlic salt, and pepper, and be fine. Also, I'm not nervous about the greens going off on me as I would if they were fresh.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Good topic to bring up.
I normally slice, blanch and freeze capsicums (bells peppers), and buy spinach frozen anyway (even in season it's always wilted and tatty looking fresh).
Kale and cos lettuce (romain) are champions at keeping fresh in the fridge as long as wrapped in paper towels and put unwashed in a large tupperware style container.

The big problem is always drat cabbage though, they're large and I want them fresh. :(
gently caress knows what collards are :D

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Blanched veg will keep longer too, as long as you dry it well.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Blanched veg will keep longer too, as long as you dry it well.

Good point. I squeezed the water out from the greens, so they should be fine for a while. I didn't consider freezing them, though that does seem sensible. The next time I see them on sale at the store, I can buy a bunch of them, blanch it, squeeze out the water, and freeze it on cookie sheets until they're frozen, then put them in zip lock bags for later use. I haven't done the frozen green beans thing though. Usually they're so expensive that I don't end up buying more than a pound or two at a time anyway, and that's easy enough to eat in a meal.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah, just roast. When I butcher my goats I always do lots of roast cuts so i can do traditional Sunday roast with them, and shoulder is perfect for that. It's the shanks and things that I save for salt crust and other more exotic preparations.

Cheers.

I got the goat from a Familia Fiesta Market, so it's already sliced up for carnitas, else I would be treating it like the sunday roast. Jerk is good, but I have been jerking a lot over the summer. Will probably stick to the islands though and make some Curry Goat. Sandwiches are interesting though. Used to make some from left over leg of lamb. Curry mayo, some lime pickle, few sultanas. Could work with goat.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Fo3 posted:

The big problem is always drat cabbage though, they're large and I want them fresh. :(

Cabbages are fine in a cool dark dry place for literally weeks they don't really require refrigeration.

And dino I was just bantering back!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hey so I like Thai iced tea and figured I'd make my own. I'm pretty clueless with coffee/tea and cooking in general. I don't drink either but have the general idea.

What's the best way to make this? Not ingredients, per-se, but I'm all ears. Should I get a tall glass infuser and let it steep in there in the fridge over night? Or boil water, steep it, then infuser over night? (I want it cold)

This is what I got:

Thai Iced Tea Mix, Traditional Restaurant Style, 16 oz. (Pack of 2) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NJS4S6C/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_lKzewbX957NN0

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you're buying a premade/premixed thing rather than ingredients your best bet is probably to follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I just had green tea Kit Kats and Zubrowka Vodka and it's a perfect, if random to me, match.
Is there some website where you can input random ingredients and see if they somehow "fit" together ?

Arili
Oct 7, 2010
Nooner's thread in addition to the blanch talk here has inspired a question about pesto.
Should I blanch the basil? Or more specifically, is there a pesto usage that works better if you blanch it as opposed to keeping it fresh?
In my mind it would seem like a blanched basil pesto would be more nicely suited to warm preparations, pastas, etc. but a fresh one would be better for cold use. Thoughts?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Arili posted:

Nooner's thread in addition to the blanch talk here has inspired a question about pesto.
Should I blanch the basil? Or more specifically, is there a pesto usage that works better if you blanch it as opposed to keeping it fresh?
In my mind it would seem like a blanched basil pesto would be more nicely suited to warm preparations, pastas, etc. but a fresh one would be better for cold use. Thoughts?

I think blanching the basil wouldn't make that much difference in the end result, whether used in a hot or cold application. In Kenji's new book, he recommends blanching to deactivate the compounds that, when oxidized, lose a lot of color intensity. That way you maintain a bright green pesto rather than have a sad, brown one after a day in the fridge.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Spatule posted:

I just had green tea Kit Kats and Zubrowka Vodka and it's a perfect, if random to me, match.
Is there some website where you can input random ingredients and see if they somehow "fit" together ?

There's probably an online version of the flavor bible somewhere but it probably won't include weird candy bars and vodka

Arili
Oct 7, 2010

Spatule posted:

IBM has made Watson a 'chef' with an online app which allows you to input as little as one ingredient and it will show you things that work with that flavor, and recipes generated from those ingredients. I'm not sure they'd have your fancy kit kat - vodka combo, but for unprocessed ingredients it is pretty neat.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I've not bothered paying attention to Chef Watson since it spat out a recipe that included peanut oil, corn oil and vegetable oil. Has it improved?

Arili
Oct 7, 2010
I've only recently tried using it, but as a test I just did a quick check on what it'd say for cremini mushrooms. Not sure if they were connected with bon appetit previously, but these recipes don't seem terrible.

Edit: forgot the second image.

Arili fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 5, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I'd have thought a mushroom taco recipe that uses 24 tortillas would have more mushrooms than a 3/4 cup. In fact, that looks like a pork taco recipe.

Arili
Oct 7, 2010
Fair point. Probably a lot more useful for learning flavor profiles than for the recipes themselves. Who wants to follow a recipe line by line, anyway?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Cavenagh posted:

I'd have thought a mushroom taco recipe that uses 24 tortillas would have more mushrooms than a 3/4 cup. In fact, that looks like a pork taco recipe.

Genius, it even knows when you should throw out a terrible taco idea and make pork tacos like a civilized person instead.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cavenagh posted:

And ¾ cups of mushrooms will cook down to nothing. Maybe ¼ cup when all is said and done.

Arili
Oct 7, 2010
Y'all are nitpicky bastards. It was a bad example, clearly. The sheer vastness of the cuisine types and ingredients is the neat part. And as far as I know, the only functioning example of anything close to what Spatule was asking about.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
How dare you nitpick something's complete lack of functionality when it's the only option easily available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arili
Oct 7, 2010
You're also all really good at making a person feel welcome. A+ learned my lesson GWS just as bad as GBS.