Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I heard the guy who did "Lone Wolf and Cub" died, so I offer this in memoriam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm definitely not the ball-less cocks on the second last panel.

I don't quite get the joke there, about being unbelievable as British children's entertainment. Is it a reference to some Dr Who monster that somehow got past the censors?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nah, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen stuff is full of crude humor. One of them features a giant naked Harry Potter even, I believe. (In that there is a definitely a giant Harry Potter, and I'm pretty sure they made him nude.). There's a ton more in Black Dossier and they had the invisible man be a rapist too, so yeah, Alan Moore.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

IUG posted:

Nah, League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen stuff is full of crude humor. One of them features a giant naked Harry Potter even, I believe. (In that there is a definitely a giant Harry Potter, and I'm pretty sure they made him nude.). There's a ton more in Black Dossier and they had the invisible man be a rapist too, so yeah, Alan Moore.

Not only naked, but he shoots lightning from his penis.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

See, and I was backtracking a bit in my post because I wasn't sure and I didn't want to sound like some kind of werido. Good thing it was even more weird than I remember.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

IUG posted:

There's a ton more in Black Dossier and they had the invisible man be a rapist too, so yeah, Alan Moore.

Hyde, too. It's messed up.

Huh. I say, that looks rather marvelous, doesn't it? Like a daguerreotype developing.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

I don't quite get the joke there, about being unbelievable as British children's entertainment. Is it a reference to some Dr Who monster that somehow got past the censors?

It's a reference to a comic book by Bob Monkhouse that got past the censors:

The name "Unbelievable Ones" comes from Dr. Strange's Mindless Ones.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Presented without context

Series is Rokudou no Onna-tachi

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

More no context

Gokushufudou: The Way of the House Husband

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Infinitum posted:

Presented without context

Series is Rokudou no Onna-tachi

Frankly, that's much worse than just floating around

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I bet it makes a rickety squeeking as she rides around.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Even less context!

Source is Mad Bull 34
Warning: An older series from the 80s, with a lot of problematic scenes in the early chapters.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

prefect posted:

I heard the guy who did "Lone Wolf and Cub" died, so I offer this in memoriam:

For context, Kazuo Koike was the writer for Lone Wolf and Cub, and Mad Bull 34 above. He usually paired up with different artists for each series.

He also taught manga classes whose alumni is a serious who's who of the manga world

Poor guy died of pneumonia a few days after Monkey Punch (Lupin III creator) also died of the same cause.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Based on the kinds of stories he's written, I've often thought of Kazuo Koike as one of two manga creators who could reasonably be considered the Japanese Frank Miller--appropriate, given Miller's boosting of LW&C in the 80's.

(The other is Go Nagai.)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Go Nagai is a monster in terms of output as well, working on over 360 titles since his debut

Mazinger and Getter Robo are straight up some of the best mecha series from the 70s and 80s.

Checkout Devilman Crybaby on Netflix for a good modern interpretation of one of his most famous works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww06yGPM7Kc

Warning: Extremely violent series. Lots of rape and gore. Noone gets a happy ending.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

A friend sent me this, from Lone Wolf and Cub:

Yes, that man is in a box. According to my friend, the other pages should be in the Badass thread.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Adnor posted:

A friend sent me this, from Lone Wolf and Cub:

Yes, that man is in a box. According to my friend, the other pages should be in the Badass thread.

it's pretty great, the guy in the box is a former samurai who's renounced violence and lives his life as a beggar using the table as a game; basically, samurai try to cut off his head for money, and he uses his swordsman skills to evade/grab the blade. then he sees ogami itto and his son daigoro, and instantly recognizes him as a mass murderer, and he basically says to him "i've renounced violence because i don't want to kill people, but if i let you walk away now you'll kill dozens if not hundreds, and so it's my duty to try to kill you, but i'll do it using the skills i've acquired doing this game." and itto, despite the fact that he walks the path of meifumado and has renounced bushido, still has respect for true warriors, and so accepts his challenge. i forget exactly what happens next, cause it's been a while since i read it, but i'm pretty sure it involves throwing a sword cause that happened a lot

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No idea of issue sorry

Goddammit Steve.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
That's from Captain America #696, by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee. It bugged me when it came out because it was right after Secret Empire and it felt like it was sort of shirking the consequences of that event by reverting immediately back to this very sunny, Normal Rockwell-esque version of Captain America's America, a tone I'm not very persuaded by at the best of times.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, gently caress that event.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Archyduchess posted:

That's from Captain America #696, by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee. It bugged me when it came out because it was right after Secret Empire and it felt like it was sort of shirking the consequences of that event by reverting immediately back to this very sunny, Normal Rockwell-esque version of Captain America's America, a tone I'm not very persuaded by at the best of times.

Considering things it's not impossible that Captain America being a literal Nazi would make people in small-town America like him more.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Archyduchess posted:

I think that was pretty much the point. Like "hey, Cap's been a Nazi for a while and people are pissed about it, let's do some feel-good stuff to win people back over before actually dealing with the fallout"

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

TwoPair posted:

I think that was pretty much the point. Like "hey, Cap's been a Nazi for a while and people are pissed about it, let's do some feel-good stuff to win people back over before actually dealing with the fallout"

I get that impulse, but I think Waid didn't help things by so heavily empathizing "no, really, Captain America is a populist hero, everyone loves him!" when that was precisely the element of his character that was the main thrust of Secret Empire, albeit in a pretty badly written way. I think ImpAtom's point is apt-- Secret Empire was full of scenes of small-town people eating up the Hydra schtick, so it wasn't really as convincing a "back to basics" as it might have been if Waid/Samnee had veered a bit further away from the Norman Rockwell iconography. To be honest I came around on Waid's run a bit when he shifted away from that stuff but I still think it was a not quite successful attempt at tonal rehabilitation.

Edit: That being said I don't really hold it against Waid, as "turn this ship around after Secret Empire, and make Captain America not odious" sounds like a nightmare assignment, and I think Waid was, in theory, a really sharp choice to attempt it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I still don't get how "Captain America was secretly a fascist" was allowed to get past the drunken spitballing phase. (I know what's-his-face is super into trump and basically forced it to go forward after a certain point, but there's a string of dumbasses who had to be on board with it to even get it to management in the first place.)

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
In Home of the Brave, the Rockwell Americana stuff only really lasts two issues, it's a quick rehab and reset that sets up a different kind of story immediately afterwards.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

I still don't get how "Captain America was secretly a fascist" was allowed to get past the drunken spitballing phase. (I know what's-his-face is super into trump and basically forced it to go forward after a certain point, but there's a string of dumbasses who had to be on board with it to even get it to management in the first place.)

I still maintain that, on paper, Evil Cap was/is not a bad idea. At least no more so than any other evil version or body-snatch of a superhero ever made. The problem was just a combination of poor execution and tragic timing with real world events.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
It seems like they had the idea of "Let's take that What If story where Cap gets replaced by a fascist double and turn it into a Major Marvel Event™" and the proceeded to make it really bloated and unfun, as they tend to do.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TwoPair posted:

I still maintain that, on paper, Evil Cap was/is not a bad idea. At least no more so than any other evil version or body-snatch of a superhero ever made. The problem was just a combination of poor execution and tragic timing with real world events.

i mean, evil cap is one thing, but making him a member of a neo-nazi group, considering the whole "created by two jewish men and punched hitler before america was even at war with germany" thing was in poor taste

the fact that the writer doubled down and made fun of people upset about that didn't help matters. it just came off really tone deaf and turned a lot of people off of marvel

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Senju Kannon posted:

i mean, evil cap is one thing, but making him a member of a neo-nazi group, considering the whole "created by two jewish men and punched hitler before america was even at war with germany" thing was in poor taste

The complaints about Secret Empire being a thing as naziism was on the rise in the US are legit but this part is super overblown.

It’s a comic, and the good, real, captain America came back and punched the bad fake one and everything went back to normal. It’s comics. It’s like the tenth time Cap has fought for the nazis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think part of the issue was it went on for awhile. Steve Rogers said "Hail Hydra" in July 2016 and Secret Empire ended more than a year later, combined with actual fascism making a big comeback at the time, it wasn't a good look. If it had been a 4-6 issue arc that would have been different.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Comics don't exist in a bubble. Acting as if they do is how you end up with a story where Cap becomes a Nazi when actual Nazis are making a comeback.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jordan7hm posted:

It’s a comic, and the good, real, captain America came back and punched the bad fake one and everything went back to normal.
but hydra-cap was the real one :confused::confused:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Ghostlight posted:

but hydra-cap was the real one :confused::confused:

Nazi Cap was TOTALLY the real deal until they decided that he wasn't.

They decided that the really for-reals Cap was squirreled away in some pocket dimension or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hydra Cap has the original body.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yeah, I'm just gonna erase that from my memory now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Too late.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Keeshhound posted:

Do you think Akira Yoshida thinks these things through?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I think this was before Cebulski was EIC.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess you're right. He became EIC in November 2017. Secret Empire ended August 2017.

AXELLLLLLLL!!!! :doom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Hydra Cap has the original body.

I'm sure it had already been replaced a dozen times anyway.