Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Also blame the Clinton campaign for deliberately choosing to neglect campaigning and outreach in places like that and pouring most of their resources into cities that were already going to vote for them.

Yeah I should have mentioned this. Probably the biggest Clinton campaign fuckup was the hubris of assuming that blue states would stay blue and only campaigning in states they saw as "swing" ones. There was no attempt to shore up support in traditional blue states, no attempt to counter Trump's actual message of economic/racial populism rather than attacking him as a person, and essentially no recognition that voters in traditionally blue states could be swayed by him since, to them, his bad comments absolutely ruled him out as a candidate. It appears Clinton ran more ads in Los Angeles than in Milwaukee, and had a single staffer in Brooklyn dedicated to rural outreach. Clinton ran a bad, bad, bad campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Postess with the Mostest posted:

You voted for the guy who promised to implement every TRC recommendation within hours of its release oh wait I get your point.

Yeah, I know. He was a great liar, and he won.

Now, here's the bonus question: did I actually believe he'd implement every TRC recommendation? What do you think?

Trudeau has basically done exactly what I expected him to do, which is why I'm, overall, fairly positive on the Trudeau government so far.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

PT6A posted:

Honestly, I think that's the problem: Hillary/the Democrats didn't lie enough.

I feel the same way; how ironic is it that not lying enough would contribute to her losing the election; turns out pragmatism isn't what non political nerds get excited about. And not doubling down on shaming deplorables; hell, tie it to her education platform.

I think liberals focus too much on platform and appeals to rationality when that doesn't capture undecided/underinformed voters; the platform and its feasibility doesn't matter if you lose the election. I think there's a lot to be learned from how Trump (and to a similar extent, Obama) won the election - campaign on big ideas, appeal to emotion, don't worry about policy (Trump's policy think tank didn't even get paid, the Obamacare of the campaign was impossible to implement) until you get elected.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

trump won on memes and filter bubbles and misogyny. i'm in texas right now and every single trump voter i talk to has no idea what his platform is; like at all. they can recount in minute detail every lie told about hillary clinton tho. i'm not just talking to the crazy ones either. it's literally all of them

the time to worry about facism in canada is when you start seeing stories in your fb feed about jt being investigated by the rcmp for treason, taking bribes from saudi arabia and calling all asians criminals when he was teaching poetry or whatever

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It'd be really hard to label Trudeau as in the pocket of Saudia Arabia as long as we don't do something stupid like let our arms manufacturers sell them tanks.

poo poo.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

trump won on memes and filter bubbles and misogyny. i'm in texas right now and every single trump voter i talk to has no idea what his platform is; like at all. they can recount in minute detail every lie told about hillary clinton tho. i'm not just talking to the crazy ones either. it's literally all of them

Clinton is a deplorable person even without the witch hunts and her sole qualifications over Trump is that she's less likely to poo poo the bed in a crisis. I mean I guess she'd also be complicit in beltway corruption instead of just being blindly carried along by it, but I'm not sure that's a positive.

Blaming misogyny is lazy and it's pretty obvious in retrospect that partisans on both sides, and not just the Right, were living in their own epistemic bubbles. If the #notmypresident children gave a drat or a second thought about achieving anything more than catharsis they would be protesting the DNC for helping elevate Trump to the forefront and for once again trying to coronate Clinton despite her repudiation in 2008.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2022

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

We all see this one making the rounds? The PCPO really is going to be the test ground isn't it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Why do white women dislike Clinton so much?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They are jealous of her success, and upset that she stayed with Bill for her own political career aspirations despite his multitude of transgressions.

Or because white women are closet misogynists

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Why do white women dislike Clinton so much?
Lots of people dislike Clinton a whole lot. Why is that surprising to people?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Clinton was in the pocket of wall street and also had a wide on for having the airforce blow the gently caress out of anything she didn't approve of.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-sachs/hillary-is-the-candidate_b_9168938.html

Strange some people didn't like her.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Wait, Hillary was a WARHAWK??? Next thing you know people will be saying things like the middle east foreign policy under her and Obama isn't her fault at all.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Well actually...

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/03/04/the-inside-story-of-how-the-white-house-let-diplomacy-fail-in-afghanistan/

quote:

The truth is that his administration made it extremely difficult for its own foreign-policy experts to be heard. Both Clinton and Holbrooke, two incredibly dedicated and talented people, had to fight to have their voices count on major foreign-policy initiatives.

Holbrooke never succeeded. Clinton did — but it was often a battle. It usually happened only when it finally became clear to a White House that jealously guarded all foreign policymaking — and then relied heavily on the military and intelligence agencies to guide its decisions — that these agencies’ solutions were no substitute for the type of patient, credible diplomacy that garners the respect and support of allies. Time and again, when things seemed to be falling apart, the administration finally turned to Clinton because it knew she was the only person who could save the situation.

On the campaign trail, Obama repeatedly stressed that he wanted to get things right in the broader Middle East, reversing the damage that had resulted from the previous administration’s reliance on faulty intelligence and its willingness to apply military solutions to problems it barely understood.

Not only did that not happen, but the president had a truly disturbing habit of funneling major foreign-policy decisions through a small cabal of relatively inexperienced White House advisors whose turf was strictly politics. Their primary concern was how any action in Afghanistan or the Middle East would play on the nightly news, or which talking point it would give the Republicans.

Writer is obviously biased in favour of Clinton, but this was written in 2013 and gives a more nuanced view of the situation than Hawkish Hillary.

e:

quote:

But Clinton shared Holbrooke’s belief that the purpose of hard power is to facilitate diplomatic breakthroughs. During many meetings I attended with her, she would ask us to make the case for diplomacy and would then quiz us on our assumptions and plan of action. At the end of these drills she would ask us to put it all in writing for the benefit of the White House.

rawrr fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 14, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

Yeah, I know. He was a great liar, and he won.

Now, here's the bonus question: did I actually believe he'd implement every TRC recommendation? What do you think?

Trudeau has basically done exactly what I expected him to do, which is why I'm, overall, fairly positive on the Trudeau government so far.

Good to know that your grasp on your own feelings is every bit as strong and consistent as your grasp on politics in general:

PT6A posted:

I'm beginning to regret voting Liberal and I don't even have legal weed to calm myself.

PT6A posted:

Goddamnit, why can't we have at least one party that isn't completely loving moronic? The Liberals can go get hosed at this point, as far as I'm concerned. They've made 0 progress on any of the issues I actually care about. As far as I can tell, their list of accomplishments is:

1. Accept more refugees (admittedly a good thing, but hopefully something that would've happened anyway)
2. Travel and take selfies all the time

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I have to say, watching Samantha Bee's segment on 'Hillary Rodham' was really goddamn sad though. I wanted a progressive firebrand like that in politics, not the hawkish establishment war monger that was served up. After that segment, I really can't tell if I'm angry at Hillary for betraying her principles, or annoyed at our American/Canadian culture for forcing her to in order to get anywhere in politics. Ironic that what she had to abandon on the ground floor may have cost her once she reached the glass ceiling.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/11/14/liberals-to-repeal-anal-sex-ban-in-criminal-code/

Wow, didn't know this anal sex poo poo was still in the Criminal Code

quote:

“Between 2008 and 2014 in Ontario, 22 people were charged with anal intercourse under Section 159

Yikes

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

rawrr posted:

Well actually...

http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/03/04/the-inside-story-of-how-the-white-house-let-diplomacy-fail-in-afghanistan/

Writer is obviously biased in favour of Clinton, but this was written in 2013 and gives a more nuanced view of the situation than Hawkish Hillary.

e:

Well actually..

Hillary Clinton posted:

You’ve seen the reports. Russia’s hacked into a lot of things, China’s hacked into a lot of things. Russia even hacked into the Democratic National Committee. Maybe even some state election systems? So we gotta step up our game. Make sure we are well defended and make sure we are able to take the fight to those who go after us. As president I will make it clear that the United States will treat cyber attacks just like any other attack. We will be ready with serious political, economic and military responses.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

crowoutofcontext posted:

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/11/14/liberals-to-repeal-anal-sex-ban-in-criminal-code/

Yikes

butt stuff criminals

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

crowoutofcontext posted:

Yikes

I'm guessing those incidents were just prosecutors piling up chages during a rape caae.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

I can see why you're reading that as "if my e-mails are hacked I'll be bombing the Kremlin", but I read that as it was stated, that those are three ways that the US can "be ready with" to respond to state sponsored cyberattacks. Maybe the ~optics~ would be less terrible to people who don't give her the benefit of the doubt, if she clarified that the response would be proportional to the impact of the attacks. If there isn't a policy in place like how things are currently then there is no downside to engaging in cyberattacks.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

JVNO posted:

I have to say, watching Samantha Bee's segment on 'Hillary Rodham' was really goddamn sad though. I wanted a progressive firebrand like that in politics, not the hawkish establishment war monger that was served up. After that segment, I really can't tell if I'm angry at Hillary for betraying her principles, or annoyed at our American/Canadian culture for forcing her to in order to get anywhere in politics. Ironic that what she had to abandon on the ground floor may have cost her once she reached the glass ceiling.

Give me a loving break. The Clinton's were deeply embedded within the 'New Democrats' faction of the party which took over in the 1990s and decided to abandon labour and to aggressively court Wall Street. Clinton's people went out of their way to lock up the nomination long before it started by cutting backdoor deals with every major power broker in the party. A pro-Clinton hack was put in place as chair of the Democratic National Committee and proceeded to arrange a debate schedule that would heavily favour Clinton. We know that Democratic officials were leaking primary debate questions to Hilary in advance and that Democratic party officials discussed whether they could somehow use Sanders' Jewish heritage to discredit him. Even after Debbie Wasserman Schultz was forced to resign for not remaining neutral during the primary she was immediately hired by the Clinton campaign.

Nobody forced the Clinton's to be the way that they are. Sanders demonstrated that the party could run a genuinely independent candidate and still pack stadiums full of people and still fundraise hundreds of millions of dollars in small donations. And Trump then demonstrated that even without massive spending you could still win over voters with a strong anti-establishment message. Clinton chose to rely on big money donations because those are exactly the kinds of politics the Clinton's have always practiced not because they were somehow forced into it.

And even the people who will defend Clinton's horrible relationship to Wall Street tend to at least recognize that hawkishness was a genuine Clinton character trait and not something forced on her. She voted for the war in Iraq when most of her party was opposed to it. She oversaw the catastrophic bombing campaign in Libya and turned it from a civilian protection operation into a government destroying military campaign that left the country controlled by violent jihadist gangs (which even Obama admits lead to his greatest foreign policy mistake in office), she mocked Obama's "don't do stupid poo poo" rule in foreign policy, and she was surrounding herself with war hawks and gearing up for a massive escalation in Syria and a confrontation with Russia.

Hilary Clinton wanted to be a feminist icon, so let's grant her a bit of agency and admit that she was the cause of her own misfortunes, and that nobody forced her to become the embodiment of everything wrong with the contemporary Democratic party. Want somebody to be angry at? Be angry at her, her wretched husband, and the sitting President who made such a mess of his two terms in office that the American electorate was willing to turn to an orange coloured authoritarian thug rather than continue with the status quo.

Clinton's stated position in the debates was that she would seek to impose a no fly zone on Syria. That would mean handing the country over to violent jihadists and standing by while the remaining government controlled sections of the country were massacred by groups like Jabhat Fatah al-Sham. It also would have meant potentially shooting down Russian air craft, i.e. playing with the possibility of starting a Third World War. And for what? Why exactly should America be helping a rebellion that has been entirely taken over at this point by Al Qaeda affiliates? Or, more likely, because Clinton and her advisers think it's the job of the American empire to act as the enforcer of Saudi Arabia, Israel, and all the other American allies who think any level of collateral damage and human misery is a worthwhile price to pay to eliminate the Syrian government, even if that means handing the rest of the country over to terrorist militias, just like what happened in Libya.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

rawrr posted:

I can see why you're reading that as "if my e-mails are hacked I'll be bombing the Kremlin", but I read that as it was stated, that those are three ways that the US can "be ready with" to respond to state sponsored cyberattacks. Maybe the ~optics~ would be less terrible to people who don't give her the benefit of the doubt, if she clarified that the response would be proportional to the impact of the attacks. If there isn't a policy in place like how things are currently then there is no downside to engaging in cyberattacks.

"the United States will treat cyber attacks just like any other attack" That can only mean that she's going to ramp up the response to cyber attacks right? There's no lesser attacks. We're not going to treat cyber attacks like tickle attacks. I have to read that as her saying cyber attacks will be treated like other types of attacks that would warrant a harsher counterattack.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

When asked if she'd be willing to shoot down Russian jets Hilary said she doubted it would "come to that". So yeah, this woman wanted to play chicken with Putin. What vital American interest she was serving, or even what humanitarian goal she thought was was improving in a situation where the only possible victors are Assad (bad) or the jihadists (inconceivably awful) is a mystery. But when you're as much of a hawk as Hilary is I guess the idea that maybe America doesn't need to be inserting itself into another quagmire just because Israel and Saudis want them to is a foreign concept.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

I kind of agree with most of this, except:

Helsing posted:

(...) the sitting President who made such a mess of his two terms in office (...)

And what did you expect him to do when dealing with an openly rebellious Congress who swore up and down they'd veto any significant changes he tried to enact? Usually with no better reason than "It's Obama's idea"?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
When Trump won, there was a little part of me that went "phew, at least we're not putting boots on the ground in Syria now."

Of course, he'll probably prove me wrong.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Helsing posted:

When asked if she'd be willing to shoot down Russian jets Hilary said she doubted it would "come to that". So yeah, this woman wanted to play chicken with Putin. What vital American interest she was serving, or even what humanitarian goal she thought was was improving in a situation where the only possible victors are Assad (bad) or the jihadists (inconceivably awful) is a mystery. But when you're as much of a hawk as Hilary is I guess the idea that maybe America doesn't need to be inserting itself into another quagmire just because Israel and Saudis want them to is a foreign concept.

If Trump defunds the foreign aid to the middle east I will admit he made america great again. Trudeau should stop cashing Saudi cheques while were talking politics and awful regions.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

"the United States will treat cyber attacks just like any other attack" That can only mean that she's going to ramp up the response to cyber attacks right? There's no lesser attacks. We're not going to treat cyber attacks like tickle attacks. I have to read that as her saying cyber attacks will be treated like other types of attacks that would warrant a harsher counterattack.

What's special about cyber attacks, by state actors, against another state's interests that doesn't warrant countermeasures like other types of attacks? They have the potential to ruin people's lives (OPM hack), or bias the democratic process (Podesta leaks), so why shouldn't there be a policy of proportional responses as a matter of policy?

The policy issue is that there's no precedent and perpetrators are more difficult to identify, so formulating a proportional response is more difficult. But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be consequences. Say, if military networks were hacked/impaired/or interfered with in some way, why shouldn't there be a military response, the same way the US took out radar sites in Yemen after its destroyers were fired upon?

rawrr fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 14, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jan posted:

I kind of agree with most of this, except:

And what did you expect him to do when dealing with an openly rebellious Congress who swore up and down they'd veto any significant changes he tried to enact? Usually with no better reason than "It's Obama's idea"?

He could have appointed a better Attorney General and made a point of visibly pursuing criminal fraud charges against Wall Street, which is what should have happened. He could have twisted way more arms behind the scenes to get a better healthcare bill passed back when he had a majority in Congress, and if necessary he could have passed healthcare via budget reconciliation. He could have followed through on his promise to provide real and substantial relief to people who were underwater with their mortgages. He could have taken the threat to Ted Kennedy's seat more seriously and not allowed one of the most liberal jurisdictions in the country to elect Scott Brown. He could have not appointed a pro-austerity deficit commission and pivoted away from recovery just in time for the catastrophic mid-term elections in 2010. He could have treated Occupy Wall Street as a potential ally in pushing for more populist programs instead of having his justice department coordinate with local police forces to violently shut down the camps. He could have not pushed for the dogshit NAFTA-on-steroids bill that was the TPP. He could have used his influential position to steer the Democratic party away from the Rubinite economics of the Clinton years, instead of appoint Rubinites to run everything.

Hell, as President he was also de facto leader of his party so arguably he also could have used his behind the scenes influence to stop the Democratic establishment from coronating Hilary rather than having a proper primary with a field of proper, electable candidates. I mean, I'm all for what Bernie represents, but the fact is that Sanders only caught on because every serious candidate who might have run was convinced not to behind the scenes. The Democrats tried to arrange their candidate through behind-the-scenes deal making and then they didn't realize what a huge red flag it was when their own party reacted by very nearly elected an independent Jewish socialist from a tiny blue state rather than accepting the awful centrist crap that was being forced on them.

The people who exonerate Obama seem to have somehow forgotten all the actual details of the Obama years, especially in his first term when he had a proper majority in both houses of Congress. Was Obama constrained by the limitations on the office of President? Absolutely. Could he have done way, way, way more than he did to actually help regular Americans feeling anxious about the economy? Hell yes he could have.

Now Obama and the Democrats are going to get the legacy they deserves: Donald J. Trump. Unfortunately the rest of us will have to live with that legacy while he retires to a life of golfing and giving paid speeches.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

When Trump won, there was a little part of me that went "phew, at least we're not putting boots on the ground in Syria now."

Of course, he'll probably prove me wrong.

So what are you gonna think when John Bolton is Secretary of State

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Just lol if you think Trump won't send troops to war

If it makes him a buck he will do it

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Just lol if you think Trump won't send troops to war

If it makes him a buck he will do it

He literally said he'd order troops to fire on Iranian military for buzzing American naval vessels.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Helsing posted:

Give me a loving break. The Clinton's were deeply embedded within the 'New Democrats' faction of the party which took over in the 1990s and decided to abandon labour and to aggressively court Wall Street. Clinton's people went out of their way to lock up the nomination long before it started by cutting backdoor deals with every major power broker in the party. A pro-Clinton hack was put in place as chair of the Democratic National Committee and proceeded to arrange a debate schedule that would heavily favour Clinton. We know that Democratic officials were leaking primary debate questions to Hilary in advance and that Democratic party officials discussed whether they could somehow use Sanders' Jewish heritage to discredit him. Even after Debbie Wasserman Schultz was forced to resign for not remaining neutral during the primary she was immediately hired by the Clinton campaign.

Nobody forced the Clinton's to be the way that they are. Sanders demonstrated that the party could run a genuinely independent candidate and still pack stadiums full of people and still fundraise hundreds of millions of dollars in small donations. And Trump then demonstrated that even without massive spending you could still win over voters with a strong anti-establishment message. Clinton chose to rely on big money donations because those are exactly the kinds of politics the Clinton's have always practiced not because they were somehow forced into it.

And even the people who will defend Clinton's horrible relationship to Wall Street tend to at least recognize that hawkishness was a genuine Clinton character trait and not something forced on her. She voted for the war in Iraq when most of her party was opposed to it. She oversaw the catastrophic bombing campaign in Libya and turned it from a civilian protection operation into a government destroying military campaign that left the country controlled by violent jihadist gangs (which even Obama admits lead to his greatest foreign policy mistake in office), she mocked Obama's "don't do stupid poo poo" rule in foreign policy, and she was surrounding herself with war hawks and gearing up for a massive escalation in Syria and a confrontation with Russia.

Hilary Clinton wanted to be a feminist icon, so let's grant her a bit of agency and admit that she was the cause of her own misfortunes, and that nobody forced her to become the embodiment of everything wrong with the contemporary Democratic party. Want somebody to be angry at? Be angry at her, her wretched husband, and the sitting President who made such a mess of his two terms in office that the American electorate was willing to turn to an orange coloured authoritarian thug rather than continue with the status quo.

Clinton's stated position in the debates was that she would seek to impose a no fly zone on Syria. That would mean handing the country over to violent jihadists and standing by while the remaining government controlled sections of the country were massacred by groups like Jabhat Fatah al-Sham. It also would have meant potentially shooting down Russian air craft, i.e. playing with the possibility of starting a Third World War. And for what? Why exactly should America be helping a rebellion that has been entirely taken over at this point by Al Qaeda affiliates? Or, more likely, because Clinton and her advisers think it's the job of the American empire to act as the enforcer of Saudi Arabia, Israel, and all the other American allies who think any level of collateral damage and human misery is a worthwhile price to pay to eliminate the Syrian government, even if that means handing the rest of the country over to terrorist militias, just like what happened in Libya.

100% agreed. Excellent post Helsing.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

rawrr posted:

What's special about cyber attacks, by state actors, against another state's interests that doesn't warrant countermeasures like other types of attacks? They have the potential to ruin people's lives (OPM hack), or bias the demographic process (Podesta leaks), so why shouldn't there be a policy of proportional responses as a matter of policy?

The policy issue is that because there's no precedent and perpetrators are more difficult to identify, so formulating a proportional response is more difficult. But that doesn't mean there shouldn't be consequences. Say, if military networks were hacked/impaired/or interfered with in some way, why shouldn't there be a military response, the same way the US took out radar sites in Yemen after its destroyers were fired upon?

She can already treat a cyberattack like a cyberattack. What she said is she is going to be treating it like worse kinds of attacks that would require a stronger response. As if people are still seriously blaming the Russians too, at the risk of giving osi an aneurysm jesus christ look at this poo poo http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/28/13456368/how-john-podesta-email-got-hacked. So much more likely it was a disgruntled and imo justified Berner.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Scorchy posted:

So what are you gonna think when John Bolton is Secretary of State

I think we're getting a front row seat to The Peter Principle in action.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
See the sad thing about all this is I've been saying to people for months that Trump was going to win because Clinton is a gigantic piece of poo poo that can't even whip up support and now that I'm right about that my happiness that the Clinton dynasty is coming to an end is tempered by the fact that I in no way think Trump will be anything but a crappy president.

Welp.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

EvilJoven posted:

See the sad thing about all this is I've been saying to people for months that Trump was going to win because Clinton is a gigantic piece of poo poo that can't even whip up support and now that I'm right about that my happiness that the Clinton dynasty is coming to an end is tempered by the fact that I in no way think Trump will be anything but a crappy president.

Welp.

Congrats on being a broken clock

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

She can already treat a cyberattack like a cyberattack. What she said is she is going to be treating it like worse kinds of attacks that would require a stronger response. As if people are still seriously blaming the Russians too, at the risk of giving osi an aneurysm jesus christ look at this poo poo http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2016/10/28/13456368/how-john-podesta-email-got-hacked. So much more likely it was a disgruntled and imo justified Berner.

Then we're just disagreeing on what "treating a cyberattack like a cyberattack" means, because so far it means doing nothing, and I'm for some kind of response proportional to the impact, but I can see how you can read her quote as her being eager to escalate.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I'm curious to what you guys think a cyberattack consists of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OSI bean dip posted:

I'm curious to what you guys think a cyberattack consists of.

I have to assume that ITT, it involves some sort of samurai and a nerdy dwarf in a van.