Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It's a dystopian future were eugenics is achieved by sending everyone at retirement age to Midsomer.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I had no idea Indian Summers was back. It's already on episode three. They kept that one quiet, compared to the crazy amount of marketing the last season got.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The guy who animated Trap Door has died. A sad day for plasticine fans everywhere.

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty

goatface posted:

The guy who animated Trap Door has died. A sad day for plasticine fans everywhere.

And co-creator of Stoppit and Tidyup. As my avatar may suggest, his work has had a lasting influence on me.

I hope you're bonking things, stuffing worms into holes and looking at Boni's body in the animator's afterlife Terry Brain :smith:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Sooo........anybody watch 'The Island' last night? I must confess I love those sorts of shows, there was one on Discovery called 'Naked and Afraid' which was a similar set-up except....they were all naked!! Woo.

Anyway, I thought the women started off very strong until the debacle with the water, unlike last year where IIRC they split up, got lost and walked around in circles for three days. While I have massive respect for the woman who lost a leg to a landmine, for someone who doesn't want to be defined by her missing limb, she sure went on about it a lot. Think the farmer lady is going to be a lot of fun to watch, I suspect she won't be keeping any stray piglets as pets for very long.

I love the bits where they all introduce themselves- 'I'm a Doctor!' *cheer* 'I'm a chef!' *cheer* 'I'm an insurance salesman!' *crickets*

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Rondette posted:

Sooo........anybody watch 'The Island' last night? I must confess I love those sorts of shows, there was one on Discovery called 'Naked and Afraid' which was a similar set-up except....they were all naked!! Woo.

Anyway, I thought the women started off very strong until the debacle with the water, unlike last year where IIRC they split up, got lost and walked around in circles for three days. While I have massive respect for the woman who lost a leg to a landmine, for someone who doesn't want to be defined by her missing limb, she sure went on about it a lot. Think the farmer lady is going to be a lot of fun to watch, I suspect she won't be keeping any stray piglets as pets for very long.

I love the bits where they all introduce themselves- 'I'm a Doctor!' *cheer* 'I'm a chef!' *cheer* 'I'm an insurance salesman!' *crickets*

I think the doctor will prove to be the real star of the series. In the way the iceberg was the real star of Titanic. First she introduced herself as "Alice. As in Alice In Wonderland", because it's such a difficult and foreign name. Then she recommended poisoned water and rest to combat the water poisoning everyone was going through caused by the water she found in a stagnant lagoon, proving knowing something, but not everything, is more dangerous than knowing nothing. Last year the tribe knew salt was a preservative, so kept meat in barrels of salt water (not knowing water is what bacteria likes).

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Did these people not pay attention in GCSE history and science?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Padje posted:

I think the doctor will prove to be the real star of the series. In the way the iceberg was the real star of Titanic. First she introduced herself as "Alice. As in Alice In Wonderland", because it's such a difficult and foreign name. Then she recommended poisoned water and rest to combat the water poisoning everyone was going through caused by the water she found in a stagnant lagoon, proving knowing something, but not everything, is more dangerous than knowing nothing. Last year the tribe knew salt was a preservative, so kept meat in barrels of salt water (not knowing water is what bacteria likes).

She was so proud of herself too.

Also, can you imagine being stuck on the island with Riz, not only did he freak out and hold everyone up for hours, he snored all night starving everyone of sleep. I wonder if he'll get cooked and eaten.

Interesting to see that it appears the two 'tribes' meet up fairly quickly. It'll be interesting to watch, if nothing else.

If you can find it, I'd recommend Naked and Afraid, they start off in small groups and some meet up, some don't. Once you get over the goofy name and butt-cracks, it's pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDufd51Mk1o

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Padje posted:

Last year the tribe knew salt was a preservative, so kept meat in barrels of salt water (not knowing water is what bacteria likes).

You can do this if you supersaturate the salt. Anything that lives in the super-brine is probably something that won't be interested in you. You have to let it soak in fresh water for a day or two before you eat it though.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Caught up with Taskmaster over the weekend, that was some good poo poo. Very much looking forward to next series. The episode where they got Josh to count the beans and other canned foods for no reason and no points at all was genius, such a good idea!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Holy gently caress that last episode of fresh meat was incredible. Totally nailed the weird unique feeling you get leaving uni. Also having Vod do better than Oregon was just the most hilarious thing. Really hasn't been her year.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Padje posted:

"Everyone has started throwing up after all drinking from the same water source? Better keep drinking, it'll make you feel better".

Although the guys building their camp on a tidal beach is almost as stupid.

I will admit, I love this show, based purely on schadenfreude.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Just how anyone is left alive in Midsomer at this point I've no clue.

The latest series of tongue-in-cheek detective show Midsomer Murders is drawing to a close. The murder rate in the fictional county of Midsomer has been estimated at 32 per million, in excess of the England and Wales figures.

I've just finished The Night Manager, really enjoyable performances, especially by Hollander. Tempted to track down the book - I've only read Spy Who Came in from the Cold and Tinker Tailor - both of which were enjoyable but a bit of a slog at the age I read them.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Akuma posted:

Did these people not pay attention in GCSE history and science?

Guess not... wolves anyone?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Guys.

Drunk Phil Mitchell is back.

A close silver medal behind Crackhead Phil Mitchell, but still comedy gold.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Guys.

Drunk Phil Mitchell is back.

A close silver medal behind Crackhead Phil Mitchell, but still comedy gold.

This is the funniest Eastenders I've seen in years. From Ben pathetically unable to suffocate a drunk man, to Phil Mitchell's poo poo eating grin as he stole a digger. Amazing.

I knew Phil was really troubled when he put that wool hat on.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
"Beer. Beer. I need beer!"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
2016 claims another victim, this time Ronnie Corbett. Remember watching The Two Ronnies with my granddad way back when

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SEX BURRITO posted:

I had no idea Indian Summers was back. It's already on episode three. They kept that one quiet, compared to the crazy amount of marketing the last season got.

I was thinking that too, it had tonnes of billboards up - since I don't watch TV adverts it's the only sort of advertising I really see. I wonder if they decided they'd got their audience and those people were comitted enough that they'd be back without having to go mad like last time?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

New Top Gear looks decent from the trailers. Might be worth a watch.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Octy posted:

New Top Gear looks decent from the trailers. Might be worth a watch.

I'll give it a shot just because it's not the old cast, so I don't need to voluntarily listen to Jeremy Clarkson.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Only just saw the first episode of THE ISLAND, but landing on the beach and then immediately breaking down and crying as that one fella did is such a strange reaction.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Taear posted:

I was thinking that too, it had tonnes of billboards up - since I don't watch TV adverts it's the only sort of advertising I really see. I wonder if they decided they'd got their audience and those people were comitted enough that they'd be back without having to go mad like last time?

I hadn't seen any billboards. Only a couple of TV ads which didn't even give the date of the season premiere. It's a shame because this season seems to be much more exciting than the last. It's more focused on the Indian independence movement rather than the boring forbidden love poo poo. There's even a new villan with a cool moustache.

Why is Gok Wan suddenly presenting a cooking show on daytime TV? Have they run out of celebrity chefs?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just watched The Island, hilarious stuff. My highlight was when they were desperately trying to make fire the guy who'd caused them to sleep on the jungle floor in the dark all night was over praying somewhere rather than helping. Although to be fair he did pull it out the bag in the end.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jakabite posted:

Just watched The Island, hilarious stuff. My highlight was when they were desperately trying to make fire the guy who'd caused them to sleep on the jungle floor in the dark all night was over praying somewhere rather than helping. Although to be fair he did pull it out the bag in the end.

They always seem to have something like that, wasn't there a useless mopey guy last year (or the year before) that moped off and everyone hated him, then he found a beehive and they got honey and he became their new god. Something like that anyway.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Jakabite posted:

I still can't get my head around Alice (As in Alice In Wonderland), the doctor, giving people stagnant water and not at all clocking when one person is violently ill.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Odds she's not a real doctor?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

I still can't get my head around Alice (As in Alice In Wonderland), the doctor, giving people stagnant water and not at all clocking when one person is violently ill.

Weren't multiple people, all of whom drank from the very obviously scummy stagnant water, violently ill?

I bet she's a nutritionist or a chiropractor or one of those other ones that sounds like a doctor that anyone can call themselves.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No. She's a hospital doctor. :stare:

http://m.marketrasenmail.co.uk/news/local/doctor-takes-on-big-bear-grylls-challenge-1-7303117

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lincolnshire

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

DrVenkman posted:

Only just saw the first episode of THE ISLAND, but landing on the beach and then immediately breaking down and crying as that one fella did is such a strange reaction.

I've been on nights out where someone I've never been out with before will immediately start to panic. He seems the sort of guy to have gone from living with a doting mum to living with a doting wife, all the while thinking he's the big man despite selling toys for a living. Imagine having no experiences in life but suddenly find yourself on a scary island.

DrVenkman posted:

Some people are blind to a problem if they had a hand in it. The water can't be the problem as Alice (as in Alice in Wonderland) found it herself, so it must be some sand-based virus. Haha she even said it tasted 'eggy'.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

It's especially weird when you consider that they must've had at least a few days training/teaching before they actually got there. I'm pretty sure that "if it's stagnant and it tastes salty then don't loving drink it you doofus" must've been day 1 of their orientation.

It's easy to criticise the people on these shows when in all likelihood few of us would fare much better, but this is one mistake I'm pretty confident even I wouldn't make.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
A deep plant by Jeremy Hunt to discredit the NHS.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Weren't multiple people, all of whom drank from the very obviously scummy stagnant water, violently ill?

I bet she's a nutritionist or a chiropractor or one of those other ones that sounds like a doctor that anyone can call themselves.

One woman is violently ill, there's one other who states that she woke up feeling really sick, but I think that was it.

Captain Mediocre posted:

It's especially weird when you consider that they must've had at least a few days training/teaching before they actually got there. I'm pretty sure that "if it's stagnant and it tastes salty then don't loving drink it you doofus" must've been day 1 of their orientation.

It's easy to criticise the people on these shows when in all likelihood few of us would fare much better, but this is one mistake I'm pretty confident even I wouldn't make.

I don't know how Grylls didn't storm in there asking them what the gently caress they think they're doing.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
If you guys like The Island you should watch Ed Stafford: Naked and Marooned. It's a three part documentary originally on the discovery channel about a guy who spends 60 days on an island by himself. Really interesting watch and quite satisfying as he actually learns to adapt and survive. This same guy was also the first person to ever walk the length of the Amazon river which is just crazy.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

NaDy posted:

If you guys like The Island you should watch Ed Stafford: Naked and Marooned. It's a three part documentary originally on the discovery channel about a guy who spends 60 days on an island by himself*. Really interesting watch and quite satisfying as he actually learns to adapt and survive. This same guy was also the first person to ever walk the length of the Amazon river which is just crazy.

*apart from the medical team he called in when he ate some bad raw shellfish

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You just reminded me about Alone in the Wild on Channel 4 back in 2009, where Ed Wardle tried to survive in the Yukon for three months completely alone. He gradually got more and more undernourished and completely hosed up by the isolation. I won't spoil the ending in case anyone seeks it out but the end of the last episode was quite harrowing.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I thought I'd try and catch up on a couple of episodes of the 100 and would use my neat Chromecast device to play it on my TV rather than just on a small laptop screen. But good god All4 seems designed to stop people from watching their TV shows. So resistant that it's actually crashed the whole thing so nothing will work on it any more! They must hire people whose sole job it is to stop people from using their products (this is a very British Thing to do mind you- see also our train lines). I'm sure there's ways around it and it'll be better once I've restarted everything but I guess I'll just skip em in the meantime.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You're not missing out. Like, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I really liked the concept behind the 100 and wanted it to be good so badly but gently caress me that is a terrible tv show