Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I tried this one quest that warned mech clusters would attack constantly. It was pretty drat right, a new one spawned every 12 hours of the 4 days. Maybe could have been possible with like 10 more mortars. MMMmm the plasteel I'm missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
All of those quest types are surprisingly hard, even the tribal enemy ones. It also misleads you a lot about what kind of enemies it's going to send against you.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Those "every X hours" raid quests are a LOOSE approximation. I got one that said I would get one raid every 18 hours and I got a second raid dropping right on top of me while the first raid was still running up towards my walls. I was outnumbered 5 to 1 with half the enemies starting in my kitchen and hospital.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I like to stack the quests together so the mechanoid cluster gets to eat the tribal raids that are hitting the same time.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

- make yummy lavish meals so nobody is interested in raw meat unless they're super into raw meat
- hunters always carry their kills back even if they're normally exempt from hauling labor, unless interrupted e.g. by the "animal revenge" thing

I have never had any problems with the UI, it's heaps heaps heaps better than pretty much any similar game I've heard of. What aspects of the UI are giving you problems?

- Their eating raw meat over safe nutrient paste that's dumb. If I had wanted to set up cooking I would have done so and probably wouldn't even have the nutrient dispenser. I think the default should be them eating the paste instead of raw uncooked meat, but maybe I'm crazy like that.

- That doesn't solve me just telling units to kill animals and them not hauling them off. It doesn't matter that it's not the proper way. Why wouldn't I want that? Because I'm role playing a vegetarian town and needed to kill a manhunter? Okay but in general I'm going to want them to haul the thing I killed instead of wandering off.

Better than Dwarf Fortress does not equal good. Besides you not having issues (which you very well might have but ignore/tolerate) doesn't really matter to me having issues. The UI is bad because I haven't adapted to it in 40 hours. It should have taken less than half an hour. I mean sure I'm dumb but really at a certain point you have to wonder hey this is poo poo right? Why does it work it work this way? Oh that character is drafted, that means you can't tell him to do x please undraft him then tell him to do x. Information buried deeper then it should. Too many unimportant alerts, stacking up and not disappearing when information is irrelevant.

It just feels like not only am I fighting the pawns inability to do basic tasks (oh yeah I should get that mod that has sleeping be a lower priority then treating the bleeding person) but the interface itself.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Those "every X hours" raid quests are a LOOSE approximation. I got one that said I would get one raid every 18 hours and I got a second raid dropping right on top of me while the first raid was still running up towards my walls. I was outnumbered 5 to 1 with half the enemies starting in my kitchen and hospital.

I got one that was like "you'll be attacked by pirates, and then soon after, you'll be attacked by pirates again" and then the second group spawned like 30 seconds after the first did lmao. I mean yeah that's soon after but geeze

Thankfully they were both siege groups and I was able to let the second group set up while I murdered the first, and then murdered the second group for free siege equipment

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

- Their eating raw meat over safe nutrient paste that's dumb. If I had wanted to set up cooking I would have done so and probably wouldn't even have the nutrient dispenser. I think the default should be them eating the paste instead of raw uncooked meat, but maybe I'm crazy like that.

- That doesn't solve me just telling units to kill animals and them not hauling them off. It doesn't matter that it's not the proper way. Why wouldn't I want that? Because I'm role playing a vegetarian town and needed to kill a manhunter? Okay but in general I'm going to want them to haul the thing I killed instead of wandering off.

Better than Dwarf Fortress does not equal good. Besides you not having issues (which you very well might have but ignore/tolerate) doesn't really matter to me having issues. The UI is bad because I haven't adapted to it in 40 hours. It should have taken less than half an hour. I mean sure I'm dumb but really at a certain point you have to wonder hey this is poo poo right? Why does it work it work this way? Oh that character is drafted, that means you can't tell him to do x please undraft him then tell him to do x. Information buried deeper then it should. Too many unimportant alerts, stacking up and not disappearing when information is irrelevant.

It just feels like not only am I fighting the pawns inability to do basic tasks (oh yeah I should get that mod that has sleeping be a lower priority then treating the bleeding person) but the interface itself.

The UI is not perfect but this feels more like a you issue then an issue with the game after that long playing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

both types of food have a mood malus, make good food and they'll prefer to eat the good food instead of the bad food :shrug:

quote:

The hunting job works perfectly fine, if you're not happy with the way military draft behaves I guess tough poo poo for you. US Army don't pick up the dead people they shot and carry them home to eat. At least not usually.

quote:

Better than Dwarf Fortress does not equal good.

I was gonna try to help you out with making the UI more useful but it doesn't sound like you want that, which is fine :shrug:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I go into the colonist food tab (on their health page, I think) and make sure to remove things I never, ever want them to eat from even their allowed list of food possibilities.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah it works like setting an outfit, you just make one that's like "don't eat Raw Meat idiot" and it becomes a preset you can set other pawns to back in the "Assign" tab

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So last time I had a trading expedition that included plenty of meals for the people and a stack of kibble for the animals, everyone came home super pissed off because they had to live on kibble for a few days, and angrily put back all the uneaten meals. So I got in the habit of only sending them with meals. I realized last night that was several versions ago now, and I should probably revisit it. Was this fixed at some point?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My duster making issue: I did not understand just how resource intensive a duster is!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh you really were out of textile?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Decrees are really getting to me.

I have no idea how big this growing area needs to be.

Last night I got one that wanted me to grow and harvest around 800 raw fungus. I had no loving idea what raw fungus is and still kind of don't. According to the wiki it grows in caves and cannot be farmed. Seemed like a literally impossible quest so I just devmode completed it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I know I've seen at least one full size map in the last few pages of this thread. Is there any easy way of saving your entire map as an image? Besides taking several screenshots and manually combining them? I think a mod that took a screenshot like that every day/week so you could see your progress would be neat.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Duck and Cover posted:

Management games that have your pawns be infuriatingly stupid, aren't good no matter how funny it can be for the "story". Well at least I can't qualify the end product as good. There's good in their sure but if I have to heavily mod my game (or worse can't) to fix it it's a problem. For fucks sake haul that drat monkey you killed into the freezer on your way back you stupid gently caress. Eat if your hungry! Why did you eat raw meat over nutrient paste? AAAAAHHHHHHhh. Oh yeah and while I'm dumb I shouldn't be struggling with the interface 40+ hours in.

Now excuse me I gotta make the best mountain base!

Disagree. My dupes often wall themselves into inescapable doom, then suffocate or burn to death while racing towards oxygen.

Different game, but there is such a thing as delightfully stupid. Rimworld just has much higher stakes, so dumb pawns are more of an issue.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Speaking of storage containers, I'm running two mods for inventory right now: One that increases stack size, and the other adds storage units in the game. They are supposed to play nicely together, but what ends up happening is that the storage units are supposed to hold 2 tiles worth of items at increased capacity, but end up only holding 1 single item. I'd still trying to figure out where the right balance is, but both these mods don't really work well together, so I either need to go to one, or find better inventory mods.

I also have some furniture mods (vanilla spacer furniture?). One of the upgrades makes it so that anything stored in it actually repairs over time, which is really cool and I immediately started hanging my marine armor quest reward in it, so it can get repaired between raids. However, my pawns are to stupid to move the marine armor out of the storage unit when it's fully repaired, and I'm not microing that. I know there's a mod that enables a tailoring repair bench, but that's on the opposite side of balance where you can just flatly repair anything pretty easily. I'd much rather use something like this mod where it requires components, a lot of research, and power all to slowly repair a single item at a time. I'd just prefer my pawns actually, you know, switch items out afterwards.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know I've seen at least one full size map in the last few pages of this thread. Is there any easy way of saving your entire map as an image? Besides taking several screenshots and manually combining them? I think a mod that took a screenshot like that every day/week so you could see your progress would be neat.

you mean like this one

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

User0015 posted:

I also have some furniture mods (vanilla spacer furniture?). One of the upgrades makes it so that anything stored in it actually repairs over time, which is really cool and I immediately started hanging my marine armor quest reward in it, so it can get repaired between raids. However, my pawns are to stupid to move the marine armor out of the storage unit when it's fully repaired, and I'm not microing that. I know there's a mod that enables a tailoring repair bench, but that's on the opposite side of balance where you can just flatly repair anything pretty easily. I'd much rather use something like this mod where it requires components, a lot of research, and power all to slowly repair a single item at a time. I'd just prefer my pawns actually, you know, switch items out afterwards.

I haven't used that mod, but I assume the repair shelf uses the default storage interface. Can you not just adjust the repair shelf storage options to not allow stuff that's at 100% durability? They won't necessarily prioritize it but eventually a hauler will move it to a stockpile that accepts it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

User0015 posted:

However, my pawns are to stupid to move the marine armor out of the storage unit when it's fully repaired, and I'm not microing that. I know there's a mod that enables a tailoring repair bench, but that's on the opposite side of balance where you can just flatly repair anything pretty easily. I'd much rather use something like this mod where it requires components, a lot of research, and power all to slowly repair a single item at a time. I'd just prefer my pawns actually, you know, switch items out afterwards.

Set the repair shelf to only stock things up to 99% durability. This is an option in all stockpiles, but you probably never used it before so you didn't notice it was a thing.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

I honestly don't think its an option on this particular mod item. You mean the "refill cells at %" slider? I swear I looked, but I'll double check.

OwlFancier you always answer my questions so fast. Thanks. :love:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

User0015 posted:

I honestly don't think its an option on this particular mod item. You mean the "refill cells at %" slider? I swear I looked, but I'll double check.

The what??

I used that vanilla expanded mod so unless they've changed it recently it should just use the normal storage interface. Did they add some sort of fuel requirement to it? If so it still presumably has an interface to control what items you put in it, no? It should have a slider on that somewhere that only allows items of certain qualities and durabilities. On the interface you presumably used to make it store marine armour?

Happy to help if it's something I know about.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

User0015 posted:

no not that, that's for only putting a % of a stack into a stockpile, it's in the menu where you choose what to be in the stockpile, there should be a bar where you can choose min and max durability of items, set the max to 99%

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Nalesh posted:

no not that, that's for only putting a % of a stack into a stockpile, it's in the menu where you choose what to be in the stockpile, there should be a bar where you can choose min and max durability of items, set the max to 99%

Oh hell, I forgot about that.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Camera+ can zoom out far back.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=867467808

Sometime the game takes the right event for the art on weapons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I should probably try an alien race mod at some point, I've never played as anything but humans, but it'd be fun to play as skaven given I always live in mountains anyway.

E: Ok so fun fact... ratkin aren't skaven...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is there a way to limit what pets eat (or are fed) now? I got a quest to take care of 7 wounded labs, and despite the fact that there is a pile of kibble next to them, everyone is constantly feeding them fine meals. No! No people food!

Exactly! Thanks.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 12, 2020

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I should probably try an alien race mod at some point, I've never played as anything but humans, but it'd be fun to play as skaven given I always live in mountains anyway.

Namekians are BEASTMODE and they only require water from the only well you will ever build. Korean anime foxgirl race is p convincing as an alien race if you don't speak Korean. If you enable FemaleBB, it's not gonna be lovers lab level sloot mod

you gotta work for that mrrrrrmmm

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Got my farm built up when my doctor's sister radioed us saying she was captured and needed a rescue. 1 guard and 4 turrets. So I load everyone up in a caravan thinking I'll grab a new pawn and 4 new turrets. As my convoy is almost there I get the warning. One raider with a knife shows up. He slaughters the chickens, burns everything to the ground and steals everything else.

Goddammit. You gave your lives to defend the farm, brave chickens :negative:

Err...welcome home, sis!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is there a way to limit what pets eat (or are fed) now? I got a quest to take care of 7 wounded labs, and despite the fact that there is a pile of kibble next to them, everyone is constantly feeding them fine meals. No! No people food!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1547017052 animal food restrictions, or you can just make a zone that excludes the good food storage area and provide lovely food for them

you monster

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I received a quest where both the title and text were error messages, I thought too hell with it and accepted.
For the next several days I was attacked by one or two mech clusters, they all had shields that protected them from bullets and/or mortar shells and each one brought a map altering super weapon, including one that blocked out the sun.

In the middle of one battle my one prisoner decided to break out, he made a mad dash towards the nearest puppy and gave it an uppercut right too the snoodle, then he vanished into the eternal hell night, I was laughing too hard to get mad at the little bastard.

After several days of this madness a shuttle landed. Why was it here? What did it want?
It will forever be a mystery because by this point the sun was gone, the air was toxic, the trees were dying and most of my colonists were too beat up too do anything.
Oh, and the mechs also used a weather dominator to make it foggy, this wasn't so bad on top of everything else but it honestly seems like a dick move on their part.

This game rules so hard.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Vargs posted:

Anyone know what this quest might want me to do based on the name? I really want that reward and it's only 2 star difficulty but I'm afraid to accept it.

This post might be too late, but here's what my version of the quest says:

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I have two in my current colony, they are bodysize 0.80 cute ratpeople with synthetic livers; they drank too much. :smith:

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

A quest just offered me 157 luciferum and a link monosword worth...32000~ silver? :aaa:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm guessing there is still no way to cure torso scars/wounds other than luciferum/mech serum?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Nope.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Thanks.

Ah well, at least one of them has Tough.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i love the fact that the hardest non-merciless difficulty is named Randy Savage

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just a simple bug hunt.

That cost me over 80 bears.

I forced the free soldiers to clean up the hives over the next day. Once of them went into a murderous rampage and killed one of his team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

But you saved the throne room so there's that