Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

I feel like they should have held off on Tau for longer. They weren't in a bad spot pre-codex, and they desperately need more non-mech models to flesh the faction out.

hah, my usual tau opponent basically shelved them after it proved he couldn't win effortlessly with the index list like he could in 7th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

R0ckfish posted:

It still loving sucks to be told, "hey, if your army was designed to be fun it would be OP so we are going to make it boring as gently caress instead. Oh and every player ever is going to bitch at you for liking them as well, kthxbye". I have been super into the idea of tau cause when I was a kid I loved the look of Tau in dawn of war and spent a long as time staring at the minis on the early 2000s website, and then when 8th was rearing up I finally had enough spare money to get the army I had wanted since I was a kid. Then it just straight ups sucks to be bitched at endlessly and being told that you deserve to have a boring army.

I agree with you. It sucks to not have the army on the table reflect what is written about them. Just play your army cause you like them - ribbing comes with the game. I used to catch poo poo all the time for fielding Space Wolves.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Zark the Damned posted:

New Drew Carey previews up - https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/28/codex-drukhari-preview-haemonculus-covensgw-homepage-post-3/

New Warlord Trait that outright gives you D3 CP is pretty neat.

"Pray They Don't Take You Alive" oh my gosh I am so hyped for murder elves.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

I feel like they should have held off on Tau for longer. They weren't in a bad spot pre-codex, and they desperately need more non-mech models to flesh the faction out.

I can't really fault the designers because they did the best they could with what they had. Mechs didnt need much in the way of buffs, non-tau subfactions are still undermodeled, people dont want to see more IG units so gue'vessa are out, and they did try with stuff like the Ethereal stratagems and Farsight gimmicks.

It kind of makes me wonder if they plan on releasing mini-codexes for subfactions in the future; Fallen, Kroot, Damned, Sisters, etc., that seems like what they're doing with Chaos at least.

Eh, they didn't do a great job with weapon diversity (plasma kind of sucks most of the places you can get it, ion stuff is too good), the markerlight system just seems a bit weird, elite xv8s are in a weird spot cost wise, subsystems really shouldn't be the same price on a stealth suit and a broadside, kroot are in a weird spot etc. The army overall is pretty solid but it's got some weird stuff that drags it down.

Ironically I'm thinking a 8+ broadside army might end up being cheesy goodness.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Tau are cool. They're diplomatic space communists which is inherently cool, but they also have anime mechs and make friends with diverse, non-anthropomorphic aliens. I have not nor will I ever field Tau so I do not know what makes them tick, but I have a decent feel for their fluff and here's the checkmarks I feel they need to nail to make Tau feel like Tau:
  • Alien auxiliaries - Highlight the diplomatic side of Tau with diverse auxiliaries that plug holes in their army.
  • High-tech - Tau tech is highly advanced and reliable. It should hit more often and wound more easily than Imperial tech, even if it doesn't do as much damage.
  • Cooperative - I'll say it, Tau should be the most synergistic army in 40k. Their society revolves around devoted hierarchal structures. Morale should not be an issue for Tau. Having an Ethereal on the table should be just as inspiring to Tau as having one inches away.
  • Safe and defensive - Tau do not overextend, they wait for the enemy to. Tau deeply ingrain themselves into a battlefield or sphere of war and have a nigh-infallible supply chain. I'm not sure how to represent this specifically but Tau should be a forgiving army to play.

I'm sure there's more but that's my layman's understanding.

Bombogenesis posted:

"Pray They Don't Take You Alive" oh my gosh I am so hyped for murder elves.

They're not kidding about the best strat names in the game.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Tau was in this unusual spot of offending people both in story and on the tabletop for having busted shooting in an era of shooting supremacy (including methods to mitigate their only weakness) and being untouchable in their own fluff. Like, tons of their writing came off as having the faction comically heroic and overpowered, contemptibly brushing aside the universe's strongest and oldest warriors. 360-no-look-no-scoping Terminator Captains, out-adapting Tyranids, out-flying a Necron pilot so hard it regained its soul, being ignored by Chaos--these wore on some nerves because it sounded like such Marty Stu propaganda.

And everyone complaining about it all forgot that of course any stories involving the faction were going to be Tau government propaganda.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Every preview they've shown for the Dark Eldar has been so cool I am honestly considering starting a small force of them.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheChirurgeon posted:

Every preview they've shown for the Dark Eldar has been so cool I am honestly considering starting a small force of them.

Somewhere I have a Tantalus, an Archon, and a group of 5 Warriors.

It's time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Got Forgebane in the mail just in time to grab the Warglaives and head off for some travel. I'm looking forward to some Big Stompy Robots, and the best part is that with two Warglaives and eventually a Knight I'll be able to reward myself with robot every 500 points that I paint!

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

R0ckfish posted:

I gotta love how prophetic this meme was:

The tau codex is entirely functional but even the previews were boring as gently caress, it feels like a codex written way earlier in the cycle.

The early necron codex leak on youtube was the raw indesign file with a last edit date of october 2017, and all the rules/points/typos made it to the actual release.

I think a lot of poo poo has been 'done' for a while but they are pacing it on purpose (Which is working so that's fine I guess).

(Typo I'm referring to is that deathmarks/lychguard are marked as elites in the datasheet via the icon, but troops in the points section :v: )

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
As a Codex Marine player, I'm playing the world's smallest violin for Tau players who just aren't AS overpowered as they used to be.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah I'm all geared up for Necrons and now I'm thinking 'but you already have a Dark Eldar army which will take mininal work to update...'

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

R0ckfish posted:

Is that not a failure of the rules designers? In lore they have a highly mobile and often close range or ambush combat style, and the FSE even have training with emphasis on hand to hand combat. Why not design them around high power short range weapons to encourage high risk high reward gameplay, sure you can use their strong long range guns but if there were more encouragement to use mobile in your face tactics rather then gun lines both players would be happier. They already have units like breachers (shotgun troops) and pulse blast cannon stormsurges (a gently caress off big shotgun on a LOW), why not go all in on that style of gameplay?

Like you said, the rules are there with Breachers and the Stormsurge blast cannon for short range high risk/high reward gameplay.

But most Tau players would rather deploy touching the back table edge and just plink from long range.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheChirurgeon posted:

i've always loved the fluff of haemonculi, and these stratagem names would be so great to say during a game

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Floppychop posted:

Like you said, the rules are there with Breachers and the Stormsurge blast cannon for short range high risk/high reward gameplay.

But most Tau players would rather deploy touching the back table edge and just plink from long range.

The problem is that both those units cannot get to the target reliably. Breachers are not strong enough for the cost of a devilfish to get them to a fight and too slow otherwise, and the storm surge has to spend a while to get to sub 10 inches as a 7" move unit.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Looking at my board again.

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=201
Secret Weapon Miniatures sells Columns that are 30mm, which look like they'd fit along the roadway pretty well, and I could put models at the top of them and paint them in the same marble fashion as statues, or perhaps in Bronze.

The same columns could be used as supports for some sort of building, but I am at a loss on how to properly build a roof. I also feel like the giant statue of a Marine hero might be worth putting down on one of the tiles.

Thoughts on some sort of plant near each column base?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

R0ckfish posted:

The problem is that both those units cannot get to the target reliably. Breachers are not strong enough for the cost of a devilfish to get them to a fight and too slow otherwise, and the storm surge has to spend a while to get to sub 10 inches as a 7" move unit.

Yep. The problem with the the more aggressive Tau options is that they just don't always do their job right. IIRC Breachers are often just worse than a strike team with a Cadre Fireblade, even at close range. I'm workposting so I don't have my books but IIRC rifle fire warriors get 3 S5 shots at 15" with a fireblade vs 2 s4 shots from Breachers, and at 10" I think fire warriors still come out ahead. A unit that's only better at 5" isn't super attractive.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

NovemberMike posted:

Ironically I'm thinking a 8+ broadside army might end up being cheesy goodness.

Tell me more about this theory!

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

New GW strikes again, when will their reign of fiscal terror end.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

NovemberMike posted:

Yep. The problem with the the more aggressive Tau options is that they just don't always do their job right. IIRC Breachers are often just worse than a strike team with a Cadre Fireblade, even at close range. I'm workposting so I don't have my books but IIRC rifle fire warriors get 3 S5 shots at 15" with a fireblade vs 2 s4 shots from Breachers, and at 10" I think fire warriors still come out ahead. A unit that's only better at 5" isn't super attractive.

They have 2 s6 ap-2 at sub 5 inches, which is pretty cool but when you have to sacrifice 2-3 turns before you get that and often they can only get a single round of such shooting it kinda does not do enough.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

R0ckfish posted:

They have 2 s6 ap-2 at sub 5 inches, which is pretty cool but when you have to sacrifice 2-3 turns before you get that and often they can only get a single round of such shooting it kinda does not do enough.

Plus they're, what, T3 5+? That's a statline you don't want sub 5 inches of ANYTHING.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Beerdeer posted:

As a Codex Marine player, I'm playing the world's smallest violin for Tau players who just aren't AS overpowered as they used to be.

With you on this. My CSM and Dark Eldar know your pain.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Plus they're, what, T3 5+? That's a statline you don't want sub 5 inches of ANYTHING.

t3 4+, but yeah that is why they get one round of shooting.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

R0ckfish posted:

t3 4+, but yeah that is why they get one round of shooting.

Ok, so let me get this straight. They are a troop choice that if you get them into 5 inch rapidfire, can do 2 S6 ap-2 shots each.

Just dump 10 on a devilfish, run it up the field into the enemies lines. If it's charged, weather the hits and jump the breachers out in your turn, fly the devilfish away out of combat and blast the suckers. 20 S6 - 2ap should be enough to anything.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Tau was in this unusual spot of offending people both in story and on the tabletop for having busted shooting in an era of shooting supremacy (including methods to mitigate their only weakness) and being untouchable in their own fluff. Like, tons of their writing came off as having the faction comically heroic and overpowered, contemptibly brushing aside the universe's strongest and oldest warriors. 360-no-look-no-scoping Terminator Captains, out-adapting Tyranids, out-flying a Necron pilot so hard it regained its soul, being ignored by Chaos--these wore on some nerves because it sounded like such Marty Stu propaganda.

And everyone complaining about it all forgot that of course any stories involving the faction were going to be Tau government propaganda.

To be fair, this is true for a lot of factions' codex fluff; few books are going to tell the person who just bought said book "yeah we suck, we're like really lame. One time I stubbed my hoof and it got infected. I have severe summer allergies."

There's also a good number of "haw haw, they tried diplomacy and got devastated!" stories since their inception, so it's pretty give-and-take.

But yeah, game-wise old GW was super notorious for brute forcing overpowered stats onto Tau models they wanted to sell. They certainly weren't trying for mech design variety, that's for sure.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 28, 2018

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Also Darkstrider who was a great Breacher buff is now Tau Sept only. Which sucks

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

dexefiend posted:

Tell me more about this theory!

Well, the basic idea is that units of 3 Broadsides with SMS, HYMP and ATS are just generically good. That's 24 Heavy Bolter shots ignoring LOS and 24 S7 AP-2 D3 shots, that can reroll hits of 1 with markerlights, reroll hits of 1 with an ethereal, reroll wounds with C&C Node and reroll hits with Mont'ka. They're also relatively tough, and you can do a lot of bubble wrapping with 200 points of shield drones (4+ invuln, 5+ fnp is even pretty tanky in melee for 10 points). Taking two units of 3 missile hell Broadsides and a single unit of HRR broadsides and then as much bubble wrap as possible and you have an army that can use CP to burst out an absurd amount of damage and has the volume and quality of fire to take on anything.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Zuul the Cat posted:

This looks great! Love the fluid jars. Yeah, scrape off some texture and use plastic glue. There’s one connection point on the bottom that’s a little double piece. I use that and the cane.

Slapped together the Armigers tonight and got one painted. Waiting for the texture to dry to finish the base, and still gotta apply transfers.

Don’t ever talk to me or my son again.

Dredging this up from a dozen pages ago, but I gave this a shot the other day (scraping/plastic glue) and it seems to be holding strong. Thanks!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Duct Tape posted:

Dredging this up from a dozen pages ago, but I gave this a shot the other day (scraping/plastic glue) and it seems to be holding strong. Thanks!

If you've got pure solvent glue you don't even need to scrape, it will bond everything including the paint into one solid mass.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Ok, so let me get this straight. They are a troop choice that if you get them into 5 inch rapidfire, can do 2 S6 ap-2 shots each.

Just dump 10 on a devilfish, run it up the field into the enemies lines. If it's charged, weather the hits and jump the breachers out in your turn, fly the devilfish away out of combat and blast the suckers. 20 S6 - 2ap should be enough to anything.

it is a three bracket weapon: <5: S6 ap-2, <10: s5 ap -1, <15: s4 ap0

~190 points to kill ~4 marines on turn two is ok, but in my experience they then die or cannot get in range to fight anything after.

If you spend that many points on fire warriors, you instead get 27 firewarriors killing ~3 marines at 30", or ~6 at 15".

R0ckfish fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 28, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
New dark elder teaser is neat. How relevant are the leadership modifiers in actual practice?

I vaguely recall when I played more than a decade ago that it mattered very little. But i basically only played against space marines?

I’m comparing it to my warhammer fantasy experience where Ld mattered a ton.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

R0ckfish posted:

it is a three bracket weapon: <5: S6 ap-2, <10: s5 ap -1, <15: s4 ap0

~190 points to kill ~4 marines on turn two is ok, but in my experience they then die or cannot get in range to fight anything after.

If you spend that many points on fire warriors, you instead get 27 firewarriors killing ~3 marines at 30", or ~6 at 15".

They also never get the fireblade bonus, which can take those firewarriors up to ~9 marines at 15".

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

New dark elder teaser is neat. How relevant are the leadership modifiers in actual practice?

I vaguely recall when I played more than a decade ago that it mattered very little. But i basically only played against space marines?

I’m comparing it to my warhammer fantasy experience where Ld mattered a ton.

In theory you can do some really great stuff with Leadership debuffs but in practice it's often quite fiddly to achieve, and there's enough stuff out there which ignores Morale or only loses one guy or whatever that building your whole army around it (for a TAC list) is probably non-optimal compared to just being better at killing stuff. That said, it's way better than previous editions because you don't have ATSKNF and Fearless loving everywhere making Morale meaningless.

It's a useful bonus to have, but maybe not the best available.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Was looking with increasing enthusiasm at the victory is vengeance stuff. Any word on when new Kill Team is out or will I succumb to resin cancer and the historicals version of warhammer 40k?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

R0ckfish posted:

It still loving sucks to be told, "hey, if your army was designed to be fun it would be OP so we are going to make it boring as gently caress instead. Oh and every player ever is going to bitch at you for liking them as well, kthxbye". I have been super into the idea of tau cause when I was a kid I loved the look of Tau in dawn of war and spent a long as time staring at the minis on the early 2000s website, and then when 8th was rearing up I finally had enough spare money to get the army I had wanted since I was a kid. Then it just straight ups sucks to be bitched at endlessly and being told that you deserve to have a boring army.

You're the ham version of a New England Patriots fan.

"Why does everyone always complain about how good we are? Why do they hate our boring and bland coach who bends the rules all the time? Why do they give me poo poo because our weird QB makes out with his son?"

Get over it and plasma or melta them all to death if they give you poo poo. Teach them to fear your stupid anime robots.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The Sex Cannon posted:

"Why does everyone always complain about how good we are? Why do they hate our boring and bland coach who bends the rules all the time? Why do they give me poo poo because our weird QB makes out with his son?"

Get over it and plasma or melta them all to death if they give you poo poo. Teach them to fear your stupid anime robots.

Uh I think you'll find that plasma and melta are inferior gue'la technology and the noble T'a'u' utilise superior forms such as the power of fusion and ion beams mounted upon their Stormripsurf Sha'kira ZX81 battlesuits

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Sex Cannon posted:

Ethereal Bel'ich'ick is an upstanding exemplar of the T'au Empire!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

:patssay:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
So can anyone with Necron codex actually confirm if Deathmarks and Lychguard are troops or elites?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

So can anyone with Necron codex actually confirm if Deathmarks and Lychguard are troops or elites?

Lychguard are almost certainly elites. Not sure about Deathmarks. Also, the codex comes out this weekend.