Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DevCore posted:

I use this, keeps the car real clean looking.

Any potential issues with someone knocking it when I'm paralleled?

I don't think the sport trim has the Japanese holes :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
What I like most about my 04 WRX

1 It has a bunch of large dents and I don't care if it gets another.
2 I drive it like I don't care if it gets another dent
3 It's got the loud obnoxious Subaru rumble
4 285 to the wheels is neck snapping fun.
5 There isn't a single thing on the car that I can't fix on my own.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Just had the CEL come on in the 2 week old to me Outback. Pulled the code and thankfully it's just an evap system leak, so no engine grenading concerns, but it's gonna be a pain to find where it's leaking.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

DiggityDoink posted:

Just had the CEL come on in the 2 week old to me Outback. Pulled the code and thankfully it's just an evap system leak, so no engine grenading concerns, but it's gonna be a pain to find where it's leaking.

Check your gas cap?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

EightBit posted:

Check your gas cap?

Good thought, I haven't put gas in it in about a week though, so unless it loosened itself, I'm gonna guess that's not it. Still gonna check it out.

e; yea cap was nice and tight, just got clicks when i went to turn it more. all the o-rings looked clean and good too

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 20, 2018

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cross post:

Washed the Champagne Brick and cleaned under the hood in anticipation of going to the first C&C event of the year tomorrow. As a matter of course I cleaned the air filter as well. Thinking of putting a for sale sign on it since I do have to sell something in the near future.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Is it worth buying a crazy cheap rusty 02 WRX Wagon to swap it all into my 99 Forester? I already have a Tactrix cable (thanks Blaise), wideband, spare 02 Federal ECU, and some not-installed Prodrive springs. I assume I can just hack a GC scoop onto my already ugly hood?

Its already awesome because I put in the altimeter/compass/temperature thing.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 21, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

Is it worth buying a crazy cheap rusty 02 WRX Wagon to swap it all into my 99 Forester? I already have a Tactrix cable (thanks Blaise), wideband, spare 02 Federal ECU, and some not-installed Prodrive springs. I assume I can just hack a GC scoop onto my already ugly hood?

There are probably a bunch of Forester S/TB hoods kicking around Canada at this point. I see them all the time.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

I didn't notice it on the test drive because I had the windows up, but it makes a whine from the front end from about 10-0 that sounds like its coming from the transaxle/transfer case (I'm not sure how Subaru runs their poo poo). It doesn't sound hostile just a whine. Is that a normal thing on an AWD car? I've never had one before.

So to quote my earlier post, I figured out what the sound reminds me of. It sounds like a far less harsh version of straight cut gears, basically how they sound on deceleration though not as high pitched. And it's more from 25-0.

I called my uncle who owns a shop today and am working on bringing it over to his place to check everything out. Timing belt, head gaskets, this noise and the burning smell occasionally when I come to a stop, which is either lovely brake pads or I'm guessing the head gasket is failing and I'm burning oil.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 21, 2018

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

DiggityDoink posted:

The fuel filler neck likes to rot out from wet debris accumulating behind the plastic cover in the wheel well. It's a pretty common cause for evap codes.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

DJ Commie posted:

Is it worth buying a crazy cheap rusty 02 WRX Wagon to swap it all into my 99 Forester?

Yes. Might even have the correct interior mounts to do a interior swap

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Wait for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_WLwulqIMc

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

lmao

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: Wrong thread.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Do not go a year without changing the oil when using conventional oil

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Yes.... I googled...

I need to find the length of the 2010 onn(gen 5) liberty front Driveshaft’s. does anyone have them?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Same as the Outbacks:
Spline Count 27
Overall Length 31.812"

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Kaptainballistik posted:

Yes.... I googled...

I need to find the length of the 2010 onn(gen 5) liberty front Driveshaft’s. does anyone have them?

It seems to measure between the boot clamps? Seems kind of weird but I guess that does eliminate the movement in the cvs and is easy to measure without taking anything apart.

Same page from the 05-09 FSM gives "turbo 5mt, 6mt" as 332.5 and "all others" 349.6

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 24, 2018

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
Science thanks you.

I’m not sure the laws of nature agrees... stay tuned 😋

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

daslog posted:

Do not go a year without changing the oil when using conventional oil

How many miles?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I had to replace the exhaust cam in the 2005 WRX Im working on and my FSM only goes up to 04. Can someone please look up the valve lash spec on the exhaust for me? Its just the stock 2.0. I keep finding both .25mm and .35mm on nasoic when searching so I dont trust what Ive been finding. Im measuring it right now and they are all between .35 and .38mm with the heads torqued down and the car was running but making wicked ticking noises from this side where I changed the cam. I havent taken the buckets out yet to measure them. Tia for any help.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The specs in the 04 fsm should be the same.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

jamal posted:

The specs in the 04 fsm should be the same.

Thanks, looks like thats the case. Everything is in spec. Gotta keep looking.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
What's an affordable hitch for a '18 Forester 2.5i? And how hard is it to DIY install a hitch without a lift?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I got mine from etrailer.com and was able to install it in my driveway without even using a jack.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

shy boy from chess club posted:

Thanks, looks like thats the case. Everything is in spec. Gotta keep looking.

It was the new intake valve I forgot I changed. Huge gap, oops. Only gotta get one bucket now though, score.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I'm thinking about buying an old impreza wagon to use as a rally car myself. Good idea / bad idea?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm thinking about buying an old impreza wagon to use as a rally car myself. Good idea / bad idea?

Good idea.

VERY good idea even. Plus there's loads of advice to be gained here by askign the rally crews that are here

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You should never not get an old Impreza wagon.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Sometimes better to buy an already made rally car if you're just starting and that's what you want to do. And many series' make you start with n/a, fwd, or both. So you buy like an already prepped jetta/focus/civic and then if you like it and can afford it, think about building your own car. Otherwise you spend a long time and a lot of money building a car when you could be out rallying already.

That would be for actual stage rally though. If you want to just go rally-x occasionally and maybe do navigational or tsds, then yeah buy yourself an old impreza, freshen up the suspension, and go have fun.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 26, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jamal posted:

Sometimes better to buy an already made rally car if you're just starting and that's what you want to do. And many series' make you start with n/a, fwd, or both. So you buy like an already prepped jetta/focus/civic and then if you like it and can afford it, think about building your own car. Otherwise you spend a long time and a lot of money building a car when you could be out rallying already.

That would be for actual stage rally though. If you want to just go rally-x occasionally and maybe do navigational or tsds, then yeah buy yourself an old impreza, freshen up the suspension, and go have fun.

Yeah I kinda wanna just dip my toes in. There's a local course that's not really a proper stage but does rally events and it sounds like I could enter that with basically anything. Then if I do that for awhile and it goes okay maybe i'll think about getting a proper racecar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I kinda wanna just dip my toes in. There's a local course that's not really a proper stage but does rally events and it sounds like I could enter that with basically anything.

Then a lovely wagon is perfect.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Having rebuilt a couple of Subarus, I agree with Jamal. Each took me over a year to do. I would buy a ready to go Rally car, figure out what you like, then build your own

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
There's rally in this country?

(kind of joking, but not really)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I kinda wanna just dip my toes in. There's a local course that's not really a proper stage but does rally events and it sounds like I could enter that with basically anything. Then if I do that for awhile and it goes okay maybe i'll think about getting a proper racecar.

Other thing you can do is go sign up for team oneil, dirtfish, etc rally school. Then you get a weekend of learning about rally and driving their cars.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Supposedly found THE Baby Driver car from the intro scene:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/mySavedListings.action#listing=204363703

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Any potential issues with someone knocking it when I'm paralleled?

Haven't knocked it yet, but it's on a pivot so I'm assuming it'll give a bit if it hits anything.
I guess you could do some damage if you nailed a concrete wall dead on, but you'd probably have a lot more to worry about at that point.

DevCore fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 26, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mekilljoydammit posted:

There's rally in this country?

(kind of joking, but not really)

It feels like there isn't, for years I thought it was just like a European / South American thing, but nah there's stuff all across the US. Its just only really popular with the people who participate, so you never hear about it unless you go looking.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

Zaphod42 posted:

It feels like there isn't, for years I thought it was just like a European / South American thing, but nah there's stuff all across the US. Its just only really popular with the people who participate, so you never hear about it unless you go looking.

Yeah, looked into it heavily... found that there's one event a year unless I want to take off a lot of work to trailer, basically.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mekilljoydammit posted:

Yeah, looked into it heavily... found that there's one event a year unless I want to take off a lot of work to trailer, basically.

America is too drat big and spread out :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yea rally is tough like that. There is one event close to me that we go to every year, but the rest are a trek. We did it once and went to the 100 acre wood rally in Missouri. It was cold as balls and then a blizzard hit on day 2 and they canceled it half way through. But it was cool to see all the cars, got some good pics, met Higgins and Drew. That reminds me I need to finish editing the pics from this year.