Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nobody Interesting posted:

Ever since I killed the Mr Gutsy in Nipton, ED-E has been making extremely loud metal collision sounds pretty much every time he does anything in an interior location :negative:

Must be the ghost of that poor bot haunting me.

Cannot for the life of me figure out what's causing it or why.

Robot Collision Sounds Removed.

Alternatively I think there is a setting in iStewie's tweaks that does the same thing.

On that topic is there a setting in iStewie's tweaks that prevents you from earning more health as you level up? I'm getting way too tanky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Not positive, but how about a choice between HP, AP, or Carry Weight? https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69323

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bogart posted:

Not positive, but how about a choice between HP, AP, or Carry Weight? https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69323

I looked through and didn't see anything with my search through the iStewie ini. I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.

I've also found this mod: Vicious Wastes which seems like the closest thing I'll get to the Project Nevada Rebalance module until some wonderful soul releases a remake of that feature.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Nobody Interesting posted:

Ever since I killed the Mr Gutsy in Nipton, ED-E has been making extremely loud metal collision sounds pretty much every time he does anything in an interior location :negative:

Must be the ghost of that poor bot haunting me.

Cannot for the life of me figure out what's causing it or why.

are you using the Ragdolls mod? That was happening to me with that mod on, but there's one specific file you can hide to prevent the constant car crash.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutMods/comments/kpnqmi/fnv_lonesome_roads_ede_keeps_making_an_awful/gi3onzg/

person on reddit posted:

edit: it was the Ragdolls mod. I don't know why disabling it in MO didn't remove the mod from loading (maybe because I didn't re-sort the load order?) but hiding the Meshes\nvdlc04 folder in the Ragdolls filetree stopped the issue entirely! MO doesn't mention there being conflicts with any other mods there so I'm not sure entirely what happened, but thankfully I can now explore Lonesome Road without needing earplugs.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Halser posted:

are you using the Ragdolls mod? That was happening to me with that mod on, but there's one specific file you can hide to prevent the constant car crash.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FalloutMods/comments/kpnqmi/fnv_lonesome_roads_ede_keeps_making_an_awful/gi3onzg/

Looks like that's it. For good measure I've hidden the creatures/eyebot folder too.

Modding Bethesda games :discourse:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sorry but I completely disagree.

Big L Guy is right, the weakness of FO2 is in my opinion the somewhat wacky random encounters. they seem out of place. fallout 1, to my recollection at least, seemed to take itself seriously for most of the game, and fallout 2 has lots of humor and stuff. even the main story tends to be much more humorous, like the drill sergeant or the village idiot in klamath who talks like an english gentleman if you also have low int. but the overall story of each game pwns and is good writing.

the real weak, flat enclave is the one in fo3, which somehow hits many of the same notes of the fo2 enclave with none of the subtext and even less gameplay involvement

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

One of the things that really helps 2's story is that even though they have a main plot to follow, there is this other major overarching conflict (the NCR/VC/NR power struggle) that drives the plot in a lot of the places you go which doesn't revolve around that. I think it makes the world feel a lot more real when all of the big movers and shakers don't have the same concerns that you do.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have you ever launched Mod Organizer only to find that your plug-in order has been completely scrambled?

Is it sorting by something other than the load order?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Have you ever launched Mod Organizer only to find that your plug-in order has been completely scrambled?

Chronojam posted:

Is it sorting by something other than the load order?

I've had MO2 change my load order a few times - resorting them so its alphabetical. Usually don't notice until I'm in game and notice something wonky.

Fortunately, I'm pretty good about making load order backups when I fiddle with things. May or may not be related to how often I end up having to quit the game by killing it from the task manager.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I just found the absolute best mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWniCvps4sA

The little tailfins open up after it launches, too!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Wow I kind of hate myself for not putting in a Sprint Mod in earlier

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

weird that in 11 years no one thought about doing that, amazing

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Wow I kind of hate myself for not putting in a Sprint Mod in earlier

It kinda invalidates the Travel Light perk, but god it improves the game so much.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2htNjsDf6h4

When the storm has passed and the fallout has settled we will still have the memes from The Frontier.

Also wow I didn't realize that McVicker was the Valve News Network guy rebranded. I always thought he was a bit of an obsessive conspiracy theorist for valve titles but I guess he now runs horribly handled interviews where he takes unmoderated community questions to ask s mod dev who just got out of bed.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Hobo on Fire posted:

I've had MO2 change my load order a few times - resorting them so its alphabetical. Usually don't notice until I'm in game and notice something wonky..

That's what made me ask, it's possible to click around and accidentally alphabetize things. It's also possible to change the display order without messing up the actually load order too, iirc.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2htNjsDf6h4

When the storm has passed and the fallout has settled we will still have the memes from The Frontier.

That video sucks, though. There are no winners between the 4chan people and the Frontier mod team.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah it's kinda poo poo.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Chronojam posted:

That's what made me ask, it's possible to click around and accidentally alphabetize things. It's also possible to change the display order without messing up the actually load order too, iirc.

Itll happen if you click Mod Name or Name panels at the top of the lists.

Or the Sort button. Don't ever click these or youre in for a bad time.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah it's kinda poo poo.

I don't know what Sneedclave is but "Sneed's Seed and Feed" is top tier Simpsons gag. Right up there with the bike and street sweeper scene in Bart Sells His Soul.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sneed's Feed and Seed was good but it's a bit overdone by the fandom.

The real tech these days is to say Chuck's Feed and Seed and wait a beat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Besides the real gold for Vegas memes is Malcolm Holmes. He almost took my for a raider, he did.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I have MO2 set to do its magical invalidation thingy thing and I have bloadfacegenegtfiles set to 1, but mismatched skin/face colours have started creeping in again. I've got Fallout Character Overhaul and I guess that fucks with faces a little bit, but having these two boxes ticked has always solved the problem for me before. Anything else I should be trying?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are your ini files set to read only? That can interfere with MO2 changing the bLoadfacegenheadegtfiles= line.

Is there a mod that allows the inon zur ambient music to play at the same time as you're listening to a radio frequency? I want to listen to the Hoover Dam battle music at the same time as I have the NCR Emergency Radio channel on during the final battle.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
But also, don't use Fallout Character Overhaul, none of those face-changing mods are any good, tbh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Defiance Industries posted:

One of the things that really helps 2's story is that even though they have a main plot to follow, there is this other major overarching conflict (the NCR/VC/NR power struggle) that drives the plot in a lot of the places you go which doesn't revolve around that. I think it makes the world feel a lot more real when all of the big movers and shakers don't have the same concerns that you do.

In the first two fallouts, the true threat is something the average wastelander doesn't even suspect the existence of, and it's kind of a mystery you gradually uncover until you realize the terrifying scope of the danger it poses.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

FCO has issue with broken file paths and whatnot.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

But also, don't use Fallout Character Overhaul, none of those face-changing mods are any good, tbh.
I like New Vegas Redesigned 2 for just improving the quality of NPC faces.

(NVR3 is where Dracomies went crazy with "the female corpse needs to be naked and have maggot infested wounds because of ~lore~").

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Even if you don't like the changes made to NPC designs by the face changing mods I genuinely don't know how anyone can stand to play an 80 hour game looking at the default gamebryo faces in this day and age. They looked like potato people with vaguely angry eyebrows when the game came out, and it's only gotten worse since.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

I've never quite understood why, of all the things, people blame gamebryo for the faces looking that way

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Magmarashi posted:

I've never quite understood why, of all the things, people blame gamebryo for the faces looking that way
Because people have no clue how videogame technology works. Or even what it is. And meme culture being what it is, people mostly just parrot the same old tired bullshit.

Facegen is the middleware that Bethesda's codebase uses for faces and it's perfectly capable of making alright faces. Bethesda for whatever reason decided to go with a silly artdirection for Oblivion. And for FO3 they didn't put in enough time & resources (and OEI likely didn't have the time either) to make Fallout's more realistic art style look good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

I don't know what else to call them. Bethesda faces?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Not finding it as offensive as NVR, at least. And The King looks pretty rad.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Lurdiak posted:

Even if you don't like the changes made to NPC designs by the face changing mods I genuinely don't know how anyone can stand to play an 80 hour game looking at the default gamebryo faces in this day and age. They looked like potato people with vaguely angry eyebrows when the game came out, and it's only gotten worse since.

I always use OCO v2 with Oblivion, but every other Bethesda game I think the faces look mostly fine. At least, not egregiously bad compared to everything else that the engine is trying to hold together. Plus, even in Oblivion it's not like I see an NPCs face and go "oh my god I can't even play this" and turn the game off. It's goofy but it's not game ruining.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

It's me, im the guy that uses vanilla faces and graphics.

But when I do feel like using a face mod I like New Vegas Character Expansions Revised. It's subtle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You could always use Dragbody's NPCs with their dead glassy eyes because they eyes are actually a piece of headwear and therefore have no animation.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Raygereio posted:

Because people have no clue how videogame technology works. Or even what it is. And meme culture being what it is, people mostly just parrot the same old tired bullshit.

Facegen is the middleware that Bethesda's codebase uses for faces and it's perfectly capable of making alright faces. Bethesda for whatever reason decided to go with a silly artdirection for Oblivion. And for FO3 they didn't put in enough time & resources (and OEI likely didn't have the time either) to make Fallout's more realistic art style look good.
Yes, it's FaceGen, and while it can make good looking faces, the interfaces you have available to do that in Bethesda's engine makes it quite difficult, especially when combined with how they handle face textures/tinting.

It's like handing someone a big lump of clay and a thin stick and saying, "You should be able to create busts that match the quality of 18th century Venetian masters."

This is in some regards true but it certainly is not making it easy. Ultimately in every system the head is going to be reduced to weighted meshes driven by bones, textures, and the renderer, but the tools available to developers/endusers place practical constraints on how much time is required to make something that looks good and consistent from head to head. If you do not have the constraint of time, many things are possible.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know what else to call them. Bethesda faces?

The most common name is the Potato Men. They originally hailed from the realm of the Oblivion title and found refuge in FO3 and later NV. They have not been seen since with Skyrim and beyond.

Why did Obsidian's point of reference for what human beings looked like seem identical to Beth's in the same period? No one knows. Maybe they did it to avoid embarrassing Bethesda.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

rope kid posted:

Yes, it's FaceGen, and while it can make good looking faces, the interfaces you have available to do that in Bethesda's engine makes it quite difficult, especially when combined with how they handle face textures/tinting.

Yeah, my post there was basically "the tools aren't the problem". But here a tool is part of the problem. I had forgotten how crappy the interface for creating faces in the Bethesda's toolset is.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

BillBear posted:

The most common name is the Potato Men. They originally hailed from the realm of the Oblivion title and found refuge in FO3 and later NV. They have not been seen since with Skyrim and beyond.

Why did Obsidian's point of reference for what human beings looked like seem identical to Beth's in the same period? No one knows. Maybe they did it to avoid embarrassing Bethesda.

Easier and cheaper to just reuse the tools you're given, even if they're poo poo, than it is to design something original on your own.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

BillBear posted:

They were probably contractually obligated to keep most things similar to FO3, but I imagine it more has to do with the extremely limited development time of 18 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO