Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

"The earliest are dated to around 600AD, the time when international maritime trade became increasingly large and well established across Asia, Africa, and Europe."

Is this true and if so what am I missing I thought at least in the western Mediterranean trade would have plummeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
As far as I know it got a lot more local and different goods (more basic needs, less luxurious) became the main trading goods, but people didn't forget how to sail ships or make money. Instead of big trading fleets and ships you got more small, private enterprises (and pirates), but all the kingdoms in the former Roman territories still did trade and make money. Long distance trading, especially to the East got more difficult, dangerous and rarer and goods had to change hands far more often to reach their former destinations, which made them far more expensive.

(Most of this comes from what I still remember of Europe After Rome by Julia M. H. Smith, very interesting and insightful, but rather dry).

Decius fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 19, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

At that time the definition of what a trader vs pirate was probably overlapped almost completely.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You need to trade the poo poo you loot in order to have any success as a pirate.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Decius posted:

As far as I know it got a lot more local and different goods (more basic needs, less luxurious) became the main trading goods, but people didn't forget how to sail ships or make money. Instead of big trading fleets and ships you got more small, private enterprises (and pirates), but all the kingdoms in the former Roman territories still did trade and make money. Long distance trading, especially to the East got more difficult, dangerous and rarer and goods had to change hands far more often to reach their former destinations, which made them far more expensive.

(Most of this comes from what I still remember of Europe After Rome by Julia M. H. Smith, very interesting and insightful, but rather dry).
according to a friend of mine they still used papyrus to write in France until about the 700s. Someone's getting that from somewhere until that time, when they can't any more

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

HEY GUNS posted:

according to a friend of mine they still used papyrus to write in France until about the 700s. Someone's getting that from somewhere until that time, when they can't any more

I don't remember exactly, but if this is southern and not northern france most of the southern coast was controlled by muslims in early 700's. So it would make sense they would be using / trading papyri.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jack2142 posted:

I don't remember exactly, but if this is southern and not northern france most of the southern coast was controlled by muslims in early 700's. So it would make sense they would be using / trading papyri.
it was the merovingians

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

"The earliest are dated to around 600AD, the time when international maritime trade became increasingly large and well established across Asia, Africa, and Europe."

Is this true and if so what am I missing I thought at least in the western Mediterranean trade would have plummeted.

Remember the six-hundreds was when the Caliphate got off the ground. This is the period of Sinbad the Sailor. I'm not sure how that effects global total trade volume but I doubt it hurt Indian ocean trade. Even if trade volume into Europe falls off, I expect Europe was only ever the final destination of a small proportion of the total volume of spice produced in southern Asia and Indonesia in this period. I expect if you are a Sri Lankan clove merchant you are much more concerned about events in Medea and Egypt and the Ganges basin than the western Mediterranean.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

You need to trade the poo poo you loot in order to have any success as a pirate.

Buying or selling stolen goods in a collapsed empire isnt exactly a tall barrier to climb.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Buying or selling stolen goods in a collapsed empire isnt exactly a tall barrier to climb.

I love posts like this, where someone ignores all context to stroke their ego and explain simple concepts to someone else

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Senor Dog posted:

I love posts like this, where someone ignores all context to stroke their ego and explain simple concepts to someone else

Unlike his.

Wait how the heck is my sayin collapsed empire ignoring context?

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 19, 2019

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Muslim control of southern France (Septimania) lasted like 10 years, from 721 to 731. I don't think you can attribute long standing literary practices to that.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

A papyrus fact I find really curious is that by the 19th century, the papyrus plant was effectively extinct in Egypt, with botanists only able to find one or two isolated stands. What happened that made it disappear? I'm pretty sure it continued to be used in the Eastern Mediterranean alongside parchment until paper making spread to the Middle East in the high Middle Ages, but I can't find anything on what may have happened to cause the species's decline.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
everything went downhill after they turned their backs on horus

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So far as I know, states may rise and fall and various peoples will spread and immigrate, but the same ol' populations living by the sea trading on boats will still be there after whatever governing body gets replaced. Hell, they could even hop on a boat to lay low while the fighting's going on and come back after the flags have been swapped out.

Were there any significant cases of medieval leaders cracking down specifically on merchants?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mongols

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Were there any significant cases of medieval leaders cracking down specifically on merchants?

You mean aside from the various merchant republics fighting with each other? (Genoa vs Venice, etc)

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SlothfulCobra posted:

So far as I know, states may rise and fall and various peoples will spread and immigrate, but the same ol' populations living by the sea trading on boats will still be there after whatever governing body gets replaced. Hell, they could even hop on a boat to lay low while the fighting's going on and come back after the flags have been swapped out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Latins

Family Values posted:

Muslim control of southern France (Septimania) lasted like 10 years, from 721 to 731. I don't think you can attribute long standing literary practices to that.

This is very true, my statement was made because I am not sure of how widespread or when exactly the documents were found. My initial thought from the statement was they found a few papyri items in the 700's, instead of widespread use in Merovingian Francia. In pure conjecture it could be that Muslims were perfectly welcome in trading with the Franks prior to the 700's as there weren't really any reason for the Franks to be necessarily opposed to trading with them, and papyri was a trade good. However with the Conquest of Hispania and the muslims pushing into France this could have lead to the breaking of the trade network that kept Papyri supplied to Merovingian Francia. As a result the Franks turned to other alternative goods and there was no need to trade for papyri finding domestic parchment or whatever they happened to be using sufficient for their writing needs. So traders operating in Egypt just stopped trading for it eventually as there was no market.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 20, 2019

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Confucianism hates merchants (for “profiting off the efforts of others and contributing nothing by themselves”) so you have various degrees of cracking down on them in East Asia as ideology vs political reality dictated. Most notably when Ming China implemented the sea ban, in an apparent effort to combat piracy, preventing literally all private shipping and so forcing all those merchants to turn to piracy to survive. At various points there were other crackdowns too (some less ill thought out), and through its first half especially (until reality after its devastation in wars started to necessitate internal trade) Joseon Korea had them in an particularly low position. After about 1000, most sanctioned international trade between China and its neighbors would be via state tribute missions though, so they were generally a smaller class to begin with, although there was always still smugglers and stuff, often in significant numbers.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 20, 2019

Nuclear Pizza
Feb 25, 2006

Family Values posted:

In 889 a group of Arab freebooters from Andalusia set up a fortified base in Fraxinet, in Provence. They raided the surrounding area and then followed the Rhone valley into the border areas between France and Piedmont, setting up fortified bandit lairs along the way. Their raids reached as far as Switzerland.

The Fraxinet muslims ruled this area for close to a century, raiding the surrounding states, launching piratical attacks on Byzantine shipping and levying tolls on travelers using the Alpine passes, until they were defeated and conquered in 975 by the count of Provence. They were however allowed to live and remain in the area as the count's subjects, and continue their trading and manufacturing activities.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
You know what I'd like to know that we're never going to know? I'd like to know just what happened to Romulus Augustulus. We know that after he was deposed, Odoacer gave him a pension and he went to live in Naples, probably in the Castel dell'Ovo, but after that, he pretty much disappears from history.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It’d be neat to know what he would have thought about his legacy as “THE LAST ROMAN (not really)”

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i mean if we're raising these people from the dead let's have a beer with cleopatra

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

She's probably fun to get drunk with.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hailthefish posted:

She's probably fun to get drunk with.

gotta keep all of the snakes locked up tight tho

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jazerus posted:

gotta keep all of the snakes locked up tight tho
my anaconda don't

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HEY GUNS posted:

my anaconda don't

tappin dat asp

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like how this thread veers from thoughtful, enlightening discussions to dicks and mad rutting.

The Romans would be proud :agesilaus:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

🐍🐍🐍:sonia::agesilaus:🐍🐍🐍

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

🐍🐍🐍:sonia::agesilaus:🐍🐍🐍

lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

I want to mention again that Roman paganism was not one static unchanging thing that lasted until Christianity immediately replaced it. It was dynamic and ever changing and subject to all sorts of fads and politics and stuck around for a very long time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Shouldn’t the chick be a young dude?

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Something something empire of the Greeks.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Something something empire of the Greeks.
chicks that look like dudes that look like chicks
and vice versa

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

More like empire of the geeks!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1088137820106035201

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GUNS posted:

chicks that look like dudes that look like chicks
and vice versa

elagabaldobolina

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FAUXTON posted:

elagabaldobolina

Bowseleagabalus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Watched this cool little video about garum and its different types, I had no idea there was a kosher one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLDlUGXJMFY

Not sure how the channel is as a whole, I watched a few of the military logistics ones and they seemed pretty in line with what I know.