Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Counter-counterpoint - plenty of people outright disable or ignore these safety features anyways (disabling airbags, not wearing seat belts, distracted/drunk driving), it's not the car's fault people are stupid. To be clear, I'm fine with belts, airbags, ABS, On-Star & all that, but it gets ridiculous that manufacturers have to stupid-proof cars for people who shouldn't have a goddamn license, let alone a vehicle. We shouldn't need lane departure warnings, automatic stop systems, or poo poo to tell people to keep their eyes on the road - if they're that clueless, either take away their license permanently or let them off themselves being stupid, it's no loss to the rest of us.

License requirements in the US is a dead and buried argument, there's no point to bringing it up as a solution because nothing can nor will be done.

Adding idiot failsafes is cool and good because it reduces the chance that someone texting will obliterate me or someone I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
no you see. everyone involved deserved it

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
we all deserve death friend

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Im for this but how can we make it more excruciating before they die?

Have the 15 dashboard screens all show pictures of Donald Trump in the event of a collision.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

sneakyfrog posted:

we all deserve death friend

alas, it is true.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Counter-counterpoint - plenty of people outright disable or ignore these safety features anyways (disabling airbags, not wearing seat belts, distracted/drunk driving), it's not the car's fault people are stupid. To be clear, I'm fine with belts, airbags, ABS, On-Star & all that, but it gets ridiculous that manufacturers have to stupid-proof cars for people who shouldn't have a goddamn license, let alone a vehicle. We shouldn't need lane departure warnings, automatic stop systems, or poo poo to tell people to keep their eyes on the road - if they're that clueless, either take away their license permanently or let them off themselves being stupid, it's no loss to the rest of us.

What a compelling argument: "I'm okay with mandatory safety technology provided it's the exact level of mandatory safety technology that existed when I started driving."

It's truly an amazing coincidence that you, of all people, started driving at exactly the right time when all necessary safety equipment was mandated, but before this new superfluous bullshit existed. What luck, I say!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

This safety stuff is a fine line.

Problem is car makers are like "hey, now we have this let's make a design change because of it."

Rented a Pacifica a couple years ago that had blindspot indicators. When packed full of kids and luggage the thing literally had a blindspot the size of Texas and was drat near impossible to do the over-the-shoulder look to make sure things were clear.

Lane departure? Hell Ford Superduty's practically create death wobble when it happens.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm waiting for those features to be on all vehicles so I'm less likely to be taken out on my bike by someone in a car not paying attention.

I bet this stuff does not do enough to adequately protect motorcyclists or bicycles, because a bicyclist falls between the two strict classes of "car-sized things" and "pedestrians" that are part of the government test standards.

The automakers are 100% doing a very close reading of these standards. I also hope your riding gear isn't all black.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The problem is that risk compensation is a real phenomenon - these safety features that compensate or mitigate for driver inattention will cause even more inattention.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I bet this stuff does not do enough to adequately protect motorcyclists or bicycles, because a bicyclist falls between the two strict classes of "car-sized things" and "pedestrians" that are part of the government test standards.

The automakers are 100% doing a very close reading of these standards. I also hope your riding gear isn't all black.

Based on seeing the light, basically all the blind spot systems I've seen detect bicycles and have kept me from being right hooked once or twice.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This is loving perfect. Honda absolutely did it right.

When a passenger of foot heave in sight, tootle the horn. Trumpet at him melodiously first, but if he still obstacles your passage, then tootle him with vigor.

Dog on Fire
Oct 2, 2004

One plus about the lane departure thing is that when someone falls asleep behind the wheel, there’s at least a chance that the system will keep the car in its lane until it comes to a stop.
I have it on my car and while it does stupid things at times, so I need to guard it all the time in case it decides to yank the wheel confusedly all of a sudden, I feel it’s a net positive.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Powershift posted:

Have the 15 dashboard screens all show pictures of Donald Trump in the event of a collision.

There was no collision.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Are Ladas the Russian version of holden utes or something?

They seem to be over represented in Russian dashcam vids

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

New Dash Cam Owners Australia video.

https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwnersAustralia/videos/396301367613032/

Due to ViralHog pulling a DCMA on DCOA, they can't upload videos to YouTube at the moment. gently caress ViralHog

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

SlapActionJackson posted:

The problem is that risk compensation is a real phenomenon - these safety features that compensate or mitigate for driver inattention will cause even more inattention.

You know there's organizations that track this, right? Number of crash fatalities per mile is trending down because cars are getting safer faster than drivers can get worse. Because, as we all know, people are poo poo at estimating risk.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

You Am I posted:

Due to ViralHog pulling a DCMA on DCOA, they can't upload videos to YouTube at the moment. gently caress ViralHog

Nah I'd say gently caress YouTube and their lovely terms, algorithms, practices and monetization. Viralhog is just a symptom. YouTube is a proper shithole now. I mean just look at the latest pedophilia scandal.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

You Am I posted:

There goes the mattress! *Maniacal laughter*

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

New one for me, car drove by with the Pizza Hut lighted thingy on the roof delivering pizzas. The car in question was a C5 Corvette.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

New one for me, car drove by with the Pizza Hut lighted thingy on the roof delivering pizzas. The car in question was a C5 Corvette.

I would imagine if UberEats or Skip the Dishes labeled their delivery vehicles here stuff like that would stand out. It's unbelievable how many of them are out there at this point, and just from seeing them come out of restaurants with the bag, a lot of them drive new Mercedes C-classes and BMW X3s/X5s.

Doing the math on it, it would be hard to justify doing it in a base model micra that you can trash after 200,000kms for 5 cents/km. I can't imagine how they can justify doing it in a vehicle that costs 50 cents a km in depreciation, never mind maintenance and repairs.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Powershift posted:

I would imagine if UberEats or Skip the Dishes labeled their delivery vehicles here stuff like that would stand out. It's unbelievable how many of them are out there at this point, and just from seeing them come out of restaurants with the bag, a lot of them drive new Mercedes C-classes and BMW X3s/X5s.

Doing the math on it, it would be hard to justify doing it in a base model micra that you can trash after 200,000kms for 5 cents/km. I can't imagine how they can justify doing it in a vehicle that costs 50 cents a km in depreciation, never mind maintenance and repairs.

Oh I believe you. Yeah, I'll pay a buck more to have my pizza delivered via a Bimmer.

It was just weird because I live in the rust belt and a random afternoon before weather gets lovely.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Guy in front of me today had an "If you can read this back off" sticker, an aftermarket brake light on his back window and two more brake lights on his mud flaps. Crazy or just got really pissed when someone rear-ended him?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

sleepy.eyes posted:

Guy in front of me today had an "If you can read this back off" sticker, an aftermarket brake light on his back window and two more brake lights on his mud flaps. Crazy or just got really pissed when someone rear-ended him?

If it keeps you from getting buttholed, it's worth the effort. I added an extra brake light to my old motorcycle just because.

I've said it here before, and have no concrete study to back it up, but I hypothesize that front end damage is a major indicator of lovely driver while rear end damage is 50/50 bad luck/lovely driver.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

dee eight posted:

If it keeps you from getting buttholed, it's worth the effort. I added an extra brake light to my old motorcycle just because.

I've said it here before, and have no concrete study to back it up, but I hypothesize that front end damage is a major indicator of lovely driver while rear end damage is 50/50 bad luck/lovely driver.

I give people a wide berth who have a dent in their right door because I think they don't give right of way

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Powershift posted:

There’s no rational thought behind those drivers’ decisions, just a serious cash flow issues.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

glyph posted:

There’s no rational thought behind those drivers’ decisions, just a serious cash flow issues.

"I need to make more money now, this is the easiest way."

The costs come later.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

You Am I posted:

Still surprised at how many drivers there are going the wrong way in those videos.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

hmmxkrazee posted:

Still surprised at how many drivers there are going the wrong way in those videos.

loving near all of them from my perspective :v:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

When did people decide that the shoulder is now the right turn lane?

There's one intersection in particular that also has a bike lane and a full shoulder and people will ride the shoulder for a full quarter mile to make a right turn.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If they're one of the dipshits who has to slow down to .05 mph to make an unobstructed right turn, that's where they belong.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Shrapnig posted:

When did people decide that the shoulder is now the right turn lane?

There's one intersection in particular that also has a bike lane and a full shoulder and people will ride the shoulder for a full quarter mile to make a right turn.

A quarter mile is egregious, but the practice is not uncommon around here. If the shoulder is wide enough and clear, folks use it like a deceleration lane to let traffic behind maintain speed. One particular intersection on my commute has a nice shoulder and room to go right on a red light instead of waiting 3 or 4 cars back for the light to change. It's all situational, and if done properly and safely, helps smooth traffic flow and reduce congestion.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw someone get in the acceleration lane, drive to the end of it, and then come to a stop and turn their blinker on. Really, man? If 300 feet isn't enough for you to get up to speed just wait till it is.

Are acceleration lanes not a thing everywhere (in the US) or are these people just morons?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

sleepy.eyes posted:

Are acceleration lanes not a thing everywhere (in the US) or are these people just morons?

Your question contains the answer, after the "or."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
It is mandatory and safe to merge into the bike lane before you make your turn. Like 100-200 feet though, not a 1/4mi.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Ideally only if there are no bikes there

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
gently caress the bicycles, I would kill for having cars pull out of the through lanes when making turns. I was talking with a teacher who was saying he was so aggravated by people who come to a complete stop to make a left turn when there are double yellow lines, like a 4 lane surface street without a center turning lane. I only wish that were the biggest issue. Instead daily people slow down to a complete stop, in the through lanes, when there IS a central turning lane, just pull the hell over into that empty no mans land already people. Starbucks Dunkin Donuts recently installed a traffic generating drive through coffee shop and the idiocy is like 10 fold already. I know not to go near Starbucks because people are drive like nuts to spill expensive coffee on their laps, but the drat Dunkin Donuts is right near my house and unavoidable. The biggest thing I hate is that so many drivers see a driveway that is just past a traffic light, and they stop in the through lane because their path is blocked by everyone sitting at the red light, and 100ft further down is another wide open drive by nope that one is farther away from the coffee.

In related news, I took the outer lane of a double left turn lane tonight, a task I normally do without incident. Tonight I got to test just how much stopping my 4/32" of worn out brake pads had left in them because some moron in the inner lane had to dive to the outer lane. I honked several times and flipped the idiot off while I admired all my poo poo that was recently relocated to my floorboards. I'm 99%sure there is piece of popcorn chicken which is now a permanent fixture in my floor vents. The best part was less than 300ft later, the idiot had to get back in the left lane to make a left turn. I only wish my biggest problem with traffic was people pulling out of the through lanes to make a right turn, or stopping in the through lane to make a left turn at a double yellow line.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
When making right turns I always use the shoulder or move over to the right if it is safe to do so and there is traffic behind me.

I thought this was just common courtesy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

When making right turns I always use the shoulder or move over to the right if it is safe to do so and there is traffic behind me.

I thought this was just common courtesy.

I do this but traffic codes can make this illegal since they usually say you must begin a turn in the right most lane to make a right turn. Cops can say that by going into the shoulder you’re not in the right most lane. Usually just a dick move. My dad got a ticket for it in CO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes they slap up DO NOT DRIVE ON SHOULDER signs too which is just fuel for cops in a bad mood to ruin your morning.

I don't get it myself, if they make the road 6 feet wider than the actual lanes you're wasting everyone's time by not using that pavement to get the gently caress out of the way and make your turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Getting tailed by a nissan rogue (of course) from the entry of the campus all the way to here. The red areas are reserved or already taken. If you don't get here before 7am every day you have to park a 5 minute walk away. They have shuttles during the winter. I take the blue path and she takes the purple path.

She parks next to me and throws her hands up and gives me a dirty look. I'd have yielded if I knew where she was going, or even if she pushed it and insisted but she slow played it. :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!