Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The hardware is fine. HP Elite 8300 i7. They get really snappy if you replace the spindle drives, and do just fine with 8gb ram so that's what we're doing.
I'm really hoping to get this to coincide with our Windows 10 deployment. Since we don't have a pxe boot server the fastest way to do this is probably just image a shitton of SSD's and swap them out, run ghost walk on first boot and deal with the special snowflake software installations later.

Did you know that you can launch a Litetouch deployment from within windows? You don't have to network boot at all, the scripts will apply the deployment PE image, then restart automatically.

Companies that don't do network deployments in TYOL 2017. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Since we don't have a pxe boot server the fastest way to do this is probably just

to set up a deployment environment since you have 300 to do.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Fool posted:

Did you know that you can launch a Litetouch deployment from within windows? You don't have to network boot at all, the scripts will apply the deployment PE image, then restart automatically.

I still haven't set up any sort of network deployment at work and I feel ashamed about this constantly.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

300 or so. A fair number of them are laptops that come and go from our network, seemingly as they please.

Just to be clear, you realize that SCCM has a hard requirement for an intrusive client agent, right?

Like someone else said, use Powershell to pull the machine list from AD and do a foreach {GWMI -class Win32_ComputerSystem -Computer $_} for whatever you want to pull. Assuming you guys haven't turned off WinRM, that is.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 1, 2017

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
You can set up MDT with a discovery image on a USB stick in about 2 hours or so.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The hardware is fine. HP Elite 8300 i7. They get really snappy if you replace the spindle drives, and do just fine with 8gb ram so that's what we're doing.
I'm really hoping to get this to coincide with our Windows 10 deployment. Since we don't have a pxe boot server the fastest way to do this is probably just image a shitton of SSD's and swap them out, run ghost walk on first boot and deal with the special snowflake software installations later.

Good god, this poo poo is hurting my soul

I would push out a powershell script via GPO that gathers the info you need and dumps it to a .csv on the c: drive, and copies it to a network share you setup somewhere. You can combine all csv files into one big csv file pretty easily.

Imaging with MDT can be done with an offline media set as well in addition to the aforementioned running Litetouch from the computer itself. We have small remote sites we ship external hard drives or USB sticks to with offline MDT info if a machine needs to be reimaged.

This poo poo is turning into goon in a well though. Next you'll tell us you can use GPO's and there's no money for a thumbdrive.

Inspector_666 posted:

I still haven't set up any sort of network deployment at work and I feel ashamed about this constantly.

Not the end of the world as long as you don't spend a dumb amount of time re imaging things. I used fat images a decade ago when I was a support guy for a building that had 100% of the same make/model computers. Once we got 3 different models and 6 different images I moved to a proper imaging solution and never looked back. gently caress fat images.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 1, 2017

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

You can set up MDT with a discovery image on a USB stick in about 2 hours or so.

Man half that time is just going to be downloading and installing the ADK.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Just to be clear, you realize that SCCM has a hard requirement for an intrusive client agent, right?

Like someone else said, use Powershell to pull the machine list from AD and do a foreach {GWMI -class Win32_ComputerSystem -Computer $_} for whatever you want to pull. Assuming you guys haven't turned off WinRM, that is.

Which we already have installed on the computers. The boss is distrustful of 3rd party applications. Particularly ones we haven't evaluated yet.

Thanks Ants posted:

to set up a deployment environment since you have 300 to do.
I've been down that road. "We already have GhostBoot (running on a desktop with 5 spindle drives for storage). We don't need to spin up another deployment server. :colbert:" <insert hour long rant about questioning policy and procedure>

The Fool posted:

I am aware but we aren't going to be given any time outside of business hours to do this. Pre-applying the image to the SSD's and then ghostwalking them will minimize downtime for the users although it will suck pretty profoundly for our department. Er... I should say, will suck profoundly for the one part-time guy who is gonna be doing it.
But yeah I agree. I try to make the case about once every couple months and inevitably get shutdown "because reasons."

skipdogg posted:

Good god, this poo poo is hurting my soul

I would push out a powershell script via GPO that gathers the info you need and dumps it to a .csv on the c: drive, and copies it to a network share you setup somewhere. You can combine all csv files into one big csv file pretty easily.

Imaging with MDT can be done with an offline media set as well in addition to the aforementioned running Litetouch from the computer itself. We have small remote sites we ship external hard drives or USB sticks to with offline MDT info if a machine needs to be reimaged.

This poo poo is turning into goon in a well though. Next you'll tell us you can use GPO's and there's no money for a thumbdrive.

Not the end of the world as long as you don't spend a dumb amount of time re imaging things. I used fat images a decade ago when I was a support guy for a building that had 100% of the same make/model computers. Once we got 3 different models and 6 different images I moved to a proper imaging solution and never looked back. gently caress fat images.
:agreed: I remember the day I found out about Ninite. I said gently caress this poo poo and changed to a thin image on the spot that ran Ninite on first boot. We still had to install Photoshop manually but the other 99% of our computers I didn't even have to touch.
We have money for a thumbdrive, we just also have a boss who thinks he knows better than his sysadmins.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 1, 2017

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Which we already have installed on the computers. The boss is distrustful of 3rd party applications. Particularly ones we haven't evaluated yet.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood. If that's the case you're already done; use some of the builtin canned hardware reports in SCCM to pull the info. It's already prepped for you assuming you've got all the correct stuff enabled in your Hardware Inventory WMI checklist.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

They just fired one of our remote workers :(

I am not surprised, our manager has been gunning for him for a while, but he's a smart guy (also he's the SME on a product we use and it's going to be difficult to pickup management of it), he just doesn't communicate well and his work has been a little sloppy lately. He's got a lot of poo poo going on in his life so I'm not surprised he was sloppy, from what I heard his wife left him, he's got 3 kids etc etc and now he doesn't have a job.

I'm sad, need dog.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Opinion time: is a 6600u with 8gb of RAM getting bogged down on a 10850 row, 53 column Excel sheet (all formulas) with source data sheets holding the same rows and then some for about 45 seconds per update a lovely computer, lovely optimization, or both? I'm thinking both.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Opinion time: is a 6600u with 8gb of RAM getting bogged down on a 10850 row, 53 column Excel sheet (all formulas) with source data sheets holding the same rows and then some for about 45 seconds per update a lovely computer, lovely optimization, or both? I'm thinking both.

Surely to god there's software or a database for this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Why the gently caress is an Excel sheet being used here.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You would think so, but it's a Budget/Actual report for a project nowhere near done.

Technically the source data is in the ERP database, but there's no way to plug it in that I know of.

We're going to be doing some SQL work soon, my boss mentioned using SQL in Excel, so maybe we're just making GBS threads something out for the steering committee to keep them happy while we do it right.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That data should be processed by something that isn't Excel.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I guess I didn't realize that huge Excel sheets like that were so unusual. At one of my jobs the tax accountant had sheets that were literally hundreds of thousands of rows.

The only reason this is even taking so long is that I'm having to fill in holes in our documentation as I go. This is the first report this company has ever had, before this the (former) VPs said "I think we need about this much money and will make about this much money."

Welp, mine is not to question why, mine but to do and die (of old age waiting on this thing).

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 1, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I guess I didn't realize that huge Excel sheets like that were so unusual. At one of my jobs the tax accountant had sheets that were literally hundreds of thousands of rows.

That's the kind of thing Excel supports because bad users demand it, so Microsoft has to code support in, not something Excel is good for.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The only reason this is even taking so long is that I'm having to fill in holes in our documentation as I go. This is the first report this company has ever had, before this the (former) VPs said "I think we need about this much money and will make about this much money."

Welp, mine is not to question why, mine but to do and die (of old age waiting on this thing).

Huge excel sheets like that aren't exactly unusual (hell they probably spawned at least 1 of the 3 IT bitching threads), but they do not work well, as you see, and whatever you're doing with them should be pushed to a DB of some kind because then hours of your life aren't wasted waiting for excel to stop dying.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Let's be honest, I'm wasting those hours of my life on the forums.

Thankfully even if we can't hook it into a database (Thanks departed employees for buying a second completely unrelated program that uses a sectional database and doesn't talk with anything else), once I reverse engineer all of the poo poo that should have been written down years ago, it will be a 15-20 minute job even with tracking down the new details that should have been written down.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Has anyone else just had an issue with Fortinet's provided DNS service, 208.91.112.53 and 208.91.112.52, just going down?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Let's be honest, I'm wasting those hours of my life on the forums.

Thankfully even if we can't hook it into a database (Thanks departed employees for buying a second completely unrelated program that uses a sectional database and doesn't talk with anything else), once I reverse engineer all of the poo poo that should have been written down years ago, it will be a 15-20 minute job even with tracking down the new details that should have been written down.

What exactly are you doing with this ERP system? I'm essentially a Business Systems Analyst so if it's doing something remotely normal I might be able to offer some suggestions.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I am also dealing with this although I have mostly washed my hands of it. Basically people entire job's are dealing with data in excel in some depts yet they aren't people who know excel very well. I have stated more than multiple times that this isn't a hardware issue and that its a knowledge issue with those manipulating data. I have also stated that excel isn't cutting it anymore and that we are becoming a big data company and we need professionals who can work with it.

Basically the best course has been throwing hardware, windows 10, and office 2016 at the issue and its been corrected for now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sickening posted:

I am also dealing with this although I have mostly washed my hands of it. Basically people entire job's are dealing with data in excel in some depts yet they aren't people who know excel very well. I have stated more than multiple times that this isn't a hardware issue and that its a knowledge issue with those manipulating data. I have also stated that excel isn't cutting it anymore and that we are becoming a big data company and we need professionals who can work with it.

Basically the best course has been throwing hardware, windows 10, and office 2016 at the issue and its been corrected for now.

Thankfully the IT management group at my company says that all we're responsible for is to make sure Excel installs and runs. If they make a spreadsheet that won't run because of crazy rear end formulas it's on the end user. Unfortunately that doesn't work for most people at their jobs :smith:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Thankfully the IT management group at my company says that all we're responsible for is to make sure Excel installs and runs. If they make a spreadsheet that won't run because of crazy rear end formulas it's on the end user. Unfortunately that doesn't work for most people at their jobs :smith:

I have taken an extensive amount of time in meetings going over speedsheets and the kinds of things that are in them. Our CFO was very skeptical when I said that excel freezing up wasn't because excel was having problems. He use to be CTO of a few companies with large programming departments so when i showed him the raw data of some of these excel spreadsheets and exactly how much code was involved he finally took notice.

It also took a little time to get him to realize that big data folks are rare and expensive.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sickening posted:

I have taken an extensive amount of time in meetings going over speedsheets and the kinds of things that are in them. Our CFO was very skeptical when I said that excel freezing up wasn't because excel was having problems. He use to be CTO of a few companies with large programming departments so when i showed him the raw data of some of these excel spreadsheets and exactly how much code was involved he finally took notice.

It also took a little time to get him to realize that big data folks are rare and expensive.

I'm not super well versed in big data, but it's something that has just recently become a mainstream field based on my experience. I would say for the majority of company's, having a relational database backend with a frontend is probably the best way to handle things like Excel. It's not a tool for planning your operation, it's for data analysis.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vargatron posted:

We're currently dealing with poo poo where the person in charge of Finance is complaining about Excel crashing. Can't tell us anything about the spreadsheet and also refuses to show them to us because they have sensitive financial info in them.

The CTO doesn't really understand how we're supposed to resolve the issue.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I'm not super well versed in big data, but it's something that has just recently become a mainstream field based on my experience. I would say for the majority of company's, having a relational database backend with a frontend is probably the best way to handle things like Excel. It's not a tool for planning your operation, it's for data analysis.

We have database backends that are fine(or at least seem that way), the problem is that we don't have people to take the data from there all the way to data analysis endgame. There just is anyone with any respectable expertise in the entire company.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vargatron posted:

What exactly are you doing with this ERP system? I'm essentially a Business Systems Analyst so if it's doing something remotely normal I might be able to offer some suggestions.

Budgets and actuals. The thing is that our budget and some actuals come out of a completely different (piece of poo poo) system that one portion of the company uses. That system has minimal reporting options and no way to plug its database into any external program. You can't even get a report of each entry, you can only get an aggregate by cost code.

I'm wondering if it's possible to pull that data into our ERP system like we do hours entered into the piece of crap. I'd have to ask the accountant who does that. My boss is hoping to get rid of it eventually, but who knows if or when that will happen.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Excel used to, and probably still does, exhibit some weirdness on hyper-threaded processors. I don't know if this is the problem you're having, or where the setting is for the maximum processes it will spawn, but maybe that's the band-aid you need.

edit: should probably mention that I've never run into this problem and it may just be weirdos on the internet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also if it's using a ton of RAM it might be worth looking at the 64-bit version. Unless you use some plugins that don't run in 64-bit.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Still being told in 2017 that we don't need an imaging server

Built MDT+WDS anyway. Boss noticed it. and said that it was unnecessary. Just do it manually. Showed him hard data and just the amount of imaging that was done the last 3 months and the amount of time it has saved so far. He replied with; I guess it doesn't hurt to have it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sefal posted:

Still being told in 2017 that we don't need an imaging server

Built MDT+WDS anyway. Boss noticed it. and said that it was unnecessary. Just do it manually. Showed him hard data and just the amount of imaging that was done the last 3 months and the amount of time it has saved so far. He replied with; I guess it doesn't hurt to have it.

Weird, currently in the middle of trying to get a MDT+WDS build as soon as I have the time. Boss keep's telling me its really important and that it needs to be done, but every time I fence off a couple of hours to just get started with it, it gets cancelled with "important poo poo".

Guess it's never getting done.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Budgets and actuals. The thing is that our budget and some actuals come out of a completely different (piece of poo poo) system that one portion of the company uses. That system has minimal reporting options and no way to plug its database into any external program. You can't even get a report of each entry, you can only get an aggregate by cost code.

I'm wondering if it's possible to pull that data into our ERP system like we do hours entered into the piece of crap. I'd have to ask the accountant who does that. My boss is hoping to get rid of it eventually, but who knows if or when that will happen.

Hmm, is it a SQL backend? If it were possible I'd write a stored procedure that does as much of the data processing as possible then dump that out into a secondary table where all the finished data lives. Then they can hook Excel into that table where mos of the work is already done.

I've written a few data processing routines that are very taxing to the database, but are ran in off hours. Database servers are better equipped for complex operations than Excel.

Though I completely understand if this isn't possible with your system.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

dogstile posted:

Weird, currently in the middle of trying to get a MDT+WDS build as soon as I have the time. Boss keep's telling me its really important and that it needs to be done, but every time I fence off a couple of hours to just get started with it, it gets cancelled with "important poo poo".

Guess it's never getting done.

No, you're just supposed to stay late every day until it's finished. Right?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah they can gently caress off :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Hmm, is it a SQL backend? If it were possible I'd write a stored procedure that does as much of the data processing as possible then dump that out into a secondary table where all the finished data lives. Then they can hook Excel into that table where mos of the work is already done.

I've written a few data processing routines that are very taxing to the database, but are ran in off hours. Database servers are better equipped for complex operations than Excel.

Though I completely understand if this isn't possible with your system.

Yeah, it's a SQL backend. I'll think about it. That might work if I could just feed the data directly into the sheet so it's not using so many volatile functions.

Unrelated, holy crap. First thing in the morning I find out they let five people go for performance issues effective immediately. Including the one person on my team that actually knows the ERP system.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, Microsoft essentially made their own XPS 13 clone, overpriced it by $200, put a gimped version of Windows on it and thinks this is going to stop encroachment of Chromebooks on the EDU space?

I mean, I do love the look of the hardware, but the Surface Laptop seems to be a complete and utter misfire from every other perspective.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Eh,

It's more like a Windows MacBook?

Which isn't that bad at all?

Edit: Probably going to buy one.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 2, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bull3964 posted:

So, Microsoft essentially made their own XPS 13 clone, overpriced it by $200, put a gimped version of Windows on it and thinks this is going to stop encroachment of Chromebooks on the EDU space?

I mean, I do love the look of the hardware, but the Surface Laptop seems to be a complete and utter misfire from every other perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Hardware looks great but yeah I'm just gonna get a new Chromebook :|