Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not helpful, just because something applies to you doesn't mean it does to everyone. Facebook is incredibly useful for keeping in touch with lot of my friends and family in various circles from various geographic locations, as well as sharing photos and planning events with them. It would make me a massive pain in the rear end to try and force my friends to use some other service, and I would end up not communicating certain things or certain ways as much.

Yeah I quit facebook and it was ok until my wife quit it too, and now I have situations like my elderly parents not even telling me they're going to Mexico for a month because they assume I will hear through the facebook grapevine, and I don't. No one my age uses facebook anymore but of course being 70+ years old they're now facebook fiends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

MikeJF posted:

Beyond Facebook, who are just blatantly evil, I'm actually kinda annoyed that the journal that received the paper didn't reject it for unethical practices and publish an article about why they made that decision instead. The scientific community should've made a stand on unacceptable ethics there.

There's a lot of things that are blatantly evil. A social media site sightly tweaking Its algorithm for 1 of every 2500 users to not surface as many of their friend's humblebrags for one week to do scientific research is not one of them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

We were just talking about sales of phones and there's some interesting data here.

Specifically, they have some data on sales of specific models in the three months ending November 2016. Bear in mind, these numbers are of the entire US smartphone market, not just Android marketshare:

quote:

iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPhone 6s were the three most popular smartphones in the US at the beginning of the holiday period, for a combined 31.3% share. The Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 edge were the fourth and fifth best-selling phones in the US, with Samsung capturing 28.9% of smartphone sales.

Although Android decreased in the US over the past year, the brand new Pixel phone by Google made strong gains, rising to 1.3% of sales in the three months ending November 2016, with more than half of that business done through Verizon.

One thing they don't say is absolute smartphone sales numbers, so we can't extrapolate that to units sold, but we can say that there is a little more than one Pixel sold for every 25 Samsung phones (unclear if that 28.9% is just the s7/s7e or all of the other ones too, but I'm reading it as all Samsungs), and that "over half" of those Pixels were sold through Verizon, which surprises me that it wouldn't be well over three-quarters. Given the way fractions in the news works I'd say we can safely say that more than 51% were sold through Verizon but not 66%.

The press release with the graph is mostly uninteresting (you can see their only graph here) but thought the Pixel numbers were interesting on their own since I think that's the most we've ever heard about Google device sales numbers. Also worth noting is that the Pixel wasn't really available until mid-October.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I've been using the FB mobile site for years now and its perfectly fine. Them breaking Messenger is a huge bummer tho.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I've been using the FB mobile site for years now and its perfectly fine. Them breaking Messenger is a huge bummer tho.

They pushed another update today, so hopefully it was to address whatever had gone wrong (although I want to say it was a server side issue anyway). Messenger definitely went battery/cpu crazy yesterday, but seemed to be back to working fine after forcing it closed and re-opening it. It's not perma-broken like the FB app.

EDIT:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/01/11/google-brings-taps-screenshot-feature-assistant-pixel/

loving yes! I didn't realize how much I used this feature til I moved from a 6P to a Pixel. Glad to have it back.

Slightly related: does Assistant not launch via long-pressing Home while in Chrome Beta for anyone else?

XIII fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 11, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

XIII posted:

They pushed another update today, so hopefully it was to address whatever had gone wrong (although I want to say it was a server side issue anyway). Messenger definitely went battery/cpu crazy yesterday, but seemed to be back to working fine after forcing it closed and re-opening it. It's not perma-broken like the FB app.\

That's good. I can't find a wrapper app that I like, i'ts likely due to the mobile site, but they all are slow, buggy (everything from notification counts to comment issues), and missing FB features (live video, etc). I've tried Swipe and Metal, any others I should look at?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

We were just talking about sales of phones and there's some interesting data here.

Specifically, they have some data on sales of specific models in the three months ending November 2016. Bear in mind, these numbers are of the entire US smartphone market, not just Android marketshare:

One thing they don't say is absolute smartphone sales numbers, so we can't extrapolate that to units sold, but we can say that there is a little more than one Pixel sold for every 25 Samsung phones (unclear if that 28.9% is just the s7/s7e or all of the other ones too, but I'm reading it as all Samsungs), and that "over half" of those Pixels were sold through Verizon, which surprises me that it wouldn't be well over three-quarters. Given the way fractions in the news works I'd say we can safely say that more than 51% were sold through Verizon but not 66%.

The press release with the graph is mostly uninteresting (you can see their only graph here) but thought the Pixel numbers were interesting on their own since I think that's the most we've ever heard about Google device sales numbers. Also worth noting is that the Pixel wasn't really available until mid-October.

Those are pretty good numbers when you consider the majority of Android phones don't reach 1.3% in their entire production run.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's not helpful, just because something applies to you doesn't mean it does to everyone. Facebook is incredibly useful for keeping in touch with lot of my friends and family in various circles from various geographic locations, as well as sharing photos and planning events with them. It would make me a massive pain in the rear end to try and force my friends to use some other service, and I would end up not communicating certain things or certain ways as much.

That's why you should move...

...to Discord.

oh god it's just a bad joke please don't hurt me

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I started using facebook a couple years ago when I said "I hate facebook, I'm never using it" and mentally designed out a replacement service for people to share news and life details on and the features list turned out to be...facebook.

The issue isn't that facebook is bad, (well, its way way way overkill for what it should be), but that the people using it are dicks.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ilkhan posted:

I started using facebook a couple years ago when I said "I hate facebook, I'm never using it" and mentally designed out a replacement service for people to share news and life details on and the features list turned out to be...facebook.

The issue isn't that facebook is bad, (well, its way way way overkill for what it should be), but that the people using it are dicks.

If Facebook and Twitter have taught us anything, it's that social media is inherently awful once it reaches a certain critical mass.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

All the cool people stopped using Facebook in 08

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

The Duggler posted:

All the cool people stopped using Facebook in 08

That's why I started using it more and more last month!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, uh, that HTC U...

It's like someone at HTC said "If we use poo poo from every manufacturer, we'll get their COMBINED sales. Let's do this!"

So we end up with a Samsung backplate, LG secondary display, and Motorola naming convention.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I got the 7.1.1 update available on my 5X. I heard mention in this thread that that may be bricking some, am I safe to update?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just did mine last night and it didn't explode.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

I got the 7.1.1 update available on my 5X. I heard mention in this thread that that may be bricking some, am I safe to update?

Come on, man, live on the edge...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Taffer posted:

No one that isn't at Google or LG knows what the true trigger causing 5x to brick. They claim it's hardware, so I would update away.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

LastInLine posted:

Come on, man, live on the edge...

well i go out of town tomorrow so I'd like to have a functional phone

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Internet Explorer posted:

I just did mine last night and it didn't explode.

same

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

well i go out of town tomorrow so I'd like to have a functional phone

That doesn't sound like the edge at all. Live life, dude! Own it!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea even as a sort of HTC insider, it's like they take everything we say, and do the exact freaking opposite.

The U looks nice, and I was a fan of the V10's screen, but uh, why copy EVERYONE ELSE and leave out the things that people liked HTC for in the past? (Front Facing Stereo Speaker that were really good, Good Metal design (HTC 10 had this at least, but not the speakers in true form) and well, nobody has done a kickstand really since the Super Successful EVO's soo......)

No idea and even at a price like $750, you would think they could afford to add all the radio crap a Nexus/Pixel has and just support all carriers out of the box. Nope, Pre Order discounts for unlocked phones only that of course don't work on Sprint/Verizon. Welp.

Keep listening to whoever you're listening to HTC. They keep giving you shovels to dig deeper.

At least Vive is good.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Taffer posted:

My wife's took several weeks to brick after the update (who knows if its related or if it is just an inevitable hardware failure), so you're probably safe in the short term? Maybe?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Here's what I don't understand about HTC.

They have to see how well the Pixel is doing since they built the drat thing. They also must hear the price complaints.

So, ape the Pixel as much as possible (so as close to stock Android as possible or even see if Google will handle the updates for you), toss in a SD 635, and sell it at $379 unlocked carrier universal.

Boom, you created a solid midrange phone that people will flock to who either can't afford the pixel or don't want to pay the price for it.

Then, and this point is key, don't poo poo out 500 variants over the next 5 months

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

7.0 is rolling out to the S7 and S7 Edge. Not 7.1 :( At least this is fast for Samsung.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Here's what I don't understand about HTC.

They have to see how well the Pixel is doing since they built the drat thing. They also must hear the price complaints.

So, ape the Pixel as much as possible (so as close to stock Android as possible or even see if Google will handle the updates for you), toss in a SD 635, and sell it at $379 unlocked carrier universal.

Boom, you created a solid midrange phone that people will flock to who either can't afford the pixel or don't want to pay the price for it.

Then, and this point is key, don't poo poo out 500 variants over the next 5 months

Agreed.

In all honesty, Sense is pretty darn light in term of OEM skinning, and outside of the U's new "AI" for the secondary screen, the HTC10 and others recently are pretty easy to bring near Pixel level of stock feeling, with sometimes a few nice value added features cooked in here and there.

One thing to look for, will be seeing how the U performs compared to a Pixel performance wise. If they can get close that wouldn't be bad considering how close the internal hardware is otherwise.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

bull3964 posted:

So, uh, that HTC U...

It's like someone at HTC said "If we use poo poo from every manufacturer, we'll get their COMBINED sales. Let's do this!"

So we end up with a Samsung backplate, LG secondary display, and Motorola naming convention.

And Apple's removal of the 3.5mm jack!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

Agreed.

In all honesty, Sense is pretty darn light in term of OEM skinning, and outside of the U's new "AI" for the secondary screen, the HTC10 and others recently are pretty easy to bring near Pixel level of stock feeling, with sometimes a few nice value added features cooked in here and there

Less about how heavy the skin is and more about update speed. The market is hungry for a midrange phone that gets monthly security updates and doesn't take 6 months to get a major update. If HTC doesn't have the staff to handle that, maybe they can get Google to bring back updates for other manufactures.

OhFunny posted:

And Apple's removal of the 3.5mm jack!

Motorola actually did it before Apple.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Motorola actually did it before Apple.
Technically HTC did it on the first consumer Android phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Back then, tons of phones had proprietary connectors for headphones and needed adapters.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Oh, you're actually debating this. My mistake. I thought I was just replying to one flippant :haw: response with another flippant :haw: response.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

True, Apple finally approaching the courageousness of HTC a decade ago.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh, you're actually debating this.

No, not really, just reminiscing.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Back then, tons of phones had proprietary connectors for headphones and needed adapters.

Yea I remember this on one of my older devices (Mogul or Touch Pro?) that had the dongle for use with headsets.

At least back then listening to music was still done on MP3 players or *gasp* CD Players since memory was still at a premium of sorts.

What puzzles me, is the HTC 10 has the best 3.5mm headphone AMP on the market even beating out that V10 at the time, and yet they drop it for the USB-C Stuff which technially still has the same audio quality, but you have to use the (rather good at least) Headphones it comes with, or like 1 other 3rd party brand until more get made. :/

In other news, the Shield Portable looks to be making a return. though it is not Shield Tablet, it does look like it has a nicer screen this time and I will say that for Movie/Gaming on the go, my OG one is fantastic for Emulator play as well as Movie watching as it does have the best speakers for such a small device of anything else I have owned. Paired with an X1 that thing should be able to fly through N64+ Emulation without issue.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oh, you're actually debating this. My mistake. I thought I was just replying to one flippant :haw: response with another flippant :haw: response.

Goons.txt

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

In other news, the Shield Portable looks to be making a return.

I don't know that it is.

That FCC application went through in June of last year, it's just showing up now because these things are automatically made public after 180 days.

It's likely a product that they canned at the 11th hour after they made the decision to move away from the handheld mobile space.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bull3964 posted:

I don't know that it is.

That FCC application went through in June of last year, it's just showing up now because these things are automatically made public after 180 days.

It's likely a product that they canned at the 11th hour after they made the decision to move away from the handheld mobile space.

A tablet + controller combo is much better, anyway. Best of both worlds. If Nvidia were to ever put out another Shield device, I think the tablet would probably be the first to be refreshed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

RVProfootballer posted:

True, Apple finally approaching the courageousness of HTC a decade ago.
Nah, apple patented no headphone jack last year.

;)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

A tablet + controller combo is much better, anyway. Best of both worlds. If Nvidia were to ever put out another Shield device, I think the tablet would probably be the first to be refreshed.

I was super excited to read this news, but reality ruins everything.

Pretty funny they kept the massive form factor though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I was super excited to read this news, but reality ruins everything.

Pretty funny they kept the massive form factor though.

Massive or not, they did pack a lot into the size of a comfortable gamepad. They both are a nice item but even with slow support, they both also are some of the best Android devices at what they are. The Android Tablet realm has fallen off a cliff it seems with the Shield Tab being one of the last reasonably priced and still good tablets left on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I love my Shield Portable, one with a better-than-720p screen would have flown right into my shopping cart.