Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

We are operating under veterinary advice, don't worry.

Edit: Okay, so we have a question, and hopefully someone has an answer. We think Charlie is constipated, which is probably aggravating (or possibly causing) the other problems. The grocery store is all out of canned pumpkin, which is what we usually give him. I don't trust human laxatives because of the size difference when it comes to dosage, and I don't want to irritate his system with a chemical laxative. Would it be safe to mix up some Metamucil or Fiber-con or whatever and give him that? Fiber supplements are going to be less harsh than laxatives.

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Can anyone recommend an auto-feeder for betta fish pellets? It's an unfiltered 2.5 gallon, I just want it to drop like 5 pellets in a day.

I'm going on a camping trip for about 12-13 days in the summer and most of my friends will be out of town working or going home, else I'd seek help from them. :(

C.TheRaven
Nov 6, 2004

I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice.

RazorBunny posted:

We are operating under veterinary advice, don't worry.

Edit: Okay, so we have a question, and hopefully someone has an answer. We think Charlie is constipated, which is probably aggravating (or possibly causing) the other problems. The grocery store is all out of canned pumpkin, which is what we usually give him. I don't trust human laxatives because of the size difference when it comes to dosage, and I don't want to irritate his system with a chemical laxative. Would it be safe to mix up some Metamucil or Fiber-con or whatever and give him that? Fiber supplements are going to be less harsh than laxatives.

If pumpkin isn't available, I'd go with a hairball remedy. The hairball remedy has petroleum/oils and what not in it that are suppose to lubricate well enough to move things along. I noticed my cat was constipated around Christmas, so I gave her the hairball remedy and it solved the issue; but she also didn't have any other health concerns, so not being a vet I don't know if that's the best remedy for all cats. I'd call the vet and get their advice, especially before using ANY human products on an animal.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

RazorBunny posted:

There are a number of prescription meds (Cisapride, Lactulose) that can help with this if you ask your vet. The OTC treatment we use for cats where I work is Miralax, which comes in a white, flavorless powder that cats usually tolerate mixed into their food. I believe the usual dosage is 1/8 teaspoon daily, but since I'm not sure on that, I'd ask your vet. As the previous poster suggested, hairball remedies can definitely help things move along, too.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I just got my cats a laser toy, and they love it. Unfortunately, one of them loves it bit too much. I stopped playing with them about half an hour ago, and I made sure to let them land on treats and mice, so they wouldn't be disappointed. But one, my oldest cat, is still looking for the laser dot. She's always been a little neurotic about shadows and light. Should I stop playing with her with the laser? I've heard that it can make them kinda crazy, but I don't know how true that is.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

nonanone posted:

I just got my cats a laser toy, and they love it. Unfortunately, one of them loves it bit too much. I stopped playing with them about half an hour ago, and I made sure to let them land on treats and mice, so they wouldn't be disappointed. But one, my oldest cat, is still looking for the laser dot. She's always been a little neurotic about shadows and light. Should I stop playing with her with the laser? I've heard that it can make them kinda crazy, but I don't know how true that is.

Some posted the other day about how they sort of hide a treat in a corner and then move the dot over it so the cat has something to "catch" when the game is over. Supposed to keep them from getting frustrated, which makes sense. Worth a shot, right?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

C.TheRaven posted:

If pumpkin isn't available, I'd go with a hairball remedy.

Yeah, we wound up just buying another tube of Petromalt.

Charlie is not 100% right now, but he is moving on his own, taking food, and purring when petted, all of which are good signs for him. Right now he's curled up in front of our fireplace enjoying the warmth. He's definitely still dealing with nausea - licking his lips a lot, abdominal trembling - but hasn't vomited, and he's gotten plenty of Pedialyte, a couple of doses of Petromalt, and some k/d wet, as well as a single crunchy treat (since he wanted it and we thought that was promising).

If this was the first time he'd done this sort of thing, you bet your rear end he'd have every kind of workup imaginable before we were willing to bring him home. This follows a pattern we've seen before a few times, so we're kind of in a holding pattern.

Right now he is meowing vigorously at me, which is both a bad sign since it sounds like he's complaining about his tummy hurting, and a good sign because he gets very quiet when he's REALLY sick, so this actually means he's feeling better.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Serella posted:

Some posted the other day about how they sort of hide a treat in a corner and then move the dot over it so the cat has something to "catch" when the game is over. Supposed to keep them from getting frustrated, which makes sense. Worth a shot, right?

That's the problem, that is what I've been doing. Letting them land on raw mice and treats. I'm hoping that it's not a big deal if she keeps searching for it for awhile, and that it won't make her all neurotic :( Anymore than a cat already is anyways.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Yay! My husband just put out a dish with gently warmed k/d wet and a little bit of chicken gravy, and Charlie ate it all up without any prompting!

I think we're out of the woods.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

RazorBunny posted:

Yay! My husband just put out a dish with gently warmed k/d wet and a little bit of chicken gravy, and Charlie ate it all up without any prompting!

So glad to hear that!

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

RazorBunny posted:

That's great news! Hopefully, he'll continue to do better.

C.TheRaven
Nov 6, 2004

I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice.

RazorBunny posted:

Fiona (cat) and I are pulling for Charlie, and so glad to hear this!!!! Hope Charlie won't be crying in pain over his tummy since he is feeling better, and that he continues this improvement!!

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
I got a 10 month old cat about a month ago from a no kill rescue shelter. He is the friendliest animal I have ever been around, besides my chinchilla. The first 2 weeks I had him everything was fine, but now he has a little patch of hair he keeps biting or licking away on the joint of his left hind leg. The skin isn't swollen or abnormal compared to the rest of his skin. We took him to a vet to get his last rabies shot and they checked him for fleas and every other common disease prior to this. He is also deaf if that has anything to do with this.

So we know it isn't fleas or anything of the sort, is this possibly stress related? We have started training him not to bite and I think it could be related to that as our deterrent is a spray bottle with tap water. Or is it something else I am not thinking of? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

con posted:

I got a 10 month old cat about a month ago from a no kill rescue shelter. He is the friendliest animal I have ever been around, besides my chinchilla. The first 2 weeks I had him everything was fine, but now he has a little patch of hair he keeps biting or licking away on the joint of his left hind leg. The skin isn't swollen or abnormal compared to the rest of his skin. We took him to a vet to get his last rabies shot and they checked him for fleas and every other common disease prior to this. He is also deaf if that has anything to do with this.

So we know it isn't fleas or anything of the sort, is this possibly stress related? We have started training him not to bite and I think it could be related to that as our deterrent is a spray bottle with tap water. Or is it something else I am not thinking of? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Some cats will overgroom from stress, but with a new shelter kitty, it could be ringworm (which your vet probably didn't check for if he wasn't showing any symptoms at the time). You're probably going to have to take him back to the vet for a definitive answer.

con
Aug 5, 2004

Crooked Booty posted:

Some cats will overgroom from stress, but with a new shelter kitty, it could be ringworm (which your vet probably didn't check for if he wasn't showing any symptoms at the time). You're probably going to have to take him back to the vet for a definitive answer.

Thanks for the quick answer, I'll try to get him in as soon as possible.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

con posted:

First I want to say it's really awesome of you to take on a deaf kitty. A lot of times they get passed over due to being special needs. Hell, my cat can hear but pretends to ignore me 90% of the time anyway.

Has there been any change to food or what sort of litter you've been using? Do you know what he was on at the shelter?

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
I need some help from some experienced dog owners. PI seems like the perfect place to get my advice!

I just adopted a puggle mix from a rescue here in Cincinnati. Her name is Betty Lou and she's 1 year old and quite cute. But, she's getting on my last nerve. Basically, I will take her out for walks every few hours but she won't poop outside. I think it's the pug in her, but she will pee pretty much immediately but will not poop. I have been going outside with her for 35 to 40 minutes and she just won't go. Do you think that clicker training will help? We don't have a back yard for her to be let out in, and getting her to poop is a chore.

Any ideas?

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
Recently posted about my pup marking the bin. Hes scheduled for the chop but what can i do to stop him peeing on well what seems everything now while i wait?

Ive tried sprays but hes just fresh marking once ive sprayed things down. Oh an ive shut off the kitchen, scolding him in the act is not affective.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Dandy Cat posted:

I need some help from some experienced dog owners. PI seems like the perfect place to get my advice!

I just adopted a puggle mix from a rescue here in Cincinnati. Her name is Betty Lou and she's 1 year old and quite cute. But, she's getting on my last nerve. Basically, I will take her out for walks every few hours but she won't poop outside. I think it's the pug in her, but she will pee pretty much immediately but will not poop. I have been going outside with her for 35 to 40 minutes and she just won't go. Do you think that clicker training will help? We don't have a back yard for her to be let out in, and getting her to poop is a chore.

Any ideas?

How long have you had her? Is she pooping at all?

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
I have had her since Saturday and yes, she will poop. She pooped twice on my carpet. She will go outside and poop sometimes too. But it's just kind of frustrating that she won't go after being outside for 35 minutes.

Dandy Cat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 8, 2009

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!
Are you crate training her?

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008

McDougirl posted:

Are you crate training her?

She is doing very well with the crate. I stick her in there when I go to work and my boyfriend lets her out when he gets home from work and takes her for a walk. I put her in the crate and give her treats and toys. Basically here is the scenario: I take her outside for a walk, usually in the morning when I get up, boyfriend walks her when he gets home from work, and I walk her before I go to bed. Yesterday for example, she went outside 4 times and she peed on all 4 passes. Then, as soon as she gets back inside, she poops on the floor. She pooped twice yesterday on my carpet, not in the same spot, but twice. I should also mention that she is a year and a half old, so I didn't think I needed to take her out every couple of hours.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

pioneermax posted:

Recently posted about my pup marking the bin. Hes scheduled for the chop but what can i do to stop him peeing on well what seems everything now while i wait?

Ive tried sprays but hes just fresh marking once ive sprayed things down. Oh an ive shut off the kitchen, scolding him in the act is not affective.
Keep him leashed to you - hard to piss on things if he's right with you all the time. Give him extra walks, so he's got less in his bladder. Finally, if he's small enough you can use a belly band temporarily. It's basically a little belt you wrap around his waist with a maxipad - if he's just marking (not full-on pissing) it'll soak it up and at least save your furniture.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon

Cuddlebottom posted:

Keep him leashed to you - hard to piss on things if he's right with you all the time. Give him extra walks, so he's got less in his bladder. Finally, if he's small enough you can use a belly band temporarily. It's basically a little belt you wrap around his waist with a maxipad - if he's just marking (not full-on pissing) it'll soak it up and at least save your furniture.

He has so far just peed on my curtains and bin (curtains are long and by the patio door).
Hes doing both spraying and puddles by the bin, if hes left in the kitchen while we go out or sleep.

Yeh ive seen those bands, but i thought he was way too big for them, hes a corgi so hes a chunky butt.

Ive shut off the kitchen and the door is permanently open for him, although hes crying to go in there.
Guess ill take him on extra walks and watch him like a hawk.

Thanks

con
Aug 5, 2004

KilGrey posted:

First I want to say it's really awesome of you to take on a deaf kitty. A lot of times they get passed over due to being special needs. Hell, my cat can hear but pretends to ignore me 90% of the time anyway.

Has there been any change to food or what sort of litter you've been using? Do you know what he was on at the shelter?

The vet at the shelter that was taking care of him recommended a food for us and my girlfriend went out and got it. Though I have no idea if it's the same food he was on at the shelter that is a very good reason for him to get stressed I imagine and I will head up there tomorrow and see what food they feed the cats and see if I can get a bag of it. I'm guessing I should just mix it in with the food they recommended for me and slowly decrease the ratio of the shelter food to help him adjust?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Whats the rational/how do you explain to someone that hitting your dog is not the right way of training your dog. Theres the logic ..dog does bad behavior -> smack the hell outta the dog when he does it -> dog learns to not do it.

porkchoppie
Jan 7, 2004

I will kill in a second.

Malalol posted:

Whats the rational/how do you explain to someone that hitting your dog is not the right way of training your dog. Theres the logic ..dog does bad behavior -> smack the hell outta the dog when he does it -> dog learns to not do it.

Maybe explain to them that hitting the dog will only cause it to become fearful and aggressive, thereby causing it to develop behavior that's even worse than whatever it was doing wrong in the first place.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Dandy Cat posted:

She is doing very well with the crate. I stick her in there when I go to work and my boyfriend lets her out when he gets home from work and takes her for a walk. I put her in the crate and give her treats and toys. Basically here is the scenario: I take her outside for a walk, usually in the morning when I get up, boyfriend walks her when he gets home from work, and I walk her before I go to bed. Yesterday for example, she went outside 4 times and she peed on all 4 passes. Then, as soon as she gets back inside, she poops on the floor. She pooped twice yesterday on my carpet, not in the same spot, but twice. I should also mention that she is a year and a half old, so I didn't think I needed to take her out every couple of hours.

You probably just need to stay outside with her, walking or playing, until she does poop. Eventually, she will poop & when she does you give her praise like she just cured cancer. Seriously, make pooping the most awesome thing ever & she'll want to go outside. Treats will also probably help since pugs are so food motivated.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008

GoreJess posted:

You probably just need to stay outside with her, walking or playing, until she does poop. Eventually, she will poop & when she does you give her praise like she just cured cancer. Seriously, make pooping the most awesome thing ever & she'll want to go outside. Treats will also probably help since pugs are so food motivated.

I'll just keep plugging away at the treating but seriously, today we went outside before I went to work and she just lays in the grass. :bang:

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
I adopted a neutered, male, adult cat last night. He's used the litterbox a handful of times since then, both pee and poo, and the pees (based on the clumping) seem to be a normal amount. However, I've noticed a few times today a few dime-to-quarter sized wet spots on my bed, where he hangs out much of the time. I thought maybe he was licking the bed, but I definitely noticed one right where he was sitting after he got up, and it smelled a little bit like urine (but the scent wasn't super strong).

He's pee'd today, and didn't seem to be straining, no yowling from the box, etc. He's mewing a fair amount, but he's a new cat, so I have no clue if this is his way, or if he's just getting used to the place, or if he's in distress. They don't seem like distress mews, but... again, I have nothing to compare it to, with him. He has been drinking water. I felt around where his bladder is, and didn't feel anything distended, and he had no issues with me feelin' the area.

He has a vet appointment on Saturday morning, but does this sound likes crystals or UTI? I've never had a male cat, and even though he's neutered, maybe he's just marking his new place? Basically I'm just wondering if there's any explanation for this behaviour other than urinary problems. I do realize the severity of urinary problems, and will get him to a vet fast if that's likely to be the case, but since he's not displaying any other symptoms, I thought I'd ask here first.

mumblingscrapwaver
Dec 13, 2007

unnecessary complication

bee soup posted:

pee issues

Maybe call an e-vet and ask them if they think you should bring him in?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

So I'm glad that Charlie is eating enthusiastically again, but does he have to steal the chicken off my plate when I'm not looking? :D

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

bee soup posted:

pee issues

If he's eating, drinking, and going to the bathroom, it's unlikely that he's blocked. I also doubt he'd be marking on your bed where he's sitting - when male cats spray, it's usually against a wall or something else vertical. He could have crystals. Actual bacterial bladder infections are very rare in cats under 8-10 years old, but if he's older, that's a possibility too.

There's also a condition in cats that's not too uncommon where stress can trigger an uncomfortable inflammation in the bladder that will make them pee frequent, small amounts, sometimes outside the litter box. We see it most often in multi-cat households where a cat is getting picked on, but I suspect a new home could be stressful, too.

As long as he's eating, drinking, acting normal, and producing a normal amount of urine, it's probably not an emergency. Your vet should be able to run a urinalysis when you take him in on Saturday which should provide some answers.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
Thank you so much, Crooked Booty. I called an e-vet, and they said it didn't sound like an emergency but to bring him in immediately if I noticed him not using the litter box, or any distress.

Hopefully he's just adjusting.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

RazorBunny posted:

So I'm glad that Charlie is eating enthusiastically again, but does he have to steal the chicken off my plate when I'm not looking? :D

Yes, yes I think he does.

tripwires
Oct 21, 2005

by The Finn
Anyone have an option on the kirkland [costco branded] cat food. The 1st ingredient is chicken and it says super premium on the package, which must mean its good right? Just want to make sure I am not feeding my kitty crap.

The Hoobit
Jan 5, 2007

Greatest little Hoobit of them all
Kind of an embarassing situation.. my cat has fleas.

She was my grandma's cat, and I agreed to take her after grandma decided she could no longer properly care for her, around the end of January. Everything is awesome and I love her to death, mostly because she's hilarious (she's an 11 year old Persian, so she always looks fuckin' pissed) but she's also great company.

When I got her at the end of January she had been fresh from the groomer's, no fleas at all. I noticed a few on her after some time, even though she's indoor only, but we live in Florida close to a wooded area.. so that's not too surprising. I got her some Frontline and applied it (Advantage reportedly didn't work on her when she lived with my grandma). Fast forward two weeks and it's bad, much worse than I ever expected. Her fur is so long and dense and fine, I didn't notice anything at first... then I realized that she leaves a trail of flea dirt wherever she goes, and those white specks in her fur aren't dandruff... they're flea nits :gonk:

If I sound ignorant, it's because I am. Sugar is the first pet I've had on my own besides rats, and my childhood dog and cat just got their monthly topical treatments and I never saw one flea on them, even though the cat was indoor/outdoor. I've never dealt with a flea problem and I've got no idea where to start. Obviously the Frontline alone isn't going to do the job. I'd rather not have to shave her, since I don't mind brushing and I like having a fluffy cat, but I'll do what I have to do.

tl;dr: my cat has hella fleas and Frontline didn't work. I want my cat to stop itching :( Here is a pic of her being stalked by ALF

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

tripwires posted:

Anyone have an option on the kirkland [costco branded] cat food. The 1st ingredient is chicken and it says super premium on the package, which must mean its good right? Just want to make sure I am not feeding my kitty crap.

It's mentioned in the Pet Nutrition Megathread, but the dog food is better than the cat food. The cat food is not awful, not at all, but it's not ultra-premium. However, if you simply can't afford anything better, then it's miles above feeding your cat corn, wheat, soy and by-product laden grocery store food.

Ms. Fabulosity!
Aug 31, 2008

The Hoobit posted:

tl;dr: my cat has hella fleas and Frontline didn't work. I want my cat to stop itching :( Here is a pic of her being stalked by ALF

I got nothing besides the fact that I want to squeeze the poo poo out of your cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

The Hoobit posted:

Kind of an embarassing situation.. my cat has fleas.

You might want to ask your vet about changing topicals and/or using a more frequent dosing regimen. The feral rescue I worked with used Revolution, and dosed at 2 week intervals if there was a really bad infestation. But check with the vet first, it might be different for a fluffball like that.