Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

the loving lick from Birdland

You might have to be a little more specific

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
the head, the first bass thing at the top of the song

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Vino posted:

When I slap my right hand is typically doing a rhythm machine kind of motion where it's constantly waving back and forth, two times per beat, and you opportunistically hit or pop the string whenever it's appropriate. You can see Alex doing it in the video. So, your thumb never gets a chance to rest on the string, it's already bounced back up.

I think the way Alex does it might be a bit misleading because when he's doing it slow he only waves his hand once per beat, but when he starts playing with the band he does it twice as fast. He shows you how to do it slow but then he plays something different when he's playing with the band.

Yeah that makes sense. Once I started speeding up it became easier because my hand was moving faster by necessity. Now I can slow it down tempo wise and still get the same sound. Thanks!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

As someone who spent a lot of time learning how to slap, double thumb, learn Victor Wooten solos and Marcus Miller solos, etc:

Please don't slap. Learning it is a waste of time.

I play for fun so as long as it's fun, it's not a waste of time! :)
(plus my band digs it and wants me to get better at it)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

You want to learn something hard and USEFUL? Get an upright.

One of these days... :(

Scarf fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 23, 2011

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Sometimes I feel like the only electric bassist alive who has no real taste/admiration for Jaco...

edit: I don't deny his talent and all, I just never really got into any of his stuff, and really dislike his tone.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

As someone who spent a lot of time learning how to slap, double thumb, learn Victor Wooten solos and Marcus Miller solos, etc:

Please don't slap. Learning it is a waste of time.

What, seriously? You're telling the guy to cut out half a repertiore. Not that you should play slap all of the time, but it's hardly a waste of time. Being able to transition back and forth from solid fingering to slapping is a great skill.

Scarf, I'm not a huge Jaco fan either, but if you don't like his tone then you must not like Flea's either? He basically stole it from Jaco I think.

manic mike
Oct 8, 2003

no bond too surly
Flea and Jaco? Really? I would have never made that connection

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Scarf posted:

Sometimes I feel like the only electric bassist alive who has no real taste/admiration for Jaco...

edit: I don't deny his talent and all, I just never really got into any of his stuff, and really dislike his tone.
I feel the same way. Especially when people say something like:

manic mike posted:

Edit: Also, Jaco already showed us everything the electric bass can do. Anything else is just a gimmick.

And Flea stealing Jaco's tone? His Modulus/Stingray tone was a little similar, but anybody would sound like that playing fingerstyle over a bridge pickup. And since he changes his setup almost every album he's spent very little time sounding like that over his career.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Vino posted:

What, seriously? You're telling the guy to cut out half a repertiore. Not that you should play slap all of the time, but it's hardly a waste of time. Being able to transition back and forth from solid fingering to slapping is a great skill.

Scarf, I'm not a huge Jaco fan either, but if you don't like his tone then you must not like Flea's either? He basically stole it from Jaco I think.

Nope. Flea has a great sense of rhythm, but I've never been the biggest RHCP fan either aside from BSSM (couldn't really escape it since it came out when I was in middle/high school).

I really don't see what the draw is to the solo'd bridge pickup tone. It's like bite without the balls... Just makes the whole bass sound castrated to me.

I'm pretty much a P-bass-tone guy through and through:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3SvyCSt9H0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAJtmDQBvF8

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Vino posted:

Yes, seriously. It's only half of a repertoire of a really bad bass player no one wants to listen to, or guys only bass players give a poo poo about. It's a waste of time.

I'm not trying to be a traditionalist stick in the mud or anything, just trying to give practical advice. Being able to slap will not get you gigs, sessions, admiration, auditions, or anything other than personal satisfaction. If that's what you want, great. Knock yourself out. Just realize that you'll probably regret putting a ton of time into perfecting your double-thumb technique when the guy that spent that time working on his sight-reading and time gets all your gigs.

Solo bridge pickup tone owns as long as you're using it in the right kind of music. If I'm playing in a fusion band, or metal stuff, or anything that needs fast note definition, then a P-bass is going to be a little "fluffy."

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Yes, seriously. It's only half of a repertoire of a really bad bass player no one wants to listen to, or guys only bass players give a poo poo about. It's a waste of time.

This. I've been playing for 5 or 6 years, and 3 years ago I pretty much stopped slapping. Its the equivalent of a rapper, who only raps about money, ho's and guns. It's been done to death for years now, and EVERYONE has heard it. The novelty wears off pretty quick, and eventually you will get tired of the thuggish rapper, and move on to someone with better lyrics and tighter beats.

When I first started I thought Les Claypool was the best bassist ever, now I respect Jeff Berlin and Jaco alot more.. But slapping is pretty drat fun.

edit: also a big Flea fan.

Constipated fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 24, 2011

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I'm looking for a 5-string.

Budget maxes around 600. Eyeballing mainly:

Ibanez SR405QM
ESP LTD D-5
Ibanez SR605

But open to other options. I'm not sure on the tone I'm looking for; but I do know I want a 5 string at some point. I currently play an Ibanez SRA300 and its pretty alright.

Any suggestions of other items to look at?

edit: I'd like something that I can get a more "mellow" tone if that makes sense. The SRA300 has tons of punch as it is.

edit again: Maybe the Fender Standard Jazz Bass. It's looking like its 700, but I could probably swing it.

Walked fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 24, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

A five-string Jazz Bass is always a safe bet. Tons of room for upgrades down the road, too.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

A five-string Jazz Bass is always a safe bet. Tons of room for upgrades down the road, too.

What I am curious is whether I could get away with the Squier 5-string jazz.. less than half the fender. I'm not terribly great; but do some jamming with friends.

Though I doubt I'd notice the difference. Unfortunately, I can only seem to locate the squier locally, so I cant try the fender out.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Buying used will open more options to you. Coughcough-Lakland 55-01-coughcough

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

That Squier Deluxe Active 5 gets a ton of love. I've played one once and the fret ends were awful, but that's more the fault of Wisconsin being so goddamn dry in the winter and it's easy to fix. Tone was definitely there, and it played great.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
SR405QM or SR605 will be a shitload lighter/thinner than a fender or lakland 5 - Think of your back!

(one day I'll get my endorsement deal and until then I'm gonna keep practicing ;)

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
That's a good point DrChu, the BSSM sound is the most memorable in my head as far as bass tone goes since later albums have so much more compression and layering by the guitarist.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Just realize that you'll probably regret putting a ton of time into perfecting your double-thumb technique when the guy that spent that time working on his sight-reading and time gets all your gigs.

Granted, spending time learning anything at the expense of theory is a bad idea to me. For a beginner to music in general this is probably good advice. But if you already have good theory then I'd not shy away from learning new techniques.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ackbarf posted:

SR405QM or SR605 will be a shitload lighter/thinner than a fender or lakland 5 - Think of your back!

(one day I'll get my endorsement deal and until then I'm gonna keep practicing ;)

How do you figure? The 405 is Mahogany and the 605 is Ash (same as the Fender/Lakland). Neither is really considered the lightest of woods. Average for both newer Fenders and Laklands is less than 10lbs. and in a lot of cases, less than 9.5lbs. Which is pretty standard across the industry.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

Scarf posted:

One of these days... :(
DO IT. Sell a couple of Laklands and buy a double bass and a bow. Best music-related decision I ever made.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MolluskGoneBad posted:

DO IT. Sell a couple of Laklands and buy a double bass and a bow. Best music-related decision I ever made.

Yeah, but at the moment I only have 2. And only selling one would get me about 1/3 of the way to affording the upright I'd like to have. The hollowbody lakland is too drat cool, and the 44-02 is too drat versatile.

Maybe I can sell various bodily fluids...

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I missed out on a nice upright a while ago too. Couldn't make up my mind about 3/4 vs full size. The instrument as a whole has always felt too short for me as a 3/4, whereas the interval distances seem okay compared to an electric. Only ever played a full size once and can't remember whether the fingering was that much more of a reach. Is there a big difference?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scarf posted:

Yeah, but at the moment I only have 2. And only selling one would get me about 1/3 of the way to affording the upright I'd like to have. The hollowbody lakland is too drat cool, and the 44-02 is too drat versatile.

Maybe I can sell various bodily fluids...

You can make about $70 a month selling plasma. So two years from now...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Underflow posted:

I missed out on a nice upright a while ago too. Couldn't make up my mind about 3/4 vs full size. The instrument as a whole has always felt too short for me as a 3/4, whereas the interval distances seem okay compared to an electric. Only ever played a full size once and can't remember whether the fingering was that much more of a reach. Is there a big difference?

Well there's also 7/8s as well. I don't think I've EVER seen anyone playing a fullsize double-bass outside of a symphony orchestra. They're loving HUGE.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm 6'1" and I played a 3/4 in college. It seemed to be about just right.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

No one ever plays a full-size upright. Buy a 3/4 size.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Scarf posted:

Well there's also 7/8s as well. I don't think I've EVER seen anyone playing a fullsize double-bass outside of a symphony orchestra. They're loving HUGE.

Seventh Arrow posted:

I'm 6'1" and I played a 3/4 in college. It seemed to be about just right.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

No one ever plays a full-size upright. Buy a 3/4 size.

OK, thanks for that. 3/4 it is then.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Scarf posted:

How do you figure? The 405 is Mahogany and the 605 is Ash (same as the Fender/Lakland). Neither is really considered the lightest of woods. Average for both newer Fenders and Laklands is less than 10lbs. and in a lot of cases, less than 9.5lbs. Which is pretty standard across the industry.

Well the P/J style bases have a very large and thick body on them vs the SR, and much meatier necks. Although I am aware the J neck is a bit thinner, the SR neck is roughly equivalent to a guitar neck albeit less wide across the fret board - so though you're talking heavier woods, there's a lot less of them. I've played many a 34" scale and none of them have been as light as my mahogany SR, other than the Thumb 4 which, body-wise, is honestly about 3/4 of the size of a J.

Most of the Laklands I've seen are pretty much on par with Fenders for size/thickness, which is why I suggested that the SR would be lighter. I'd be curious to look at actual strung weights and be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

Edit: I am also aware what effect the lack of wood is going to have on sustain, so obviously it's not ideal for everybody.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Walked posted:

So I'm looking for a 5-string.

Budget maxes around 600. Eyeballing mainly:

Ibanez SR405QM
ESP LTD D-5
Ibanez SR605

But open to other options. I'm not sure on the tone I'm looking for; but I do know I want a 5 string at some point. I currently play an Ibanez SRA300 and its pretty alright.

Any suggestions of other items to look at?

edit: I'd like something that I can get a more "mellow" tone if that makes sense. The SRA300 has tons of punch as it is.

edit again: Maybe the Fender Standard Jazz Bass. It's looking like its 700, but I could probably swing it.

So after some soul searching; and dicking around at the store a whole lot. I ended up deciding what I wanted.

Ended up with a Sterling Music Man Ray35 and a Big Muff PI pedal. I can get pretty much the tone I want with these guys (and a ton others) and god drat the bass spoke to me.

Hooray?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Walked posted:

So after some soul searching; and dicking around at the store a whole lot. I ended up deciding what I wanted.

Ended up with a Sterling Music Man Ray35 and a Big Muff PI pedal. I can get pretty much the tone I want with these guys (and a ton others) and god drat the bass spoke to me.

Hooray?

Coolness! But unless there are pics, you are making it all up!

Much better choice than the 5 string Fender Jazz - those fretboards are huge! (and this is coming from an occasional six string bassist!)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Schatten posted:

Coolness! But unless there are pics, you are making it all up!

Much better choice than the 5 string Fender Jazz - those fretboards are huge! (and this is coming from an occasional six string bassist!)

There will be pictures once I get it back from being setup.

I am very excited!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Currently playing an Ibanez SR300 and enjoying it, but I'm in the market to treat myself for my birthday and I was considering one of the top-end new BC Rich Warlocks - purely from a technical standpoint are they worth the premium?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Southern Heel posted:

Currently playing an Ibanez SR300 and enjoying it, but I'm in the market to treat myself for my birthday and I was considering one of the top-end new BC Rich Warlocks - purely from a technical standpoint are they worth the premium?
Like this one? http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-C--Rich-Warlock-NJ-Deluxe-4-String-Bass-584467-i1503566.gc

Do you play metal? This limits your playing to... metal if you plan on playing with a band of any kind. There are older used warlocks you can pick up for cheap dollars - the real stuff made back in the 80's.

There's one like I just linked to on GC's used section for 139.99, another for 299.99. Add in about 15-20 bucks for shipping and any applicable tax - quite a cheap bass even to toy around with at home. There's also a five string used for 349.99. If you want to go this route, go used. GC's used stuff, even if shipped to you, has a 30 day money back guarantee.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I get an item-out-of-stock error when I look at that page, but I gather from the text we're talking about the same thing: http://www.bcrich.com/bass_nj_dlx_warlock.asp

When you say 'you can only play metal', do you mean the sound is harsh? I'm not so fussed on what people think about the way it looks - I think it looks pretty neat and that's the whole point, isn't it? Does the hardware command the premium, or is it more about looks and status than quality?

This is somewhat related because it's puzzling me - this song has a retardedly simple bassline, but I'm not sure how it's being achieved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ThppM3IhA

The fast sections are G, G# repeated and then a couple of C's and back to the start. Right now I'm fretting with my index rolled across the G and C, then fretting the G# at the same time I'm hitting the string to get it fast enough. Is that about right?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Jesus, is Kittie still around?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Southern Heel posted:

I get an item-out-of-stock error when I look at that page, but I gather from the text we're talking about the same thing: http://www.bcrich.com/bass_nj_dlx_warlock.asp

When you say 'you can only play metal', do you mean the sound is harsh? I'm not so fussed on what people think about the way it looks - I think it looks pretty neat and that's the whole point, isn't it? Does the hardware command the premium, or is it more about looks and status than quality?

Search the used section of GC's website for warlock. You'll see the prices i'm referring to.

Metal - or 80's coverband rock, that would be the limitations because of the style of the bass in appearance only. No idea how they sound, but my guess would be better wood, construction and electronics. No idea! Don't take my word for it!

Schatten fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 25, 2011

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
For basses equipped with EMGs (at least for most of the pickup models), it really doesn't matter what tone wood is used in the basses construction because you're not going to hear any of the nuances of it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsuiVj3B9E0

Ed Friedland reviews the new Epiphone Zenith bass. As a big acoustic/hollowbody fan, it's nice to see something like this hitting the market.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Scarf posted:

Ed Friedland reviews the new Epiphone Zenith bass. As a big acoustic/hollowbody fan, it's nice to see something like this hitting the market.

Don't like the design, but it's the first time I hear a decent sound from a piezo. Actually prefer it over the regular pick-up's sound in that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
What's the cheapest envelope filter I can buy that doesn't sound like a fart in a paper bag?