Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm guessing kidnapping was pretty common in imperial china given how nonchalant Mao is about it. In that chinagame we all used to play before one of the activities was just kidnapping people and selling them for currency so I guess it holds up

A lot of it is that it'd be really hard to prosecute. There's no family to push for justice, only the victim themselves, who is claiming that they were not legally sold. And that's not enough to make most magistrates torture for a confession...and without a confession, no conviction, under Imperial law for most of the Empire's duration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syritta
Jun 28, 2012
The ability to get cocoa kind of implies it's pretty late... but it doesn't actually look like the Qing or anything, and the place names are all made up as far as I know, so they're probably not going for detailed historical fidelity.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I think it's supposed to be a fictional not-China. But the clothing style looks pretty Tang dynasty to me.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Syritta posted:

The ability to get cocoa kind of implies it's pretty late... but it doesn't actually look like the Qing or anything, and the place names are all made up as far as I know, so they're probably not going for detailed historical fidelity.

golden bubble posted:

I think it's supposed to be a fictional not-China. But the clothing style looks pretty Tang dynasty to me.

I agree. I think it's supposed to evoke a particular historical, or semihistorical, feeling rather than actually take place in a particular era of history. I definitely don't mind that approach though and think that it can help serve as the foundation a bunch of different stories, including ones with more fantastic elements. It can also be a bit less jarring than something that injects fantasy into a setting that is supposed to be historical.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thought about Thorfinn feeling hollow and like he's never grown and then meeting Canute and saying he has no enemies. Then remembered the ending of the latest chapter. Feels great, felling good right now.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Part of me wants to see him murder Floki, but at the same time it'd be nice to see him overcome this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
He's gonna cruch hug him whille yelling "Stop trying to be my enemy goddamn it!"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

He's probably just going to end up holding back.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rodyle posted:

He's probably just going to end up holding back.

I hope Thorfinn lets the anger go but hten Floki falls into a bin and suffocates and poops himself

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think the most likely resolution here has to be garm swoocing right in at the last moment and ganking floki before thorfinn can

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

i think the most likely resolution here has to be garm swoocing right in at the last moment and ganking floki before thorfinn can

I think Garm will kill Floki yeah but I think after Thorfinn chooses not to. Yukimura has really been pushing Thorfinn's emotional growth and "first resort" philosophy so it'd be lame if the reason he didn't kill someone now is because he was physically prevented as opposed to choosing not to. I think the real quandary will be how he escapes Garm without fighting again

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I read the first chapter of this manga about this dude from Greece who apparently travels to and from 1960s Japan and will compete in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. I think only that one chapter is translated, but the premise is kinda neat. Forget the name, though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Tbh I completely forgot Garm was a character

What a weird, boring black spot on an otherwise consistently top tier series

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Garm is strange because he owns as a character but he doesn't feel that needed. The Jomsvikings coronation battle seems like it's doing the whole "will Thorfinn be drawn back in to killing?" stuff fairly well entirely without him. Even things like kidnapping Thorfinn's crew could have been done other ways. He would have ruled pre-Farmland but it's hard to see how he places now. I have faith that Yukimura will do something amazing with it though.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

I think Garm will kill Floki yeah but I think after Thorfinn chooses not to. Yukimura has really been pushing Thorfinn's emotional growth and "first resort" philosophy so it'd be lame if the reason he didn't kill someone now is because he was physically prevented as opposed to choosing not to. I think the real quandary will be how he escapes Garm without fighting again

i don't think it would be lame at all, because the themes of vinland saga have revolved more around redemption than perfection. thorfinn has internalized his struggle as being on the precipice, where one more mistake would send him over the edge into permanent evil or despair, but that's not really an accurate or healthy view of morality. it'll still be possible for thorfinn to better himself as a person, even if he makes the wrong choice here.

sigurd is going through a very similar situation at the moment, where he's got nothing but momentum on his side, but he still assumes that following that momentum is the only way to stability. to turn away from his goal of kidnapping gudrid would upend his world, certainly, but he's dead wrong in his belief that it would be an impossible choice to recover from.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

a bunch of new grashros chapters were introduced and now there's insane poo poo like cavemen rapping

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

EmmyOk posted:

Garm is strange because he owns as a character but he doesn't feel that needed. The Jomsvikings coronation battle seems like it's doing the whole "will Thorfinn be drawn back in to killing?" stuff fairly well entirely without him. Even things like kidnapping Thorfinn's crew could have been done other ways. He would have ruled pre-Farmland but it's hard to see how he places now. I have faith that Yukimura will do something amazing with it though.

Garm is a shadow of what thorfinn was, and what the entire Viking world still is. Insanely violent for no good reason. Obviously you still have Floki, but maybe they’re trying to set Floki up as an extremely weak man.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Garm is very different to even Thorfinn at his most murderous, Garm is much more similar to Thorkell. He loves the Viking life whereas for Thorfinn it was just something he became immersed in and consumed by but he never loved killing and fighting like those two do. I honestly have no idea if Thorfinn fights Garm or somehow convinces him of the futility of this life but the latter seems like an insurmountable challenge as hard as convincing Thorkell fighting is bad.

Venuz Patrol posted:

i don't think it would be lame at all, because the themes of vinland saga have revolved more around redemption than perfection. thorfinn has internalized his struggle as being on the precipice, where one more mistake would send him over the edge into permanent evil or despair, but that's not really an accurate or healthy view of morality. it'll still be possible for thorfinn to better himself as a person, even if he makes the wrong choice here.

I agree with you generally about morality in reality but I think Yukimura has been building up this moment in specific to challenge Thorfinn's idea about the first resort and I don't think he's doing that so Thorfinn will fail it or simply lose the opportunity to fail it. Up until now he's been able to run but I think Yukimura has been crafting a scenario patiently where Thorfinn has to resolve something without fighting/killing or fleeing. Killing or trying to kill Floki here imo would really make it all feel like a waste imo. I just have a totally different read of what the manga has been going for up until now I guess.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I agree with Emmy. This feels like a moment where Thorfinn gets truly tested.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's kind of a perfect test because Hild is standing right there. The reason Thorfinn wants to kill Floki is that Floki killed his father, which is exactly the same reason Hild wants to kill Thorfinn. She would be completely justified in killing him if he breaks down and kills Floki right here.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It's pretty clearly set up that she'll kill him if he fails himself. I can't see him going through with it here, but some sort of conflict with Hild looks like it'll be unavoidable.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

sasuga thorfinn https://mangadex.org/chapter/266175/1

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Great chapter!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
jomsvikings really gotta start watching their fingers around thorfinn

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Holy crap :aaaaa:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Venuz Patrol posted:

jomsvikings really gotta start watching their fingers around thorfinn

A Farewell to Arms Fingers by Yukimuranest Makotoway.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The Claymore manga thread actually being named "A Farewell to Arms" is still one of my favorite thread titles.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tremendous stuff, I really liked Baldr in this chapter quite a lot. Super jazzed about Thorfinn managing to totally reject vengeance in the end and snapping the sword is a hell of a "I don't have any enemies" statement. Still very paranoid about Garm slithering around the camp.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
2 new chapters of Historie:
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Historie/Vol--011-Ch-103---Seat-of-the-Soul--006-?id=417245

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I sigh and draw my... kitchen knife.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Oh thank god, Historie is finally about Eumenes again. This owns.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The Claymore manga thread actually being named "A Farewell to Arms" is still one of my favorite thread titles.

Lol yep

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Nice! Missed that this had updated. Always glad to this update! Thank you for sharing.

Issak (https://mangadex.org/chapter/271423/1) updated as well. I think the concept definitely is cool and really like the choice of setting, but the second issue, like the first, didn't really hook me. The anachronism is also surprisingly distracting to me as well, though the first was probably worse for that. In any event, I'll probably drop it but I'm sure some others would still be into it. And the art is still crisp, clear and detailed.

That said, my list of history comics (of all sorts) keeps growing with The Battle(surprisingly cheap on Comixology), Hyouge Mono, and My Name is Nero, which is by the same author that wrote Alexandros, all getting making their way on. Also re-added Vinland Saga! (And Kusuriya no Hitorigoto, though that's probably more of a pseudo-history/low fantasy?)

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I’m enjoying Issak, too, but it definitely has its flaws. The characterisation of Issak (obsession with honour, avenging his master etc) is pretty inaccurate, too. There’s a really good article about how the myth of bushido was formed (PR to make Japan seem more compliant with Christian/western ideals, which was then adopted as “the truth” by the jingositic government) and it’s consequences (fascism!) here: https://www.tofugu.com/japan/bushido/

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 2, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Honor and Loyalty are not sentiments invented whole cloth by revisionist proto-fascists, they are virtues present in almost all cultures through all time and like all virtues are not universally followed or adhered to, serving as cultural ideals and instructive examples that are strived for. Some of the most dramatic moments of the sengoku were decided by actors who were torn between several cultural loyalties at the same time, the clans obligations vs your family for instance.

Suggesting a character is anachronistic because they are defined by obligation and loyalty, exceptionally human driving forces, is hella lol.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The settling of bushido as a semi-revisionist state ideology is more a political matter relating to an increasingly militarized stance than an entirely new cultural invention.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He probably isn't even a Samurai since he's a blacksmith's apprentice

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Sharkopath posted:

Honor and Loyalty are not sentiments invented whole cloth by revisionist proto-fascists, they are virtues present in almost all cultures through all time and like all virtues are not universally followed or adhered to, serving as cultural ideals and instructive examples that are strived for. Some of the most dramatic moments of the sengoku were decided by actors who were torn between several cultural loyalties at the same time, the clans obligations vs your family for instance.

Suggesting a character is anachronistic because they are defined by obligation and loyalty, exceptionally human driving forces, is hella lol.

I think that dude is not denying that these concepts were part of Japanese culture, but more that there’s a mythologised/idealised mix of traits that are definitely revisionism, along with more indisputable stuff like the archery/swords thing. I’m definitely not well-read enough to say whether his motive (revenge) and his statements about it (ideas about debt/vengeance/honour) are accurate representations of 17th century Japanese attitudes, but he does feel kind of tropey. One-dimensional? A kind of boring embodiment of loyalty? And some of the other characters not understanding his motive is really jarring to me. A blood debt is just not that complicated or unique a concept. That said, I guess the merc captain not getting it might be more a characterisation of him not understanding loyalty, which is reasonable for a merc.

I’m definitely enjoying it, though. And we’re like two chapters in, so maybe he’ll get some character development that takes him beyond being Inigo Montoya the blacksmith.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 4, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Issak is nice because after reading so much Golden Kamuy it's good to have a heavily photo-referenced comic where characters look like they belong to the world around them, and the backgrounds are legible and add to the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

cool manga about a peasant joining the shinsengumi

https://mangadex.org/manga/20715/ichigeki/chapters/