Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I just finished Coalescent(s?) and I'm about to start Exultant(s?). Am I reading stuff out of order, or did he just jump 20,000 years into the future out of nowhere after setting up the eusocial human potential so that it can be picked up later for some reason? Or are they just loosely related stories in the same universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

orange sky posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea that book 5 was out already.

At least Ty Francke didn't learn his writing speed from GRRM :laugh:

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

I just finished Coalescent(s?) and I'm about to start Exultant(s?). Am I reading stuff out of order, or did he just jump 20,000 years into the future out of nowhere after setting up the eusocial human potential so that it can be picked up later for some reason? Or are they just loosely related stories in the same universe?

Remember the center of our galaxy is some 20k-ish Ly away. It's always now, somewhere.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Guys? Do me a favor. If I ever attempt to buy another Peter F. Hamilton novel, take my Kindle, break it over my head and shove the pieces up my rear end.

I read Pandora's Star and bought Judas Unchained and The Void Trilogy based on that. It appears that they are actually all the same book with minor changes in characters and places.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Guys? Do me a favor. If I ever attempt to buy another Peter F. Hamilton novel, take my Kindle, break it over my head and shove the pieces up my rear end.

I read Pandora's Star and bought Judas Unchained and The Void Trilogy based on that. It appears that they are actually all the same book with minor changes in characters and places.

And sex. Weird sex. Uncomfortable, vaguely illegal sex.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

tribbledirigible posted:

And sex. Weird sex. Uncomfortable, vaguely illegal sex.

And enzyme-bonded concrete.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Great North Road is still his PFH's best and (nearly) most recent. No uncomfortable sex with youngins, is a pretty long book, and leaves you wanting more. (But not in the Jared Fogle way). It's almost like he's a better writer as he goes along... Even his most recent (Faller Chronicles) he talks about how sex with young women is uncomfortable, :lol:!

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Baloogan posted:

start with chasm city

Start with Prefect since it's the first, chronologically. Or do you guys think it's better to read it with the knowledge that everything goes to poo poo?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
poo poo, right, before reading LOTR gotta read the entire silmarillion

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Before reading Pride and Prejudice you definitely should read Herodotus: The Histories because it really sets up the backstory for the civilisation in the story

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Before reading Pride and Prejudice you definitely should read Herodotus: The Histories because it really sets up the backstory for the civilisation in the story

Probably best to read the entire canon of western literature in case something turns out to be important. No translations, you have to read it in the original or you might miss something.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Biomute posted:

I'm trying to read Revelation Space for the fourth time. I've only ever managed about 100 pages. The universe is drab and boring, there are too many characters, none of which are likable. Derelict space ships and desert planets? So original. Words words words, jump-cut to some other character every 4 pages. Why should I care about any of this?

It's fine if you don't but I'd stop trying to read space operas if you don't like them.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

pile of brown posted:

It's fine if you don't but I'd stop trying to read space operas if you don't like them.

There's a bunch of really good space opera out there. I don't see why this one gets so much love. It does an awful job introducing characters and pulling you in.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Biomute posted:

There's a bunch of really good space opera out there. I don't see why this one gets so much love. It does an awful job introducing characters and pulling you in.

What have you liked better?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Biomute posted:

If you think Revelation Space is doing an awful job at introducing characters and pulling you in now, wait until you get to the last hundred pages of purestrain exposition because Alistair Reynolds decided to push the telling the story part of the story until the very end.

Incidentally, I'm reading Chasm City (about a hundred pages in) and really enjoying it so far. It feels more natural so maybe he learned about pacing after Revelation Space or maybe the smaller scale(?) helped.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the huge data dump at the end of revelation space really kills the ending's pacing. It was all stuff I'd have liked to know during the story...

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

RVProfootballer posted:

What have you liked better?

Better introductory/first in a series/stand-alone space opera novels?

The Warrior's Apprentice
Old Man's War
Dune
A Fire Upon the Deep

Hell, even On Basilisk Station and Heir to the Empire.

Leviathan Wakes and Consider Phlebas have some of the same problems, but they do manage to keep your interest until the good bits.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Tanith posted:

Start with Prefect since it's the first, chronologically. Or do you guys think it's better to read it with the knowledge that everything goes to poo poo?

Prefect
Chasm City
Trilogy proper
Galactic North

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Well poo poo. Joel Shepherd (of Cassandra Kresnov fame) released his first book in a new milsf/space opera series, Renegade, earlier this month on Kindle/Kindle Unlimited. And I didn't even know. Looks like he'll be trying something new this time: writing with a male protagonist.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Mars4523 posted:

Well poo poo. Joel Shepherd (of Cassandra Kresnov fame) released his first book in a new milsf/space opera series, Renegade, earlier this month on Kindle/Kindle Unlimited. And I didn't even know. Looks like he'll be trying something new this time: writing with a male protagonist.

Awesome!!!! Will definitely have to check that out. I really like the CK novels, pulp as hell, but really entertaining.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

thetechnoloser posted:

Awesome!!!! Will definitely have to check that out. I really like the CK novels, pulp as hell, but really entertaining.
I'm roughly 76% of the way through and enjoying it. It certainly starts out slow, and there are some pretty questionably written pieces of exposition. After the first fifth of the book however it picks up a lot. The core characters are interesting, and it's pretty nice to see a setting where Humanity is not white (and both protagonists are fairly dark skinned).

Also, looking from the perspective of everyone else in the galaxy, humanity are the bad guys. They are the genocidal warrior race fighting alongside a bunch of brutal imperialists (and whatever the Alo are).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just read Expanse #2, Caliban's War, and its fantastic. Everything I want from a space opera is right there.

onto expanse #3, I've heard it isn't the best but so far this series has been pretty much perfect so I'm okay with not all the books being perfect.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also has anyone ever thought about milsf milfs?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Baloogan posted:

Just read Expanse #2, Caliban's War, and its fantastic. Everything I want from a space opera is right there.

onto expanse #3, I've heard it isn't the best but so far this series has been pretty much perfect so I'm okay with not all the books being perfect.

There isn't enough Avasarala in the later books.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Baloogan posted:

When reading Books #3 and #4 just know book #5 is just as good as #2.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Baloogan posted:

There aren't many. Most female milsif protagonists are presented as nubile but unattached. Honor Harrington, as much as I hate her Mary Sue-ishness, at least has hung around long enough to get married (though the less said about THAT arrangement, the better) and have kids. Indeed, the original plan, according to Weber, had been for Honor to die in "At All Costs" and then time-skip forward and have her kids be the protagonists going forward against the Mesans. Instead Weber chickened out, so now Honor does everything. :rolleyes:

Keeping with Weber, in his collaboration with Steve White over in the Starfire novels, there's Vanessa Murakama, one of the stars of "In Death Ground" and "The Shiva Option" who has two adult daughters who are old enough to be in the Space Navy. Of course, Murakama has benefited from anti-aging treatments and thus still looks like a smoking hot twenty-something. Because it's apparently illegal to have a female milsf protagonist who isn't sexually attractive, even if she's an an admiral. :cripes:

I'm (mostly) sure there are others, but none are leaping to mind off the top of my head.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Cordelia from the Vorkosigan Saga?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Yeah, she's presented as very nurturing, but the author makes a point of her liberal upbringing, education and resulting sexual mores. She gets pretty sultry in the later books. Likewise, Honor Harringtons mother is pretty much the same character.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

gohmak posted:

When reading Books #3 and #4 just know book #5 is just as good as #2.

Just finished #5 and drat this is true. #3 and #4 are good stories, but not with the page-turning suspense that #5 brought back.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, #5 (Nemesis Games) really answered a lot of my criticism about the series. Hard changes to the status quo, development for the boring crew, high stakes. I loved it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I struggled through 3 (seriously, gently caress that Mao sister), guess I just gotta do the same with 4 before I can get back to the good stuff.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Hedrigall posted:

I struggled through 3 (seriously, gently caress that Mao sister), guess I just gotta do the same with 4 before I can get back to the good stuff.

4 is pretty :effort: but it's worth getting through. It has...uh, not that much to contribute to the overall arc, but there are a couple points of plot development that matter to the protomolecule/alien story.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

pork never goes bad posted:

I don't get this - sure, the 3rd isn't as good as the rest, but even the bad books in the Expanse are better than much of what's discussed in this thread (and better than a lot of what I read!)

Any similar books or series? Trying to expand out my space opera with Culture and Expanse under my belt. Goodreads is loving useless for this.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Webbeh posted:

Any similar books or series? Trying to expand out my space opera with Culture and Expanse under my belt. Goodreads is loving useless for this.

Read Revelation Space? Classics like Dune and Foundation.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 3, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mister Kingdom posted:

And enzyme-bonded concrete.
Still terribly, terribly energy-inefficient. :science:

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

jng2058 posted:

I'm (mostly) sure there are others, but none are leaping to mind off the top of my head.

Elizabeth Moon's Familias Regnant series?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Baloogan posted:

Old Man's War starts with a bunch of OAPs being given new, young bodies and basically loving for days while they get their new hormones sorted out. They're also green?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Old Man's War: milsf gilfs

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Tanith posted:

There isn't enough Avasarala in the later books.

I'm probably going to get some hate for this but I don't get the massive space boners people seem to have for her. Her whole "bad rear end grandma who swears a lot" got really old fast.

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah, book 3 is definitely the worst of the series. It took me awhile to get into 4 but overall it was a big improvement over 3. And it did have some pretty cool parts. The chapters from the POV of the consciousnesses that were trapped inside the ring constantly sending out messages and receiving no response were creepy as gently caress. Book 5 was a return to book 1 and 2 levels of awesomeness.

They better not gently caress up the TV adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Webbeh posted:

Maybe give Pohl's Heechee saga a go. I was surprised at how modern it was, despite starting in the 1970s. Gateway is easily the best written, but the following books are also pretty fun.

From the secnd book onwards, it kind of reminds me of Banks' work, actually.

johnsonrod posted:

I'm probably going to get some hate for this but I don't get the massive space boners people seem to have for her. Her whole "bad rear end grandma who swears a lot" got really old fast.

This is entirely true.

• Locked thread