Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

sbaldrick posted:

The source also seems to charge 20 dollars more,

Good to see the name change/buyout/whatever hasn't changed that particular radio shack tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The only reason to go to the source is to look at it if you have never seen a ereader in life. As even now I get asked about mine in public

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Radio Shack pretty much only exists to sell stuff to people who need something right now and Radio Shack is the only place you can get to in time, and to sell stuff to old people who don't know any better.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

torgeaux posted:

yes, it has multiplayer

It looks like the official scrabble version is just pass and play according to Google. Is there an unofficial app out there that allows Words With Friends / Wordfeud style games? If so, link please.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
My girlfriend recently got a kindle and wants to know how to get music from the newest iTunes onto the kindle itself. I've looked for her on how to do it, but the newest iTunes apparently screwed up a lot of these different ways on how to get music on there. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get some songs on a kindle with iTunes 10?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Dr. Capco posted:

My girlfriend recently got a kindle and wants to know how to get music from the newest iTunes onto the kindle itself. I've looked for her on how to do it, but the newest iTunes apparently screwed up a lot of these different ways on how to get music on there. Anybody have any suggestions on how to get some songs on a kindle with iTunes 10?

Find her iTunes music folder and copy the tracks into the music folder on the kindle once you've plugged the Kindle in by usb.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Gay Bean posted:

It looks like the official scrabble version is just pass and play according to Google. Is there an unofficial app out there that allows Words With Friends / Wordfeud style games? If so, link please.

All Kindle games are local multiplayer only, if they have multiplayer, they can't use the wifi or 3G to connect to the internet.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

The Gay Bean posted:

Yeah, as sporadic said. Sorry, I didn't know you meant each holding own device. It's pass and play.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just put an online order in for a Kobo Touch since apparently all the black ones are sold out in Chapters stores. Anyone have any idea what they use for shipping since Canada Post is kind of locked out right now?

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just picked up a Nook Simple touch today and I've been thrilled with it so far, except for one issue. I'm noticing quite a bit of image retention between page turns. If I go to a book from the screensaver I can still see the lines from the image behind the text, and when I turn the page there's a faint after-image from the previous text.

Is this something common to all e-readers, or should I take it back for a replacement?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

a handful of dust posted:

Just picked up a Nook Simple touch today and I've been thrilled with it so far, except for one issue. I'm noticing quite a bit of image retention between page turns. If I go to a book from the screensaver I can still see the lines from the image behind the text, and when I turn the page there's a faint after-image from the previous text.

Is this something common to all e-readers, or should I take it back for a replacement?
This shouldn't be happening, I'd get a replacement.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Quantify! posted:

This shouldn't be happening, I'd get a replacement.

Stopped by B&N and they exchanged it no questions asked, didn't even need to verify the problem. New one doesn't seem to be doing it.

I know people usually talk about Amazon having better customer service, but B&N has been really cool in my experience. It's nice having a brick and mortar store you can walk into for an exchange.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
The one annoying thing about my Nook is if you're in the middle of a book and you connect it to your computer, the sync process makes you lose your place in the book and puts you back at the cover. It doesn't seem to do this if you actually exit the book you're reading before syncing, but it can be annoying if you forget.

Finding your place again is a real breeze, though. Just tap "go to page" and you get a nice little scroll bar! It's just like actually flipping through a book to find that passage you remember.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

a handful of dust posted:

Stopped by B&N and they exchanged it no questions asked, didn't even need to verify the problem. New one doesn't seem to be doing it.

I know people usually talk about Amazon having better customer service, but B&N has been really cool in my experience. It's nice having a brick and mortar store you can walk into for an exchange.

Nice if you have one closer than 5 hours away. :(

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Quantify! posted:

The one annoying thing about my Nook is if you're in the middle of a book and you connect it to your computer, the sync process makes you lose your place in the book and puts you back at the cover. It doesn't seem to do this if you actually exit the book you're reading before syncing, but it can be annoying if you forget.

Finding your place again is a real breeze, though. Just tap "go to page" and you get a nice little scroll bar! It's just like actually flipping through a book to find that passage you remember.

Can't say I've ever had this problem on my original Nook.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Consumer Reports ranks a Nook higher than a Kindle for the first time in their ebook reader ratings.

I'd been really considering a Kindle, but I'm going to look into a Nook more now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What's with them copying the color scheme of the Kindle? First Kindle is white so the Nook is white. The Kindle comes out in black and now the Nook is black. I hope Amazon comes out with a purple Kindle just to see if the Nook will follow that.

I've been watching video reviews of the new Nook and I think the UI looks great. Typing and highlighting looks like a breeze. The only change I would like is if the Home screen wasn't dominated so much with the ebook store, it's like half the screen.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

Mu Zeta posted:

What's with them copying the color scheme of the Kindle? First Kindle is white so the Nook is white. The Kindle comes out in black and now the Nook is black. I hope Amazon comes out with a purple Kindle just to see if the Nook will follow that.

I've been watching video reviews of the new Nook and I think the UI looks great. Typing and highlighting looks like a breeze. The only change I would like is if the Home screen wasn't dominated so much with the ebook store, it's like half the screen.

Charcoal makes for easier reading. All the professional design programs (Adobe master collection, Maxon cinema 4d, Autodesk maya, final cut pro, etc) all have switched over to kindle-grey interfaces within the past few versions, as has a lot of render farm management software and other pro-sector stuff.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Juanito posted:

Consumer Reports ranks a Nook higher than a Kindle for the first time in their ebook reader ratings.

I'd been really considering a Kindle, but I'm going to look into a Nook more now.

Look for the basis of their review and see if it fits for you first. The reading experience is going to be functionally identical these days. The touchscreen is a big deal for some people (see previous arguments in this thread), and if you want one, it's an easy decision. The point that seems to push the Nook up is the library lending feature. For me, that's a neat thing, and I wish they'd all support it, but I'm really never going to use it so it's a non-factor. I picked originally based on the fact that I hate the Barnes and Noble web site, and buying from them was a pain. They're better now, but I still hate their online store through the reader. I have a nook color and just hate buying books through it. Although, it's a great reader (kids books, with animations, it has no competition), so I just buy on my computer and get them on the nook color.

Bottom line for me is, the kindle 3 is the best reader and I have no upgrade desires yet...nothing new has tempted me so far.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

torgeaux posted:

The point that seems to push the Nook up is the library lending feature. For me, that's a neat thing, and I wish they'd all support it, but I'm really never going to use it so it's a non-factor.

That is coming up later this year.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

Juanito posted:

Yeah, it's no surprise, since just about every review puts the Nook Touch ahead as well. But these things will probably go in circles for years: Nook is better now, next Kindle will ditch the keyboard and top the Nook, following nook will improve and will be on top, etc etc.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

commish posted:

Yeah, it's no surprise, since just about every review puts the Nook Touch ahead as well. But these things will probably go in circles for years: Nook is better now, next Kindle will ditch the keyboard and top the Nook, following nook will improve and will be on top, etc etc.

I'm not sure Kindle will dump the keyboard. Add library support, maybe ePub, but the form factor is hard to beat right now. Battery life and maybe some kind of shopping thru Amazon app that is made for the device/eInk?

commish
Sep 17, 2009

torgeaux posted:

I'm not sure Kindle will dump the keyboard. Add library support, maybe ePub, but the form factor is hard to beat right now. Battery life and maybe some kind of shopping thru Amazon app that is made for the device/eInk?

I'm pretty certain they will - for most people, it's just not needed for reading an e-book. Of course there are some exceptions, but Amazon will probably focus on the majority. Like everyone else, I think Amazon will move towards two products like B&N - a dedicated reader and a more full featured tablet. I bet both will be keyboard-less, since onscreen keyboards are good enough for 98% of people's usage. And, of course, there's always the need to make things smaller, especially when we are talking about something as portable as an e-reader. A color/backlit e-ink screen would be nice :) Regardless, I'll probably just go back and forth using each new product until a better one comes out. At $140 or less, we aren't talking about switching from Nikon to Canon here.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

commish posted:

I'm pretty certain they will - for most people, it's just not needed for reading an e-book. Of course there are some exceptions, but Amazon will probably focus on the majority. Like everyone else, I think Amazon will move towards two products like B&N - a dedicated reader and a more full featured tablet. I bet both will be keyboard-less, since onscreen keyboards are good enough for 98% of people's usage. And, of course, there's always the need to make things smaller, especially when we are talking about something as portable as an e-reader. A color/backlit e-ink screen would be nice :) Regardless, I'll probably just go back and forth using each new product until a better one comes out. At $140 or less, we aren't talking about switching from Nikon to Canon here.

I don't want to start another argument or anything, I'm genuinely curious. What would be the point of a backlit e-ink screen? Isn't one of the major pluses of e-ink that it doesn't cause eye fatigue and looks like reading off of paper? Otherwise why not just buy a tablet?

Maybe it wouldn't be as bad with e-ink, I guess? Or maybe I'm picturing it wrong in my head.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe the ereader could have a little LED light that slides out like in the Kindle case but without a case.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

commish posted:

I'm not sure on the "need to make things smaller." In this context, that is. If you drop it to a 1/4 inch bezel, screen the current size, you basically have the smallest you could go. But, since you'd have to case it as it would be otherwise fragile, you really can't replicate actual paperback book.

Thinner, tougher, better battery. Everything else is just added doodads. Like the touchscreen is, really. It's only advantage is to make it physically smaller, and I'm not sure that's that advantageous right now. Software updates (library, broader format use, shopping ease maybe) are the most useful.

The problem with the lcd/eInk switchables is weight and fragility. They're glass, so they'll fingerprint worse and be heavier and easier to break. But that's the only way I think you'll get them more tablety without being an actual tablet.

I'd like to see a good kindle sized android tablet now, but it wouldn't replace the ereaders.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

spixxor posted:

I don't want to start another argument or anything, I'm genuinely curious. What would be the point of a backlit e-ink screen? Isn't one of the major pluses of e-ink that it doesn't cause eye fatigue and looks like reading off of paper? Otherwise why not just buy a tablet?

Maybe it wouldn't be as bad with e-ink, I guess? Or maybe I'm picturing it wrong in my head.

Well, obviously to read in low-light situations. Tablets are lcd screens - I don't want an LCD screen. I'm hoping for e-ink technology that is backlit, color, etc.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

commish posted:

Well, obviously to read in low-light situations. Tablets are lcd screens - I don't want an LCD screen. I'm hoping for e-ink technology that is backlit, color, etc.

:downs: Well no poo poo, that's not really what I meant. I was just wondering if a backlit e-ink screen wouldn't cause eye fatigue the same was an LCD screen/computer monitor does.

What I'm saying is in my head, a color, backlit e-ink screen would look about the same as a tablet so I'm not getting the difference, really. Unless I vastly overestimate the people for whom 'no eye fatigue' is a selling point. It would probably be cheaper than a tablet, I suppose?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

commish posted:

Making it backlit would mean it would be like looking at an LCD screen.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn
A dim, barely there backlight that you could not only toggle, but adjust the brightness of would be awesome.

If set to a very subtle setting in a dimly lit room, it would be much easier on the eyes than even an external reading light.

I love my lit kindle case, but often find the light is a little brighter than I'd like (I still use it for 100% of my reading though as I always read at night in bed)

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
To me the goal of an e-reader is to emulate as much as possible the look and feel of an actual book. It should not have backlights or brushed metal surfaces or lamps that pop out of the top of the device.

When I was a young lady, I would read with only the moonlight to guide my eyes across the page. A passing cloud could obscure a passage. That was truly the most magical time in my life.

Would you destroy the magic? Yes, we CAN have our stories in full brilliant color that would outshine the moon - but SHOULD we? These are the questions you must ask yourself. The wrong answer will cost us everything.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I read all my Baudelaire on parchment made from virgin lamb, killed during the summer solstice :smug:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

brylcreem posted:

Well, I read all my Baudelaire on parchment made from virgin lamb, killed during the summer solstice :smug:

But the bigger question is: Does it have a keyboard or a touch screen?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

But the bigger question is: Does it have a keyboard or a touch screen?

What kind of stupid loving question is this? It has a keyboard, obviously - he doesn't want finger prints on his virgin lamb parchment.

dynodash
Jul 14, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe the ereader could have a little LED light that slides out like in the Kindle case but without a case.

This would be a great addition. I didn't get a Kindle case because I preferred the size without it, but I do really notice the lack of a light at times.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

spixxor posted:

:downs: Well no poo poo, that's not really what I meant. I was just wondering if a backlit e-ink screen wouldn't cause eye fatigue the same was an LCD screen/computer monitor does.

What I'm saying is in my head, a color, backlit e-ink screen would look about the same as a tablet so I'm not getting the difference, really. Unless I vastly overestimate the people for whom 'no eye fatigue' is a selling point. It would probably be cheaper than a tablet, I suppose?

I guess I don't assume that anything backlit or anything color = lcd screen... I mean, not every b/w screen looks like an e-ink screen, right?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

commish posted:

I guess I don't assume that anything backlit or anything color = lcd screen... I mean, not every b/w screen looks like an e-ink screen, right?

The eyestrain that people get from using LCD screens comes pretty much entirely from the fact that you're looking at something that's putting out light directly into your eyes. If you backlight e-ink it will have the same issue of light directly into your eyes.

I had an old-style non-backlit LCD ereader back in the day before eink readers came out. It was as good a e-ink, really, the only problem I had was that having the screen constantly on meant there was barely any battery life.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

madprocess posted:

The eyestrain that people get from using LCD screens comes pretty much entirely from the fact that you're looking at something that's putting out light directly into your eyes. If you backlight e-ink it will have the same issue of light directly into your eyes.

I had an old-style non-backlit LCD ereader back in the day before eink readers came out. It was as good a e-ink, really, the only problem I had was that having the screen constantly on meant there was barely any battery life.

What was the refresh rate like? I'd be concerned that the refresh rate would contribute to eye strain as well.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

commish posted:

Why do people bring this up, you can't backlight eInk in the first place. The screen is opaque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Sperg Victorious posted:

What was the refresh rate like? I'd be concerned that the refresh rate would contribute to eye strain as well.

LCDs don't refresh. If the screen isn't changing, the pixels don't change. Imagine a digital watch or calculator screen.