Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Roving Reporter posted:

Sadly, I think my old 22" Samsung TN is on its way out. It takes awhile for it to return from sleep with really dim...lackluster colors, then gets bright over 15-20 seconds. Compare that to my Dell U2311H, which is instantly on and bright. Sometimes my TN even returns from sleep with a blank white screen that only a power cycle fixes.

Sadly, no $$ for a replacement now, so here's to my eventual monitor fire. :shepface:

Good news, it's not gonna catch fire. Bad news: sounds like both your backlights and your inverter are dying at the same time. If you like DIY projects, you could get 2 pre-wired CCFL backlights and the inverter off eBay for around 60 bucks. It's worth it when the monitor in question belongs to a laptop, but when you could get a new 22" TN monitor for $150, you may just want to start saving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Roving Reporter posted:

Sadly, I think my old 22" Samsung TN is on its way out. It takes awhile for it to return from sleep with really dim...lackluster colors, then gets bright over 15-20 seconds. Compare that to my Dell U2311H, which is instantly on and bright. Sometimes my TN even returns from sleep with a blank white screen that only a power cycle fixes.

Sadly, no $$ for a replacement now, so here's to my eventual monitor fire. :shepface:

Then you can truly live my imagined dreams of pissing on my computer(monitor).

Nuja
Jan 29, 2006
So I just picked up an Acer S211HL(21.5" TN panel) for $75. I plan on using it as a secondary monitor for my 3d-gaming tax return rig. Does anyone have experience with this monitor? For a TN, it has excellent viewing angles, and upgrading from my old Samsung 1440x900 Syncmaster had a difference of night and day; I never realized how much resolution actually made games looking crisper. Basically, am I getting what I paid for at $75, or is the monitor actually quality and worth more?

My second question is what is the go-to 3d price:performance gaming monitor at the moment? I'm on kind of a tight budget, but I'd really like to spend under ~400, 500 tops.

Thanks in advance!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Swapping gems on a 30", that is how I roll.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Jan posted:

Pop some puzzle quest on there, I'll be jealous. Promise.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Just gave Serious Sam 3 a go in 2560x1600 on High/Ultra settings and it's smooth as silk on my old HD5870... Not bad at all.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Jan posted:

What's that wallpaper on the right screen, there?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Jan posted:

Just gave Serious Sam 3 a go in 2560x1600 on High/Ultra settings and it's smooth as silk on my old HD5870... Not bad at all.

STOP PLAYING THESE NEW FANGLED GAMES. I WANT TO SEE LEISURE SUIT LARRY 2, NOW!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Ghostpilot posted:

What's that wallpaper on the right screen, there?

Some montage from the Kingdom of Zeal, should be on my wallpaper dropbox here.

On that note, I'll have to resave most of my wallpapers at a higher resolution now. I'm not even sure most of my source assets reach that high, 1920x1200 was pushing it already. :v:

Edit: So, what can I do to try and match my old 2407WFP to this shiny new 3011? I realise the latter's extended gamut means I'm not going to see the same range of colours, but I'd like to at least try and match the grayscale levels, if that makes any sense. I can grab a hardware calibrator from work if necessary, but I have to admit I have no idea how this sort of gadget would work.

Jan fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 20, 2012

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Kazvall posted:

STOP PLAYING THESE NEW FANGLED GAMES. I WANT TO SEE LEISURE SUIT LARRY 2, NOW!

Ill say. 320x200 scales perfectly to 2560x1600, so crank up some DOOM or Day of the Tentacle

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

Oh god. I just submitted an order for a U2412M to compliment my 22" LG TN display. What have you all made me do?

just picked mine up from newegg will call.

:staredog: The brightness (and I have a U2410 for my work monitor!)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

incoherent posted:

just picked mine up from newegg will call.

:staredog: The brightness (and I have a U2410 for my work monitor!)

I cancelled my order with Dell because with overnight shipping it was going to take three weeks to reach me. They were a little reluctant to listen to why I was bothered by this. I want it now, dammit!

I ordered a new one from an eBay seller and it should arrive this coming week. Can't wait!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Seriously, newegg always comes in 1-3 days. Why the gently caress would anyone wait 3 weeks?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They have trouble keeping them in stock whenever there is a sale. I got mine for $350 before black Friday madness and it still took like 3 days I think with overnight, I attribute that to a glut of them anticipating orders/people holding off to buy on black Friday.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Kazvall posted:

Seriously, newegg always comes in 1-3 days. Why the gently caress would anyone wait 3 weeks?

I was in disbelief. The dude I chatted with repeated over and over that "there is no delay in the order, we will e-mail you once it ships!" gently caress that. Three weeks to get a monitor? The eBay seller sold it guaranteed new for cheap with free shipping due next week.

Dell must have some insane demand right now or just the shittiest loving order fulfillment yet. </bitch>

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I would expect maybe MAYBE a custom built computer to take three weeks to get to me. But, the fact that I can build a computer in a few hours, not taking into account that I'm not a huge computer franchise with all the parts already at my disposal, just sort of blows my mind.

Is the monitor like ALL THE WAY IN BACK, at the center, and they have to ship everything else before they can get to it?

Were you even given the option to pay more to get it faster? (Albeit, that's loving stupid). Edit: Nevermind, overnight? HAHAHAHAHA.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Kazvall posted:

Were you even given the option to pay more to get it faster? (Albeit, that's loving stupid). Edit: Nevermind, overnight? HAHAHAHAHA.

I usually spring for the extra overnight options whenever I make a big purchase. This was a little low-ball, but man I wanted to shred some games on it this weekend. Must be an awesome monitor that is hand built by highly trained Dell artisans.

I brought up the custom computer angle with him, too. Fact is: this is probably the least customized thing I can buy from them. Gah!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

19 o'clock posted:

I usually spring for the extra overnight options whenever I make a big purchase. This was a little low-ball, but man I wanted to shred some games on it this weekend. Must be an awesome monitor that is hand built by highly trained Dell artisans.

I brought up the custom computer angle with him, too. Fact is: this is probably the least customized thing I can buy from them. Gah!

Well, I mean, this is something I would see from Sears. You know, because they don't really sell computer parts, and if they do, it's from a third party source. My friend recently had a Sears gift card, so he wanted to get a gtx580. They told him like 2-3 weeks, so he sold the gift card and got one on Amazon much faster. I never ever purchase anything from Dell, I had just hoped being so large they could keep better track of inventory. Seeing what kind of tech support, and horrible trash PCs they give to my employer, I've never had a very high opinion of them. In fact I've offered to build and service our company poo poo myself, seeing as how it's so much easier.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Kazvall posted:

95% chance it would not have taken long than a week. As has been repeated throughout this thread, Dell has some really weird inventory monitoring system or something wherein they are CONVINCED that they have to ship things from the moon and quote you hilariously long delivery times. And then it shows up at your door the next day.

And say what you want about their PC lineup, their monitors are fantastic.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

just the shittiest loving order fulfillment yet. </bitch>

No, this is the correct answer. Custom. Pre-built. Sony TVs. THEY ALL TAKE THREE WEEKS TO FULFILL.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

DrDork posted:

And say what you want about their PC lineup, their monitors are fantastic.

It was a tough conversation with their service staff. I understand their monitors to be top-notch and I really want one, but how can I get one when they operate like a mid 90's Sears or JC Penney catalog? I'll be filling out removable order forms and sending them in with a check...everything will be hand written...oh god.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Dell always says 2-3 weeks but it usually comes in a few days. Apple is the same way.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
The dude I bought it from instead just e-mailed me to double-check my address and gave me a tracking number. It's 11pm MST on a Sunday and that poo poo is handled. Dell: your monitors are apparently awesome, but you're facing some stiff competition in terms of service!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I bought my U2410 from a reseller on ebay, and it was the right price, and came quickly. When it came to using the warranty, that was all legit too.

Sometimes ebay isn't just a cess-pit of scammers.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Am I weird for buying a Dell monitor from a reputable brick-and-mortar store? Maybe they don't do that in the US? The store had a 15% lower price than dell.com, too, and I got it the same day.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Am I weird for buying a Dell monitor from a reputable brick-and-mortar store? Maybe they don't do that in the US? The store had a 15% lower price than dell.com, too, and I got it the same day.
Dell monitors (especially the good ones) are generally not carried in any brick-and-mortar store in the US. It's a real shame, too, because I'd think they'd get a lot of sales if they put the UltraSharp lineup right next to the lovely ACERs and whatnot so people could see the difference.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

DrDork posted:

Dell monitors (especially the good ones) are generally not carried in any brick-and-mortar store in the US. It's a real shame, too, because I'd think they'd get a lot of sales if they put the UltraSharp lineup right next to the lovely ACERs and whatnot so people could see the difference.

It seems to me they sell about as many as they can make. I think part of their business model keeping as small an inventory as possible.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
How lovely would an older S-IPS monitor like the 3007WFP-HC be compared to a newer alternative like the u3011?

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(
In terms of image quality, there will probably be no difference, or no clear winner. IPS panels haven't changed much in the last 5 years, at least to the naked eye. My 2007WFP and U2412HM have slightly different color profiles, but everything else is the same.

With a 30"er, the main difference would probably be response time. I think the earlier ones had a bit more input delay than the current ones, which still have more than some smaller screens. If you're not gaming a ton, not a dealbreaker.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I went with the 27" ultrasharp (u2711) and holy poo poo the colors. I knew there would be a difference but this is ridiculous.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Taima posted:

How lovely would an older S-IPS monitor like the 3007WFP-HC be compared to a newer alternative like the u3011?

Basically what Aphal said, the colors will be great, but the response time and input lag may be a little bit worse. Not a big deal if you're not gaming.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thanks for the info Alphal and Movax!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Has anyone had experience with the Viewsonic VX2336s-LED IPS monitor? The price is certainly right, but I can't find any reviews on it (aside from a glowing review from an end-user on Amazon).

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

Dell just delayed my order of a refurbished U2312HM a whole week. :suicide:

While I still have the ability to cancel my order, is the U2412M worth $110 more than the U2312HM?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you have $110, probably, yes

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Dell offers a student discount on the U2412M that's pretty nice, if that's an option for you.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Anal Tributary posted:

Dell offers a student discount on the U2412M that's pretty nice, if that's an option for you.

Too bad it's twice the price of the refurb U2312HM :(

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Taima posted:

I've used 3008s next to 3007-HCs, and there is a pretty noticeable difference in color, not in quality, but in defaults/calibration. The 3007 has no hardware scalar (It was easily much more responsive than 2408s used side by side), no OSD, and nothing you can really adjust on the monitor other than brightness. Any color calibration you'd want to do has to be done in software. If it is your only screen, that's probably not at all a big deal. The only reason I mention it is that if you try and use it next to another monitor, it is a solid bitch getting them looking the same when only one has any easy adjustments on it. We never had any hardware calibrators to help with the 3007, so it was just sorta jarring looking at two monitors that have pretty different color temperatures, despite whatever adjustments you could do.

Blaminator
Apr 16, 2007

"He seriously didn't go mech?"
So my old S2410 died and I decided to bite the bullet and go for a U2711, though I'm getting some light flickering every now and then, it's rare but it pops up every now and then, usually it's quite soon after I turn it on but it goes away after a while. Is this common?

I've tried the cables and tried the monitor on by itself with no input and the flicker is still there :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

Dogen posted:

If you have $110, probably, yes

I don't understand this. I bought the 2312 because it was a hundred bucks cheaper and the only thing is missing is four lines of text.