Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Having made it to almost 30 with neither a UTI or a yeast infection, I realize I must be a lot loving luckier than I ever thought.

I think I'm having a periodless period. I'm crampy and cranky and want all the snacks, but no bleeding. Hell, I had a cramp so bad last night, it woke me up and I had to check to make sure the drat thing didn't fall out.

I'm going to pee on a stick this weekend to ease my mind.

Was it Tig Ole Bitties who mentioned she experienced something similar with her Mirena?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Geolicious posted:

No yeast infections

I got yeast infections every month with my period. Not just, eh whatever discharge. I'd have to grind it on like the edge of the chair, red, swollen, pissed off vag.

And I never have a period with Mirena. Occasionally, I'll get like 2 hours of brownish discharge, like every 3 months. And if I ever go to the doctor, they freak out because they ask the period question first before looking at any medication I'm on.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I got one 4 weeks ago two weeks after insertion. My gyno told me I might not get another. Which would be awesomesauce. But, I'm still going to pee on the stick.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Geolicious posted:

Yeah I got one 4 weeks ago two weeks after insertion. My gyno told me I might not get another. Which would be awesomesauce. But, I'm still going to pee on the stick.

Yeah, I've peed on a few sticks in the last 3 years. Just to check. Never came back positive.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

RazorBunny posted:

Just be glad you don't have stubborn UTIs that require a second round of antibiotics, which come with the side effects of insomnia, neck pain, and a metallic taste in the mouth :toot:

I don't know yet. I still have two more pills in my course to take. It does seem to be improving.

gogogiraffes posted:

I got yeast infections every month with my period. Not just, eh whatever discharge. I'd have to grind it on like the edge of the chair, red, swollen, pissed off vag.

Um, this is a really disgusting image. I hope you're exaggerating. I had yeast infections with my period for 3 months in a row once, used the cream for the first two, and then for the last one I gave in and went to the health center. They said that often it wouldn't go away all the way with the creams, so that as soon as the environment changed into period again, or possibly the irritation of my menstrual cup, it'd wake the infection back up again. They gave me a magic pill that fixed it. Yeast infections are hands down the grossest thing I've ever dealt with.

e: Oh, Geolicious. I get that on Mirena. Usually for about 2 weeks before my period (hardly worth of the name) I have sore boobs, and for at least some of that I'm ravenous for cheese and dairy in general. When the period DOES come it's quite small and dark, which one doctor told me is just because there's less uterine lining even happening, it takes longer for it to all get down the tubes. I think possibly the actual "period" happens a day or two before when I'm craving dairy, and then it takes a while to make its way down. v:)v Bodies are weird.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 9, 2012

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Eggplant Wizard posted:

e: Oh, Geolicious. I get that on Mirena. Usually for about 2 weeks before my period (hardly worth of the name) I have sore boobs, and for at least some of that I'm ravenous for cheese and dairy in general. When the period DOES come it's quite small and dark, which one doctor told me is just because there's less uterine lining even happening, it takes longer for it to all get down the tubes. I think possibly the actual "period" happens a day or two before when I'm craving dairy, and then it takes a while to make its way down. v:)v Bodies are weird.

Holy hell. I've been eating dairy like a mofo!

I just woke up and I am having some really really awful cramping that kind has me worried. No bleeding though. And nothing seems out of place (I guess, I can't reach all the way to my cervix). I took some ibu.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Um, this is a really disgusting image. I hope you're exaggerating. I had yeast infections with my period for 3 months in a row once, used the cream for the first two, and then for the last one I gave in and went to the health center. They said that often it wouldn't go away all the way with the creams, so that as soon as the environment changed into period again, or possibly the irritation of my menstrual cup, it'd wake the infection back up again. They gave me a magic pill that fixed it. Yeast infections are hands down the grossest thing I've ever dealt with.

It had something to do with using pads and moving. Only happened once, when moving. I'm sure it was the sweat/moisture.

But yes, I think yeast infections have been the worst thing yet, aside from migraines. Those came with periods too. I think my body hates being a woman.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I promised, and here they are: images from my ovarian cyst surgery.

:nms::nws::science: Five photographs! :science::nws::nms:

The first two photographs depict my giant-rear end ovarian cyst, which as you can see is loving huge and has no business being inside my body. The little red deal kind of hanging out in the background is my uterus, for scale; it's about the size of a pear.

The third photograph depicts my uterus, wearing a fibroid on top like a stupid little red hat.

The final two photographs depict the process of excision and cauterization as the surgeon removes the cyst tissue. (It being a fluid cyst complex, it was drained and aspirated before removal.)

There's no visible blood, but these are graphic images, and if you're easily grossed out by internal organs, please give this one a pass.

(Crossposting to the sex questions megathread as well, because I promised it there too.)

gabi
Sep 10, 2008
I really want to look at those, but medical poo poo sometimes makes me faint. drat. I was always terrified of getting those when I had a Mirena too.

Implanon update: I appear to be having a forever-period this month, but I've also been putting up with some awful stress and eating like crap. The length/pain of my period has always been a macabre mood ring, so I can't entirely blame the Implanon. I hope it goes away though, I really like this thing otherwise. :(

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Thank you so much for posting those! That's crazy poo poo. How are you healing? Did they use staples or glue to close you up? What kind of scarring do will you have? Do you already feel better?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I'm healing pretty good so far; I have one incision in my belly button and two more half-inch-ish incisions, one over each hipbone; they were closed with dermabond glue. The right incision is very nicely approximated and healing beautifully; the left incision, where the cyst itself was removed, is slightly longer and has a bit of texture to it, a scar-knot, probably from stretching, but is otherwise well-approximated. Some bruising, mostly around the left incision, and some extremely mild spotting.

As for feeling better-- it's definitely a different kind of pain. Before the surgery, the cyst got so big that it was twisting my ovary, stretching my ovarian ligament and cutting off blood flow to the ovary itself. That was sharp, cramping, severe pain that prevented me from walking.

Now I have pinching, aching pain, mostly pelvic but some incisional, and a muscle-tear pain where the trocars went through my abdominal muscles. I'm pretty swollen-- I don't fit into any of my pants, even my scrubs-- and I can't stand up straight, but I'd much rather have this than the other. There's an urgency to ischemic (low blood flow) pain that makes it especially scary and sickening.

(Apologies if the super-detailed report is a bit much; I'm a super nerdy nurse, so I always want the most ridiculously in-depth assessment possible.)

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Does this mean that your left ovary is out of the running now? Or should it still work?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Apparently they saved a little over half of it, so yeah, it should still work. (Right now I kind of wish they'd just taken the drat thing out, because it hurts, but I'm sure I'll change my mind later when I want all those eggs.)

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

elise the great posted:

(Apologies if the super-detailed report is a bit much; I'm a super nerdy nurse, so I always want the most ridiculously in-depth assessment possible.)

No, it's totally interesting. Thanks! "my uterus, wearing a fibroid on top like a stupid little hat" is going to make me giggle all day though.

SunknLiner
Jan 19, 2005

My partner recently started a medication that decreases the effectiveness of her birth control pill by (according to the doctor) 10%. We're in a committed and monogamous relationship and we intend on getting married, but we're not ready for children. Would adding withdrawal to our routine up our birth control effectiveness any, or should we go back to condoms?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

SunknLiner posted:

...or should we go back to condoms?

Condoms. Oh my god condoms. Withdrawal is almost not a birth control method at all, and I do personally know a couple who now have an adorable baby because they "backed up" their med-altered hormonal birth control with withdrawal.

Seriously, withdrawal fails very easily. Sperm can quite happily survive in precum; runoff can result in pregnancy; and millions upon millions of people have faced the horrible afterglow-killing dread of 'pulling out' and then promptly bathing the vaginal area in an unexpected explosion of jizz.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie
Question:

I have a paragard IUD. My partner and I just started taking HCG to lose weight. We're both fatties, so enjoy the fatty sex question ahead:

Doctor says that HCG will make us both more fertile. Would it be wise to use condoms, or is the IUD sufficient?

I'd track my periods to determine any fertile periods, but since having my IUD in April, I've had one-and-a-half period. I ain't complaining. I hope the whole works is broken...

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

I would assume the IUD would be sufficient, as it (from what I've read) is one of the most effective birth control methods for overweight women.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
Please redirect me if this question has already been asked/asked recently. Do any of you have trouble coming on the pill?

I recently switched from Nuvaring back to the birth control pill, and I just finished the last effective pill before the week of blanks. I had sex last night, and I felt nothing. I was bored, and kind of just stared off into space waiting for him to finish. Even my Hitachi Magic Wand felt like nothing! We tried a variety of positions and nothing. I'm starting school again soon and looking for a job, but I'm really not that stressed. Should I wait for my body to adjust to the new hormones? Should I be patient, maybe take some yoga or exercise? I'm not used to my lady bits feeling numb.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Reduced libido is very much a potential side effect of all hormonal birth control. This doesn't mean that every birth control will cause it, as specific problems vary for everyone for every birth control. It is a symptom than can clear up in the 3 month trial though. Hope it does!

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Kerfuffle posted:

Reduced libido is very much a potential side effect of all hormonal birth control. This doesn't mean that every birth control will cause it, as specific problems vary for everyone for every birth control. It is a symptom than can clear up in the 3 month trial though. Hope it does!

I'll just be patient. Thank you!

sparkleheart
Jun 27, 2010

Anyone taking Lo Lestrin Fe?

I started taking it to control extreme PMS and pain during menstruation, and the first week I was on it I started feeling better. I started to feel normal again and my period was very light, but the second week into it I am menstruating very heavily again, extremely bloated, and feeling very down. Basically back to where I started. I also developed this rash that is incredibly itchy (but not red) bumps interspersed with raised plaques all over my legs.

Is the rebound normal? Could the rash be related to the pill?

I have an appointment with my dermatologist tomorrow, and I talked to a receptionist at my gyno's office and she said to see the dermatologist and call back to talk to a doctor.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

sparkleheart posted:

Anyone taking Lo Lestrin Fe?

I started taking it to control extreme PMS and pain during menstruation, and the first week I was on it I started feeling better. I started to feel normal again and my period was very light, but the second week into it I am menstruating very heavily again, extremely bloated, and feeling very down. Basically back to where I started. I also developed this rash that is incredibly itchy (but not red) bumps interspersed with raised plaques all over my legs.

Is the rebound normal? Could the rash be related to the pill?

I have an appointment with my dermatologist tomorrow, and I talked to a receptionist at my gyno's office and she said to see the dermatologist and call back to talk to a doctor.

I'm just finishing my third pack and for once haven't had many side effects (other than a little bloating and spotting), but we all know how differently hormones affect people. Definitely get to a dermatologist about the rash and I'd say see your gyno again as well to discuss side effects.

In the meantime, can you try some light exercise to see if it helps your mood at all? You might also want to keep an eye on diet to help bloating (go easy on sodium & caffeine -- switch up to water & green tea).

Katina
May 3, 2009

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Please redirect me if this question has already been asked/asked recently. Do any of you have trouble coming on the pill?

I recently switched from Nuvaring back to the birth control pill, and I just finished the last effective pill before the week of blanks. I had sex last night, and I felt nothing. I was bored, and kind of just stared off into space waiting for him to finish. Even my Hitachi Magic Wand felt like nothing! We tried a variety of positions and nothing. I'm starting school again soon and looking for a job, but I'm really not that stressed. Should I wait for my body to adjust to the new hormones? Should I be patient, maybe take some yoga or exercise? I'm not used to my lady bits feeling numb.

Whoa. It had never crossed my mind, but yes. I recently went on the pill for the first time and have had the most trouble coming that I have ever had in my life. I don't even have any motivation to try really. I mean, I still love having sex, but it definitely doesn't feel good in the same way.

I'm thinking of trying a different brand of pill. I just completed a packet on Monday, but in the past week I've been getting really really bad headaches. The type where I can't actually function and have to lie in bed for over an hour before I feel ok. Bleh.

Incidentally, I haven't started bleeding yet after finishing a packet. My last pill was less than 72 hours ago. It feels like I've been getting cramps, but no blood yet. I've done all the pill taking properly (within the same half an hour every day) and waited a week to have sex after starting the packet, which was started a week after my period began, and I highly doubt that I ovulated between the start of my period and the pill-taking, as I had over 30 day cycles typically.

Totally haven't been having nightmares about being pregnant. Nope. :ohdear:

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Katina posted:

Incidentally, I haven't started bleeding yet after finishing a packet. My last pill was less than 72 hours ago. It feels like I've been getting cramps, but no blood yet. I've done all the pill taking properly (within the same half an hour every day) and waited a week to have sex after starting the packet, which was started a week after my period began, and I highly doubt that I ovulated between the start of my period and the pill-taking, as I had over 30 day cycles typically.

Totally haven't been having nightmares about being pregnant. Nope. :ohdear:

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but this is your first period on the pill, right?

I don't start bleeding until day 4 of not taking it. I get cramps on day 3, then pretty much 24 hours later there'll be blood. Give it time, try not to worry!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Pee on the stick. It's scary, I know, but the sooner you have info, the sooner you can either relax or be proactive.

When I first started the pill, I started my period on 3rd day of placebo but by the last few years, it wasn't showing up until Day 5 or 6.

Katina
May 3, 2009
Thanks guys. So now I've started bleeding (day 4 as well). I know, typical. This is all new territory for me, so I really appreciate having somewhere to ask these questions.

I would pee on a stick, but I'm 19 and on a family holiday. I wouldn't really know where to begin.

Rydalia
Aug 17, 2004
I didn't call in sick!
Hi fellow Ladygoons!

I got a Mirena today! It was my first time using my health insurance at Kaiser. There was a mix up with scheduling and my phone consultation was scheduled as an appointment. The doctor called me anyways and said I should come in the appointment today and I could get the Mirena inserted. I am VERY STUPID and forgot to take ibuprofen before b/c I was helping a friend with a sewing machine problem then rushed over to Kaiser. So, I got the insertion without any pain relievers.:saddowns: It only hurt really bad for a couple of minutes, then afterwards I had to lie down for a while b/c I felt dizzy when I sat up. The Doctor seemed annoyed at me b/c she was sure I was going to freak out in the middle of the procedure and kept telling me she was "really booked up today". I wanted to ask her some basic questions but she didn't come back after leaving me alone until I felt better.

How long do you have to wait after insertion to have sex?
Is it a good idea to use pads for your first couple of periods?
Is Kaiser always this dysfunctional?
(The doctor that called me and the one who did the insertion were two different people) I only had a $10 copay, fingers crossed that I don't get a giant medical bill later :ohdear:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I was told wait a week before sex, tampons, or baths. Others have been told not to worry about it. If your doctor didn't give you guidelines, I'd go for at least a couple days just because I'm paranoid.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
I was told to keep doing what I normally do. If the IUD is correctly inserted, nothing should make it fall out. If you're like me and the several others here that have a Mirena, you probably won't even get your period! At most you'll experience some very light spotting the first couple weeks and that's it. The discharge in my experience was far too light for a pad or tampon so I'd recommend instead using pantyliners or dark underwear that you don't really care about.

As for Kaiser- no company is 100% perfect, and mistakes can happen like your appointment mixup. If you were unhappy with the doctor, I would find a different one. Sometimes you just have to "shop around" until you find someone you really mesh with. As for payment, once the co-pay is paid, that's it! Your insurance covered the rest of your bills :toot:

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I was told wait a week before sex, tampons, or baths.

I can understand the first two, but baths? Seriously? :psyduck:

v Ah, right.

BigGayLogan fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 18, 2012

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Unless you scrub yourself clean in a shower beforehand, bathwater is just a dirt and bacteria stew that has the ability to get all up in yo bits.

Rydalia
Aug 17, 2004
I didn't call in sick!

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I was told wait a week before sex, tampons, or baths. Others have been told not to worry about it. If your doctor didn't give you guidelines, I'd go for at least a couple days just because I'm paranoid.

Thanks guys! I knew I'd get straightforward answers here! Definitely waiting a week to be safe. No baths or tampons happening (converted cup user, tampons suck).

BigGayLogan posted:

I was told to keep doing what I normally do.
... Your insurance covered the rest of your bills :toot:

I'm fine with the appointment mixup, poo poo happens, just never had a doctor be slightly aggro with me before.

It's now been 8 hours since it was inserted and I feel back to normal again.
I still need to train my brain that it's okay that I didn't take my pill tonight!

This came up on the first page of google when looking for post-insertion Mirena faqs: http://mylifeaftermirena.blogspot.com/2011/01/let-me-just-start-by-saying.html blog about a lady claiming Mirena "ruined her life" and gave her silicone poisioning :tinfoil:
My gut reaction is its made by the same people that protest outside of planned parenthood clinics

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Rydalia posted:

Thanks guys! I knew I'd get straightforward answers here! Definitely waiting a week to be safe. No baths or tampons happening (converted cup user, tampons suck).

No cup either. The idea is avoiding putting stuff in there that could introduce bacteria into your uterus. But yeah cups are the bomb :j::hf::j:

fork bomb posted:

Unless you scrub yourself clean in a shower beforehand, bathwater is just a dirt and bacteria stew that has the ability to get all up in yo bits.

All up in yo bits is amusing me more than it should.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Rydalia posted:

I still need to train my brain that it's okay that I didn't take my pill tonight!

I had about a week and a half of mini "oh my god I forgot my pill" freakouts.

Rydalia
Aug 17, 2004
I didn't call in sick!
Woke up this morning with what looks to be pink eye, anyone else ever get as a side effect after insertion? Going back to Kaiser in two hours.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I sincerely doubt that is related to your Mirena unless your meanie doctor poked you in the eye!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Geolicious posted:

I still have them from time to time, I'll look at the clock and realize it's time to take my pill, and then remember that I've been off it for six or seven months now.

Rydalia
Aug 17, 2004
I didn't call in sick!

Geolicious posted:

I sincerely doubt that is related to your Mirena unless your meanie doctor poked you in the eye!

Yeah thankfully its unrelated, I am apparently just disgusting.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
So we owe the clinic another $170ish on top of the almost 800 we gave them when I got the Mirena, because our insurance didn't cover everything we thought they would. This is on top of the 1k we had to spend on replacing the timing belt on my car, which put us in debt even with the money that my husband's parents loaned us.

I say this because I can't figure out if it's just the stress related to those money problems (I also started a job a month ago but it's really not stressful at all) or if it's just my not quite being used to the Mirena yet, but I've pretty much not stopped spotting since I got it in two and a half months ago. I've had two instances of heavier-than-spotting but not heavy enough to use a tampon bleeding, which I'm assuming were periods, and I'd really like to know if I'll ever be able to stop using a pantyliner every goddamned day. I asked the gyno about using them frequently and she said it was better for lady parts to not use them too much, but I'd rather not have soiled undies all the time, so...

I dunno. I'm glad we got it but at the same time we've only had sex a handful of times since we got it (much more than the 6 months before it, which was ~1 time) and I'm starting to regret spending the money for it when we did because gently caress this stress and I'm going to have my husband call the clinic/insurance company on Monday and see if we can either pay it later or see if they can waive the thing because we literally cannot afford this right now >.<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?

Geolicious posted:

I couldn't wait to get off the drat pill. To me it was just a huge inconvenience. I used to take it at 10:30 every night, but there were often times where I was out late and either had to be home on time to take it, or if I brought it with me I had to be all sneaky (no one around me cared, but still it sucked if I was out at the movies or a show). Then there were nights I felt like going to bed early, but I had to set an alarm so I could wake up in time for my pill.

Then about a year ago I got out of a hellish relationship, making the pill redundant for me. But I kept on taking it cause gently caress periods. The first night I got my IUD, I was relieved I never had to take another pill again, let alone plan my evenings around it.

• Locked thread