Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did not expect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like next year is going to be chaos on the streets.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Crazy is as crazy does.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm going to be really annoyed if the last shot of the season is that hidden door in Bruce's office opening that they've shown multiple times in commercials.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Ok that rooftop confrontation was the worst god drat thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess they're leaving it open just in case they ever want to bring the character back.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
yeah that was horrible

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I thought the Nygma scene was great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mastajake posted:

They actually did make him look threatening at the end.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

I'm going to be really annoyed if the last shot of the season is that hidden door in Bruce's office opening that they've shown multiple times in commercials.

Boo-urns.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

You made that happen!!!

Anyways, other than the dumb rooftop scene, that was pretty good. I like Falcone having genuine respect for Gordon.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

mastajake posted:

Super creepy with surround sound. The voices were coming from all over my room.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Zero One posted:

Super creepy with surround sound. The voices were coming from all over my room.

I guess I'm in the minority, I already knew he was crazy without the show slapping a "hey look at the crazy Riddler guy" scene in my face. I liked the slow lead-in to it I guess; I didn't need the "in case you can't figure what's going on" scene. :shrug:

This whole episode felt weird to me, like why did Selena suddenly became murder-buds with Fish after two weeks?

(And why did Fish turn into a Mad Max character)?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
So now that fish is dead Selina is going to take over the child army and go to war with the penguin

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
I haven't watched since the last long break the show took. Did Fish die and if so how painful was it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Depressio111117 posted:

I haven't watched since the last long break the show took. Did Fish die and if so how painful was it?

She fell off a roof into some water after being shot. It was ambiguous.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

imperialparadox posted:

(And why did Fish turn into a Mad Max character)?

Why not? :regd10:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Barbara's character just became exponentially more interesting.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
That was a terrible finale. Easily the worst I've seen in years. From Gordon walking in on Penguin right as he ends his monologue and is about to kill Falcone, to Fish shooting Moroni, and the four guys who are literally the center of attention, freeing themselves and escaping without so much as a dirty look cast their way - it was all television from the 90s.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The only thing that surprised me about this awful episode was Barbra not killing Morena. I'm 100% convinced the most interesting character of season 2 is going to be the only other room in Wayne Manor.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show good. Real good show.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Depressio111117 posted:

Probably not. She's an awful character with no redeeming qualities so obviously her and Penguin will be going at it again in Season 2.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Probably not. She's an awful character with no redeeming qualities so obviously her and Penguin will be going at it again in Season 2.

wellp guess i won't be coming back for season two then. I wish the best of luck to Robin Lord Taylor and Donal Logue and the kid playing Bruce.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

LLJKSiLk posted:

She's dead. Jada Pinkett Smith announced she wasn't returning for S2 a while back.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
Happy: the gang war was fun, that bastage Maroni got shot in the fargin' head and the sunninumbitching icehole deserved it. You knew it was coming, and dammit if the Penguin doesn't have everyone on at least one or two strings. I'm loving his character, and at the beginning, I thought he was just horrible and pathetic. Great arc for him.

I hate that the Death of Fish® was ambiguous. You just know she's not dead... if JPS signs on for another year....

Babs going apeshit was truly a WTF moment. I hope they just kill her.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

She fell off a roof into some water after being shot. It was ambiguous.

A fall from that height into the river with no body? Of COURSE she's dead.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/jada-pinkett-smith-leaving-gotham-season-2-1201447900/

They could recast her but that would take us solidly into full retard territory.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/jada-pinkett-smith-leaving-gotham-season-2-1201447900/

They could recast her but that would take us solidly into full retard territory.

*Some woman walks onscreen*
BUTCH: Gee Fish, it sure was lucky we were able to recapture you from the Dollmaker again!
END SCENE

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Bruceski posted:

A fall from that height into the river with no body? Of COURSE she's dead.
To survive in that water, she'd have to be some kind of fis- oh, right.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

*Some woman walks onscreen*
BUTCH: Gee Fish, it sure was lucky we were able to recapture you from the Dollmaker again!
END SCENE

It gets worse. Barbra's actress is pulling double duty. Her only wardrobe change is a single blue contact in her right eye.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
As much of a mess as some parts of that finale were, at least it felt climactic.

Also how did they name her Fish, have the Penguin kill her, and not have there be a pun about it?

Penguin showing up with the giant machine gun and just gunning everyone else down was great.

What is the name of the music that played while the door to the batcave opened at the end?

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

imperialparadox posted:

I guess I'm in the minority, I already knew he was crazy without the show slapping a "hey look at the crazy Riddler guy" scene in my face. I liked the slow lead-in to it I guess; I didn't need the "in case you can't figure what's going on" scene. :shrug:

I think it was less of a "Hey, in case you guys are loving stupid, this is a crazy dude right here" and more of the writers just wanting a cool scene to illustrate the Riddler's introduction. Like, this was their way of saying "It's officially go time."

I still can't stand Barbara, but ironically, Mad Max Fish actually wasn't too bad, it kind of felt like Smith's terrible over-the-top bullshit acting actually fit this new, goofy over-the-top style. I still hope she doesn't come back though. Too little, too late.

Now if Barbara can get shipped to Arkham and Gordon can have his little cry about it and then we can never see her again, that would be just super.

The adventures of Lil' Wayne and Alfred is still my favorite part of this show.

Edit: I hope Papa Wayne has a hidden adult-baby room in what eventually becomes the bat cave.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Welp that episode consumed what little remaining good will I had left for this program.

What convenient timing.

I imagine only a curiousity most macabre would get me to tune in for the season 2 premiere but beyond that... eh.

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

Metropolis posted:

What is the name of the music that played while the door to the batcave opened at the end?
"Dance of the Knights" - Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBsKplb2E6Q

Thunderdome Fish was one of the funniest things.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ding Dong Fish is Dead! Great finale!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fish runs ran Bartertown.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It felt so unfocused all over the place and trying to tie up as many storylines as possible. It seems like the mob war storyline could have been at least 1 or 2 full episodes worth of stuff on its own and culminated with the events of this episode.

It sort of makes me wonder how much the additional episodes being ordered for this season affected the flow of the storylines for the season and each episode. For as little as people liked Fish, I think that literally every scene or storyline where she was directly involved towards the last half of the season since her departure from Gotham City felt REALLY like it stopped the flow of everything instantly.

I could almost see this being a season without the entire Fish/Dollmaker story, though. With that gone, we sort of slip right into the season ending mob war, maybe, a lot more quickly as the Maroni and Falcone stories might have gotten more focus rather than going back and forth with a meaningless arc.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 5, 2015

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Metropolis posted:

Also how did they name her Fish, have the Penguin kill her, and not have there be a pun about it?

You know, the way that Selina was swaggering around with the machine gun and the way that Fish was really warming up to her and letting her guard down, I could have just have easily have seen Selina decide at some point to shoot her herself just because she was bored.

Then turn to Gordon and go, "Talk about a shootin' fish in a barrel, huh?"

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

JediTalentAgent posted:

You know, the way that Selina was swaggering around with the machine gun and the way that Fish was really warming up to her and letting her guard down, I could have just have easily have seen Selina decide at some point to shoot her herself just because she was bored.

For a person named Fish, she sure does have a tendency to surround herself with people named after things that eat Fish.

She'll be back next year, with her new allies Dolphin Jones, Sushi Chef, and The Pescatarian.

(This show is so incompetent and awful, but also somehow deeply entertaining. It's not the Gotham I wanted, but probably the one I need right now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Getting rid of Fish is a good thing, not just because her storylines usually were bad, but because it lets them focus more on the characters that are actually interesting. They really shouldn't go crazy introducing more people in season 2 because right now they have a fairly solid cast. They're supposed to be doing more with Harvey Dent but hopefully that's it.

• Locked thread