Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Alter Ego posted:

:cripes:

Unless it's to make sure that they win in NH and PA this is a mistake.

reposting from the Trump thread, but it has to do [imo] with how a murphy win is going to come about. Rubio is strong with Florida Latinos. It will be difficult for him to be knocked off in a normal election cycle when the D's strength in Florida is willing to ticket split to vote for him. You do, however, win in a wave. Financial investment doesn't really make that more or less likely to happen and HRC is already dumping so much into Florida that the DSCC can use their resources to work on turnout in Missouri and Indiana.

Murphy also had a pretty bad debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

reposting from the Trump thread, but it has to do [imo] with how a murphy win is going to come about. Rubio is strong with Florida Latinos. It will be difficult for him to be knocked off in a normal election cycle when the D's strength in Florida is willing to ticket split to vote for him. You do, however, win in a wave. Financial investment doesn't really make that more or less likely to happen and HRC is already dumping so much into Florida that the DSCC can use their resources to work on turnout in Missouri and Indiana.

Well, maybe that's true, but narrative-wise it'll be spun as "DEMS GIVE UP ON MURPHY, DOES THIS SPELL DOOM FOR CLINTON IN FLORIDA?"

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Alter Ego posted:

Well, maybe that's true, but narrative-wise it'll be spun as "DEMS GIVE UP ON MURPHY, DOES THIS SPELL DOOM FOR CLINTON IN FLORIDA?"

i think its pretty hard to see it being doom and gloom for Clinton in florida when she hasn't trailed in a poll there in weeks. Murphy is a weak candidate [like most statewide FL dems] and will get elected in a wave. Rubio probably knocks him off otherwise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Murphy is doing badly with Hispanics. That's the real problem. If it wasn't for that he would be ahead. In fact the polling for Murphy is way better than a few weeks ago.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Alter Ego posted:

stay safe optics ghost

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Schnorkles posted:

yea Murphy and a few others are in positions where you can dump money into the race all day but unless the right voters show up in big enough numbers already you're just pissing in the wind. They could be pulling out and hoping the narrow gap gets closed by a wave of straight ticket D voters.

Also yea, Clinton is paying huge in Florida already, it's kinda dumb to keep dumping money when Big Mama is already making it rain.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

old cuban americans have the worst politics, im saying this as a son of one

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Percelus posted:

old cuban americans have the worst politics, im saying this as a son of one
Your parents named you "Politics"?! ;)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

yea Murphy and a few others are in positions where you can dump money into the race all day but unless the right voters show up in big enough numbers already you're just pissing in the wind. They could be pulling out and hoping the narrow gap gets closed by a wave of straight ticket D voters.

Also yea, Clinton is paying huge in Florida already, it's kinda dumb to keep dumping money when Big Mama is already making it rain.

So the logic on pulling funding from Murphy is that he is going to win/lose because of Clinton's coattails and no amount of $$ will change that? Basically the Clinton campaign is getting the likely Murphy voters to the polls and Murphy is unlikely to benefit from ticket splitting? Or am I being too optimistic?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

axeil posted:

So the logic on pulling funding from Murphy is that he is going to win/lose because of Clinton's coattails and no amount of $$ will change that? Basically the Clinton campaign is getting the likely Murphy voters to the polls and Murphy is unlikely to benefit from ticket splitting? Or am I being too optimistic?

The logic is that Murphy is a weak candidate and there are better uses for funds. If Murphy wins its because of coattails and the bottom falling out of republican turnout, not the power of his own campaign.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
The other thing working against Murphy - FL is expensive to compete in because it's so huge. You get more bang for your buck investing in 2 smaller states than competing there.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Murphy's entire appeal as a democratic candidate is basically that he's good at fundraising so he might just not need the help, for whatever good it would do anyway

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Concerned Citizen posted:

The other thing working against Murphy - FL is expensive to compete in because it's so huge. You get more bang for your buck investing in 2 smaller states than competing there.

For context: FL has five cities whose TV markets are within the top 50 DMAs (Tampa Bay #13, Miami #16, Orlando #19, West Palm Beach #38, Jacksonville #47) plus several others in the top 100, compared to other battleground states Missouri with 2 (STL #21, KC #31--Springfield is at #74), NC with 3 (Charlotte #24, Raleigh-Durham #27, Winston-Salem 46) plus an NC/SC split market at #36, and Indiana only one (Indianapolis #25--Evansville and Ft Wayne are both out of the top 100 DMAs, although there is spillover in Illiana with the Chicago market). Ad spending in FL has to be absurdly expensive.

For content: GOP internal polls have Ayotte by 1 in NH, Toomey by 2 in PA (partially due to a reverse-split in the Philly 'burbs, where Clinton is doing well but McGinty is struggling a bit), Rubio by 3 in FL despite the ad-pull and Blunt by 1 in MO. https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/643658?oref=t.co&mref=twitter_share&unlock=XCNQD1I4XP3RF84H

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There seems to be a lot of Senate races where the Dems are losing/barely leading at all but Hillary is doing well. I do think her strategy of distancing the rest of the GOP from Trump is making it harder for those candidates to break away.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

There seems to be a lot of Senate races where the Dems are losing/barely leading at all but Hillary is doing well. I do think her strategy of distancing the rest of the GOP from Trump is making it harder for those candidates to break away.

I think it's depressing turnout vs trying to tie the downballot if you can hammer the top of the ticket down a few %, there's no need for anything else

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

At least it seems that GOP turnout is already down in several swing states.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

plus she's not the best messenger for that, the downballot themselves are working hard to make those connections

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

also the gop is trying to ratfuck democrats in NY-21 by talking about how the green party candidate is the real progressive. i don't really know why dke hates the top-two system so much; it seems like avoiding this sort of thing, or the way maine's non-insane voters split between two candidates and made paul lepage a two-term governor, makes up for the occasional lockout by two strong candidates from the minority party (maine might go to the theoretically superior IVR tho iirc, isn't there a ballot measure about that? how is that looking? it would be interesting to see how americans react to that, i think it'd be the highest level it's been applied at in this country?)

Derrick, like almost all democratic campaigns, are going after the Trump connection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYLxGGxYS14

I don't think she has a chance, especially in NY.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
derrick is going to lose real bad

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

derrick is going to lose real bad

Color me corrected: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/elise-stefanik-lead-internal-poll-new-york-mike-derrick

Upstate NY!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I had honestly never heard of California's top two system, but drat that's so good. So much better than party switching and tactical voting

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I had honestly never heard of California's top two system, but drat that's so good. So much better than party switching and tactical voting

It has drawbacks. The "best" candidate might come in 3rd place if the party participation of candidates is too lopsided, like what happened in my district in 2012. But it doesn't seem extremely likely and it was corrected in 2014 anyway. All in all, I'm satisfied.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the 'two candidates from party w/ 40% of the vote finish 1-2 over eighteen candidates from party w/ 60% of the vote' thing is a drawback and does happen on occasion

there's just a fundamental awkwardness between 'the best two names on this ballot will go to the next round' and 'party politics as they actually exist'. i don't know if there's really a solution

in theory having every voter rank every candidate and going on to nth-preference votes is better, but in reality, where most voters are confused by anything new and dont know or care who any of the names on the ballot are anyway, i could see it falling short of its theoretical benefits

i think there was an oakland mayor election using some kind of ranked preference system that went to a trillion ballots that confused people, but i don't really know how people felt about it. anyone follow that election and the aftermath?

finding the best way to vote, much like finding the best way to district, is an interesting problem and i suspect there's really no one true answer, but i'm open to suggestions

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

we should have a ncaa tournament bracket for our elections

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ranked and range voting are perhaps mildly confusing, but not nearly as bad as having seventeen statewide propositions, with two pairs that are mutually exclusive.

On top of that you have county and municipal propositions (can number in the dozens), and election for dogcatcher or whatever bullshit position where there is zero public information about the candidate.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

^ im generally in favor of more complicated things for their own sake (see below) in any case so i'm all for that stuff, and i think there's a happy medium that's more complicated than first-past-the-post that we're only gonna find through laboratory of democracy style trial and error, so i hope we get a proliferation of voting methods and tons of analysis

also im not looking forward to figuring out what the gently caress is going on with the dueling grocery store bag propositions but im stoked af that im gonna be able to vote for a redistricting commission in my city!!!

i read the law and it looks p solid - hell, if i get some time in the next 3 years i might try to draw up some maps using publicly available data and try to get my rear end on the commission (is pipedream, will not occur) - and nobody bothered to submit an 'anti' write-up for the election booklet so i'm guessing there isn't any significant opposition to it

Karl Barks posted:

we should have a ncaa tournament bracket for our elections

australian rules football playoff system ftw

the dutch or belgians had the most ridiculous playoff system ive ever seen where basically everyone in the league was involved in interlocking playoffs where the winners could go up to win champions league spots or down to win europea league spots or even into the relegation playoffs, to avoid going down to the minor leagues. it was so complicated that only i could love it, and i think they got rid of it - but there was some particular graphic of it that i just can't find right now

also i dont have it any more but like 10 years ago i drew up an afl style playoff for mlb in screenshot-of-xls form - every once in a while someone posts it at me on twitter so i guess it's still floating around. i also have a spreadsheet where i used macros to open a simulator in internet explorer, download the box scores, and run afl-style playoffs for mlb from 1903 to 2009 or whenever i made it. i should dig that thing up

im a strong believer in complicated playoff systems

but i came in here to post this politico article
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/house-republicans-firewall-election-229910

quote:

With Trump fending off allegations of sexual harassment and his tanking numbers threatening to pull down once-safe GOP lawmakers, this is what 2016 now looks like for the pair of related conservative outside groups: They're dropping $500,000 on TV ads in deep-red Utah to protect Rep. Mia Love, whose Mormon-heavy district has recoiled from Trump’s vulgar comments about women. They’re spending another $700,000 in Tucson, Arizona, to protect freshman Rep. Martha McSally, a retired Air Force colonel who has comfortably led her Democratic challenger all year. And they're working to shore up conservative-leaning districts in the Central Valley of California, western Colorado, upstate New York and Michigan.

The vast majority of the groups' money is still being spent on competitive races. But the pair of groups is also now engaged in a pre-emptive attempt to stanch the bleeding caused by Trump and preserve Speaker Paul Ryan’s historically large majority. Officials say they hope to prevent Democrats from expanding their map, and allow the National Republican Congressional Committee to focus its resources on the toughest races.

even if democrats lose all of these seats, this is money that probably would've gone to senate races or the presidency instead. not all fundraising money is fungible, but i think it's pretty clear that a ton of gop donors have moved their giving downticket, and the further down they feel the need to go the thinner they're stretched and the more upballot poo poo they're triaging

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 00:46 on Oct 19, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

oystertoadfish posted:

also im not looking forward to figuring out what the gently caress is going on with the dueling grocery store bag propositions

67 is “Ban disposable bags Require retailers to charge at least 10¢ for disposable bags”. The 10¢ minimum fee exists to encourage shoppers to bring re‐usable bags; retailers are free to do whatever they want with the fee.

65 would take the 10¢ fees, if 67 passes, and put them in some nebulous fund (I haven’t looked into the specifics of this fund). If it passes on its own, nothing happens.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

oh that's not that complicated. i shouldn't read those pro-con argument sections in the election book thing i got in the mail, they're just talking points and confused me without enlightening

thanks

edit: other bigger numbers in that article

quote:

They’ll spend $2 million to protect Jeff Denham of California, a three-term congressman who thumped his Democratic opponent the first time they faced off in 2014. That money will be used to counter millions being poured into the district by Democrats trying to capitalize on Denham’s district's large Hispanic population: Their ads seek to tie Denham to Trump’s controversial comments about undocumented workers.

CLF and AAN are also investing $1.3 million in Rep. Scott Tipton’s Colorado district. Tipton handily beat his Democratic challenger last cycle, 58 percent to 36 percent. But his opponent, former state Sen. Gail Schwartz, outraised him $623,000 to $423,000 in her first quarter, turning the sleepy reelection into a real race. And since then, House Majority PAC, the outside group associated with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, has poured hundreds of thousands into the district.

The conservative groups are also spending a half-million dollars for Rep. Elise Stefanik in New York, though Stefanick’s campaign just released a poll showing her leading her Democratic challenger 54 percent to 29 percent. And they’re pumping about $1.7 million into a trio of Michigan districts: to help incumbents Tim Walberg and Mike Bishop, and win an open seat being vacated by Dan Benishek.

i hope that beekeeper named eggman whose wife or sister or w/e is a state rep wins the modesto district. it's gonna be really interesting to see if/how hispanic turnout going up hits the central valley - agricultural laborers are a, uh, historically low-turnout constituency and i've read that lots of the hispanic work force had to uproot themselves and move around the valley to find work during the drought, although i don't know much about this topic so i'll refrain from making any sweeping comments (for example i don't know how many of them are illegal and therefore not a factor in terms of votes)

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 01:23 on Oct 19, 2016

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
fwiw denham's district actually voted for obama in 2012

and heck, that was the first time that stanislaus county—which it's based around—had given a majority of its votes to the democratic candidate since 1964

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

oystertoadfish posted:

also im not looking forward to figuring out what the gently caress is going on with the dueling grocery store bag propositions

Platystemon posted:

67 is “Ban disposable bags Require retailers to charge at least 10¢ for disposable bags”. The 10¢ minimum fee exists to encourage shoppers to bring re‐usable bags; retailers are free to do whatever they want with the fee.

65 would take the 10¢ fees, if 67 passes, and put them in some nebulous fund (I haven’t looked into the specifics of this fund). If it passes on its own, nothing happens.

ballotpedia is a pretty good source for prop info, that's what i was using

67 bans plastic bags and adds a 10 cent fee for other disposable bags (ie paper); 65, as you said, redirects the fee.

apparently the plastic bag manufacturers are anti-67 (duh) and pro-65; as far as anyone can tell, this is an attempt to turn stores against the measure (since if they aren't getting the bag fee, they'll look for ways to avoid implementing it and push for a repeal). basically 65 is a pretty-looking poison pill

the list of supporters and opponents is pretty revealing

classic stuff

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Early voting started in Florida yesterday! Haven't gone out yet since I probably need to look up judges to see if they're poo poo or not (they probably are). There's also amendments 3 and 4 which are tax exemptions and I'm tempted to vote no on 4 for spite against the elderly or something. There's also the local down ballot which I might just leave blank since is pretty much all red and dem in name only. The state races I'll probably vote all dem though since it's unlikely they'll win anyways except for Rod Smith since he's been there forever.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/house-2016-democrats-gain-in-ratings/

The house is slowly moving towards the Dems, but they need to sweep the toss-ups and knock off a few lean seats to actually gain control.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

cmon wave cmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

fill my wave cave, house election prognosticators

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/789204320184963072

christ

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Early voting started in Florida yesterday! Haven't gone out yet since I probably need to look up judges to see if they're poo poo or not (they probably are). There's also amendments 3 and 4 which are tax exemptions and I'm tempted to vote no on 4 for spite against the elderly or something. There's also the local down ballot which I might just leave blank since is pretty much all red and dem in name only. The state races I'll probably vote all dem though since it's unlikely they'll win anyways except for Rod Smith since he's been there forever.

make sure you also vote no on 1 (it is poo poo)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fullhouse posted:

make sure you also vote no on 1 (it is poo poo)

No on 1, Yes on 2, probably yes on 3 and idgaf no on 4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rubio is gay for pay.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

God drat, Obama

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/51a716548ddb41efad6e2dd06ae3366b/bayh-didnt-stay-overnight-indiana-condo-once-2010

quote:

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Evan Bayh says that his Indianapolis condominium has long been his home, and that he has spent "lots and lots" of time there since deciding to run for his old Senate seat. But a copy of his schedule shows Bayh did not stay overnight there once during his last year in office in 2010.

The schedule provided to The Associated Press shows the Democrat spent taxpayer money, campaign funds or let other people pay for him to stay in Indianapolis hotels on the relatively rare occasions he returned from Washington, D.C.

During the same period, he spent $3,000 in taxpayer money on what appeared to be job hunting trips to New York, despite the assertion of his campaign that the trips were devoted to official media appearances.

The AP obtained Bayh's schedule from a source who requested anonymity because the information was private. The Bayh campaign did not dispute its authenticity.

Since unexpectedly entering the race in July, Bayh, whose primary residence is in Washington, has struggled to explain whether Indiana is home. During an interview with WLFI-TV in August he tried to put the issue to rest, but gave the wrong address for his condo, which is listed on his drivers' license and voter registration.

"I'll always be a Hoosier," Bayh said last week. "We own our condominium. Period. From time to time I would stay someplace else, but our condo has always been our home."

Bayh stayed at Indianapolis hotels roughly a dozen times in 2010, though taxpayers paid only a few hundred dollars because campaign funds or other people helped pick up the tab.

Bayh's schedule shows the four taxpayer-funded trips to New York between September and November 2010 revolved largely around meetings with a veritable who's who of American banking and finance, as well as a job headhunter.

Senate ethics rules forbid the use of public money for personal travel. Bayh's campaign says the trips to New York were justified because he also conducted official business, including giving interviews to journalists.

Bayh's campaign initially made no mention of the meetings with leaders in the financial world. Later, presented with details from his schedule, campaign spokesman Ben Ray said the meetings were routine for Bayh, who served on the Senate's banking committee.

"It was entirely ordinary and even important for him to meet with industry leaders to insist upon regulatory changes," Ray said.

But the New York trips were all after he announced he was leaving the Senate in February, and after President Barack Obama signed into law the Dodd-Frank banking reform bill that Bayh considered as a member of the committee.

Prior to 2010, Senate records show he hadn't traveled to New York using Senate funds since 2002.

In September 2010, Bayh took two trips that cost taxpayers $1,414.

He flew to New York on Sept. 1, staying overnight with Adam Aron, a longtime friend and official at Apollo Global Management. After a morning appearance on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Bayh met with Bank of America CEO Brian Moynihan followed by JP Morgan CEO Jamie Dimon.

Five days later, he again flew to New York, leaving a family vacation at the Nantucket mansion of financier David Rubenstein. He again stayed with Aron, met with then-Credit Suisse executive Rob Shafir and taped an appearance with journalist Katie Couric.

Later, he met with Deutsche Bank chief executive Seth Waugh, dined with Goldman Sachs chief executive Lloyd Blankfein and returned to Aron's apartment for the night. The next morning he had breakfast with Thomas Neff, a headhunter from New York firm Spencer Stuart.

In November 2010, he flew in for an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity. The Senate paid $519 for a stay at the Regency in Manhattan in addition to airfare. The next day Bayh met with Moelis and Co. investment bank CEO Ken Moelis, General Atlantic investment firm CEO William E. Ford and Leon Black, CEO of Apollo Global Management. Apollo hired Bayh two months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Xelkelvos posted:

No on 1, Yes on 2, probably yes on 3 and idgaf no on 4

probably voting no, yes, no, no because we don't need more tax exemptions in this hell state

• Locked thread