Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

As a tall person, a wall fridge sounds like an amazing idea.

I remember as a kid we had a whole refrigerated room, the fridge was just this door mounted on the wall above countertop that opened into said room. By the main entrance door there was a bigger freezer door so you could step entirely into the fridge room. I thought it was very cool but my parents eventually tore out the whole thing to make the kitchen bigger and replaced it with a big fridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jaded Burnout posted:

What are y'all's opinions about architraves and other such business? Style and colour. Do you think a house needs to be consistent throughout or adjust based on the surroundings of the door? Tell me all your thoughts.

Do you mean the entire door trim or just the top? Because it’s going to look weird as all hell if just the top is a different color.

Just match the baseboard

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

What are y'all's opinions about architraves and other such business? Style and colour. Do you think a house needs to be consistent throughout or adjust based on the surroundings of the door? Tell me all your thoughts.

I think that you need to stick with the same style throughout the house otherwise you (and other people) will notice the differences. IMO architrave is one of those things that you don't really want to be that noticeable.

Slight differences in sizing of the same style between rooms will not show up (my house has the simple chamfered style, but there are 3 slightly different chamfer angles/sizes and I only notice when trying to get the correct matching one each time when I have had to replace bits!)

If you vary the colour between rooms then think hard before doing it to doors that you might ever want to leave open because the transition will always be visible there.

In your case I think you are in the enviable position of being able to get it all the same style and colour right through the house!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

His Divine Shadow posted:

I remember as a kid we had a whole refrigerated room, the fridge was just this door mounted on the wall above countertop that opened into said room. By the main entrance door there was a bigger freezer door so you could step entirely into the fridge room. I thought it was very cool but my parents eventually tore out the whole thing to make the kitchen bigger and replaced it with a big fridge.

Man, I would adore a walk-in, but I wouldn't want to pay to cool it. Once I get to the point of buying a house, one of my first purchases is going to be a reach-in deep freeze so I can keep the bulk stuff in there and reserve the fridge's freezer for stashing my lunches and quick grab stuff.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Helps that in Northern Countries are colder than a fridge for most of the year, too.

I recently went to my parents house and I forgot how convenient it is to use the garage/outdoors for keeping things cold/frozen. After living in a place where -2C is cold for a year, it really is crazy how fast chocolate freezes at -30C. Somehow my beer didn't freeze in the garage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is a dark place.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

His Divine Shadow posted:

I thought it was very cool

I should hope so.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do you mean the entire door trim or just the top? Because it’s going to look weird as all hell if just the top is a different color.

Just match the baseboard

The whole trim, of course.

For context, I have a whole house to do, including baseboards, and I'm curious what styles other people are into.

Tomarse posted:

I think that you need to stick with the same style throughout the house otherwise you (and other people) will notice the differences. IMO architrave is one of those things that you don't really want to be that noticeable.

Slight differences in sizing of the same style between rooms will not show up (my house has the simple chamfered style, but there are 3 slightly different chamfer angles/sizes and I only notice when trying to get the correct matching one each time when I have had to replace bits!)

If you vary the colour between rooms then think hard before doing it to doors that you might ever want to leave open because the transition will always be visible there.

In your case I think you are in the enviable position of being able to get it all the same style and colour right through the house!

I'm thinking about it in terms of appropriate scale. You don't put a big sofa in a small living room because it looks out of place, and likewise if I fancied a more robust trim it might be more appropriate on a door which sits in a large space of wall, rather than one tucked away with little surrounding space. But you also don't limit yourself to just small sofas everywhere.

Like this style, with block corners:

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Like this style, with block corners:

That color combo is amazing and I hope I can incorporate it somewhere.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our frames and trim are all medium brown, except the bathroom areas. Having white baseboards next to a brown door frame isn't bad at all but that transition board would have been better to match the bathroom and not the hall.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Otoh all our closet doors are white in the same brown frames. It reminds me of fusuma doors in tatami rooms and works much better than you would expect from a verbal description.

The windows have different, dark brown sills and white frames. Also, I'm a terrible person who has catalog parts and wallpaper.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 3, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

kimcicle posted:

That color combo is amazing and I hope I can incorporate it somewhere.

I'm thinking of doing exactly that myself, though probably with chrome handles as that would match my anthracite grey external doors. Maybe a few shades lighter so internal doors feel different.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
My kitchen has three boob lights spaced around the ceiling, and each one only takes a single bulb. Only two of those lights really illuminate the main work space, so it's pretty dim (especially at night). I've got 60 watt equivalent LEDs in them, and would go higher except that the fixtures are closed and I think that 100 watt equivalent LEDs would cook themselves. I'm looking to replace at least two of the three with open topped, multi-bulb fixtures so I can get better light in there. The kitchen as a whole looks kind of like poo poo, with no cohesive design to anything, so I'm not overly concerned about buying "the ideal fixtures" from an aesthetic perspective. At some point in 20 years, I'll redo the kitchen, and I'm fine with tossing whatever fixtures I get now at that point.

So basically I want some inoffensive, generic looking kitchen light fixtures that are open (so I can use LED bulbs without overheating) and can produce a lot of light. I'm hoping to find something at <$100 US per fixture. Is there a good online store for fixtures that I should peruse? Or should I just go buy whatever basically fits my needs from a big box store?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

armorer posted:

My kitchen has three boob lights spaced around the ceiling, and each one only takes a single bulb. Only two of those lights really illuminate the main work space, so it's pretty dim (especially at night). I've got 60 watt equivalent LEDs in them, and would go higher except that the fixtures are closed and I think that 100 watt equivalent LEDs would cook themselves. I'm looking to replace at least two of the three with open topped, multi-bulb fixtures so I can get better light in there. The kitchen as a whole looks kind of like poo poo, with no cohesive design to anything, so I'm not overly concerned about buying "the ideal fixtures" from an aesthetic perspective. At some point in 20 years, I'll redo the kitchen, and I'm fine with tossing whatever fixtures I get now at that point.

So basically I want some inoffensive, generic looking kitchen light fixtures that are open (so I can use LED bulbs without overheating) and can produce a lot of light. I'm hoping to find something at <$100 US per fixture. Is there a good online store for fixtures that I should peruse? Or should I just go buy whatever basically fits my needs from a big box store?

I apologise for not answering the question you asked, but what's your reasoning behind the LED bulbs overheating where your existing bulbs don't? My understanding is that they should generate much *less* heat than an equivalent halogen or incandescent. Is it a built-in transformer thing?

I just touched the glass of one of my 240V AC LED bulbs which has been on all day and it was barely hot.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I apologise for not answering the question you asked, but what's your reasoning behind the LED bulbs overheating where your existing bulbs don't? My understanding is that they should generate much *less* heat than an equivalent halogen or incandescent. Is it a built-in transformer thing?

I just touched the glass of one of my 240V AC LED bulbs which has been on all day and it was barely hot.

I've had LED bulbs in these fixtures for the last 4 years without any problems, so it may be a non-issue. The bulbs I have though say on the packaging that they should be in ventilated fixtures, and I have had two die in other similar fixtures over those 4 years. I think some of the early LED bulbs were more susceptible to heat issues than the newer ones. I'm mostly using Cree and Phillips brand 60 watt bulbs sold for around $3 a bulb at Home Depot a few years back when they were trying to push people off of incandescent bulbs.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Jaded Burnout posted:

Halogens and incandescent bulbs can handle a lot more heat than the electronics in a lot of LED bulbs can handle.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Gotcha, thanks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
YMMV but I use Cree 100w equivalents in enclosed spheres in my kitchen. In my experience, Philips is garbage but Cree has no problem. I would spend $10 on trying that before I dropped up to $300 and a lot of hassle on new fixtures.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Anne Whateley posted:

YMMV but I use Cree 100w equivalents in enclosed spheres in my kitchen. In my experience, Philips is garbage but Cree has no problem. I would spend $10 on trying that before I dropped up to $300 and a lot of hassle on new fixtures.
How is going from a 60W equivalent to a 100W equivalent going to substitute for going to multiple 100W equivalents though. Plus any reason to get rid of boob lights is good.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Flipperwaldt posted:

How is going from a 60W equivalent to a 100W equivalent going to substitute for going to multiple 100W equivalents though. Plus any reason to get rid of boob lights is good.

Yeah switching to 100W bulbs will help, but the room is large with 9ft ceilings and very poor natural light, I really need new fixtures I think. I guess I'll just scan the big box stores.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

this is what I was responding to:

quote:

I've got 60 watt equivalent LEDs in them, and would go higher except that the fixtures are closed and I think that 100 watt equivalent LEDs would cook themselves.
I'm just saying mine don't, so he can go higher like he wants.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I would say yours "haven't yet", or else you've probably got bulbs rated for fully enclosed fixtures. LED bulbs are supposed to last between 10 and 15 years, so the fact that I've had 2 fail in under 3 years out of maybe 30 fixtures running them is significant. Both were Cree 60W bulbs not rated for full enclosed fixtures that I was using in them anyway.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I bought some Triangle R20 LEDs for the small cans in my kitchen. Though they specifically state they "can be used in recessed cans and track light fixtures," one of them started flickering at start-up, and not long after that it didn't look right ... and on closer inspection it was hanging lower because the housing had cracked and the light was hanging by its wires. I thought it was just one bad one, but eventually another failed, and another. I bought some Hyperikon PAR20s and they've been a lot better. Decent CRI, and nice and warm at 2700K.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Hello, new favorite thread.

So I am in the process of closing on a condo, and I’m very excited because it’s a modern loft style and I can finally get my MCM on. I have about 60 days to get my act together. I want to buy things once and be done with it, & I’m all about the Swedish Teak Spaceship from the OP, industrial fixtures, minimalism, feed it into my veins.

Here is my first concern. I have a Barcelona lounge chair with an ottoman, in black leather. It is my single favorite piece of furniture on earth, I will die on this hill. Is it tacky to get a white leather loveseat in the same Barcelona style (mainly because i found a cheap one on CL) or should I find one in matching black? Also is a sheep shearling throw blanket ugly on a leather couch? I cannot resist a clearance sale at ikea.

I work as a photographer, is it bad taste to have my own work on the walls?

Phone posting but I’ll try to get pictures when I can.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 4, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

red19fire posted:

Here is my first concern. I have a Barcelona lounge chair with an ottoman, in black leather. It is my single favorite piece of furniture on earth, I will die on this hill. Is it tacky to get a white leather loveseat in the same Barcelona style (mainly because i found a cheap one on CL) or should I find one in matching black? Also is a sheep shearling throw blanket ugly on a leather couch? I cannot resist a clearance sale at ikea.

I mean, that's a taste thing, right? I don't personally sway that far into your aesthetic so I would find it all ugly, but if it makes you happy get all monochromatic up in that poo poo.

red19fire posted:

Based on film and television it's a requirement, so someone can comment on how deep and meaningful you are.

But presumably you took the photo because the subject was something of interest, energy, or emotion, so that feels like a good thing to have around the place.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

red19fire posted:

Your friends will take the piss out of you for it but the prospective mates you bring home will find you "deep" and "artistic" so it depends.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Don't be like BTW IT'S MINE all the time, but other than that, it's fine. The white loveseat is fine if that's what you want; mixing colors doesn't make it any tackier. The sheepskin is totally ubiquitous by this point. That doesn't make it bad, but it's seriously as common as, although less annoying than, Keep Calm posters. If you're gonna put it on the white couch, can you spring for an actual sheepskin, not from Ikea, and choose a black or spotted one?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

red19fire posted:

Hello, new favorite thread.

So I am in the process of closing on a condo, and I’m very excited because it’s a modern loft style and I can finally get my MCM on. I have about 60 days to get my act together. I want to buy things once and be done with it, & I’m all about the Swedish Teak Spaceship from the OP, industrial fixtures, minimalism, feed it into my veins.

Phone posting but I’ll try to get pictures when I can.

You could do a sheep throw but I wouldn’t do an ikea one.

I wouldn’t do two leathers, I’d do a light cloth. However, if you can buy a used Barcelona couch for like 3-4k it might be worth trying to make it work. You could probably sell it for a wash at worst.

I think you could put your own work on the walls as long as you’re not blatantly self-advertising (don’t sign them or add a plaque) or else it makes you look like an egomaniac.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I might be going with my parents to look at this house today.

I just really would love to see that bathroom in person.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

the popular kids posted:

Those windows on the front are god-awful.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

You don't like the windows on a house built in *squints* ...1918? Have you no taste!? They're antique!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

the popular kids posted:

You don't like the windows on a house built in *squints* ...1918? Have you no taste!? They're antique!

Well, they do say it's been "beautifully and extensively modernized" ... I think they're perhaps half right!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

the popular kids posted:

They look like stickers.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I'm not liking the front windows too much, but I kinda like the interior, with some reservations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

the popular kids posted:

That kitchen...

It's wood, wood, wood, BLACK HOLE KITCHEN, wood, wood, wood.

Also, why this diagonal transition strip along an otherwise uninterrupted (both layout direction and room-wise) floor?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Distracts from the poo poo-brown oversized dadcouch.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

red19fire posted:

As a designer I have a few prints I made in college hanging around. I also have an enormous gig poster collection and some really nice prints from Nagel, Klein and McKnight along with some local stuff.

Basically if you like it put it on your wall. I don't shout about it, just fits in with the rest of what I collect. Also invest in nice frames. My gig poster collection could use an upgrade bad, but it's almost 20 posters and I should have framed them in something nicer from the start.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Also, why this diagonal transition strip along an otherwise uninterrupted (both layout direction and room-wise) floor?

Maybe there used to be a wall there?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

No sir, I don't like it. Even though nobody can see any detail, I'd still feel like I had no privacy in there.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Facebook Aunt posted:

No sir, I don't like it. Even though nobody can see any detail, I'd still feel like I had no privacy in there.

Yeah, the one time I am OK not having a window is in a (properly vented) bathroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Apparently I know someone who knows the person selling the house. Foundation is garbage and the whole house is shifting so all upgrades are just lipstick on a pig.