Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is something that security researchers deal with all the time, even for malware that doesn't come on a piece of hardware. a decent malware writer has checks in their code to figure out if it might be running in a test environment, and it will refuse to do its tricky bits if it thinks this is the case

there are devices that are basically passive taps for usb, the idea is you plug it into an actual replica of your target system (down to the hardware, no virtual machine or anything) and analyse what it does, not what's on it. that's probably a level of paranoia too high for your typical corporate "usb key found in the car park" situation, but you'd have thought the secret service and the fbi would have at least thought about this a little bit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

goddamnedtwisto posted:

there are devices that are basically passive taps for usb, the idea is you plug it into an actual replica of your target system (down to the hardware, no virtual machine or anything) and analyse what it does, not what's on it. that's probably a level of paranoia too high for your typical corporate "usb key found in the car park" situation, but you'd have thought the secret service and the fbi would have at least thought about this a little bit...

the FBI likely has. the USSS apparently not so much.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Raere posted:

is anyone turning away from cisco given their nonstop pants on head stupid vulns or are they still worth it?

I jumped from Cisco and have never looked back. Junos and Arista EoS are so much better.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol thanks but yeah someone else informed me when I used that joke after they bought nginx :tipshat:

It was a pretty good joke :tipshat:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Juniper is dandy if all you need to do is move a poo poo ton of packets cheaply but their security offerings are dogshit

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Juniper is dandy if all you need to do is move a poo poo ton of packets cheaply but their security offerings are dogshit

Modern Network Security is trash, and the sooner people move to a zero trust network the better. For a zero trust network, SRXs are great.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Modern Network Security is trash, and the sooner people move to a zero trust network the better. For a zero trust network, SRXs are great.

Ding ding ding. Zero trust all the way for me.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You still need some kind of border firewall and maybe IPS to keep the internet from thrashing your routing core with unmitigated garbage and Juniper can't do those roles well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

You still need some kind of border firewall and maybe IPS to keep the internet from thrashing your routing core with unmitigated garbage and Juniper can't do those roles well.

I kind of assumed he included those :psyduck:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

oh, cool, question answered, you can just snoop the USB mass storage traffic and build up a disk image from there

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/city-treasurer-sent-100k-to-fraudster-1.5088744

quote:

City treasurer Marian Simulik fell for a "fake CEO scam" and wired more than $100,000 to a fraudster last summer, Ottawa's audit committee heard Monday afternoon.

Last July, Simulik received an email that appeared to come from city manager Steve Kanellakos, asking her to pay a city supplier in the amount of $97,797.20 US, currently worth about $130,000 Cdn.

Simulik traded a few emails with the fake city manager, then sent the requested amount to a U.S. bank account.

It turns out that bank account was being monitored by the U.S. secret service, which let the City of Ottawa know it had been the subject of a fraud scheme.

The city has since taken measures to avoid such phishing scams, including automatic warnings when emails come from an external source.

oh boy technology, that thing that definitely fixes hte problem of people doing unwise things

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is something that security researchers deal with all the time, even for malware that doesn't come on a piece of hardware. a decent malware writer has checks in their code to figure out if it might be running in a test environment, and it will refuse to do its tricky bits if it thinks this is the case

I liked the one that was flash embedded in a word document and they put it on the third page so it would never be picked up by sandboxing but it had an extremely high hit rate with actual people because if you see more than one blank page the first thing you do is scroll down

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Really loving ballsy for them to go after a government. it's like the only actor which would have the legal authority, international connections, and sheer vindictiveness to track your rear end down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Really loving ballsy for them to go after a government. it's like the only actor which would have the legal authority, international connections, and sheer vindictiveness to track your rear end down.

Most of these places have Fraud/Security insurance for a reason.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/city-treasurer-sent-100k-to-fraudster-1.5088744

oh boy technology, that thing that definitely fixes hte problem of people doing unwise things

when i read "bank account being monitored by the secret service" i assumed the next line was going to be "who asked them to send the money again so they could trace it, then three more times"

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Shifty Pony posted:

the FBI likely has. the USSS apparently not so much.

It's possible people could be this stupid, but it's also just as likely this never even happened or they did it on purpose so they could describe scary-sounding hacker things happening.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ErIog posted:

It's possible people could be this stupid, but it's also just as likely this never even happened or they did it on purpose so they could describe scary-sounding hacker things happening.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1115382149379653634

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

agent ivanovich is not the sharpest tool in the shed

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

huh, turns out Skyfall was realistic

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

~Coxy posted:

huh, turns out Skyfall was realistic

autorun still works on modern Windows PCs? :stare:

like that part sounds a bit sketchy to me. I thought having software run after you pop in removable media was disabled in windows a long time ago

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 9, 2019

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I think windows nwo asks you if you want to autorun or open

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Celexi posted:

I think windows nwo asks you if you want to autorun or open

lol so basically their agents just clicked autorun without thinking? yikes

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
no it was more likely a rubber ducky style device that pretends to be a keyboard

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

some goon discord bot was compromised and used to doxx multiple people with threats of swatting, apparently.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
How does a discord bot doxx you, are goon communities requiring full name, address and ssn for identity verification? :thunk:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

baram. posted:

some goon discord bot was compromised and used to doxx multiple people with threats of swatting, apparently.

:psyduck: how does that even work? access to private servers/rooms or something?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

USB bus analysers are crazy expensive, or were last time I purchased one. I can't imagine any agency would be able to justify the cost of testing every USB device they process on something like that. Even if they did, a 10 minute delay on the hub becoming active would defeat it.

Good idea, but I have no idea how you could scale it to the needs of an investigative body.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

SeaborneClink posted:

How does a discord bot doxx you, are goon communities requiring full name, address and ssn for identity verification? :thunk:
yours don't?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

yoloer420 posted:

USB bus analysers are crazy expensive, or were last time I purchased one. I can't imagine any agency would be able to justify the cost of testing every USB device they process on something like that. Even if they did, a 10 minute delay on the hub becoming active would defeat it.

Good idea, but I have no idea how you could scale it to the needs of an investigative body.

Well a bit of triage is needed.

USB in a pile of USBs hidden in the wall of someone you just raided after tracking pedo poo poo to their IP address? throw it on the secure duplicator.

USB from a suspected spy with five cell phones, $7500 in cash that they lied to you about, and hidden camera detection equipment? be pretty drat careful.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol the symantec firewall has to make disk calls to open ports good lord this stupid product

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Meh they should just get the audio from the listening devices she was wearing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's me, the interviewer who doesn't personally verify the recording before every interview

i was a loving dismal interrogator but that part even i could get right

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Perplx posted:

the real question is did it use an old exploit, a new exploit or did it emulate a keyboard

you can get a flash drive to auto-run like a CD in windows still, right? i bet it was that :v:

e: lol i should scroll up more

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 9, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

hi im real ceo man please give me all the money in bitcoins

i'm also away on very important ceo business which is why my email is external but it's important that the money happens quick for the important business!!!

see here is proof that i'm out of the office:

sent form my ipone

mystes
May 31, 2006

Perplx posted:

the real question is did it use an old exploit, a new exploit or did it emulate a keyboard
Nobody bothers because emulating a keyboard will be enough 99% of the time, but honestly even if it used a "new exploit" that wouldn't actually be that interesting. By default windows will automatically install drivers for new usb devices, so if you're a government spy agency or something and want to exploit a computer via usb you could look through every lovely usb driver for every lovely usb device that windows 10 supports to find something you can exploit. Since vulnerabilities in drivers aren't even something that people are looking for in the first place, I'm guessing that there are probably hundreds of thousands of them.

It's not like finding a 0-day vulnerability in locked up-to-date iphones or something.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

you would have thought that an agent tasked with analysing a usb device of a foreign agent would be doing something more sophisticated than just plugging it into windows 10 and seeing what happened.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Chalks posted:

you would have thought that an agent tasked with analysing a usb device of a foreign agent would be doing something more sophisticated than just plugging it into windows 10 and seeing what happened.

"YOLO"

--The Secret Service

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
if I was a nation state and I haven’t already owned mar a lago I’m definitely gonna do it like, next week

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

flakeloaf posted:

i was a loving dismal interrogator but that part even i could get right

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

if I was a nation state and I haven’t already owned mar a lago I’m definitely gonna do it like, next week

seems like it would be easiest to just pay one of the many almost certainly sub minimal wage employees to plant something tbh