Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

One thread should be good. Especially if the OP is regularly updated with what season/s are currently airing and the dates and times they air. Helps folks to know when not to read the newest posts if they don't want to get a spoiler...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Ok it only took a few hours for the season 40 gimmick to be spoilt whilst I was scrolling through YouTube. Oh well, looks fun!

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Edit: actually I guess I should refrain and watch all the seasons I haven’t yet so I don’t spoil myself on those too!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So apparently, Vecepia, Todd, Chris Daugherty, and Richard were all never even asked to compete. Wow, that's pretty harsh to Vecepia and Todd. Todd has liver issues but I imagine they'd at least run him through medical first.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

ApplesandOranges posted:

So apparently, Vecepia, Todd, Chris Daugherty, and Richard were all never even asked to compete. Wow, that's pretty harsh to Vecepia and Todd. Todd has liver issues but I imagine they'd at least run him through medical first.

If the rumors about him being back on the sauce are true, the withdrawal would be too dangerous for them to risk. A lot of people don't realize it but it can be fatal, especially at the levels Todd was drinking when he went on Dr. Phil (I'm assuming the relapse is about as bad).

Anyway, I'm good with that entire cast, even Sarah, and I don't think I've ever thought that about a cast of veterans. This will probably rule.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Machine posted:

If the rumors about him being back on the sauce are true, the withdrawal would be too dangerous for them to risk. A lot of people don't realize it but it can be fatal, especially at the levels Todd was drinking when he went on Dr. Phil (I'm assuming the relapse is about as bad).

Anyway, I'm good with that entire cast, even Sarah, and I don't think I've ever thought that about a cast of veterans. This will probably rule.

If I remember correctly, that Dr Phil episode was a major hoax. He came into the studio sober, and they gave him a bottle of vodka and some Xanex before putting him on the air.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

JakeP posted:

If I remember correctly, that Dr Phil episode was a major hoax. He came into the studio sober, and they gave him a bottle of vodka and some Xanex before putting him on the air.

Ehhh getting him plastered for Team TV doesn't discount the real life problems they were addressing, it's just yet another thing that delegitimizes Dr. Phil. I'm using what it was claimed he was drinking as a benchmark, not how he behaved on camera.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JakeP posted:

I don't see how that's a "hoax". If true it makes the people at Dr. Phil scum but if you lack the self control to not drink and take pills before you go on a tv show talking about your addiction to booze and pills than its probably still your problem. There's just lovely enablers looking to capitalize off it.

To that end I'm fine with CBS not inviting Todd back. They probably have more insight into his state of being or health than we do. Hatch is old and sexually assaulted someone the last time he played. Chris is basically known as King Misogynist. So like... Sorry to Vecepia but also there's probably no one asking for her return so... whatcha gonna do?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Survivor South Africa S7 started. The first episode is pretty good. The gimmick is Island of Secrets which is roughly Ghost Island without the "This is X's idol from season Y" dressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7MOG0HiVQI
You need a South African proxy/VPN or a friend. They might take down the geoblock at some point but idk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUr9xkulJA8

I think this might be international? I spent an hour trying and failing to set up a VPN or find a working proxy setup but then youtube's recommendations had this video "up next" and it worked raw for me here in the US. I'm into it so far! I do wish CBS had some kind of Survivor-service, I'd pay to watch all Survivors streaming without any hassle but I think even being an avid survivor watcher puts me in some weird demographic already. As for a thread, why not just use this or or the current one?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't see how that's a "hoax". If true it makes the people at Dr. Phil scum but if you lack the self control to not drink and take pills before you go on a tv show talking about your addiction to booze and pills than its probably still your problem. There's just lovely enablers looking to capitalize off it.

To that end I'm fine with CBS not inviting Todd back. They probably have more insight into his state of being or health than we do. Hatch is old and sexually assaulted someone the last time he played. Chris is basically known as King Misogynist. So like... Sorry to Vecepia but also there's probably no one asking for her return so... whatcha gonna do?

Honestly, Vecepia is such an old winner that it'd be interesting to see how she plays in modern Survivor. Danni fills that role too I guess, but I wouldn't have minded seeing more winners from the older half of the show.

I do wonder if they bothered asking Chris Underwood back for this season. I think he's gonna be one of the last male winners they'd ever bring back considering the controversy of his win (and I don't think I've seen Probst looked that unsatisfied with naming a winner since Michele).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, given time you might bring Chris back just to say "ok, hotshot, try playing the game this time." But he doesn't have any real place in the All Winners season right after his win. And you don't want to give him that "no one really knows what he did or how he won" edge. But then again me and CBS don't often think of things the same way.

I wouldn't have been upset to see Vecepia back. But like, she wasn't even really seen as an interesting or good winner at the time so I'm not sad she's not there. Besides maybe a little more diversity or something.

Honestly I'm mostly surprised more people aren't sad Cochran isn't back.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I imagine people aren't biting for Cochran to come back because... well, Caramoan wasn't a very good season. And despite CBS loving him, I think most people don't really like Cochran that much. Probably even less so since the show gave us Christian.

And I'm not sure he does anything for the cast that Nick/Adam don't already fill as the eager superfan. I guess it'd be mildly interesting to see him and Sophie reunite, but otherwise I don't think I'm missing him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I don't like him and was never impressed with his win. I guess i just had a distorted perception of how much of a fan favorite he was here or from the way Jeff pushes him.

But you make a good point. There's been so many other notable versions of the archetype since him that it makes sense that people liked him more before they met Adam and Nick and David and Christian and Spencer and Aubry and Hannah and Gabby and whoever else.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Is anyone reading this thread happy that we're using spoiler tags for an early unofficial Season 40 Cast/theme reveal because they don't want to be spoiled? There are no boot order spoilers, of course.

If no one says anything after a few days, I think we can drop it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think its a big deal. At least for myself I don't mind typing the extra tag or hovering over the bars if it keeps someone from learning something they didn't want to know. Its not like there's any other spoilers so there's no confusion about what's under the bars or anything.

Like the only harm is that a few people might be missing out on a conversation.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Some people seriously hate spoilers of any kind. I'm cool with the spoiler bars graciously given us by the forums gods.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
(S40 casting chat) Cochran would absolutely be on the Season 40 cast if he was willing and able. Like him or not, he's one of the few names that almost every Survivor fan (casual or otherwise) could recognize right next to Parvati and Russell. The thing all 3 of those players have in common are being name-dropped during seasons they're not even on (both by players in game and by Probst at the reunion), and always come up in the "What player are you most like?" pre-game questionaire.

I'm sure that if he was on there would be a vocal minority of fans loudly whining online about how overrated he is but production loves that kind of stuff because at least it gets people talking about the show. They'll take a polarizing player like Cochran or Rick Devens over a straightforward player like Gavin any day of the week.

The easiest explanation for why he's not on is that he currently works for CBS and/or is too chummy with Probst, and the next easiest explanation is he's too busy with work and can't get / doesn't want to take the time off.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i'm just fine continuing to use spoilers (and also just fine NOT using spoilers, so, whatever).

It does feel like people should have the option to not have the full cast list spoiled for a season that isn't even officially announced yet. I don't understand necessarily how not having that information would improve their life, but i get it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I think this might be international? I spent an hour trying and failing to set up a VPN or find a working proxy setup but then youtube's recommendations had this video "up next" and it worked raw for me here in the US. I'm into it so far! I do wish CBS had some kind of Survivor-service, I'd pay to watch all Survivors streaming without any hassle but I think even being an avid survivor watcher puts me in some weird demographic already. As for a thread, why not just use this or or the current one?
That youtube link is for S5. S7 is airing now. The Survivor discord should point you in the right direction. Once you find Ep 1 it's not hard to do the math on Ep 2 when that airs on Thursday.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cockran works for CBS now. As I'm pretty sure Survivor has to follow some of the game show laws, I can't really see how letting him compete in a game show on CBS would be okay.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

That youtube link is for S5. S7 is airing now. The Survivor discord should point you in the right direction. Once you find Ep 1 it's not hard to do the math on Ep 2 when that airs on Thursday.

Thank you for that, v helpful.

Kind of spoiler for s38 and Game of Thrones: Bran winning the Game of Thrones is basically Chris winning Edge of Extinction. Spends most of the show off doing something most people don't see or care about... still wins.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
loving Yikes, Jeff Probst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwPzcS9DEg&t=38s

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jeepers! :yikes:

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
it's amazing that season even happened and someone gave the ok for jeff to do that skit

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
https://twitter.com/crunderwood37/status/1130558555793297411

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

STAC Goat posted:

Under 40 is definitely young by any standard, but off the top of my head (and with some googling to confirm ages) Lance Cade died at 29, Eddie Guerrero at 38, Brian Pillman at 35, etc... There's LOTS more.

Its a cesspool and a meat grinder that uses people and throws them away. Massaro not only had drug and health problems but she alleged that she had suffered numerous concussions that WWE brushed off and that she had been sexually assaulted on a WWE tour and WWE pushed her to cover it up. Even wrestling fans were ESPECIALLY vulgar and hostile to Massaro for dumb reasons.

It's so loving hideous that thinking about it is giving me an ulcer. What if the pinnacle of your life was becoming a small part of a machine that only exists to squeeze money out of your aesthetic and athletic prime, and if anything bad was to happen, throw you away. What if all of life was structured around that. Ahh poo poo

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Okay I wasn't a huge fan of the Chris win until this. I'm into it now.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
Alright, I re-got into Survivor during David vs. Goliath and I'm looking for recommendations on which are the best seasons to watch. I've mainly used this list as a guide(http://www.purplerockpodcast.com/survivor-season-rankings-spoiler-free-summaries/) and I've tried to prioritize non-returner seasons before stuff like HvV (which was well worth being familiar with most of the returning players when I got around to it!)

Here's what I've seen:

Heroes vs. Villains
Micronesia: Fans vs. Favorites
Cagayan: BBB
Cook Islands (race wars lol)
Pearl Islands
China
Tocantins
Blood vs. Water (S27)
Kaoh Rong
David vs. Goliath
Edge of Extinction

And then I'm pretty sure I've seen Seasons like 1-6 when they originally aired, though I don't remember a ton. Actually watching S1 again right now and it's completely bizarre how different the show is. people are outright rejecting alliances! at the merge like four different people get votes and Jenna's like "i feel like there might have been a conspiracy and Tagi's voting against us" like it's a surprise! hilarious.

I'm interested in Cambodia: Second Chance next, but since returnees is the theme, I want to make sure I've seen enough of their previous seasons for the full impact. Anything I should make sure to watch before it?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

philippines!! Great season + a returnee in Cambodia

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
I don't want to tell you what season to watch in order to fully appreciate Second Chances, as it would reveal the winner, but it's an okay season. You've already seen what's considered to be the top seasons by most people, and some inexplicably bad seasons like Kaoh Rong.

Main point I want to make is don't watch some of the dogshit seasons (Gabon, Redemption Island, One World, Nicaragua).

I personally am a pretty huge fan of Guatemala and think it has the charm of oldschool Survivor while having some memorable characters. A fair amount of people don't love it but it's definitely in the top 5 for me personally, as someone who's watched since the start. I could make an argument for Ghost Island just because there are a few really good players on the season (and many really bad ones) but it's good to see some people steamrolling, with a unique ending.

Edit: ^^ Philippines also has the honor of featuring convicted pedo piece of poo poo Mike Skupin.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
San Juan Del Ser is a hugely underrated season. It's got a slow start but really picks up after the Merge.

(Don't read this PopZeus, obviously)I love that the entire season is basically Natalie's Kill Bill story as one by one she takes out everyone who has ever wronged her

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I like Kaoh Rong! Millennials Vs. GenX is worth watching (the theme isn’t too hammed up after the tribes swap). Gabon as the comedy option.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh yeah, big +1 for MvGx

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

derp posted:

Hi I didn't read the thread but just watched the finale and had to vent. what a loving stupid gimmick and what a waste of an otherwise great season.

I only made it about halfway through, I think when Devens came back, maybe one episode after? The other EoEers going bonkers over the opportunity to be tortured more was it for me. I've seen all of every single other season and I don't think I'll ever finish this one.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Zesty posted:

Not included:

Richard Hatch - probably should have been in there if it was possible
Tina Wesson - deserves it but we've seen her pretty many times, so ok
Vecepia Toery - I think she's pretty underrated and could've perhaps stolen it
Brian Heidik
Jenna Morasca
Chris Daugherty
Tom Westman
Aras Bashkauskas
Earl Cole - would've been good
Todd Herzog
Bob Crowley
JT Thomas
Natalie White - maybe would've been interesting
Fabio Birza
John Cochran - would've been good
Mike Holloway - i guess it was him or Ben
Chris Underwood - haha
Season 39 Winner

Really exciting cast! Some great gets with Parv, Kim, Yul, Sandra, Rob

but Rob and Amber both, can that really be right? Kinda weird and they've got like 5 kids

maybe one of them will one-up Ciera Eastin's Big Move

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's so loving hideous that thinking about it is giving me an ulcer. What if the pinnacle of your life was becoming a small part of a machine that only exists to squeeze money out of your aesthetic and athletic prime, and if anything bad was to happen, throw you away. What if all of life was structured around that. Ahh poo poo

You talkin bout Survivor or WWE? :p

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rarity posted:

Oh yeah, big +1 for MvGx

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
MvGx is a really weird one for me - I liked it well enough watching it, but now that it's over I'm not sure there's any singular aspect of it I'm raving about. It's an inoffensive season, I guess, and it's produced a couple of okay/fun returnees.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
In addition to fun characters, MvGX features a lot of unexpected votes, some nice last minute switches, some good old fashioned Emotions™, and at least one legitimately historic tribal council. It's not the season that introduced me to Survivor, but it did introduce me to Survivor podcasts due to me seeing the finale, hearing the winner's story, and typing their name into Google muttering "no loving way that's real."

(It was.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think Phillip also had a crazy couple of stories, though he wasn't a winner, and his stories almost could not possibly be true.