Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Riven posted:

In the Beginning was fun, although left me with the question, are Minbari souls actually being reborn into human bodies, or did they literally randomly grab the only human who would read like that?

Delenn is the one who chose, following Kosh's "the truth points to itself" remark. Kosh knows who is in that ship so she's clearly being guided to choose someone significant rather than any random human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Sweevo posted:

Delenn is the one who chose, following Kosh's "the truth points to itself" remark. Kosh knows who is in that ship so she's clearly being guided to choose someone significant rather than any random human.

It’s kind of hilarious that nobody ever double checked with anyone else then.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

There's a line or two in season two when they're talking about it about how they brought other humans aboard to confirm the result

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

There's a line or two in season two when they're talking about it about how they brought other humans aboard to confirm the result

Given the Minbari relationship to the truth though, I always took that line to mean they checked other humans and the confirmation they actually got was that yes, specifically, Sinclair is Valen, because he lit up the triluminary like a christmas tree. That said, I've always understood the triluminary to be specifically Valen's DNA keyed (which is why it also lights up for Delenn) and all of the stuff about souls to be entirely unknowable/metaphysical and not something that they were actually able to verify.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's keying off DNA. Human & Minbari in general, and specifically the hybrid DNA they both end up with. It's detecting traces in his and her descendants among the Minbari, general readings in Humans and non-carrying Minbari. And going nuts for him.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

On the other hand...we see souls as objectively existing when soul hunter shows up so maybe it's just souls.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

CainFortea posted:

On the other hand...we see souls as objectively existing when soul hunter shows up so maybe it's just souls.

Minbari and Soul Hunters believing in souls doesn't make them real. Maybe the Soul Hunter just had a fancy machine that makes copies of people's brainwaves (a bit like when Kosh made a recording of Talia). The show doesn't pick a side on the issue at all.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Sweevo posted:

The show doesn't pick a side on the issue at all.

Yes. That's what i'm saying.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Well sorry the recaps from me died off, but I made it. That was beautiful, and I’ll be joining you all beyond the rim.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Riven posted:

Well sorry the recaps from me died off, but I made it. That was beautiful, and I’ll be joining you all beyond the rim.

Whoo! One of us. One of us.

-the First Ones (probably)

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Is there anywhere to watch this show on streaming so I can watch it on the big screen? I remember, vaguely, it being on HBO but that appears to have gone the way of the Dodo.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Tubi. It’s a free, ad supported streaming service that comes across shady as hell but is actually a real thing.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Riven posted:

Tubi. It’s a free, ad supported streaming service that comes across shady as hell but is actually a real thing.

I was googling and it turns out the Blu Rays remasters came out this week! Maybe it's time for an Early Christmas present...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Riven posted:

I got a good look at their operation when I interviewed there a few years ago. I didn't win the coin toss with the other final candidate, but that sure looked like a decent organization with people I'd have enjoyed working with.

Their one IT guy at the time was a former sound engineer. His network closet was unparalleled perfection, I've never seen a patch panel that tightly organized and neat. All Velcro too, not a zip tie in the whole suite.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

My experience with tubi is that it's like what streaming services used to be like. There's a bunch of small stuff, and I suspect this is because it's ad based rather than subscription based. The royalties are always covered by the ad revenue, so there's no incentive to take things down if they don't drive enough subscriptions.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

Do people have an opinion on the aspect ratio? It's my understanding that the show was filmed in 16:9 but aired in 4:3. From what I've read, it was known that it would be aired in 4:3 so 16:9 was more of an attempt to future proof the series rather than 4:3 being a hack job in the editing room.

Finally, DVDs are in 16:9 but the Blu-ray set releases this week are 4:3, although better quality than the DVDs?

For a show this beloved, you'd think this wouldn't be this hard. I just want to know which version to watch!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

TitusGroen posted:

Do people have an opinion on the aspect ratio? It's my understanding that the show was filmed in 16:9 but aired in 4:3. From what I've read, it was known that it would be aired in 4:3 so 16:9 was more of an attempt to future proof the series rather than 4:3 being a hack job in the editing room.

Finally, DVDs are in 16:9 but the Blu-ray set releases this week are 4:3, although better quality than the DVDs?

For a show this beloved, you'd think this wouldn't be this hard. I just want to know which version to watch!

Going from memory - they knew 16:9 was likely the wave of the future, so they filmed in it. Everything CGI (which is most of the effects) was rendered after the aspect ratio change, so the effects just sort of cut off at the boundaries of that 4:3 frame. That meant that to do the 16:9 releases, they could use the original 16:9 footage for scenes without CGI, but had to resort to zooming in on a 16:9 section of the 4:3 frame to make anything with CGI in it work. Some of the resulting shots looked like absolute crap. Going back to 4:3 means they can at least use the original unmolested CGI.

The original CGI models are supposedly out there somewhere, and it someone wanted to spend the money, they could re-render all the shots in HD 16:9, which would be amazing. (Personally I think they should also redo a lot of them from scratch and fix some of the issues, but whatever.) Nobody who would legally be allowed to has shown any sign of doing that yet, so I'm just hoping the models are preserved and usable when the copyright finally expires.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

TitusGroen posted:

This is easy to answer at this point: watch the Blu-ray version (or that same remaster as a digital version). It is the superior home video release, no question.

It is still not perfect – aside from not having the expanded 16:9 ratio, the CGI space shots now have a slightly juddery movement due to being converted from 30 to 24 fps with little care. But it's an all around enjoyable and consistent presentation and likely the best we're ever going to get.

As for the DVD releases, they are rear end. Here's a detailed breakdown of how and why. Actually avoid this link unless you're OK with spoilery screenshots: https://www.modeemi.fi/~leopold/Babylon5/DVD/DVDTransfer.html

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 9, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I watched the whole thing in the streaming-purchase equivalent of the BluRays (purchased from Apple) and thought the presentation was great.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

TitusGroen posted:

They shot in 16:9 but it was kind of half assed - a lot of the 16:9 footage they’ve released has crew members or equipment in shots.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Zat posted:

This is easy to answer at this point: watch the Blu-ray version (or that same remaster as a digital version). It is the superior home video release, no question.

It is still not perfect – aside from not having the expanded 16:9 ratio, the CGI space shots now have a slightly juddery movement due to being converted from 30 to 24 fps without a proper interpolating. But it's an all around enjoyable and consistent presentation and likely the best we're ever going to get.

As for the DVD releases, they are rear end. Here's a detailed breakdown of how and why: https://www.modeemi.fi/~leopold/Babylon5/DVD/DVDTransfer.html

All the cut down CGI sucks rear end, i have a complete box set unopened in storage, all the lovely scenes diminished by crap decisions. :(

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

Chevy Slyme posted:

They shot in 16:9 but it was kind of half assed - a lot of the 16:9 footage they’ve released has crew members or equipment in shots.

Got an screencaps of that? Because I was about to pull the trigger on a DVD set...

Just Another Lurker posted:

All the cut down CGI sucks rear end, i have a complete box set unopened in storage, all the lovely scenes diminished by crap decisions. :(

Oh, is CGI a big part of the show? I watched the first episode and it seemed like fluff. Some shots of outside the station, or some shops flying, but nothing absolutely necessary like in Star Wars.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
There are a lot of space ship sequences, yes, some of them quite epic.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

TitusGroen posted:

Got an screencaps of that? Because I was about to pull the trigger on a DVD set...

Oh, is CGI a big part of the show? I watched the first episode and it seemed like fluff. Some shots of outside the station, or some shops flying, but nothing absolutely necessary like in Star Wars.

All the spaceship stuff is CGI. They didn't have the budget for models. I think the interior stuff used CGI instead of matte paintings for big scenes, too.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And a lot of virtual set extensions, which look awful in some editions.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you've never seen it then absolutely 1000% get the recent HD-ish restoration in 4:3. It's weird to watch it after widescreen but you won't know what you're missing and the show looks much better.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If you can't suspend disbelief for me at bootleg VHS transfer worst you don't deserve to suspend disbelief for me at my remastered best.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

TitusGroen posted:

CGI is a _tremendous_ part of the show.

Not just the obvious stuff like space battles, but also, they were way ahead of their time on doing composite stuff for backgrounds or various effects in shots with live actors - and the biggest problem with 16:9 versions of the show, is these scenes are also 4:3 in the same way as the CGI space sequences are. (And this even includes any shot with a title card or text like opening credits at the start of the episode) so those shots get weirdly cropped and stretched too when converted to 16:9.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

Chevy Slyme posted:

CGI is a _tremendous_ part of the show.

Not just the obvious stuff like space battles, but also, they were way ahead of their time on doing composite stuff for backgrounds or various effects in shots with live actors - and the biggest problem with 16:9 versions of the show, is these scenes are also 4:3 in the same way as the CGI space sequences are. (And this even includes any shot with a title card or text like opening credits at the start of the episode) so those shots get weirdly cropped and stretched too when converted to 16:9.

Ohhh, I see. I could accept mediocre space fluff CGI but if they were using composite shots and those are cropped to zoom in for widescreen then I'll go with the 4:3 remaster.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

TitusGroen posted:

Ohhh, I see. I could accept mediocre space fluff CGI but if they were using composite shots and those are cropped to zoom in for widescreen then I'll go with the 4:3 remaster.

Oh absolutely. There is simply no reason to pay for the DVD version at this point; it is so much worse than the hi-def remaster. It was barely acceptable when it was the only choice.

The new remaster is great, even despite its small flaws.

Zat fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Dec 10, 2023

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Riven posted:

It doesn't appear to be available on Tubi in my region but in the process I did learn Claudia Christian starred in some awful looking short-lived sci-fi series in 2009.
Or two of them? They appear to be related and released in the same year but have different titles.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TitusGroen posted:

Oh, is CGI a big part of the show?

B5 was famously the first TV show to use CGI for 100% of its VFX shots and the first TV series to use virtual sets. So yes, kind of a big thing.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Zat posted:

Oh absolutely. There is simply no reason to pay for the DVD version at this point; it is so much worse than the hi-def remaster. It was barely acceptable when it was the only choice.

The new remaster is great, even despite its small flaws.

I have the DVD from....20 years ago? Certainly when that's all that was on the market. Worth replacing with the Blu-ray?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Platonicsolid posted:

I have the DVD from....20 years ago? Certainly when that's all that was on the market. Worth replacing with the Blu-ray?

If you can stomach the price and plan to rewatch the series, then sure. It's easily the best version out there.

The DVDs were such an inconsistent experience, where the normal filmed stuff looked good while all the composite VFX shots looked horrible and the space stuff looked problematic too. The Blu-ray brings back the consistent visual quality from the original broadcast version but now in HD.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In my research, I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RhmNZIKwgQ,

Which looks just phenomenal. I watched on mute to avoid any spoilers but man, if a fan was able to do this, even with a small team, imagine what studio could do if they just spent the money.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So I've never seen this. But I finished rewatching old trek and finished watching nu trek (except disco, bailed on that crap season 2) and people keep going on about this show and I was recommended this thread to post my thoughts.

S1Ep1 costume design is a mix of great too very budget looking, the makeup looks excellent though, special effects are awful. It's shows how much better practical effects hold up with age. Music kinda sucks. Sets seem to be a mix of ok and bad. Not an overly impressive first episode, but let's continue

S1Ep2 why are there space bums on this station? I guess I'm used to the utopia idea of Trek. Guessing capitalisms still going strong in this universe? The soulhunter would fit in fine in early next gen.

Wait this thing has movies when should I watch those?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 14, 2024

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mega Comrade posted:

So I've never seen this. But I finished rewatching old trek and finished watching nu trek (except disco, bailed on that crap season 2) and people keep going on about this show and I was recommended this thread to post my thoughts.

S1Ep1 costume design is a mix of great too very budge looking, the makeup looks excellent though, special effects are awful. It's shows how much better practical effects hold up with age. Music kinda sucks.

S1Ep2 why are there space bums on this station? I guess I'm used to the utopia idea of Trek. Guessing capitalisms still going strong in this universe? The soulhunter would fit in fine in an early next gen.

Wait this thing has movies?

There is a movie length Pilot - The Gathering. You should watch that now as you get started. It was filmed (and takes place, in universe) a year or two before the show proper starts - so there are some cast/character changes (notably, the First officer, Doctor, and Telepath were all recast/replaced with new people, and Delenn’s makeup changed significantly)

The other movies were made after seasons 4 and 5 and can be worried about later, once you’ve watched much more show. Be wary of the one titles “in the beginning” - it’s a prequel that was made to catch new viewers up between seasons 4 and 5, but it will spoil the gently caress out of everything if you watch it now.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Thanks. I've been told by a few to skip the pilot, which I assume is thw first movie?

S1Ep3 born to the purple - a decent intrigue episode, decent world building. Horny human hitting on everyone was funny, especially toothy virgina face women. Landos acting is pretty hammy but enjoyable.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
The pilot movie is fine. As someone who went through this experience about a year ago, I watched it, my wife didn’t, we both enjoyed the series equally. Everything you need to know about the pilot is referenced in the show appropriately.

It’s skippable but it’s not as bad as many people make it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Gathering is the pilot/first movie, yes. It is bad, people suggest you skip it because it's bad enough it's driven off viewers before. I would say watch it when you're committed to the show. Everything important is brought up later but it's still interesting to see the evolution of the show between pilot and series IMO.